The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Question of the Day!

745 posts / 0 new
Last post
Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

New day, new question!

Who did Pydro just point the finger at?

If I come back to another string of "Matchstickman"s...

No questions on Sundays from me, if someone else wants to post one, feel free.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

New Sunday, new question!

DELETED question about income inequality. Sorry about that folks. It probably would have been fine, but maybe it's not a good idea to tempt fate by posting something that's reasonably likely to drift into politics.

SO, something else: Where's the best place to live in the world?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I don’t think anyone has a fully satisfactory answer on that. 

Edit:  To answer the altered question I like Ohio

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I like living in the suburbs that are close enough to places of importance, so you know you'll have a little bit of privacy but are still close enough to things that you don't feel like you live in the boonies.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

No answers to my question? Are you all so scared of mods you're not prepared to speak up?

Deleted answer to deleted question.

Answer to the altered question- Home.

Thanks for the Sunday question Andy!

New day, new question!

Simple question, what's your favourite food?

This week is half-term so the time of question posting might be more erratic this week.

Powerhound_2000

Pizza.  More specifically a buffalo chicken pizza.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Chicken Tikka Masala.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Salad... 

:-)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

My local grocery store often sells in its deli this ridiculously tasty Vermont mac & cheese bake I became addicted to, to the point where the clerks now lightly tease me about ordering it every time I go grocery shopping. :3

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

More often then not, it's a good and well prepared cheese burger. You'd be surprised how hard it is to find the perfect burger.

For something a little out of the ordinary: the Buffalo Calamari this little Italian place downtown makes. It's the exact same thing as their regular calamari, but they then coat it with buffalo sauce. I find myself craving it every so-often.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Chocolate

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Those all sound delicious!

Although I absolutely adore a nice vindaloo, the one food I cannot resist is Ice Cream. So many lovely flavours to combine.

New day, new question!

How many country flags do you know aside from your own?

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

Maybe 4

Powerhound_2000

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Well, all the other ones in the UK of course, and a bunch of other European flags. I know a couple of African ones (Kenya and South Africa come to mind), and can probably recognise Australia and New Zealand (though may get confused as to which is which). Also know Canada, the US, Brazil...Chile too, I think, thanks to Top Gear. What other continents are there...oh yeah, Asia...yeah I know some Asian flags too (at least India, Japan, China, South Korea, and maybe a couple of others).

Yeah, so...actually more than I might first have thought :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

Upwards of a dozen.  Mostly ones with 2 colors or less.

Basketkeep
Basketkeep's picture

I would say I know about 10-15 flags outside of my country, and could probably tell you where a few more came from if I saw them.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

In a similar camp, somehwere around and possibly above 10.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I know my home flag (and other UK ones) and a handful of other nearby countries, the further you get away the less likely I am to know it, until we get right on the other side of the world, I know my Australian and new Zealand flags, it's just everything inbetween that's a blur!

New day, new question!

Remakes/reboots! Can you think of any off the top of your head that you have preferred to the originals?

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Remakes:

the 1940 Mark of Zorro over the 1920 version

His Girl Friday over The Front Page

The live action Jungle Book over the animated version

David Fincher Girl with the Dragon Tattoo over the Swedish version

Reboots:

Batman Begins over the Tim Burton Batman film series

Rise of the Planet of the Apes over the 1968 film.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

There are some good ones there Dandolo that I hadn't thought of!

The two that spring to mind for me are both westerns, the West Worlds series has been leaps and bounds ahead of the original (and the original was pretty good), and the Magnificient Seven (1960) over Seven Samurai, which is great but in a different way.

New day, new question!

Libraries! When was the last time you used one? Do you ever check physical books out of them or do you/can you check out digital books? Do you think libraries will die out as people digital books become a bigger thing?

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

I haven't been to the library for a couple of months. I prefer physical books to digital, so I've never checked a digital book out. I think libraries are probably going to continue to see drops in their circulation numbers due to digital versions of books. However, hopefully they will be able to find ways to adapt and stay relevant to their communities.

Powerhound_2000

I went to the library last weekend.  I’m not sure if this library has digital books offhand I’ve only checked out physical books.  I think there many be fewer libraries over time but I don’t see them completely going away.  

Basketkeep
Basketkeep's picture

I went to a library last week. I didn't checkout any book though.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Hmm, last time I used a library would've been a few years ago. I still read, I'm just currently re-reading some of the books I actually own so don't need to go to a library right now ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I last went into the library at the beginning of the week, and currently have 2 books checked out that need renewing on Saturday, so off I go again tomorrow! Will they go away? I think the phsyical book side of them will be phased out, but my local one does a roaring trade with digital books and is also used as a meeting place for various groups so I think they might shift focus to that (are they still a library if they have no physical books? who knows!).

New day, new question!

They say that travel broadens the mind, but have you traveled to another country for anything other than a holiday?

Trajector
Trajector's picture

I went to Canada several years ago for a research conference.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Also went to Canada, but for a Model UN conference (in college). 

I have worked with lots of folks who have traveled internationally for work, but I haven't taken advantage of the opportunity. 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Breaking a rule by answering yesterday's question, but I figure I have a bit of say in the matter since I actually work at a library. I don't think physical libraries will be phased out any time soon, but like what Dandolo suggested, they need to adapt and change with the times to stay relevent to the modern day.

For example, my branch(of the 21 in our county that do the same) doesn't exclusivly carry only physical, regular format books.  We've got a section of Large print books for the elderly and visualy impared. We cary books on CD which are very popular with old folks who can't read normal text as well as they used to OR for folks who spend a lot of their time commuting from work and want to fill the void with something. Playaways(Imagine a small MP3 player that holds a single audiobook that takes a single AAA battery) are also good for that group, just don't listen to it while your driving. We have a massive collection of DVDs and Blurays with movies ranging from black and white classics to the newest releases, not to mention the ammount of television series and Non-fiction documentaries and foreign films. Our music collection is pretty impressive. We have patrons who come in everyday to use our public-use computers, and the kids and young adult sections are almost mini-libraries of their own. I haven't even mentioned the numerous gatherings and day-events we hold year-round.

And yes, we carry a large collection of digital books that we can loan out from our online services.

So no, I don't think physical libraries will be phased out soon. They need to change with the needs of the public they serve to stay relevent. If they can do that, then I think brick and mortar libraries should be around for a good while still.

As for the current question: I haven't had the chance to travel outside the country as of yet. Not that I don't want to, the chance just hasn't shown itself yet. The farthest I've traveled is I want to say Florida.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Actually, yeah, to jump on the library thing - I think the tech news has been hyping the demise of the library (and even the printed book entirely) unnecessarily for some time. I have family who work at libraries, and you know what? Their circulation numbers haven't fallen over the last several years or decades.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I guess I'm still in a talkative mood. Let's go with something library-related:

What was the last book series you've read from? Are their any book series you would want to suggest?

Don't judge me, but the last book series I've read through is Dav Pilkey's Captain Underpants. Lemme explain myself... You see, I enjoy bringing home books for my nephew. And like any responsible adult I want to read a book through before giving it to a child, to make sure that they're appropriate for his age and all that good stuff. So once he showed interest in the first Captain Underpants book, I read through the entire series. I'll say they're having a good effect on him: He's reading more, and he's even started making his own comic with his friends.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

I just finished the first book of The Three Body Problem. Before that, it was The Expanse.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Let's answer my friday question first, yes I guess. I went to France as an exchange student for a week, it was interesting to go to a different shcool and see how the it differed, but goingt o school on Staurday was a really foreign concept!

Thanks to Phantom5613 for asking a question when I couldn't. And there's no rules for you to break while I'm asking the question (beyond the forum rules themselves), look at how I answered all the questions when Pydro was asking them!

I'm currently reading a book from "The Gower Street Detective" series, it's a bit of a pastiche/homage of various other fictional detectives, it's a pretty good series if you like very dry humour.

New day, new question!

To piggyback off of Phantom5613's answers, audiobooks! Do you ever listen to them? Do you prefer a "famous" person to read to you or to get from the author's mouth? Do you prefer audio drama adaptations with a cast to them being just read to you?

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Never had any interest in audiobooks - I prefer to read the actual book myself and "hear" the characters' voices in whatever voices I think they should have, not the way someone else is reading them.

I am the Wordweaver...

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I've listened to a couple audiobooks. One of my favorites hands-down is 'The Hobbit'. There's a number of songs and such in there, and it's nice to get a reminder of how the classic book went.

I find that a profesional voice actor makes for great listening, and can bring many characters to life. And if the author is involved at all with the recording, they can help the actor convey the proper emotions and inflections of a character's speech.

If it's an autobiography audiobook though, then it being read by the author is probably better.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I usually listen to things when I'm working out or driving. I find that listening to books while driving is too distracting, as my imagination takes over, and listening to books while working out doesn't provide sufficient energy to motivate. :-\ 

So no, not listening to audio books...

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I do listen to audio books but honestly, the questions I asked don't matter much to me. So long as the reader/cast is not monotone and the story is not boring I'm along for the ride.

New day, new question!

Rabit said he worked out, do you?

Me? Nah.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I did for a time, but then I pinched a nerve. That ended that...

Powerhound_2000

Not with any regularity 

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

If I didn't, the list of health issues I'd have are extensive -- and that's saying something given how long my list is already! :-\ 

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

Does playing ultimate frisbee count?  If so, I work at at least once a week, and during some parts of the year (summer!), as often as four times per week.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

New day, new question!

Frisbees! What craze from your youth would you like to see come back?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Pogs.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Powerhound_2000

Beast Wars

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

GOOD original cartoons on Cartoon Network. No more reboots. Hell, just some original cartoons would be apreciated. :/

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

At this point, I'd just accept any day that isn't 75% Teen Titans/Go

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

bobbertoriley wrote:

At this point, I'd just accept any day that isn't 75% [REDACTED]

We don't say that name here...

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hacky sack! :-D

Trajector
Trajector's picture

The guy who did Micro Machines commercials.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

When I asked this question I didn't answer becasue I was hoping a day would remind me of any craze I was a part of, but my memory seems to have failed me. I'm sure I was part of them but I can't remember any I think of with fondness.

New day, new question!

Mentioning Beast Wars reminds me of the original Transformers TV series and the movie... and the scarring nature of the death of Optimus Prime. When did you last cry at a movie/TV show?

I think I am dead inside, as I can't recall the time I last cried. I do remember feeling sad at the death of Tayln in Farscape, I seem to remember it being winter and very dark outside my house after the episode and I still had to go out and buy dinner, I decided to go down to the local chippy to buy myself some comfort food instead of doing a proper food shop.

Spoilers can be hidden with [ color=white ] put text here and delete the spaces inside the brackets [ /color ]

Pages