The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

What is the strongest hero card?

89 posts / 0 new
Last post
bshugg
What is the strongest hero card?

I know each hero has some powerful cards but what in your opinion is objectively the strongest over all card in all the hero decks?

Strongest overall?
Situationally best?

games?

Rabk
Rabk's picture
Playtester

Best Card Ever wrote:

Best. Card. Ever.

Barring that, however, I have to say that I get very excited to see either Impromtu Invention or Wrathful Retribution in my hand.

...yeah, me too.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I think many cards are situationally great. Wrathful Retribution, to use Rabk's example, isn't as useful if you're up against The Dreamer. frown

Having said that, we just had a discussion during a game last night that Impromptu Invention is just always amazing (although the word used was "overpowered" wink).

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Ario
Ario's picture
Playtester

While it doesn't allow as many options as Impromtu Invention, Unique Cabilities is an exciting card for me, and always useful: it can turn Irreducible damage against it's dealer, turn Plague Rat's infections into some kind of innoculation, and provide powerful options regardless of board position. 

cmschex
Playtester

Impromptu Invention is totally OP.  Fellet of Foot is close up there as an "auto play".

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Anything with a 'draw a crad, play a card' clause is pretty great; Impromptu is often called out as the best, but Unique Capabilities serves a similar porpoise, and Fleet of Foot and Team Communication are both fantastic for card draw.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

In terms of cards that can break villains and turn games into easy mode, Savage Mana is a whale of a card.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

Situationally best? Synactic Analysis is quite good for really getting a hero rolling during a turn by peeking at the top two cards.

Overall best: Savage Mana and Wrathful Retribution come to mind.

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

Azqa
Azqa's picture
Playtester

Savage Mana is definitely huge in most cases.  I tend to like Extrasensory Awareness for (often) being able to cripple a villain.  I'd think that Turn of Events, allowing everyone else to use a power, would be up there as well.

Blossercubbles
Blossercubbles's picture

In which deck is Unique Capabilities?

I came in here ready to support the Impromptu Invention train, and I was not dissappointed. You can summon 2 Equipment cards, plus draw a card on top of it. Oft times, you can follow up with double powers, too, thanks to Utility Belt. Maybe it's just Wrait being Wraith, though. As mentioned before, any Draw a card, Play a card things are always great.

I fall up the stairs.

"Right, Left, Right, Left! Chu! Chu! Chu!

bshugg

interesting as my choices are completely different.

Savage mana seems like it could be strong against some of the recur villians but I can never get it going beyond 3-4 cards.  

I didn't consider the tutor effects and Impromptu Invention is the strongest of them all.

For me its a toss up between 3 cards depending on what you are facing:

Wraith's Infrared Eyepiece
Tempest's Cleansing Downpour
Fanatic's End of Days

The End of Days reset stops so many bad situations from happening but doesn't help at all when you are way ahead or facing down deadly damage from a villain's card in the next few turns.

Downpour is always amazing, 6-10 life a turn can undo a lot of villain actions.   The only weakness is that it costs a power use in a deck that is stretched for them and has some other amazing powers you want to use.
Eyepiece shuts down most villians, draws a ton of cards, and you can often be used at no cost as you have utility belt in play.   It doesn't impact a bad board state thats already in play however.

games?

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Savage Mana is only as good as the matchup you are playing. It can't be compared to Impromptu in the same breath if we are talking about best overall cards.

Savage Mana is a dead card in any match up against Iron Legacy, Kismet, Miss Info, Plauge Rat, Progeny, ect. 

Impromptu is most likely the best play against any villain in any situation. 

As far as which card is situationally the best? That is totally dependant on the situation. 98% of cards in this game are situational. Impromptu and the few other "Draw/play" machanic cards are the rare exception.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Best. Card. Ever.  Seriously, it lives up to its title.  But then what do we know about that?

As for currently released cards, here is Phantaskippy's top ten, kind of in order.

1.  Impromptu Invention.  Fully replaces itself and adds any equip from your deck, the sheer number and variety of equips gives this card the edge over Unique Capabilities.

2.  Infrared Eyepiece.  It destroys so many villains, and is really good against most others.  Just an incredible power, and it gives you a card draw.

3.  Inspiring Presence.  No upkeep cost, a heal to start and +1 to all hero damage, it is awesome.

4.  Wrest The Mind.  So many targets to use this on, most of which you can clear with no damage to Visionary.  Also provides opportunity to destroy several decks used well.  Visionary's ability to decoy or cocoon her backlash damage and get WtM back from the trash helps it get a spot on this list.

5.  Grease Gun.  Cost is arguably higher than Ground Pound for less scope of protection, but the ability to get it into play in tough situations when you might not be able to pay for Ground Pound is great.

6.  Mistbound.  Beats out Take Down because it can target the environment or villain, or even whatever deck Ronway is playing, because sometimes you want your hero to live.

7.  Bestial Shift.  The best card in a really strong deck.  It is versatile and powerful, and sets off a really nice combo that requires minimal setup.  Can grant multiple effects and power uses, all of which are strong in this deck.

8.  Battlefield Experience.  A hard card to quantify, it refunds itself and the play you used on it, then it gives you a 2 and 2 power that she boosts internally.  It also provides you with the opportunity to set up a bigger turn by playing it and saving that extra card play for another turn.  It is a combo-nut's dream and a great overall card.  It also gives some insurance against destruction, which is nice, esp. when you can set up a combo for the Villain turn.

9.  Fueled Freeze.  The best ongoing destruction card in the game.  I don't care about your arguments to the contrary, because they are wrong. 

10.  Stealth Bot.  Best Tank Ever.  No upkeep, can come out and back in multiple times, laughs at single points of damage, and can take damage from any source at the player's whim.  It's a fantastic card.  Only weakness is it's power scales inversely with (H).

Plasterboard

Parse's Buffer Overflow. Being able to say no to something that could devastate the team is pretty good.

Legacy's Take Down is similar, but more in line with stalling the villain in the early game or preparing for a coordinated assault to end it.

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

Infared Eyepiece is only good when you have a "bad" choice to bury and a tame one to send to the top. I'd say it's nowhere near the most powerful, just a lot of luck involved.

Fueled Freeze is good, but Ball Lightning is also guaranteed damage. Given that tempest can do AoE anyway, swinging for a guaranteed 4 damage plus 2 ongoings isn't bad.

Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Cedistic Dissonant:  For nuking that one card that you can't deal with, and for drawing cards as well.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

jsz2 wrote:

Cedistic Dissonant:  For nuking that one card that you can't deal with, and for drawing cards as well.

He has a point. Being able to destroy anything is pretty impressive.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Team Communication is amazing. 4 card draw, plus an extra play? Awesome.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Sedative Flechettes.  Destroys two ongoings and deals all the baddies 2 damage.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

That'd be Disruptive Flechettes - Sedative is villain-Omnitron's version ;).

Anyway, agreeing on Impromptu Invention being most uber :). Anything with "draw a card, play a card" is super-useful too. Someone asked, a few posts back, where Unique Capabilities is from - it belongs to the Sentinels. It's something like "search your deck for a Signature card and put it into play, draw a card, play a card". I've been in at least one game where two or three Team Communications (draw four cards, play a card) have chained into two or three Unique Capabilities :D.

I think Arcane Cadence is pretty good, especially early game (not so much in the later stages of a longer game when you've managed to get set up and don't really need anything in particular to come out any more) and even more so if you can chain it into other copies of itself - it means you can basically search a decent portion of your deck and have a much greater chance of getting hold of the stuff you think you're really gonna need for that game :).

Buffer Overflow is another nice one - "Oh, a Devastating Aurora? Umm, nope >:)". Very useful if you're against anyone who can turn the tables in a single card play.

Cards like Wrathful Retribution, Savage Mana, and Omnicannon are good for use as finishing moves if you can get the latter two powered up enough, which of course is very hard/impossible to do with Savage Mana if you're against someone like Spite or Iron Legacy who have no targets in their deck besides themselves.

What else is good? By Any Means, that's another one - stick it on the main villain and hit them for more damage. Have someone redirect the villain's own damage to themselves so they hit themselves more. In Akash'Bhuta's case, you even get to take advantage of the natural course of play as she hits herself for buffed damage when you break her limbs (fantastic fun if she has many of them out and an End of Days gets played, during which you conveninently have the bounty destroyed after all the limbs are gone >:)).

There's probably a whole bunch of other cards that are "zomg love this one!" but I think I've covered several of my main ones, at least :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Foote wrote:

When you have 1 HP and Interpolation Beam is in play.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

MigrantP wrote:

Foote wrote:

When you have 1 HP and Interpolation Beam is in play.

Who needs HP?

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Not Ronway, that's for damn sure

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

I thonk people are underestimating Inspiring Presence. This game is tuned towards damage and rhis card does it best. There are a couple situations that it may not be perfect, but the main cases, plague rat and iron legacy are still damage races. Hero hp is overrated, burn them down before they do the same to you

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

"By Any Means " from Chrono-Ranger is comparable to Inspiring Presence.   It doesn't have drawbacks of when you damage yourself and if cards from the villain or environment cause damage they are dealt extra in those cases too.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

It also only applies to one target, while IP applies to everyone you hit. In most cases, there will be multiple targets to hit, so IP is better than By Any Means.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Like I said it is comparable and with how CR's deck works is more likely to see play.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

I play Inspiring Presence anytime i draw it

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

That being said, sometimes you don't WANT to hit every target, or you want to buff damage dealt to that target by non-hero sources. In these cases, By Any Means is superior.

It really just comes down to circumstance. Obviously the only correct answer is BOTH of them, together.

-- Trajector

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

McBehrer wrote:

That being said, sometimes you don't WANT to hit every target, or you want to buff damage dealt to that target by non-hero sources. In these cases, By Any Means is superior. It really just comes down to circumstance. Obviously the only correct answer is BOTH of them, together.

Unless you are against the dreamer. By any means loses efficiency the more targets you want to kill
phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

By any means has its moments, and it's main denefit of increasing damage dealt to that target by environment and villain targets is great.  In most cases Inspiring presence is better.

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

By any means can be tutored and has two cards that can contribute to destruction recovery meaning it is much easier to play compared to inspiring présence. It may not be card texte but it factors in a cards efficiency.

Kingofsouls

Team Lader Tachyon is in my opinion best card (character cards are still cards!) Everyone draws a card for your turns power? Please sir may I have another?

Programming is like Life: Complicated and too many rules.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

The number of villains where you would want By Any Means over Inspiring Presence is so small.  

Iron Legacy and Plague Rat in games with low environment target threat and Tachyon but not Absolute Zero?

Are there other matchups where the threat of hero self damage is greater than the extra damage to all but one target?

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

KNYFE maybe but i still think she would prefer IP. And i even think most times CR would prefer IP to BAM

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

I guess Setback too... but honestly who tries to play Setback safely

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

*Raises hand*

It can be done. Although I aim for self-preservation early game and switch to damage output mode late game when we're pushing for damage more. Unless I get Silver Lining early.

Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

eyelessgame

For situational strength, I will suggest what we just did last night (we have had the basic game only, for two days so far): as the Visionary in a five-player game, facing Omnitron, who had just drawn Electro-Pulse Explosive, I played Wrest the Mind and did 70 points damage to Omnitron at the start of his next turn.

Unless we misread the rules or failed to find an errata, that is. (Other than the very short thread on official errata here, is there a good place to ask clarification questions? I had a couple other questions that came up in the two games we've so far played, and I probably will have more.)

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

First, Welcome to the forums!

Second, Spiff has an amazing FAQ.

Third, while Wrest the Mind is fantastic with the Electro-Pulse Explosive, the overall damage will be slightly lower. After each redirection, the EPE will take 3 damage from Visionary, which will lower its next damage. So, if there were five hero targets out, the EPE would deal: 15+12+9+6+3=45 damage without other modifications.

Fourth: If you need to ask any questions, you can try searching for the answer by typing in the cards (although this doesn't always work great. Or just start a thread over here.

Fifth: Welcome to the forums!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

Kingofsouls wrote:

Team Lader Tachyon is in my opinion best card (character cards are still cards!) Everyone draws a card for your turns power? Please sir may I have another?  

I find I actually prefer Super-Scientific to Team Leader.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

It's hard to argue against Impromptu Invention or Team Leader Tachyon, but I think that Jim's Hat is also a contender. Particularly if used early in the game, it can lead to many more extra cards in play than Impromptu Invention.

The same could be said of HUD Goggles, but Tachyon has plenty of other ways to get extra card plays, so the effect of HUD Goggles isn't as strong as Jim's Hat. 

I don't recall any other cards that allow a hero to play two cards every turn. As for the cards that allow a hero to use two powers (Utility Belt, Legacy Ring, Turret Mode, etc.) I think they provide less flexibility as one generally has fewer powers to choose from then cards.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Snap Decision. It has the discard cost, but when you get 3 critical multipliers, that's hardly a downside.

-- Trajector

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

To me the strongest card is Reclaim from the Deep. It gives you access to using AGAIN and AGAIN all the best cards of your team. Reclaim from the Deep can reclaim itself, and allow all your teammates to use their best card once every two turn at worse. As you pointed out very little point in not playing Impromptu Invention, or Fleet of Foot and with that you could over and over the only backside is it stalls Tempest but it does so for the greater good of the team. If you've got a way to play extra cards like AA as a teammate or PW Tempest you're not even stalled.

GeorgeDubya

Medic-Tank wrote:

To me the strongest card is Reclaim from the Deep. It gives you access to using AGAIN and AGAIN all the best cards of your team. Reclaim from the Deep can reclaim itself, and allow all your teammates to use their best card once every two turn at worse. As you pointed out very little point in not playing Impromptu Invention, or Fleet of Foot and with that you could over and over the only backside is it stalls Tempest but it does so for the greater good of the team. If you've got a way to play extra cards like AA as a teammate or PW Tempest you're not even stalled.

Reclaim is good, but you would need two copies of it to have them Reclaim each other. The first copy wouldn't be in the trash when it takes effect and lets you pull one out. Otherwise, yeah, great card.

Personally, I'm currently in love with BEST CARD EVER, and Impromptu Invention is an eternal favorite.

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

Impromptu Invention is always best when you can chain them.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I'd argue that Impromptu and the cards it has a high likelihood of putting in play (including gaining an extra power) in Wraith's deck is worth more than an extra card play in Chrono-Ranger's deck.  Wraith's equipment is really powerful.

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

Reclaim from the Deep + Vernal Sonata = <3

Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

Yes, but the topic is "what is the strongest hero card", not "what makes an awesome combo".

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I set up all of the cards under the force-displacement tester at work. It turns out that Enduring Intercession is the strongest card. Who knew?

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

Greywind wrote:

Yes, but the topic is "what is the strongest hero card", not "what makes an awesome combo".

I know...but we were on the topic of "reclaim from the deep" and pointed out that a card allows great recycling, that's all.

Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I've had both copies of Don't Dismiss Anything and spent most of a game chaining them, which was fun (play DDA, it goes to trash, next turn play other DDA to put first DDA to top of deck then second copy goes to trash, end of turn draw first DDA again, next turn play first DDA to put second one back on top of deck, and so on) :).

As for cards that let you play other cards, I think Swift Bot does, doesn't she? I think she gives you an extra play and draw per turn.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Pages