The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

What is the strongest hero card?

89 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

grysqrl wrote:

I set up all of the cards under the force-displacement tester at work. It turns out that Enduring Intercession is the strongest card. Who knew?

smiley

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

nyrens

Of course, as others have said, "strongest card" is very situational. However, "Impromptu Invention" is definitely the strongest search card in the game, and unless you already have out all the equipment you'll ever want, it's amazing. Even if you do have everything you'll ever want, you can use it to replace itself and get you a backup of something you might need for later. It's just amazing!

But, ignoring search cards, "Inspiring Presence" is the strongest offensive card in my opinion. +1 damage to all attacks is crazy at the right time. America's Finest Legacy is the second strongest. While it doesn't apply to Legacy himself, it can't be destroyed, it starts in play, and it's still really strong.

The strongest offensive card that does not involve Legacy, to me, is "High-Risk Behavior," especially when you get two of them out. Add in "Looking Up" and you're doing great! +2 unlucky tokens a turn for free, with every 3 giving +2 damage dealt to villains, and a power to gain 3 tokens and punch a villain for 3+bonus damage? So, if they were all played the same turn with 0 tokens in the pool, that'd be 5 damage, then 7, then 11, then 15... Sure, you'll start taking 3 damage a turn pretty quickly, but there are no other drawbacks to this plan whatsoever! Honest!

The strongest card draw card is, in my opinion, Scholar's "Bring What You Need." You get to look at three cards, put two in your hand, and then draw a third at end of turn. This lets you dig through your deck super fast AND get a ginormous hand. Second best, to me? "Recompile!" Once Parse is setup (ie: 3x "Critical Multiplier"), that's basically draw 3 cards and deal 9 damage. The best is when you can "Snap Decision" a "Recompile," and then play a "Recompile," for 21 damage, +4 cards net, and cycling through a third of your deck in the process. Drawing cards has never been so fun! Team Communication is also a close contender for the best draw card. +4 cards AND a play! You really can't go wrong there.

The strongest defensive card, in my opinion, is a bit of a tossup between a number of them. I think a certain Monolithic card from WotC will win out here for me once I get a chance to play it, but until then, it's a tossup between Flesh to Iron (2x = -4 damage and easily maintainable), Stealth Bot (all hero targets are immune to 1 damages - crazy!), Human Shield (not hard to maintain, redirection is optional, and you can give Mainstay -2 damage taken fairly easily), and Indomitable Force (assuming Naturalist is in Rhino form, that's a -2 to all hero target damage, plus with Resilient Hide out, all hero targets are immune to 3 damage or less! Anything larger is reduced by 2, and Naturalist has tons of ways to heal. Unfortunately, Indomitable Force only lasts one turn). That Monolithic card, by the way, only lasts one turn and is forced redirection. But, you really can't beat a single card that gives both -2 damage taken AND hero damage redirection, even if it's just for one turn. No-setup-required tanking is some really good emergency tanking.

This game has many good cards. It makes me happy. ^_^

But, still, each hero has cards that they can't do without because they are crucial to the character's playstyle. Removing them would cripple those hero's decks. Does that make them "strong" cards? For instance, without Lightspeed Assault, Tachyon wouldn't do much of anything. Her whole mechanic is based around that one card. Same with Naturalist and either Rhino or Crocadile. Those are both key cards that his deck needs. Can you imagine playing Absolute Zero without one of his two Module cards? Or Argent without his Supertonic for song chains? You can essentially find the "strongest" card in any deck by finding what card the deck breaks down without. But, that's not a very fun definition of strong, is it?

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Reclaim->DDA is the best combo.  The other heroes get to play a card from the trash every roundturn for the rest of the game for free.

When Unload is one of them it gets really fun.  Works incredibly with Guise, and by incredibly I mean the brokeness is crazy.

You can also set up turns where you get multiple DDA in the same round, but it can break the system if you aren't careful.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Now that some people have got their copies of Wrath of the Cosmos, I suppose I can now say that we had a game at one of the London meets where we had Captain Cosmic and the Adept in the same game and Cosmic had put one of his equipment thingys on the Adept (played by me) which meant that whenever I regained hp I could use a power or something...anyway, it was a really cool combo which meant I just kept using chains of powers multiple times in a round (which in turn meant that everyone else kept getting to do a bunch of stuff). I can't remember what that piece of equipment was because it was probably about three months ago that we used it but I expect people who've got their copy of the game will be able to check and see what it is :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

It was Dynamic Siphon. Which also features a picture of the Adept on it. And it activated when it took damage. I think we had Fixer and the Scholar hitting it repeatedly as you had the Pipes, Rhapsody of Vigour and Scherzo of Frost and Flame out so you were more efficent at damage and healing than either of them, especially as you were keeping the Siphon topped up every time. But yes, putting the Siphon on a set-up Argent Adept results in power chains a-plenty.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

And this is presumably why they're on a team together. Man, that was a good game...

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

I mean, it's right in the name.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

On G+ we had a game of Cosmic, Argent Adept, the sentinels, Guise and the Scholar. It was crazy, every turn we would use scherzo on the siphon followed by the healing song. So essentially Scholar was healing 10 each turn and between him and the constructs, was ripping I believe Dawn apart.
It ended with a proverbs and axioms where scholar took the damage, triggering one of the constructs to hit him , followed by using Cosmic's sword on himself. This allowed him to be healed more for the win

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Christopher wins. We can all go home now.

/thread

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

I love the text on Best Card Ever. Its refering to Christopher

nyrens

Is it just me or is Dynamic Siphon TOO strong as written? Wouldn't it be more balanced if instead of: "Play this card next to a hero character card. After each time this card is dealt damage, the hero next to this card may use a power." it read: "Play this card next to a hero character card. After each time this card is dealt damage by a non-hero target, the hero next to this card may use a power." ? It just seems like it can easily lead to broken combos with, say, AA, when you can hit it for 1, 2, or 1 + 1 and then heal it to full during the course of the ~5 powers this gives you on every turn... Can also combo with any other hero that heals with a power while doing something else.

Meh, guess I'll have to see how it plays out. My copy of WotC comes tomorrow!

EDIT: Well, looking through the cards again, the only times Dynamic Siphon is "broken" as written is really with Argent Adept. The only other hero that can do that sort of combo is Tempest, with Cleansing Downpour. You can set it so every round, in addition to playing cards and doing other things, every hero target heals for 2*H. That's a LOT of healing! Since Dynamic Siphon isn't limited to once per turn, consider a team of Tempest (base), Fanatic (base), Wraith (Freedom 6 promo), Chrono Ranger, and Captain Cosmic (any). Dynamic Siphon on Tempest, Tempest plays Cleansing Downpour. Fanatic's base power targetting Dynamic Siphon lets Tempest use an offensive power AND healing every hero target (including the siphon) by 2. Wraith, once set up with her belt and some offensive might, can use a power offensively AND hit the conduit for 1 (as well as a hostile target for 1), healing every hero target for 2. Chrono Ranger can do practically anything, which lets him shoot something (the siphon) for 1. The second time on his turn that he hits the siphon, everyone is healed for 2 (the first time, Tempest uses an offensive power, such as his base power).

Anyway, I'm way off topic at this point. Sorry! That's just... such an amazing card in the right situation.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

nyrens wrote:

Is it just me or is Dynamic Siphon TOO strong as written? Wouldn't it be more balanced if instead of: "Play this card next to a hero character card. After each time this card is dealt damage, the hero next to this card may use a power." it read: "Play this card next to a hero character card. After each time this card is dealt damage by a non-hero target, the hero next to this card may use a power." ? It just seems like it can easily lead to broken combos with, say, AA, when you can hit it for 1, 2, or 1 + 1 and then heal it to full during the course of the ~5 powers this gives you on every turn... Can also combo with any other hero that heals with a power while doing something else.Meh, guess I'll have to see how it plays out. My copy of WotC comes tomorrow!

Just remember you can only use an instance of a power once per turn. It's particularly strong on AA, but not many heros have access to the power usage AA has. Chalk it up to really good Prime Warden team synergy.

Dynamic Siphon was A LOT stronger in PTing when hero damage could trigger it as well. Now that was broken.

nyrens

Foote wrote:
Just remember you can only use an instance of a power once per turn. It's particularly strong on AA, but not many heros have access to the power usage AA has. Chalk it up to really good Prime Warden team synergy.Dynamic Siphon was A LOT stronger in PTing when hero damage could trigger it as well. Now that was broken.

Fair enough! I edited my above post while you posted this to basically say the same thing. The only times this is super strong is with Argent Adept or with Tempest, both of whom are Prime Wardens. Wow, if that also triggered when the hero linked to it took damage... Yeah, I can see why that was changed!

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

nyrens wrote:

Foote wrote:
Just remember you can only use an instance of a power once per turn. It's particularly strong on AA, but not many heros have access to the power usage AA has. Chalk it up to really good Prime Warden team synergy.Dynamic Siphon was A LOT stronger in PTing when hero damage could trigger it as well. Now that was broken.

Fair enough! I edited my above post while you posted this to basically say the same thing. The only times this is super strong is with Argent Adept or with Tempest, both of whom are Prime Wardens. Wow, if that also triggered when the hero linked to it took damage... Yeah, I can see why that was changed!

No no. What I mean is that heros can't damage the Siphon themselves to trigger it. It used to work that way, but doesn't now. Fanatic can not hit Siphon to trigger it at all.

"After each time this card is dealt damage by a non-hero target" 

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester

Foote wrote:

nyrens wrote:
 Foote wrote:

No no. What I mean is that heros can't damage the Siphon themselves to trigger it. It used to work that way, but doesn't now. Fanatic can not hit Siphon to trigger it at all."After each time this card is dealt damage by a non-hero target" 

well either it got reverted or misprinted, as the cards lacks any non-hero target text, I just checked my copy/

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

kitmehsu wrote:

well either it got reverted or misprinted, as the cards lacks any non-hero target text, I just checked my copy/

Yeah you are right. Sorry guys for terrible misinformation. Just forget everything I said in the last few posts.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Foote wrote:

Yeah you are right. Sorry guys for terrible misinformation. Just forget everything I said in the last few posts.

What post?

nyrens

Foote wrote:

Well, even ignoring what you said that was incorrect, you still have a valid point. It isn't that OP when used on people who are not AA or Tempest. They're the only ones that can sustain the combo indefinitely. With anyone else, the conduit will break pretty fast. Still, I think it should only trigger on damage from non-hero targets. If it's too broken, I'll just house-rule it that way. That's the beauty of playing fully coop games! I mean, it's not like I don't already play with customized, non-official cards, between the PnP fanspansions, fan-decks I'm working on, and custom promos...

On topic: Still, Dynamic Conduit is a very, very strong card as written!

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

Foote wrote:

kitmehsu wrote:

Hey, Miss Information is a nice lady!

When not sabatoging a team of superheroes right under their nose.

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Ronway wrote:
Foote wrote:

What post?

All of them. I cannot be trusted

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Foote is correct most of the time!

Just not always.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

It actually is gamebreaking when combined with Prime Warden Captain Cosmic. Multiple uses of Absorbtion per round (3 is plenty, but you can do more if you want) followed by a Construct Cataclysm makes an unending chain of exploding and multiplying constructs for one massive hit of infinite damage. I just used that combo yesterday to take Skinwalker Gloomweaver from full health (on his FIRST SIDE) to dead in one turn.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

nyrens

McBehrer wrote:

It actually is gamebreaking when combined with Prime Warden Captain Cosmic. Multiple uses of Absorbtion per round (3 is plenty, but you can do more if you want) followed by a Construct Cataclysm makes an unending chain of exploding and multiplying constructs for one massive hit of infinite damage. I just used that combo yesterday to take Skinwalker Gloomweaver from full health (on his FIRST SIDE) to dead in one turn.

Whoa, I didn't even think of that! That truly is broken with damage on hero turns. It's doable without hero damage triggering the construct, but rather finicky and diffult to pull off that way. With hero damage being able to hit it, it's trivial to pull off. A two-card infinite-damage combo is ridiculous :o

(For those who don't see the combo - Absorbtion says that until the start of your next turn, every time a construct is destroyed, you can either play a card or draw a card. Nothing says it doesn't stack when used multiple times in one round. So, Captain Cosmic starts the game with Dynamic Siphon and Construct Cataclysm. On turn 1, he plays a Dynamic Siphon targetting him and activates Absorption. Another hero hits the Siphon for 1-2 damage, allowing Captain Cosmic to use Dynamic Siphon to stack a second Absorbtion. Another hero hits the Siphon for 1-2 damage (but not enough to destroy it), allowing Captain Cosmic to use Dynamic Siphon to stack a third Absorbtion. The fourth hero (or the environment, or the villain) deals the final bit of damage to the siphon. Based on how it works (I'm a bit shaky on this), it either lets Captain Cosmic use a fourth Absorbtion as it blows up or it doesn't (do those go off from the damage that breaks them?).

When the siphon is destroyed, it triggers the 3-4 stacked Absorbtions, allowing him to draw or play a card 3-4 times. He uses all but two to draw, then the second to last one to play a construct, and the last one to play Construct Cataclysm. Construct Cataclysm destroys all Constructs, then does one target X irreducible damage, where X is the number of constructs destroyed. First, it destroys the first construct that he just played. That construct's destruction triggers another 3-4 card draws/plays due to the stacked Absorbtions. He uses all but one to draw, and the last one to play a Construct. He repeats this N times, where N = infinity. Unless, of course, he gets insanely unlucky in his draws and does not get the constructs he needs to start it. But, given that 23 of his 40 cards are Constructs (22 of 38 once you remove the two he must have for the combo), him not getting a construct in his first 4, then 2 in his first 7, then 3 in his first 10 (etc) is just really, really low. And once it gets far enough along, it's truly unliminited, since he winds up with a hand full of one-shots and a deck full of constructs, and it just goes and goes until he finally gives up and blows everything up for 100000000 damage. On the first round!)

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

I very much doubt Absorbtion stacks. We had this debate in the PT forums. The power is not an additive effect in the same way Galvinize or Stealth is. Frankly, anytime you see an infinite loop like that, odds are you are playing it wrong.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

There is no reason that it wouldn't. The way it's worded, it should. "Whenever a construct is destroyed, you may draw or play a card." This would work exactly the same as if you had 2 cards in play with the same text, and those would definitely stack, right?

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

McBehrer wrote:

There is no reason that it wouldn't. The way it's worded, it should. "Whenever a construct is destroyed, you may draw or play a card." This would work exactly the same as if you had 2 cards in play with the same text, and those would definitely stack, right?

There is no reason why it would (or should). It is not the same as an additive effect like +/- damage modifiers. Not everything can stack

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

I'm not sure 3 posts will make you any more right, Foote.

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

As long as Dominion stacks, this card should work similarly.

I'm not sure I like the infinite damage combo, though.

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Greywind wrote:

I'm not sure 3 posts will make you any more right, Foote.

I have a hard enough time being right with just one post.

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

But the effect is to draw or play a card - not activate a power.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

We worked for quite a while trying to figure out how to word it, I can't find that thred at all, which given it would be after the promo reveal shouldn't be hard to find, but whatever.

The intent was to make it not stack and break the game.  How to word it so that inent would be clear was not an easy task and I don't think it was successful, but the intent is to have it not break the game, and thus not stack.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

McBehrer wrote:

I would suggest you review the card, here i'll post it.

Until the start of your next turn, whenever a construct is destroyed, you may shuffle it into your deck instead and either draw a card or play a card.

If you were to use the power multiple times, you would not be able to shuffle it back into the deck with the following uses, so only can either draw or play once per destruction.

nyrens

The wording released in the sneak peek of the promo was different, and that's what those of us who don't yet have our copy are going off of. Honestly, the wording should be, "Until the start of your next turn, whenever a construct is destroyed, you may shuffle it into your deck instead. If you do so, you may either draw a card or play a card." or "Until the start of your next turn, whenever a construct would be destroyed, you may shuffle it into your deck instead and either draw a card or play a card." The wording above doesn't have the draw/play conditional on the shuffling, and it doesn't stop the destruction from happening, so a second copy of the effect would still trigger on the destruction of a construct and still allow the draw/play. It would also shuffle the card that's already in your deck back into your deck.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

nyrens wrote:

The wording above doesn't have the draw/play conditional on the shuffling, and it doesn't stop the destruction from happening, so a second copy of the effect would still trigger on the destruction of a construct and still allow the draw/play. It would also shuffle the card that's already in your deck back into your deck.

The word "instead" is big here. Once one instance triggers, it is no longer something that has been destroyed, thus the destruction clause cannot trigger for anything else.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Also the "and" is important, the act of shuffling and the draw/play are linked.  If there was a period and a new sentence they would be seperated, but like Ronway states the first instance would trigger, shuffling the card into the deck and letting you play or draw, the second instance of the effect no longer has anything to react to so it doesn't do anything.

Cosmic Weapon is a great card for PW Cosmic, since an out of turn power use is worthless for purposes of your base power.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

The version of the card that I have (pre-playtesting fix; still don't have my hard copy yet) does not have that "shuffle it into your deck" text, and the spoiler sheet doesn't mention it either.

That definitely fixes it right up. Glad they did that.

-- Trajector

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

McBehrer wrote:

The version of the card that I have (pre-playtesting fix; still don't have my hard copy yet) does not have that "shuffle it into your deck" text, and the spoiler sheet doesn't mention it either. That definitely fixes it right up. Glad they did that.

the spoiler sheet is based on write-ups as provided by a play tester from the proof sheet. If a deck includes a yellow title column, it has not yet been proofread or compared against a physical copy of the card.

I won't promise that promo heroes are all appropriately yellow.

danmarshall14
danmarshall14's picture

Quote:

Infared Eyepiece is only good when you have a "bad" choice to bury and a tame one to send to the top. I'd say it's nowhere near the most powerful, just a lot of luck involved.

You can't really put a price on information though.  If Wraith is first or second in your lineup, your other heroes can play in a way that best responds to or prepares for the next Villain card.  

And besides, while both villain cards might be bad, one of them is most certainly the "less bad" option.  Having a way to mitigate your losses is quite important.

Anyways, Best Card Ever is definitely up there for...well...best card ever.  Card draw, damage, and a heal all on top of another free play?  There's almost no reason not to play that card if it's in your hand.

Pages