The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Question of the Day!

745 posts / 0 new
Last post
Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

The last place you look.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

It could be anywhere, technically. However, you can probably rule out a bunch of places based on whether or not you've actually been there, or whether anyone who might've stolen your list might've been there, or whether or not any kind of weird space-time-teleporty-thing might've been able to move your list (or someone carrying it) there. Hmm. So it looks like you only have to search the whole of time and space.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I'm still gonna say check your back pocket.

It's a drab and dreary day where I live, with full cloud coverage and a steady level of drizzle and rain outside. What do you do on days like that?

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Enjoy it! :-D 
(Hey, I grew up in the USA Pacific Northwest. That was the majority of my childhood. ;-) 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Probably the same thing I do every day - sit at my computer, perhaps glancing out of the window every now and then going "Well, glad I'm not out in that..." :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Some good suggestion but it turns out they were in my mind all along.

Drab and dreary days? Sounds like typical English weather to me mate.

Thanks for the Sunday question!

New day, new question!

You've backed a kickstarter for a game/book/RPG, and got an alpha copy of it, Do you give it a good read or do you wait for the "proper" copy to make its way to you?

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Powerhound_2000

Wait for a proper copy

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

It depends. For example:

• If they're asking for editorial feedback, I try to make time to provide it.
  • If I need it for a current RPG game (as has happened), I'll give it an initial read to determine what I'll be able to use at a high-level (and to make notes on things that I'll need answers to if they're missing from this version). 
  • If they're looking for playtesting feedback, I probably won't -- I can't make the time to playtest GTG and Handelabra's stuff as much as I'd like, and I have significant motivation there, so I won't be able to make time for any other playtesting.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

You're welcome. Turns out today has a high chance of being just as dreary, so I guess I'm staying inside.

If it's a system I'm REALLY interested in, then I'll probably give it a once over. but depending on how often they plan on releasing updated versions(The Savage Worlds Adventure edition book has had 3 updates in as many weeks!), I may just wait for the book proper before I give it a full read through. Or at least until the company decides to cool it on updates...

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I usually wait for a proper copy before diving in. Unless it's something I really really want, then I start right away.

New day, new question!

Today is the last day to submit your singing for Handelabra's Mordengrad theme, did you submit an entry?

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

There was a singing contest?

Clearly, I did not.  (Not that I would have... my singing voice isn't the worst, but it's not exactly contest-submission quality either).

Trajector
Trajector's picture

It's Mordengrad, though. You can just shout/chant "Mordengrad! Mordengrad!" for a few minutes.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I have nothing to record an entry on, so nope.

Powerhound_2000

Yes I did submit an entry per Jean-Marcs Rules and regulations.  Having your voice heard in Mordengrad is serious business 

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I did not. I meant to. I downloaded all the documentation, installed Reaper but then just didn't find the time to do it. Also, I do not think I could have surpressed the natural instinct that every English person has to sing God Save The Queen.

New day, new question!

Comfy shoes! Do you have a piece of clothing that you just wont throw out?

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Hats. I still have hats I used to wear near ten years ago hanging on the back of my door. Many of them are old and tattered and thread-bare, but I can't bring myself to throw them away.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Interestingly, up until this morning, my leather jacket. I've had the poor thing for more than 20 years, fixed and repaired it multiple times. But now the zipper won't hold and the leather is completely worn down... :-( Decided last night to finally let it go. :'(

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Well, I just turned 34 a few days ago and I still wear my lovely purple coat that I got when I was about fifteen. So that's over half my lifetime ago :O.

I am the Wordweaver...

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Yay Rabit! Leather Jacket wearers unite! I too have a Leather Jacket that is decades old, my zip busted within the first year but I still wear it all the time. Sorry to hear of your loss, hope it wasn't the power of QotD jinxing you.

New day, new question!

We're inching ever closer to present opening day (unless for you that is today, in which case Happy Holiday!), so what's been your favourite present ever?

Powerhound_2000

Probably my current iPad

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Looks like I asked a question I can't answer, I am very greatful for the presents I received at teh time I received them but honestly now I can't remember a single one that stands out above the others.

New day, new question!

What was your last take out/delivery food? Was it good?

Powerhound_2000

Pizza and it was just ok.   Didn’t help that the order got split up because the delivery guy didn’t have the whole order.  

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

My last take out was (open) chips. Walking home late out in the cold and dark eating chips slathered in salt and vineger, it was great. And it brings back childhood memories of doing the same when visting my grand parents.

New day, new question!

Nostalgia! Do you harken back to the good olde days? Are you happy things from your childhood are getting a revival? Are they (or are you too young, you whippersnapper!)?

Question of the (holi)day will be disrupted while the festive period interferes with my posting schedule, if I don't get a question up feel free to post one yourself, or continue answering the same question until I post a new one.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I'm definitely old enough. ;-)

I'm shocked but happy the things I've enjoyed most of my life like superheroes and RPGs like D&D have become socially acceptable.

But I think the way Hollywood is "reinventing" some of the old media is kind of sad. :-/ (Having said that, I'm looking forward to getting our first Transformer movie with Bumblebee! :-D )

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Yeah, I wish they'd stop "rebooting" old films and just come up with some new ideas and make those instead :P.

Games-wise I'm wondering how long it'll be before the big-name companies go under due to trying to screw over their customers so much they end up without any customers, meanwhile all the little indy companies with a single-figure total of people will take over again and sell all the actually decent games at reasonable prices :D. At least I have emulators now to replay all the old games I used to play but that wouldn't normally run on my current PC due to being from the Atari or needing DOS/a floppy drive. So if I feel like playing anything from back in the '80s/'90s I can just load it up whenever I like and get on with it :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Yeah, I'm old enough to see my childhood revived.

I'm not a big fan of movie or TV reboots for some reason (possibly because they're passive and I have no say it what happens) but computer games and the like get my thumbs up.

New year, new question!

Did you miss me?

Bonus question!

It's only the fifth day of the new year, how many resolutions have you broken so far? Do you make resolutions?

Powerhound_2000

No, as you show up other places :P.  I did not make any resolutions and typically don’t.  

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Well, I wasn't aiming for you, so...no?

And I've never bothered with New Year's Resolutions. Bleh :P.

I am the Wordweaver...

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I, like the rest of you, did not miss me either.

Oh, and I don't make resolutions either.

New day, new question!

Photos! Do you take photos in your everyday life? Do you instagram your meals?

Powerhound_2000

I take some photos but not everyday.  I do not use Instagram nor do I take pics of my food

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I take pics on occasion, but -- as Powerhound -- not daily. I don't post pictures very often to social media (and never to Instagram), and usually it's a images from a specific event, such as a trip/holiday, a convention, or a gathering of friends / folks who might be specifically interested in such images. 

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I don't have a camera, so no. I take screnshots occasionally in games with cool imagery that I want to use as desktop wallpapers, though, if that counts ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I'll normally only take pictures of something if I have an interest in it, like the cover of a book I found in a store or maybe of an interesting landscape, or maybe a funny thing a relative is doing. I don't post photos to any social media as a general rule, but once in a while I'll show the picture to friends.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I'm not a visual person, so I don't take photos, not even on when I go on vacation.

New day, new question!

Anything you are looking forward to this year? Exciting holiday plans, release of a new film/book/game, new job?

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I'm looking forward to the continuation of the Avengers movies, the payout for several Kickstarters I backed, and the new Pokemon and Animal Crossing games that will hopefully be released this year. I also have a trip coming up, so there's that to look forward to as well.

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

I'm looking forward to a 4-day boardgaming weekend coming up in just 2 weeks(!), camping this summer with my s/o, visiting some friends who live in Edmonton, and a friend's wedding this Fall.  (Plus a bunch of other stuff too!)

BrianleWolfhunt
Playtester

Sentinels: OblivAeon digital, Obviously. 

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Lots to look forward to this year. I'm going to visit some of my friends from college who I haven't seen in a few years, so really looking forward to that. Also, I'm planning a trip to Scotland, which I'm looking forward to as well.

In terms of movies there's a lot coming out this year in terms of superhero stuff. Also excited to get new movies from Quinton Terentino, J.C. Chandor, and David Robert Mitchell.

In terms of games I'm mostly just excited for everything Handelabra is working on.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I very much take things as I find them so there's little I ever really look forward to... in fact the only thing I can think of that I am actively looking forward to is the Cyberpunk 2077 game coming out, and there's no guarantee that's coming out this year!

EDIT: I thought of something! The last issue of Mage- The Hero Denied is out in February, a story 30 odd years in the making, I am defintely looking forward to that (with some trepidation)!

New day, new question!

Mouse mats! Do you have one? What’s the picture of?

Hankroyd

Wait, mouse mat is still a thing? That is so 1995... :)

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

I do.  It's got the cover art for Max Payne on it.

I think I got it either with Max Payne or purchased it separately around the same time... but it's been a long time since then so it's hard to remember.

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

I use one at work; it's emblazoned with the university logo. 

I also have a Pittsburgh Steelers one at home in our office, but we rarely use our office outside of the occasional guest stay on the futon and my wife's yarn storage.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I have two, as I use both of my hands (to help reduce wrist strain): 

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I have a trackerball mouse, but I still rest it on a mousepad! It's one I got at the Doctor Who experience sometime back, the TARDIS making it's way through the vortex.

New day, new question!

Continuing on with the "things with pictures on them" theme, Umbrellas! Do you have one? Does it have pictures on it?

Powerhound_2000

I have some but not with any pictures. 

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I have a couple, but the only one that's interesting is the rainbow umbrella that I specifically bought to use at Pride parades to shade myself from the sun. :-) 

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

Every 3-5 years I decide I need an umbrella, buy one, and then promptly go about losing it within 2 weeks of purchase.  So no umbrella for me.

BrianleWolfhunt
Playtester

I dance in the rain. I don't need an umbrella. :)

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

BrianleWolfhunt wrote:

I dance in the rain. I don't need an umbrella. :)

Oh, definitely! (I'm originally from the Pacific Northwest. ;-)

It's the sun I need to protect myself against... :-\

BrianleWolfhunt
Playtester

Rabit wrote:

It's the sun I need to protect myself against... :-\

I hear you. I got a sunburn last summer that hurt for weeks afterwards. 

Pages