The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Whose Tim Cosing?

2013 posts / 0 new
Last post
DerpTheBugbear
DerpTheBugbear's picture

So they've given BGG codes for both ambuscade and unity through various means...

maybe something to do with the set they came out as mini-expansions along side of?  dunno... or maybe they hid something on the BGG pages?

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Unity and Ambuscade are both mini-expansions.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

cmschex
Playtester

They came out as stretch goals for the KS of the Enhanced Edition.

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

Dunno if it's relevant but didn't they both release with Silver Gulch (BGG number 134388) with the video game?

IanA

Wow, I'm not sure who to be impressed by most: the GTG crew for setting all this up or you guys for powering through it.

Prompted by Estelindis' post, just thought I'd add, as something of a Latin scholar in days gone by, the "Lorem ipsum color sit amet" text is a dead end in terms of translation. It's not proper Latin; I believe it's a jumbled up selection of Latin words used fairly commonly as placeholder text (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum). So I wouldn't expend hours with a Latin dictionary trying to make sense of it! That doesn't mean there isn't an important pattern to spot in it though...

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

I don't think Unity is part of this clue. Thats just me though.

DerpTheBugbear
DerpTheBugbear's picture

Hmm, maybe it has less to do with their BGG pages and more to do with them as characters?  Are they ever seen together in any card art?  If so, which cards?

Also, where is Unity during Progeny's attack? she isn't mentioned in the previous story reveals, afaik.  Maybe she's currently preoccupied with a solo adventure with/against Ambuscade?   Don't know how that trail of thought could help with the puzzle, but I do admit, I am curious what she's up to while Progeny is running rampant.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

The Unity reference seems different to me. This bar code clue in full was "boardgame geek" and a pointer to Ambuscade.

Unity may come back later...

Estelindis
Estelindis's picture
Playtester

IanA wrote:

Prompted by Estelindis' post, just thought I'd add, as something of a Latin scholar in days gone by, the "Lorem ipsum color sit amet" text is a dead end in terms of translation. It's not proper Latin; I believe it's a jumbled up selection of Latin words used fairly commonly as placeholder text (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum). So I wouldn't expend hours with a Latin dictionary trying to make sense of it! That doesn't mean there isn't an important pattern to spot in it though...

Yeah, that's the thing.  I know that Lorem Ipsum is jumbled Latin - and, honestly, typing up all the text, it didn't seem to make much sense (even accounting for my general lack of Latin expertise).  But I can't be sure there isn't some kind of pattern.  I would've assumed there wasn't much chance, but bringing things to the level of a sixteen minute morse code video makes me wonder.

I mean, if it wasn't important, why didn't they leave the letters page as it was...?

RySmith6
RySmith6's picture
Game DesignerPlaytester

Possibly nothing, but the Bio on the SOTM site: http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.com/multiverse/villains/ambuscade

is markedly different from the image loaded on BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2844447/sentinels-multiverse-ambuscade-v...

Multiple differences:

Ansel Moreau;

To this end, he employed...

and a few others. but probably nothing...

"But dice are dice, and Dice are Fickle"

Internet Pseudonyms: PseudonymTwitch, PseudonymTweetr, PseudonymGamer

DerpTheBugbear
DerpTheBugbear's picture

Trajector wrote:

The Unity reference seems different to me. This bar code clue in full was "boardgame geek" and a pointer to Ambuscade.

Unity may come back later...

Still, I wouldn't have thought to use 124185 as a BGG object id if not for the boardgame geek ambuscade clue.

It's not unreasonable to think that it was there as an example of what we should do with any other 6 digit numbers we have come across.

kiyoshioni

The unity but came from one of the very first clues. The page with the 9 lines of quotes from various flavor text. It was the number hide. In the fifth line after the fifth word. So we might have skipped something.

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester

well based upon the previous patterns, we are likely looking for some sort of number, since they seam to alternate between comic panels linked to by numbers and story reveals linked to by pass phrases

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Old stuff, but I scanned in the Villains rulebook, so that those who haven't received it yet can play along. There may well be more things hidden there. For one thing, there's the mysteriously misprinted logo.

http://pages.iu.edu/~dpthurst/tmp/villains-rulebook.pdf

Trajector
Trajector's picture

RySmith6 wrote:

Possibly nothing, but the Bio on the SOTM site: http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.com/multiverse/villains/ambuscadeis markedly different from the image loaded on BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2844447/sentinels-multiverse-ambuscade-v... differences:Ansel Moreau;To this end, he employed...and a few others. but probably nothing...

How about his Villains rule book bio?
Comrade Bubbles
Comrade Bubbles's picture

dpt wrote:

Old stuff, but I scanned in the Villains rulebook, so that those who haven't received it yet can play along. There may well be more things hidden there. For one thing, there's the mysteriously misprinted logo.http://pages.iu.edu/~dpthurst/tmp/villains-rulebook.pdf

Thanks! Has anyone scanned the QR code in the front of the rulebook?

The space/time continuum was broken when I got here. Honest.

Estelindis
Estelindis's picture
Playtester

Thank you, dpt!  You are wonderfully kind to do that!  :D

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester

yes, it leads to the /replaceme page

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Comrade Bubbles wrote:

dpt wrote:

Old stuff, but I scanned in the Villains rulebook, so that those who haven't received it yet can play along. There may well be more things hidden there. For one thing, there's the mysteriously misprinted logo.http://pages.iu.edu/~dpthurst/tmp/villains-rulebook.pdf

Thanks! Has anyone scanned the QR code in the front of the rulebook? 

That was done really early, and leads to the 'replaceme' page.
Trajector
Trajector's picture

Want to bet that logo is counting down?

Comrade Bubbles
Comrade Bubbles's picture

Cool, I thought it had been done. Thanks for the responses.

The space/time continuum was broken when I got here. Honest.

Blossercubbles
Blossercubbles's picture

This is very easily the best thing to ever happen after work. I'm likely not to be much help, but know you've got my support!

I fall up the stairs.

"Right, Left, Right, Left! Chu! Chu! Chu!

darksurtur

I haven't found anything in the comments, forum posts, or images on the Ambuscade BGG page.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Ambuscade did go to Mars, could that be relevant?

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

darksurtur wrote:

I haven't found anything in the comments, forum posts, or images on the Ambuscade BGG page.

Same. I looked all over that page and nothing jumped out at me.

Possibly it was just a pointer to ambuscade and there is another clue elsewhere?

GeorgeDubya

What ways could we put Ambuscade into leetspeak?

4m8u5c4d3 doesn't work.

drevilz4l
drevilz4l's picture
Playtester

YOu know what's interesting is that a bunch of the images on the Ambuscade Page were uploaded 10 days ago. This includes the front and back cards. Considering the game has been out for quite a few years I think that might be worth looking into.

DerpTheBugbear
DerpTheBugbear's picture

Foote wrote:

Possibly it was just a pointer to ambuscade and there is another clue elsewhere?

That's what I've been thinking.  I think we should see if there are any cards where Unity and Ambuscade are in the art together.  Seeing as their clues were both BGG object ids, they may be linked together.  Maybe the clue itself is silver gulch? Since it came out alongside both of them in the videogame. (Silver Gulch's BGG object id = 134388)

We should also persue the two separately as well, so looking at all of their cards for clues.

Are there any other numbers or anything that hasn't really been utilized yet?  Looking back at things like that was what led to finding the Unity clue, there may be something else to look back on with either Ambuscade or Unity in mind (or any of the more recent clues... should someone run some other things we've come across through rail ciphers?  Never know right?).

I'm just kind of stumped now, since if it's anything like before, the next solution should be a 9 digit number, and we've looked over pretty much all the number clues we know of so far.

GeorgeDubya

drevilz4l wrote:

YOu know what's interesting is that a bunch of the images on the Ambuscade Page were uploaded 10 days ago. This includes the front and back cards. Considering the game has been out for quite a few years I think that might be worth looking into.

The person who updated the pictures has been a BGG user for years and uploaded a lot of pictures of promos and mini-expansions over the past couple weeks.

Tindiyen

I was trying to follow this, but the uploader seems to just be uploading tons of stuff in general.  Long time memeber lots of activity too hard to sift through.

Estelindis
Estelindis's picture
Playtester

Having checked out a bunch of various Lorem Ipsum generators, as well as the text of De finibus bonorum et malorum by Cicero, nothing in particular about the Lorem Ipsum in the FF4 Annual stands out to me.  Some bits of the text turn up in some Lorem Ipsums, some other bits in other ones.  And there are plenty of words that I can't seem to find anywhere in De finibus bonorum et malorum.  As such, I'm giving up looking into that, as it seems likely to be a waste of time, even if I still don't understand why they put Lotem Ipsum at the end of the annual instead of the letters page that was already present.

cnranger

In Ambuscade's villain deck, 2 cards could be related to both him and Unity.

Enticing Target - has a Unity flavor text quote.

Shrewd Ambush - has both Ambuscade and Unity pictured. Flavor text by Guise

Both flavor text are from The Deadliest Game #7 and appear to happen at the same time.

padcurtin
padcurtin's picture

Could the fact that the page calls Lillian  "The Harpy" be a clue ? I was under the impression she calls herself "Pinion" 

Sapienta potentia est

hynju

Automated Turret in Abuscade's base deck has Unity flavor text.

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

I had a go at a summary post:

So CornCakes posted this thread, about how Tim Cosing is listed nine times as a playtester. Matchstickman solves the anagram - It's Coming.

Comrade Bubbles finds the Twitter account: www.twitter.com/timcosing

Powerhound finds that the QR code on the front of the Villains rules leads to what looks like the Replacements page, but is not... (http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.greaterthangames.com/replaceme). Powerhound also points out that CornCakes is a fake account, from the same hometown as the Scholar.

Donner points out that the above link is a different website, and that logging in there doesn't work. dpt replaces 'replaceme' with it's coming: http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.greaterthangames.com/itscoming. arenson finds the number 142185 embedded in the middle of the source.

Tindiyen suggests that maybe we need to find " the worst part between what you see and what actually is, the only truth now. You shall not feel my bones The protection of the most awful future Indeed...You are not real." in flavor text. grysqrl finds most of the quotes that match, Chogb puts those cards together to spell 'Genocidal': http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.greaterthangames.com/genocidal

DocBrown puts the barcode from the Genocidal comic in the magic place: http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.greaterthangames.com/982354617

The Mega Computer stuff in this was actually discovered a while ago by Kratos13; anyway, so an image (https://www.dropbox.com/s/sh5ld7n7fmgm1u0/intervene.PNG?dl=0) can be found in the Steam game by playing three Mega Computers in Megalopolis. A bunch of people identify the cards on the screens, then mackcrockett matches the colours of the screens with pages of the rulebook, uses those page numbers to pull a corresponding letter from the flavor text of the card in question to produce 'formofthe', which he finishes with 'Harbinger': http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.greaterthangames.com/harbinger

VisForYoshi spots that the left-most letters in the first paragraph spell out base eight. Eventually, brettwo thought to knock the 9 off the barcode and convert the result into octal:  http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.greaterthangames.com/421234220

Derp spots that the letters page of Freedom Four annual 1 is now in Latin; Bubbles spots there are actually nine versions of the comic online; brettwo spots that Tachyon's clock is different in each, and translates those times into semaphore, giving OLSDALEDI; dpt spots that letters behind Legacy change between the comics, and spell out railfence; Meerkat suggests a Rail Fence Cipher, which brettwo uses to solve the board: http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.greaterthangames.com/oddallies

jagarciao spots that we need to use L33tsp33k, Derp scans the new barcode and converts it from L33t to English - it reads 'boardgame'. racingstripe finds a weird video of at-least-three-layer-deep Morse code posted by Cosing, is admonished by Cosing, and the video is made private. tyches coin finds that 126951 - the second half of the barcode's number - is Ambuscade's ID on BoardGameGeek, and Meerkat spots that 633000 is L33t for Geek. And that's what you missed on Glee.

I'm going to bed.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Blossercubbles
Blossercubbles's picture

Deadlist, a nine letter word, is d34d1i3s7, but I don't think that does anything.

I fall up the stairs.

"Right, Left, Right, Left! Chu! Chu! Chu!

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Thanks, Meerkat! Awesome work.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

Yes!! I made a contribution that made it to the summary!!!

Take that, Mom!! I AM useful!!

hynju

Isn't one of Ambuscade's mini nemesis guys a nemesis of Omnitron X?

Could he be the geek?

dedlius

Looking for clues in Ambuscade's bio in the Villains rule book, but not finding much.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

I've tried taking a lot of 9 letter key words/phrases in Ambuscade's bio (including his name and alias) and plugging them into the "replace" me, as well as translating them all into leetspeak. No luck so far.

darksurtur

Anyone try convering "Ambuscade" to leetspeak and using it as the URL entry?

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

darksurtur wrote:

Anyone try convering "Ambuscade" to leetspeak and using it as the URL entry?

yup. 4mbu5c4d3 does not work

Estelindis
Estelindis's picture
Playtester

I am carrying on with the Morse Code.  At first, when the initial 52 seconds gave two dashes (three layers deep, wow), which signifies M, I assumed the entire sixteen minutes was dedicated to spelling out Morse Code.  But from 0:52 to 1:17 gives another dash, and three dashes is O.  I'm going to see how the next bit works out.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Estelindis wrote:

I am carrying on with the Morse Code.  At first, when the initial 52 seconds gave two dashes (three layers deep, wow), which signifies M, I assumed the entire sixteen minutes was dedicated to spelling out Morse Code.  But from 0:52 to 1:17 gives another dash, and three dashes is O.  I'm going to see how the next bit works out.

If you find the answer, hold on to it until we get that far in the puzzle =D

Estelindis
Estelindis's picture
Playtester

It's a sequence of numbers.  I'm halfway through it.  If it does turn out to yield something useful, of course I can hold on to it if you think GtG don't want it out yet.  Though, frankly, I'm expecting that if the numbers do lead to anything, they've probably already pulled it down, just like they made the morse video private.  (I happened to already have it open in a window, and I'm still using that.) 

So engrossed in the puzzle am I that I completely forgot about the Handelabra livestream.  Chat with the community and enjoy a Shattered Timelines game?  No, not me.  Instead, I'll listen to a really long series of beeps...  It does get easier as I progress, though.  The patterns become recognisable. 

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I want to hear what you found, out of order or not!

Tindiyen

I can't believe we are stuck,  you guys were crushing it while I was in a meeting at work.

bessyrocks12
bessyrocks12's picture
Playtester

It certainly looks like we hit a stall...

BuddaBuddaBuddaBuddaBuddaBuddaBudda

“Heh, pow. Sound effects are the best.” –The Idealist

Trajector
Trajector's picture

dpt wrote:

I want to hear what you found, out of order or not!

I say hooray for the community, for turning out to be cleverer than they expected!

An evening of going through my various Ambuscade cards has turned up nothing likely...

Pages