The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Question of the Day!

745 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Probably English for me. Definitely not Maths, that's for sure ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Lunch.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Music class was my favorite, out of every possible school subject.

Out of the more "core" ones, it was science that was my fave.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

New day, new question!

Jeysie's answer reminded me of an odd teacher I had for music, he would start hoovering in the middle of practice, or disappear into a cupboard for 20 minutes while the class was doing a work sheet, rumour among the pupils was he was drunk. Looking back on it I realise that every class had the same stories, and not every class was taught at the same time so he was just doing the same odd things repeatedly to keep people talking about his class and looking forward to finding out what odd thing he would do next. I can't rememebr jack about the classes themselves except one test where we were identifying pieces of music he had recorded and Blueberry Hill came on, complete with chorus, and he said he hoped no one scored zero points for this question.

Did you have a teacher at school who did odd things? Do you just have a single memorable incident from an otherwise ordinary class?

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I had geometry teacher who certainly kept things interesting.    He threw a chalkboard eraser at someone wandering the halls and broke a ruler trying to talk about lines intersecting with shapes by jamming it into a chalkboard.  He was quite the character.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Ario
Ario's picture
Playtester

With a student body of less than fifty  my high school experience was lousy with unusual experiences, but my math teacher (the one math teacher in the school,) took the cake. I was a fast student, so he would often try to distract me from my worksheets to keep me on pace with the other students, through songs, stories, throwing balls at me, etc.. On more than one ocassion, when I finished my work for the period he gave me his car keys and credit card and asked me to run down to the gas station to fill up his car and get him a Pepsi. 

It was a great class.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I'm with Ario in having a small school. (Our class was 26 kids, and it was the largest the school had seen.) 

We had a newer high school math teacher who was a great character. He wanted to make sure some of us were as ready for college as he could. He created a pre-calc class just for us, something the school had never seen. The six of us he was aiming the class at signed up for beginning guitar as a joke. (Small school...) We got to class the first day and asked where the guitars were. He said there was a lot we needed to understand before we could play, and proceeded to talk about math and music. We pretty much forgot about the beginning guitar joke until the last day of class, when he showed up with a guitar... :-D 

He also had an eye that he was blind in due to an incident with a wood chip while splitting wood when he was younger. He would say that it now looked backwards. When he'd be writing on the board, one of us would be quietly messing around and he would call us on it, without ever turning around! It was awesome! :-) (I'm sure we just weren't as quiet as we thought, but I just loved how he played it up. ;-) 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Hmm, trying to remember any weird/silly things any of my teachers did. Can remember one minor incident involving one teacher, who used a phrase I still find very amusing - "I've just introduced my knee to the desk!" (said whilst standing by the desk rubbing said knee, and preceded by "ouch..." :D).

I am the Wordweaver...

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

I had a chemistry teacher in high school who would go into the back room, come out in a clown nose/rainbow wig and hand out licorice to the class.

Always pretended he was another person. Called him Rainbow Man. To this day, has yet to catch him.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

First day of class for AP US History, our teacher came in singing. "Another Opening, Another Show!" He was irrepressibly geeky. And a Quaker.

First day of class for Chemistry, our teacher came in, waited for the class to quiet down, and then, without any other introduction or preamble,  ordered us to sit in alphabetical order, starting in the front left and going backwards, then on to the adjoining column, etc. He then told us how many minutes we had to complete the task and walked out of the room. He came back in after that many minutes and proceeded teaching.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

It looks like teachers are human too, who would have thunk it?

New day, new question!

Fallout 76! The embargo on Bethesda's press weekend was lifted yesterday, so there was a lot of new video released showing off the game. Do you have any interest in this game? Have you played any of the previous Fallout games?

I have dropped a huge amount of time into the previous Fallout games (and love the post-apoc genre as a whole), but have little to no interest in playing this one, not a big fan of online games, I don't like that there's a time when the servers will go and I'll no longer have access to my game.

Powerhound_2000

I have interest but I still haven’t played Fallout 4 so I’m not sure I want to dive into this newer installment 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I prefer the Fallout table-top RPG my friend developed with one of his online buddies.

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

What's a Fallout?  We don't get Netflix out here in Vault 62.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Since my favourite genre is (and always has been) Fantasy, I've played every single Elder Scrolls online (at least, the ones made directly by Bethesda - Elder Scrolls Online doesn't count :P), and have never felt any particular interest in the Fallout series. But I look forward to hearing about Elder Scrolls VI and hope it has a decent UI and less hand-holding and quest linearity this time (bring back the Morrowind UI!) :P.

I am the Wordweaver...

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

New day, new question!

Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner?

Basketkeep
Basketkeep's picture

Breakfast. What other meal do you get an excuse to eat sugar?

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Lunch or dinner. I've become less and less of a breakfast person over they years, mainly since I hate having to force myself to eat something just as I get up.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

All five meals!!! 

Why limit myself‽

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Powerhound_2000

Lunch since it seems to not have any particular rules of what it has to be.   

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

Dinner!  With weekend breakfast as a close second.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

It's a rare day that I get to have both Breakfast and Lunch, but I always have dinner.

New day, new question! Extra early edition!

Early bird catches the worm, or late worm avoids getting eaten by the bird. Which are you?

Powerhound_2000

I’d rather be the late worm but don’t get that choice often. 

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

While I'm on time for things, I generally wake up late and have to rush around to be on time.

New day, new question!

Radios! Do you ever listen to conventional radios stations with DJs/announcers any more? Or do you listen to music/programs via apps/websites?

I can't remember the last time I listened to a radio, I don't think I even own a device that could receive the signals anymore.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

My car still has a radio, but I only use it to pipe podcasts or music from my player. I'll occasionally try a radio station – mostly out of curiosity – but it’s not more than once every couple of months.

Powerhound_2000

I listen to XM aka Satilite radio in my car since there are fewer commercials and better audio quality.   At home I don’t listen to much of any radio. 

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

Radio in the car if I'm not listening to music from my phone (or The Letters Page).

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

New day, new question!

Dr Who! The new series of Dr Who started last Sunday, what is your realtionship to the show? Do you watch it? Did you watch the original serieses? Is it something you have never heard of?

I love the show. I watched the original serieses and went to a few conventions "back in the day". I feel the new stuff is a good continuation and I've had fun watching the Doctor evolve into this latest regeneration.

No questions on Sundays from me, if someone else wants to post one, feel free.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I frequently find Doctor Who entertaining -- and occassionally brilliant -- but there are enough things about it I don't enjoy that I don't consider myself a fan. I caught some of the early stuff when I was a kid, but it wasn't readily available to us so I could't watch with any regularity.

My spouse is a huge fan of New Who, though! (But she refuses to watch the original serieses.)

Powerhound_2000

I know of Dr Who but have never watched the series. 

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

I watch the new series and mostly enjoy it. Haven't seen much of the original series.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I've seen bits and pieces of the older series - we had a couple on video when I was a kid and they occasionally showed some on TV. I've still never seen a full episode/series of Two, Five, or Six, but I've seen clips of them and some other bits and pieces, and I've also seen every Doctors' death scene. Since I've actually been alive during its return, I've seen every episode since they brought it back in 2005. And I like this latest reincarnation and am looking forward to tonight's episode :D.

Note - it's "Doctor Who", not "Dr Who" :P.

I am the Wordweaver...

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Never got into it. Seen bits and pieces, but I'm too lazy to seek out everything from a series thats been around since the black and white tv era.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Ughhhhhhh.

New day, *cough cough* new question.

When you are ill, what do you do for comfort? Do you curl up on the couch and watch trash TV? Is there a particularly dish that you always eat while ill?

Me? I go back to bed.

I'm going back to bed.

Powerhound_2000

I’m going with in bed to try to get more sleep.   I do like some chicken noodle soup while sick 

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

Fortunately, I have the option to work from home. So, unless I'm completely out cold, I'll usually take a light day at home and get some stuff done while taking it easy. Make sure things aren't on fire and catch up with my Netflix backlog.

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

Throw something on Netflix that's interesting enough to keep my mind occupied, but easy enough to fall asleep watching.

Also, hot toddies.  (If I have multiple in one day, I usually only add the whisky to one of them).

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

New day, new question!

Woke up this mornin' feelin' fine, There's somethin' special on my mind!

A kickstarter for Spirit Island, a kickstarter for the new edition of the Savage World's RPG, and the release of the Void Guard on Sentinels digital, what else makes this an excellent day for you?

Powerhound_2000

There’s a new Letters Page episode today as well. 

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

The fact that I'll get paid tonight...

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

New day, new question!

Both kickstarter's overfunded by at least 800%, my second favourite variant of the void guard was released, and I had a very, very nice curry for dinner.

How was your day?

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I applied for a new job, had left-over pizza for lunch and dinner, saw an amazing independent sci-fi film (Prospect) at a local film festival, played with our cats, was amazed and entertained by the Spirit Island Kickstarter... :-\ 

Highs and lows, but overall pretty darn good. ;-) 

(What was the other Kickstarter, Matchstickman?)

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

The second KS he's talking about was for the next edition of the Savage Worlds RPG. Funded a $15K goal in around 5-7 minutes, and broke all Day 1 Stretch Goals, the max which was at $150K.

My day was fine, got better after I got out of work with all the crazy stuff that happened. Today though I have a dentist's appointment after work(which I really don't mind, they always numb me up really well so I don't feel anything), and after that I have a Deadlands game to run.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Yep, that is exactly the kickstarter I was referring to, thank phantom5613! Hope you Deadlands game sent well, it's an awesome setting.

New day, new question!

Rabit went to an local film festival yesterday, do you go to festivals (of any kind)?

I love me a good comedy festival, or even a comedy tent at a music festival, you can find some "big" acts there trying new stuff or some really great smaller acts trying to get heard. And because you're all there for (ostensibly) the same thing you rarely get people who go to ruin the act on purpose. It's a fun day out.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I also go to these gaming festivals -- they call them "conventions" -- where people play lots of game... ;-) 

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

touché Rabit!

New day, new question!

Funfairs! Did you ever go to a funfair when you were young? Do you go to them now? What's you're favourite ride/attraction there?

Helter Skelters! Wizzing round in circles in a sack to crash into a coconut mat at the bottom was almost the most fun thing to do at the Circus.

Powerhound_2000

I’ve been to various carnivals and circuses as a kid but I can’t say any of them were particularly memorable.   Seeing what was apparently one of the last   Ringling Bros shows was fairly memorable though I doubt my 2 year old will recall much from it.  

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

We take the niblings to them on occasion, but I didn't do it much when I was a kid. No real favorites, myself, although the "fun houses" are some of my least favorite things. 

And naturally the niblings love them, so I end up going into them a lot... :-\ Totally worth it! :-D 

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Rabit wrote:

the "fun houses" are some of my least favorite things. 

Yeah, who names these things, anyways?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

*points finger*

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Pages