The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Question of the Day!

745 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Aww yes, as a bit of a 'Scaper myself, I agree that part was sad. Didn't make me cry, though. Hmm, maybe the "worst" moment for me was a particular point in "Finding Dory", which I watched a few months ago...

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I cry pretty easily. :-) Saw a movie called The Samuel Project, recently, that had a powerful and emotional moment towards the end that really affected me, and just before that a documentary called Man Made that made me cry multiple times (e.g., a man meets his birth family for the first time, trans men are able to be themselves in important moments).

Both were at the film festival, of course. ;-)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

New day, new question!

Ameena mentioned Finding Dory so why not Pixar? What do you think of the Pixar movies? How many have you seen? (list of movies)

I've seen 4 of them, the first 2 Toy Story movies, Up and The Incredibles. I've seen bits and pieces of Brave and WALL-E. I'm sure I'm missing out by not having seen more but I think they're only OK, not great. I won't go out of my way to see any new Pixar films but I might watch one if I'm bored and they happen to be on TV.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

I've all of them except the Cars movies. Inside Out, Wall-E, and the Toy Story movies are my favorites of the bunch. Brave and The Good Dinosaur didn't really work for me.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I’ve seen a lot of various Pixar movies and it would take a while to list them all.  Overall, they make movies that stand up fairly well story and animation wise.  Their duds are few and far between for me.  Cars 2 probably being the worst for me and Incredibles/Toy Story being my favorite. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I think I've seen most of their non-sequel films, and generally like them. It might be obvious that The Incredibles is probably still my favorite, though I've only seen its sequel once. And the first ~15 minutes of Up are just beautiful storytelling.

The thing I have missed from Pixar since their pre-acquisition by Disney pipeline cleared has been the continued creation of new and original settings.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Finally got round to watching the Increcibles 2 the other day...am yet to watch Cars 3 (which hopefully is better than its immediate predecessor, which I don't think was too fantastic), and Coco which I've only vaguely heard of and am not really sure how I've missed. Other than that I've seen the lot :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I really enjoy Pixar's films, but I'm a sap. :-p 

I haven't watched any of the Cars sequels, Good Dinosaur, or Coco, although I'm planning eventually watch Coco -- it came out at a challenging time. :-\ 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

New day, new question!

Sequels. We all know they're not as good as the originals so why do they get made? What's teh worst sequel you have ever seen?

No questions on Sundays from me, if someone else wants to post one, feel free.

Powerhound_2000

Most of the time they are made for money reasons because so many people enjoyed the first and they assume they’ll come back for more.  As it the worst sequel to me it’s Batman and Robin.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Sequels are considered less risky than new IPs, even if their not necessarilly more profitable.

For me the worst sequels were the absolutely awful straight to DVD sequels Disney was making in the 2000s. Mulan II was probably the worst of the bunch.

Other awful sequels that are up there among my least favorites would be X-Men III, Jurassic Park III, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2, and Superman IV: The Quest for Peace.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Can we count The Hobbit Part II: The Desolation of Smaug?

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Heck, I count The Hobbit: Part 1... :-\ 

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

<adds other forumites suggestions to list of films to run away screaming from>

I think I'm going to go with Alien 3, had it not been an alien film I might have enjoyed it as a monster flick but something about tying it to the Xenomorph series just rubbed me the wrong way, even if Ripley's ending was great.

New day, new question!

Handelabra's Aeon's End kickstarter starts today, are you going to back it?

I am. I don't like it as much as I love Sentinels, the lore just doesn't grab me and although it has very similar strategy it doesn't scratch that same itch for me, even though it is fun to play.

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

I've never played Aeon's End but I'm definitely backing the Kickstarter. I think all 3 games Handelabra has made so far have been a blast, so I'm just trusting I'll enjoy it based on that and the description I've read of what the game is.

Powerhound_2000

I’ll be backing it.  I’ve played it a handful of times and I’m interested in playing more.   So far my plays have been crushing defeats.  

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

Most of my flexible funds this month went to Jagged Earth and some upgrades to the house, so I may have to pass on the Kickstarter and pick it up at retail. Will keep an eye on it, though.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

New day, new question!

It's a lovely sunny day, where are people most likely to find you, indoors or outdoors?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

What's "outdoors"?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Powerhound_2000

Depends on the day and my mood.  More often I’d say inside.  

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sunny? I'm inside -- the sun causes my skin to have an auto-immune reaction if I'm in it for more than a few minutes. :-\ 

But luckily I love being out in gloomy or rainy weather! :-D (Growing up in the Pacific Northwest helps. ;-) 

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I knew there was a reason I felt at home here. High Fives for all indoors peoples.

New day, new question!

Do you like yes or no questions?

Powerhound_2000

Yes?

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

Sometimes.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

No

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Yes. They make it easier to answer.

New day, new question!

What's your favourite period of history? Is there one that if there's a game/book/film in that period you are more likely to give it a look?

Powerhound_2000

Medieval times and that applies to books/movies/games as well.   Not saying they have to recreate how things were in that timeframe but media using themes from that timeframe intrigue me more like Dragon Age for instance. 

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

I'm with Powerhound.  Medieval time period?  I'm in.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The 27th century. There's such an incredible amount of recovery from The Great Burn in that short period, and so many facinating personalities involved. 

What? You said history -- you didn't say your history. 

;-) 

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I think for me it's the wild west. I'm more likely to look at a thing if it has cowboys, the gold rush, wide open spaces and fanning the hammer in it.

New day, new question!

Green Apples or Red Apples?

For me, green apples. Sharper taste, crisper crunch. Yum!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yep, green for me. :-) 

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Red

Powerhound_2000

Red

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I'm not much of an apple connoisseur but I do like Granny Smith's so I'll go with green - om nom nom, taste and juice :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

For eating?  Red

For baking/cooking? Green

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

So an even split?

New day, new quesiton!

Tomorrow is Rememberance Sunday/Armistice day, did you buy a poppy this year? Does your country commemorate the armistice?

No questions on Sundays from me, if someone else wants to post one, feel free.

Powerhound_2000

The US does not haveArmistice Day.   In the US tomorrow we have Vereran’s Day which honors military veterans and coincides with Armistice Day as it was a replacement for it.  It was Armistice Day until it was changed in 1954.  

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I haven't seen anyone selling poppies in my recent travels, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right places? I'll look harder.

Breaking my own self imposed rules of answering old questions again, I'm surprised only one person chose the Wild West. Especially if you considered both Victorian England and Samurai were still a thing, and it wasn't impossible to have all three meet...

To fill in for a Sunday question: You're building yourself the perfect sandwich. What's on it?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Pretty ordinary sandwich for me, an extra mature cheddar cheese on a farm house loaf.

And some Who Dares Burns! hot sauce on the top of the bread.

New day, new question!

It's midday over here, what time do you usually have lunch?

My lunch is usually very late, 3 or 4 pm.

Powerhound_2000

Between 11AM and 1PM my time 

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

First lunch is usually around 11am. Second is around 1-2pm. (All of this depends on meetings, of course. ;-)

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Usually around 12:30 or so if it's not a workday, but if it is then it's when I get back from work, usually around 1:30-1:45.

I am the Wordweaver...

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

I start eating lunch ideally as close to 12:00 as possible on a weekday, though sometimes work gets in the way.

To answer Phantom's question, the perfect sandwich consists of rye bread, deli mustard, a generous mound of corned beef (freshly cut, shaved so it's nice and thin, and a medium level of fat), and absolutely nothing else.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I love sub sandwiches. A nice fresh italian bread drizzled with oil and vinegar that's layered with some ham, prosciutto and pepperoni. Add in some provalone, thinly sliced tomato and shredded lettuce, and season it all with good old salt, pepper and oregano. Maybe a light layer of mayo, depending on if you like that kind of thing or not.

My sleep schedule is all kinds of wacky, so lunch just happens when it happens for me. Sometimes lunch is even the first thing I eat in the day...

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Phanthom5613 wrote:
Sometimes lunch is even the first thing I eat in the day...

Hmmmm.

New day, new question!

They say that Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, what makes a meal breakfast for you? Is it that you have it in "your" morning? Is it just the first meal of the day? Is it eating "breakfast-y" things like cereal?

I have to say that my "lunch at 3-4pm" is usually the first thing I have eaten in the day, and I don't consider that breakfast. I eat cereal at whatever time it is if I happen to fancy a bowl so it's not about specific types of food. I guess it must just be that I eat soon after I get up.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Matchstickman wrote:

Phanthom5613 wrote:

Sometimes lunch is even the first thing I eat in the day...

Hmmmm.

I don't/can't eat a good hour after I get up in the morning without feeling sick, but my schedule doesn't allow me the chance to wait for my stomach to wake up. That means a standard breakfast is normally some peanut butter toast and a glass of water most days.

So yeah, lunch is still lunch.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I'm similar to you, Phantom, in that I feel kind of ill if I eat too early. I haven't bothered with breakfast since hmm, probably some time late during my school days, when on weekends I would get up and go straight out to meet a friend and go to the cinema or whatever. But weirdly, I do tend to have breakfast the rare times I'm on holiday, when a couple of pains au chocolat tend to do the job, om nom nom. As a kid, I would have stuff like toast or cereal most of the time.

I am the Wordweaver...

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

For me breakfast is a meal that I eat "in the morning" and/or that's breakfast-y. (So if my first meal of the day is eggs and toast at 12:30pm on a Saturday, that's still breakfast).

I definitely make a point of eating something every morning, although most days that tends to be smaller (oatmeal, small bowl of cereal, a toasted bagel). If I don't eat anything I find myself low on energy, and then get really hungry about an hour before lunch.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

New day, new question!

Humour! Who's your favourite comedian? Please submit examples of them and their work!

I love turns of phrase and Milton Jones subverts expectations with his word play like no one else I have seen. And I love that his hair does stand up with him.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Ha, yes, Milton Jones isn't bad...his grandfather can be pretty funny, too. I mean, his other grandfather. No, wait, sorry, I mean his other grandfather ;).

My top two favourite stand-up comedians are probably Eddie Izzard and Bill Bailey. Just the random stuff they come out with sometimes, it's great ("Covered in beeeeees!"). Plus Bill can apparently play All of the Instruments. Ever. All of them :O.

I am the Wordweaver...

Pages