The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

SotM Question of the Day

188 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Donner wrote:

Setback's original name was Trouble.

I'm pretty sure he's still called that... wink

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

The Chairman went through a few synonyms before settling on his name, The Monitor and The Toastmaster didn't really inspire the same level of confidence.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Ex-Patriette rejected Deadeye.

Kratos13

Plague Rat's rejected name was Rat-Man

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Plague Rat wanted to be called "Snrrrlrhissrgrrrrrrrr" but his PR team couldn't decide how to spell it and quietly switched it on the forms.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

jffdougan wrote:

WOW

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:

jffdougan wrote:

WOW

Is that a good wow or a bad one? I just meant rejected as in "considered and decided not to use...."

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

jffdougan wrote:

arenson9 wrote:
 jffdougan wrote:

WOW

Is that a good wow or a bad one? I just meant rejected as in "considered and decided not to use...."

That's both a good AND a bad wow, because you've made a direct reference to the fact that one of her eyes is dead, while also using an idiom that refers to her excellent aim, so well done in finding two such excellent meanings summed up in one name, BUT I think she'd kill you for referring to her dead eye, so bad player, no biscuit.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Well, thank you. I worked hard on that one, especially because I didn't think it was a name already in use by any other comic book hero (that I knew of).

And I prefer to think of her eye as missing rather than dead. Maybe it's that I just finished listening to The Eye of the World, and am almost all the way through the first disk of the Great Hunt, and therefore have Mat Cauthon on the brain.

cnranger

New Question of the day:

Halloween recently passed where I live, my son dressed up as Ra, his favorite SOTM hero. If you were to dress up as a one of the heroes of the multiverse who would you choose and why?

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

That's easy it would be Guise since he is the best hero.   

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Setback!  He's my favorite and I look a bit like him.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Trajector
Trajector's picture

cnranger wrote:

New Question of the day:Halloween recently passed where I live, my son dressed up as Ra, his favorite SOTM hero. If you were to dress up as a one of the heroes of the multiverse who would you choose and why?

It would be awfully strange if Halloween *hasn't* recently passed "where you live." Was there a risk it wouldn't? Did you misplace a temporal grenade, cnranger?
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

cnranger wrote:

New Question of the day:Halloween recently passed where I live, my son dressed up as Ra, his favorite SOTM hero. If you were to dress up as a one of the heroes of the multiverse who would you choose and why?

Which _hero_, eh? So much for choosing The Deputy ...

Omnitron X would be awesome.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Siege-Breaker, because a villain is the hero of their own story.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Dr. Medico. 

cnranger

Trajector wrote:

cnranger wrote:

It would be awfully strange if Halloween *hasn't* recently passed "where you live." Was there a risk it wouldn't? Did you misplace a temporal grenade, cnranger?

Well besides time travel shenanigans, I was not sure how widely celebrated Halloween is around the world, and didn't feel like looking it up.

Katsue
Katsue's picture

cnranger wrote:

Trajector wrote:
 cnranger wrote:

Well besides time travel shenanigans, I was not sure how widely celebrated Halloween is around the world, and didn't feel like looking it up.

The thing is, there's no dispute over the date of Halloween*, so regardless of whether anyone has celebrated it, it's either passed or it hasn't.

cnranger

Fair enough.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

My son was GI Bunker. Pic in another thread.

I'd be the Adept.

Animus
Animus's picture
Playtester

cnranger wrote:

Because I love the story of these two characters and my wife and I are the ethnicities of the characters, I would dress up as Mr. Fixer and she as The Operative. 

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I have a Ra costume I put a decent amount of time into that I really want to complete with a Staff of Ra, but that's going to require I find/make a 3-D print model of the head into which I can fit the gem and electronics (which I already have).

(Yeah, if anyone can help with that, I'd be willing to pay. laugh)

Being hairless, the other options for me have been Absolute Zero (which I really want to do, but I'm an engineer by training so I want to do it right, and that will take more time than I have right now), The Chairman's Muscle (which I really want to do, even if it's a less-well-known character), Imprisoned Rogue (also want to do, but that's a little... on-the-head angel), and cross-gendered Visionary (which I really need to look into). 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Aren't you always cosplaying as the Imprisoned Rogue?

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Rabit wrote:

I have a Ra costume I put a decent amount of time into that I really want to complete with a Staff of Ra, but that's going to require I find/make a 3-D print model of the head into which I can fit the gem and electronics (which I already have).(Yeah, if anyone can help with that, I'd be willing to pay. laugh)

You could also search for Raiders of the Lost Ark replicas.
cnranger

Rabit wrote:

I have a Ra costume I put a decent amount of time into that I really want to complete with a Staff of Ra, but that's going to require I find/make a 3-D print model of the head into which I can fit the gem and electronics (which I already have).(Yeah, if anyone can help with that, I'd be willing to pay. laugh)

That's way cooler than my son's PVC pipe, spray painted gold, with a cardboard head! Unfortunately no one who we haven't personally indroduced Sentinels to recognized who he was. Most assumed a pharoah though one said egyptian princess.

Bas

Rabit wrote:

I have a Ra costume I put a decent amount of time into that I really want to complete with a Staff of Ra, but that's going to require I find/make a 3-D print model of the head into which I can fit the gem and electronics (which I already have).

Suggestion: a bit of birdhouse gauze for structure and shape and some paper machee for layering and final shape.Top it off with some gold paint and you have a head with place for electronics :-)

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Aren't you always cosplaying as the Imprisoned Rogue?

Kinda. Just need the outfit...

cnranger wrote:

That's way cooler than my son's PVC pipe, spray painted gold, with a cardboard head! Unfortunately no one who we haven't personally indroduced Sentinels to recognized who he was. Most assumed a pharoah though one said egyptian princess.

Hey, that's pretty awesome! I don't even have a staff, right now, so he's ahead of me! smiley

And I get that a lot, unfortunately. (Although Egyptian princess is a new one...) I actually have cards I carry with an image of Ra from the game (and a small ad for the game) that I give folks who don't know who I'm dressed as. 

Yeah, I'm a geek. blush

Bas wrote:

Suggestion: a bit of birdhouse gauze for structure and shape and some paper machee for layering and final shape.Top it off with some gold paint and you have a head with place for electronics :-)

Thanks, Bas! I started looking into options like that (although that's a lot simpler/better than I was pursuing: handcarving it from wood! surprise), but decided I wanted something I could easily replace if it should break. Because I know me. wink

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

You could hand carve it out of wood. Then use the carving as a positive to make a mold and cast as many as you like.

illusive622

My whole family and tons of my friends love SotM! We love the all of the official expansions (mega and mini), a couple of promos we have and a fan created expansion! Its easy to get a five player game going. I was wondering if there is a possible re-release of the past promo cards coming. We've preordered the next expansion and oversized villain cards. We hunger for more, running tournaments. Variants are excellent and new material is more than welcome! Any suggestions? Or news of promos?

I love these games!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Once the game is complete, they will be releasing a promo pack that will contain all promos. The end is nigh.

jackswann
jackswann's picture

And if you're desperate to play with the promos before the full pack release, you can print them on card stock, I believe there's a good quality pdf on spiff's website. I have the earlier ones (before I bought the game and could obtain promos) printed out, and given I sleeve the character cards for my game, you barely notice that they're slightly different stock.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Even if you don't have proper cards on which to get the promos printed, worst case scenario you can just scrawl down their details on a piece of paper and use that (you only need hp, base power, and incap abilities, after all) :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Ameena wrote:

Even if you don't have proper cards on which to get the promos printed, worst case scenario you can just scrawl down their details on a piece of paper and use that (you only need hp, base power, and incap abilities, after all) :D.

I totally did this when I first heard about the promo cards!

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

VisforYoshi
VisforYoshi's picture

It's been a while since somebody has posted a question here, so I'll post one: Your birthday is coming up, and you can invite any one hero to go. Which hero would you choose? Why? What do you think they would do while they were at the party? (i.e. would Haka eat all the cake? Would Setback pop the bounce house on accident?)

"A delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is bad forever"

-Shigeru Miyamoto

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Interesting set up. This isn't pick one hero to have a conversation with or hang out with, but specifically to invite to your birthday party.

Guise.

I'd be nervous as hell about what he'd actually do, but I can't imagine anyone who would enliven a party more.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Haka. Hands-down.

Why? Go search the forums for Christopher's story about Tachyon, Expatriette, Mainstay, and Haka walking into a bar.

He would be simultaneously the most fun-loving and the most thoughtful guy at the party.

Yak Guardian
Yak Guardian's picture
Playtester

Ra.

Of course, you'd never get those candles blown out.

Yak Guardian
(aka Michael)
R.I.P. Blake Washington

Pages