The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

SotM Question of the Day

188 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
SotM Question of the Day

I am going to try and post an SotM question everyday. If you have any suggestions for the question of the day, just send me a PM. Let's get this party started!

First question:

Who(m) would you rather work for: Citizen Dawn or The Chairman. Why?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Bowie
Bowie's picture
Playtester

The Chairman. I'm a big fan of predictable employment, and I feel like he's more likely to offer medical, dental, annual leave and the like-- I mean, he runs a Fortune 500!

Plus, big fan of mob movies. I'd rather be in the Godfather than in the Heaven's Gate cult.

Bowie S, pronounced like David, not like Knife, can be found in Minneapolis and has Monomaniacal Reverse Engineer d10
Death and the dice level all distinctions. -Samuel Foote

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

The Chairman. I do not have super powers, so working for Citizen Dawn will be far more hazardous to my health than working for The Chairman, probably. Plus, I would assume The Chairman has employees that aren't evil nor know of his criminal plans, so it'll be no different than right now... Other than I would have a job. Now I just realized that would mean I would live in Rook City. Lets hope that most criminals I encounter will be under The Chairman's thumb and won't bug his employees...

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Citizen Dawn.

The only way to get in her employ is to have superpowers, so working with her means I must have superpowers, right?

EDIT: Also, I'd be paired up with someone else to make some sort of themed team, oh the fun of coming up with our name!

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Bowie
Bowie's picture
Playtester

p.s. Matchstickman and Pydro, since I have you both here: while very stressful, my one-man-Nightmisting victory vs. Adv. Plague Rat was ludicrously straightforward a success. The rest of the team was much more useful unconscious! Especially Tempest.

...relevant because it was on Primalis, headquarters to Citizen Dawn. I find the idea of wifi and a good local burger joint there dubious at best. I much prefer the amenities offered in Pike Industries/Rook City.

Bowie S, pronounced like David, not like Knife, can be found in Minneapolis and has Monomaniacal Reverse Engineer d10

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

The Citizens of the Sun own a surplus Mobile Defense Platform, right? So you could be cruising around in style, rather than living in a fleabag apartment in Rook City. Sign me up for Citizen Dawn. I feel like she'd care more if I got beat up fighting do-gooders, too.

"To such simple minds, my advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic!"

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

If I worked for either, I'd secretly be trying to sabotage them from the inside.  Then I would get strung up and killed, or barely escape with my life and be on the run forever, or be saved by the good guys.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I agree with Matchstickman in that working for Citizen Dawn means I have superpowers and at least one partner in crime always.   I don't really need insurance when Citizen Dawn can just raise me from the dead.   

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

Yeah return with the dawn seems like a pretty potent health plan to me. And i ike a smaller tighter knitted group better thugs feel quite disposable...

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Matchstickman wrote:

Citizen Dawn.The only way to get in her employ is to have superpowers, so working with her means I must have superpowers, right? EDIT: Also, I'd be paired up with someone else to make some sort of themed team, oh the fun of coming up with our name!

Well your obvious teammate would be me, since we're the same person. Citizens Leaf and Stick?

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I have not seen a single bar or liquor store on Insula Primalis, and while super powers and Dinosaurs sounds awesome, I'll take Pizza and a Martini or Taco's and tequila.

Sign me up for the lowest level bookkeeping job in the Organization.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Citizens of the Sun, because dinosaurs.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I have kids I dont' want growing up in Overbrook. Citizens of the Sun it is.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

New day, new question. Although, you can always answer a previous day's question.

Let's say all the heroes have to stop heroing and live a normal life. What three heroes will have the easiest time adjusting to a normal, non-heroing life, and which three heroes will have the hardest time. Why?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Easiest:

• Mr. Fixer has already quit and gone back to a normal life once, and could become an auto mechanic again. (Unless maybe being dead makes that difficult.)
  • I'm sure Tachyon would love to go back to curing cancer.
  • Maybe Bunker?
Powerhound_2000

Hardest:

Aboslute Zero - He needs that suit to function and for a time isolated himself in the Cryo Chamber.  He has no family to go back to which is even more evident from the bio in Sentinel Tactics when given the choice to lead his own life.   

Guise - If he can't be the hero or in the spotlight what's the point really?

The Naturalist - He is assumed dead and after what he's has been though I think his best bet is to just live in the wilderness.  If his promo card is any indication he would have to almost live outside of most civilization to go unnoticed.  

Easiest:

Tachyon - She was a brilliant scientist before hand and could easily go back to doing research.  

Haka - As seen by the Eternal Haka he can give up being a hero and just continue watching from the sidelines.  It is hard to say in his lifetime what all he has done and while he might stand out I'm sure he has had periods where he isn't being a hero.

Argent Adept - He could just become a musician.

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Bowie
Bowie's picture
Playtester

Damn you, DPT, for taking most of my answer (Bunker'd have a terrible time, though, speaking as someone who tried to go civilian from military service...). Let me see, the next three easiest:

They all have about the same reasoning.
Parse - She only pitched in at request. Parse's enhanced faculties will do just fine at trying to save the world in a traditional, genius-way with little issue.
Unity - It would not be hard to refocus her robotics skills into cybernetics, bionics and AI development, allowing for a pretty advanced world and probably considerable wealth and fame, when the threat of the world isn't restricting her to reactive heroing.
Omnitron X - Due to Omni's connectivity, I suspect it'd prove little consequence to adapt to the current technological world and find a way to be productive without punching things and being punched. The three of them could solve most of the world together as science-heroes instead of super-heroes. Add Tachyon in for flavor and we're good.

Hardest:
Tempest - Between Temp's almost-certain PTSD and alien nature and society's lack of acceptance of 'otherhood', going from hero to normal would be nearly impossible for an alien survivor who was almost captured by this government. The lack of 'purpose' perceivable, the difference in minutiae of society when forced to fully embrace it, and his alienation from standard society would be almost insurmountable.
Sky-Scraper - For many of the same reasons as Tempest, she is an alien here and without the purpose of being a warrior and her clear 'deformity' compared to mainline humans, she'd have a tough time fitting in and living 'normal'.
Chrono-Ranger - It's not "heroing" that would prove the hardest to drop, it's just the "normal life" thing that'd be hard to start. While he's good at playing the game of time-traveler, the cognitive disconnect of society would become a huge issue if he was forced to truly confront it and try to make a living wage. I expect he'd do fairly well as a bounty hunter, but his entire life has been disrupted. It couldn't be hard to try to ignore that dissonance.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Another hard one would be Ex-Patriette. She's really scarred by her experiences fighting against her mother, and would have a lot of trouble fitting in as a civilian.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Easiest

• Tachyon, speed just helps her do science faster, I'm sure she could cope without it
  • Blake Washington, I think not being Ra during the day would be a great relief
  • The Scholar, he'd just kick back and relax

Hardest

• The Wraith, how do you stop being Batman?
  • Mr Fixer, I think he'd drop out for a while but be (inevitably) drawn back into conflict
  • Legacy, giving up for his family's sake? I can see that. Enforced absence, I can't see him doing that

Honolulu Blue

Let's say all the heroes have to stop heroing and live a normal life. What three heroes will have the easiest time adjusting to a normal, non-heroing life, and which three heroes will have the hardest time. Why?

I can't think of three in each category.  I think Tachyon would have an easy time, for reasons mentioned elsewhere.

dpt wrote:

Another hard one would be Ex-Patriette. She's really scarred by her experiences fighting against her mother, and would have a lot of trouble fitting in as a civilian.

I actually think Expatriette would also have an easy time, especially in the USA.  I think her love of guns (and other weapons) is greater than her hatred of mommy.  This would make her a valuable part of any number of places as a sniper, an assassin, a mercenary, or even a common soldier.  Her biggest problem, it seems, would be not to fire at everything all the time.

On the hard side, I go with Tempest,  Society at large is really suspicious of aliens, in both meanings of the word.  If he/she/it weren't a superhero, I can imagine him not being treated very well.

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

I actually think Legacy would have an easy time, sorta like how Peter Parker's fine as a retired superhero in MC2. He has a normal, at-home family life already and I can see him retiring to pass the torch to his daughter eventually.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

New question!

Based on story and theme, not difficulty, which SotM villain would you consider your nemesis? Why?

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

La Capitan, because Siege-Breaker.

carnilius
Playtester

Miss Information, because I identify most with Parse and being the only one who knew she was secretly evil would be tough!

Powerhound_2000

The Chairman as he makes the city unsafe and corrupt at a street level.  

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I'm actually answering this question in reverse: as an atheist, Fanatic would be my nemesis early in her run. By the time we get PW Fanatic, maybe not.

cmschex
Playtester

The Matriarch, because the only thing I hate more than birds are wannabe Goth posers (also, Poe is super overrated)

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

The Chairman he is extremely organized and efficient makes my chaotic nature quake in its boots sometimes.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Wager Master.  Lose before your first turn?  No, thanks!  Although, if I played against him more, I'd get used to him, I guess.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

jffdougan wrote:

I'm actually answering this question in reverse: as an atheist, Fanatic would be my nemesis early in her run. By the time we get PW Fanatic, maybe not.

As a person who studies the history of theology, wouldn't A'kash Bhuta, or Gloomweaver fit better than Fanatic?

As for my nemesis I have to go with Spite.  Hugs not Drugs dude.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I hate so many of the villains, it's hard to pick just one. Possibly Voss. That guy is a dick, going around enslaving entire planets.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Wager Master. It changes the laws of mathematics!

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

phantaskippy wrote:

jffdougan wrote:

As a person who studies the history of theology, wouldn't A'kash Bhuta, or Gloomweaver fit better than Fanatic?As for my nemesis I have to go with Spite.  Hugs not Drugs dude.

Maybe. But, I was viewing it through the lens of her unwavering belief in the existence of a god and in her own rightness. The latter sometimes hits too close to home for comfort, especially as coming out of this particular closet to my parents will probably cause an irreparable rift.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

jffdougan wrote:

Maybe. But, I was viewing it through the lens of her unwavering belief in the existence of a god and in her own rightness. The latter sometimes hits too close to home for comfort, especially as coming out of this particular closet to my parents will probably cause an irreparable rift.

Can understand, having different beliefs than your group can be really hard 

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

New question! As always, you can answer a previous question too!

Which superhero team would you prefer to join: The Freedom Five, The Prime Wardens, or The Dark Watch? Why?

Powerhound_2000

Prime Wardens as their conflicts seem to include threats to Earth and the Galaxy.

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

Prime Wardens save the world from high magnitude threats with a kindergarten teacher sounds too epic. Having AA on cocktail duty with Cap Cosmic making construct couches to party on the go.

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Freedom Five -- they've got the coolest clubhouse.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Pydro wrote:

New question!  Based on story and theme, not difficulty, which SotM villain would you consider your nemesis? Why?

I... really have no idea, none of them seem directly opposed to anything I give a damn about (which isn't much). Perhaps that cueball headed villain just because they seem to be giving games and gaming a bad name?

Pydro wrote:

New question! As always, you can answer a previous question too! Which superhero team would you prefer to join: The Freedom Five, The Prime Wardens, or The Dark Watch? Why?

Dark Watch. I don't need to change my wardrobe and a lot of their fighting seems to be at night, I prefer the cold windswept streets of a dark city to a brightly lit metropolis or some countryside miles from anywhere.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Dark Watch.  Two of my favorite characters are on the team (Mr. Fixer, Setback).  My other favorite characters aren't on a team (Omnitron-X, Sky-Scraper).

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Probably the Freedom five. I'm not sure I want to be on a team with Fanatic (though I CERTAINLY don't want to be on a team opposing her). I'm also not sure I want to be on a team with Setback.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

arenson9 wrote:

I'm also not sure I want to be on a team with Setback. 

Now I'm curious why. I mean, you know my luck, but you hang out with me... wink

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Pulseglazer
Playtester

Freedom Five would let me keep my day job. Wardens I'd be off in space too much, and I need sleep so no Dark Watch. Though to just hang with a team? Def DW. I'm scared of Fanatic and no one on the FF seems fun (well, at least Unity is and would be around).

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Freedom Five - I'd love to work with Dr. Stinson and see if she could make me like/love research again.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Prime Wardens. I love magic, and their team is the most immersed in magic.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Prime Wardens, because nature and magic :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Hanging out with Haka, Tempest, Adept, has to be a great time.  An alien, a bartender, and a Kindergarten teaching immortal warrior.  Has to be a great time.

Plus fighting alongside them would be awesome.

Dark Watch is a close second, 2 of my 3 favorite characters with Expat and Fixer, but they wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

phantaskippy wrote:
Dark Watch is a close second, 2 of my 3 favorite characters with Expat and Fixer, but they wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

Come on! Just watching Setback trying to get through the day has got to be the most fun you can have!

Bunston
Bunston's picture
Playtester

Definetly the Freedom Five. Goofing off with their intern, Unity, would just be so much fun.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Today's question of the day is

Oh no! Pydro has been kidnapped by some villain and can't post today's QotD, who was it and how did you deduce this?

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Matchstickman wrote:

Today's question of the day is Oh no! Pydro has been kidnapped by some villain and can't post today's QotD, who was it and how did you deduce this?

IT WAS ME!! MWAH HA HA HA!

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Pages