The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Spiff's SotM Accessories

454 posts / 0 new
Last post
Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

The Card List has been updated with all the new stuff now, too.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I posted a small update to the FAQ.  I included the ruling about Guise's "Lemme See That..." (while Guise has access to the equipment card, the original owner is locked out), clarification about what switching Sky-Scraper's character cards means (pretty much exactly what you'd expect it does), and maybe a couple of smaller tweaks too (can't remember).

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I added card-sized hp trackers for all the new promo heroes to the promos & alts file.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I've been contacted by multiple people over the past few weeks asking if I'd make oversized accessories for the great fan-made decks of The Cauldron, which was created by Matthew Bishop (tosx on BGG).  I had actually made a couple of Cauldron oversized cards back in the day but never finished the set, but I'm thinking I may try to do that now. I've posted a collection of what I've got to my site and will continue adding to it over time.  If you're interested, go take a look.

morph147

hey spiff,

I was messing around with your stuff today and saw the enviornment maps. I actually like the idea especially since my group plays on a circular table and its difficult to keep things organized. Do you think this could eventually spread to havning single tyles for the villians? where you can have a spot for the villian deck and discard pile and possibly the character cards? maybe even the hero cards as well. I know this wouldnt work for the all the ongoing or equipment but could help organize the table a bit.

I know greater than games has the play map for this but again that only works on certain size table or more and typically for me anyways we either play at something circular or I play by myself on a smaller table.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

morph147

anyone who has printed off Spiff's card boxes for Sentinels know if they fit inside the enhanced edition box? I dont want to print them out and then not fit.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I don't think I'd make tiles for the villains with spaces for decks and discards.  The oversized villain cards are already pretty big and it's easy enough to put the deck and discard piles next to the oversized villain card.  So, it's not a terrible idea, but I don't think I'll do it.

I don't know if the boxes fit in the enhanced box, but I'd be surprised if they did.  Maybe someone else has tried it.

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

If I remember, I'll check when I get home tonight. My gut says that they won't fit, though.

morph147

Quick note while printing the tuck boxes for sotm. You must print them in landscape mode or you will get a box for mini decks....

may any want to add to printing instructions

morph147

As a quick sidenote I just printed off absolute zero card box and yes it does fit the enhanced edition box. You will need to make sure there is some room to get your fingers in there to pull them out in each row but it works well and makes readying what's what from above easy

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

When things were too cramped, I just put a ribbon around the decks.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

morph147

May end up doing that idk. Shall see where it all goes

Spiff
Spiff's picture

morph147 wrote:

Quick note while printing the tuck boxes for sotm. You must print them in landscape mode or you will get a box for mini decks.... may any want to add to printing instructions

Do you have your printer to "scale to fit"?  That may explain why it tries to shrink the image when you try to print in portrait mode.

morph147

Spiff wrote:

morph147 wrote:
Quick note while printing the tuck boxes for sotm. You must print them in landscape mode or you will get a box for mini decks.... may any want to add to printing instructions

Do you have your printer to "scale to fit"?  That may explain why it tries to shrink the image when you try to print in portrait mode.

honestly no clue. Using a windows computer to print and I am used to using Linux. Dumb windows 8

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

So, Spiff accessories are the best. The expanded villain cards, environment backgrounds, all the extra goodies; I love it all.

Except for the HP trackers.

I could never make the double-dial trackers work properly, and the numbers were definitely on the small side for easy viewing across a table. So I designed my own. They're about as long as a card, so they can easily be tucked into the box. There's just one generic design for heroes and villains, so you should be able to get by with six or seven dials (the Ennead and the Sentinels being the exceptions, of course). I fastened mine with 3/16" paper eyelets.

Do you guys use HP dials? Any other sweet accessorizing tips?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x03cht73zo9k2g2/HP%20Dials.pdf?dl=0

"To such simple minds, my advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic!"

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Those look great. :)

morph147

Hey spiff. Have you been updating the faq with respect to the fireside chats? Love how you do it and try to keep a copy on my iPad but it says on your site it hasn't been updated in a while.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

No, I haven't.  The only reason I was doing it was because the information didn't exist anywhere else and I wanted it for my own gameplay, but now the video game guys are obviously keeping a list of all those FAQ-ey tidbits so it should be easy for GtG to produce an actual FAQ of their own now.  They're obviously too busy to do it, which is a shame, but it's up to them to handle FAQs for their own game, I think.

morph147

Spiff wrote:

No, I haven't.  The only reason I was doing it was because the information didn't exist anywhere else and I wanted it for my own gameplay, but now the video game guys are obviously keeping a list of all those FAQ-ey tidbits so it should be easy for GtG to produce an actual FAQ of their own now.  They're obviously too busy to do it, which is a shame, but it's up to them to handle FAQs for their own game, I think.

ok sounds good.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

My wife had a great idea for an accessory to go with the new Naturalist promo: tokens for the crocodile, rhinoceros, and gazelle forms so that it's easy to remember which form you picked on your last turn.

Going with that idea, maybe True Purpose Chrono-Ranger also could use a little cross-hairs token to stick on his new bounty target.

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

Spiff wrote:

To your credit, nothing was added to your FAQ without official word. It's just that the video game has granted us a point of reference for how things work, and thus we now have a hard and fast method of checking several card interactions. It's a wonderful added bonus of digital convenience.

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Killswitch wrote:

Spiff wrote:
To your credit, nothing was added to your FAQ without official word. It's just that the video game has granted us a point of reference for how things work, and thus we now have a hard and fast method of checking several card interactions. It's a wonderful added bonus of digital convenience.

I 100% agree.  And since the video game had to nail down some the stickier interactions in the game, they've now got that stuff documented.  If they had the time, presumably they could post a FAQ tomorrow which would be worlds better than what I could do.

morph147

Spiff wrote:

Killswitch wrote:
 Spiff wrote:

I 100% agree.  And since the video game had to nail down some the stickier interactions in the game, they've now got that stuff documented.  If they had the time, presumably they could post a FAQ tomorrow which would be worlds better than what I could do.

i know but I like your format right now. Easy to follow. Agree though gtg needs a full easy to understand faq

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I received my copy of VotM today and have updated the card list on my site to include the new stuff plus the promos.  I broke the file into two - there's one for the card list itself and a second for the old info on what changed in the EE and RC updates.  The two bits used to be combined but I figured that the update info is becoming less relevant to people who buy the game nowadays so there's no point to bloating the card list with it, though it's still available if anyone wants it.

Still no art from GtG though, so still no VotM accessories.  I'm missing the card boxes big time. :(

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I spent some time cleaning up the Randomizer so it's now back up to fighting strength, more or less.  I've included placeholder art taken from the web for all the new stuff, have added in all the new decks and promos, and have made it more multi-villain friendly than before.  In the Options section, it's just a one-button click to toggle between randomizing normal games and multi-villain ones.  You'll only be shown villains of the type you choose to make the choices easier, and if you choose multi-villain, it'll show full-size pix of all the villains you'll be facing down rather than the weird way I was doing it before when Vengeance was the only multi-villain game in town.

http://www.spiffworld.com/sotm/randomizer.cfm

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Looks really good, Spiff.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

TCP
TCP's picture

Cool! I've been waiting for this since getting my copy last week.

It looks like you have Chokepoint on the wrong side, though; she's a solo villain, not a Vengeance-style one.

tHE_chiLd_iS_thE_cEnteR

cmschex
Playtester

Selfishly, I certainly hope they see this and send you the art, as my set looks incomplete with the new decks now having boxes.  I introduced some new folks to SotM this weekend and one of them was more fascinated by the tuckboxes than the game, I think

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Yeah, I thought I'd fixed Chokepoint but hadn't, so now it should be actually fixed.  And I've added Alt: Infinitor and Alt: Kismet to the Randomizer as well now (forgot to add them because I didn't order the oversized villain cards).  They've got placeholder art though of course.

I have managed to put together three things using just art I can get off the web - environment mats for Madame M, Magmaria, and Court of Blood, and the card boxes for those three environments.  For anything else, I'm going to need the real thing.

spiffworld.com has been acting wonky this weekend.  I called them and they're fixing the problem now, so hopefully the site should be OK soon.

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

I just went to check out the updated randomizer and noticed that Wager Master seems to be missing.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Ugh.  It's an easy fix but I can't do it here at work, so I'll have to do it tonight.  Thanks for finding that.

EDIT: Wager Master's back on the menu.

Dawn_Mage
Dawn_Mage's picture

i crashed the randomizer last time when i wanted to randomize a vengiance game (where swaping out 2 villains with villains of the multivers stuf and even did the envirionemt). i usaly use this randomizer with the G+ games. some complain that coldron heros are not in it. wel most of us dont own that and you can stil swap 1 hero and trow a die to determan couldron hero.

The Game is on.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Can you replicate what you did to crash the Randomizer?  If so, please PM me the info so I can see if it's something I should fix.

It's not that hard to crash - if you tell it you want a multi-villain game but don't check enough villains to include in the selection, it'll complain.  I've got some basic error checking in there but it's not bullet-proof because I haven't invested the time to make it bullet-proof.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I added a set of 3D tokens to the Hunted Naturalist's form tracker file for people who prefer to use tokens rather than a spinner.  You lay them out "this turn" up and then after your turn you remove any "last turns" and flip all "this turns" to show "last turn".

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Awesome!

Spiff
Spiff's picture

For anyone interested in news like this: I've gone back and reworked all of my oversized villain cards to remove the bit of flavor text they had and replaced it with the villain's Advanced rules. This means that if you play with Advanced rules, you don't need to lay out an additional card showing those rules - it's all on one oversized card now.

I initially included that flavor text back when the game first came out because I felt more should be done to share the story of what was happening when you fought a villain, but since then the story embedded in the game has grown immensely and it hasn't felt necessary (if it ever was) for a long time.

Mini-bosses with their own advanced rules, like the Vengeful Five and the Operative, still need an Advanced card because there's not enough room on the smaller mini-boss cards for everything.

cleave29

Who do we write to to get them to send you the art files for Villains of the Multiverse?

I'm so used to the big cards that it feels weird to play without them.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I'm hesitant to be the cause of a spam campaign against GtG, but it probably couldn't hurt to have a few people email to let them know it's more than just me who's waiting.  Thanks for the support.

I agree, it does feel weird to play without the usual set of accessories.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

In other news, I added America's Cleverest Legacy to the Randomizer as an option.  Christopher confirmed the promo is digital-only, but if you'd like to add it to your rotation, you can check its box.

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Does it have incap powers somewhere?

Spiff
Spiff's picture

It does not and apparently will not. Easy enough to use the base Legacy's incap abilities though. That's what I plan on doing once (if) I get the art for Cleverest Legacy and can make an oversized hero hp tracker out of it. 

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Any word if GTG will make a printable version of Cleverist Legacy?

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Yes, and the word is they're not planning on doing it, unfortunately. That question was asked and answered in the post-ARG stream. 

morph147

UXM266 wrote:

Any word if GTG will make a printable version of Cleverist Legacy?

wait this is actually a thing?

Spiff
Spiff's picture

morph147

Spiff wrote:

when does this come out

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

If you are asking from GtG never according to the Q&A during the art livestream.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

morph147

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

If you are asking from GtG never according to the Q&A during the art livestream.  

this is just a card someone made up then?

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

morph147 wrote:
Powerhound_2000 wrote:

This was hidden during the official puzzle hunt, so it's not just "someone". I guess this version of Legacy is canon, but won't get a printed version.
Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

morph147 wrote:

Have you not been following the ARG/Whose Tim Cosing thread?

Wager Master made an apperiance in the game and his "regular" clue led to the next part of the game but there was a "supplemental" clue that led to that JPG, it looks like it was a joke of Wager Master's.

https://greaterthangames.com/139724865

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Pages