The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

SotM Event #20: March Madness

124 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
SotM Event #20: March Madness

Since it's now March, let's have an SotM March Madness Tournament. For these tournament, you are going to vote for which hero or villain would win in a fight.

There are two main conferences, heroes and villains, and each conference will have 32 characters. The villains aren't just the character but the entire villain deck. The Chairman has the Operative, Omnitron has some devices etc.

There are three main parts to this event:

Seeding

The first part is too select which characters actually make it to the tournament. Here you will select which 15 heroes and which 15 villains you want fighting. For the heroes, only 32 characters with the highest percentage of votes will be in the tournament, and they will be seeded based on the number of votes. However, since there are exactly 32 villains, the voting will only determine the seeding.

You can start voting now. (No longer available)

Seeding ends next week, so people can come back from the cons.

Rounds

For each of the rounds, you will vote on which of two characters you want to win the fight. The winner will move on, and the loser is gone. This will continue until we get a single hero champion and a single villain champion.

FInal Match

The final match will determine which conference wins the event. It will be the final villain vs the final four heroes. Players will then play the game (more info be come then), and report the results. Whoever has more wins is crowned Multiverse Champion.

If a Seninel member is in the Final Four, the entire Sentinel team will be used in the final match.

If a V5 member makes it to the end, Other V5 members will be added based on how far they came and seeding.

If there are two of the same decks in the Final Four, The one that went farther, or has a higher seed if tied, will be selected, and the highest seed from the previous round (that isn't that deck) will be added.

For the final match (round 6), you will play the game at Insula Primas (Dawn's home turf), and select a difficulty:

Normal

Advance

Challenge

Advance Challenge

The difficulty determines the number of points either the heroes or Dawn gets based on the outcome. The first side to 100 points, wins.

Challenge Mode for Citizen Dawn:

“Solar Retribution” Citizen Dawn retaliates when her Citizens are defeated. • Whenever a Citizen card is destroyed, Citizen Dawn deals the hero target with the highest HP 3 fire damage.

You can find the other Challenge Modes here.

Links

Bracket

Seeding Form (No longer available)

Round 1 Form (No longer available)

Round 2 Form (No longer available)

Round 3 Form (No longer available)

Round 4 Form (No longer available)

Round 5 Form (No longer available)

Round 6 Form

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Did you know that you have Omnitron-X in both Hero and Villain sections?

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Maybe he knows something we don't. . .

Can we get a limited write-up for each villain or hero, for each matchup, like a 100 word limit on why that hero would win?

We could have people take characters at the start and write up a new one each round if that is desired.

Either way I'm looking forward to it.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ronway wrote:

Did you know that you have Omnitron-X in both Hero and Villain sections?

Nope, but now I do. Thanks!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Guise FTW!

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

phantaskippy wrote:

Maybe he knows something we don't. . . Can we get a limited write-up for each villain or hero, for each matchup, like a 100 word limit on why that hero would win?We could have people take characters at the start and write up a new one each round if that is desired.Either way I'm looking forward to it.

Honestly, I really wanted to do something like that, but wasn't sure the best approach. I am open to ideas.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yes, I know the spreadsheet is messed up, because of how forms are submitted. Fixing that now.

EDIT: Fixed.

Powerhound_2000

How many times are you allowed to vote?   I assume we are meant to only vote once.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

That was the plan.

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

For those who aren't playtesters, how are we to determine if the new promos heroes' incapped powers make a difference at all?

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

We don't know them either.

So I determine it by throwing jam sandwiches at the wall, if it sticks then the Incaps are game changing, if not they are merely Awesome.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Killswitch wrote:

For those who aren't playtesters, how are we to determine if the new promos heroes' incapped powers make a difference at all?

Just assume they are the same as the normal version. Same thing if we have to play them in the final match.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Matchstickman wrote:

We don't know them either.So I determine it by throwing jam sandwiches at the wall, if it sticks then the Incaps are game changing, if not they are merely Awesome.

Are the sandwiches jam side up or jam side down?

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

Matchstickman wrote:

We don't know them either.So I determine it by throwing jam sandwiches at the wall, if it sticks then the Incaps are game changing, if not they are merely Awesome.

I attached a slice of bread to a cat, butter side up. I dropped the cat, and am now watching it spin. If it lands on its feet, it's OP. If not, it's meh.

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Are we basing it on the strength of the deck or the lore or a combination? The chairman is one of the hardest decks but low "strength" lore wise and is middle of the pack in the current rankings, which is oddly appropriate given what I just said

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Completely up to you how you decide who to vote for. However, the villain decks do get their deck. So, it's not just Dawn, but also the other citizens.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

You might want to mess with the bracket organization so the number 1 seed doesn't fight the number 2 in the second round. Just a thought. 

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hmmm...might be worth looking at, and very easy to change.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

The way you have it now, Legacy will make it to the final four, none of the other top seeds, or the very low seeds will make it. This bracket favors being in the middle, seeds 9-25

Powerhound_2000

The bracket isn't set yet.  The order will change based on the voting.  

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

I know, but Legacy will likely take first seed and will probably win the whole thing. The point is still valid; this bracket favors the middle numbers getting to the final four. Only 1 character rated above 5 will make it

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I just shook things up.

Is there a way to bet on who would win that makes sense, since your vote determines the winner?

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

You could do it the way actual brackets do and have people make picks on the final state, and score points based on how close they are. It would be a little biased, meaning money wouldn't be good but if people just voted who they thought would win, rather than who benefits them more, it would likely be pretty fair, because you can't control the way other people vote

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Humble-Knight wrote:
because you can't control the way other people vote

Ummm......I am from Chicago.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Pydro wrote:

Humble-Knight wrote:
because you can't control the way other people vote

Ummm......I am from Chicago.

So maybe you can... wink
phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

one way to do it is have each half reset the seeding after each round, so that the highest ranked survivor fights the lowest ranked survivor from their side, and so on.

That sucks in real sports, but is a game like this it makes sense.

I think we could get writers to write a word limited argument for their character pretty quick.

If we give a decent amount of time for each round voting they could have 24 hours to write one up.

I could so a bunch myself, I just don't know where we would put the writeups without investing more time.

I also think it would be cool to do one without any overlap and mix villains and heroes together throughout.

Mainly for things like Baron Blade we know can beat Legacy 1v1.  He would have killed him if he had gone to Mars, but versus other heroes he isn't going to fare as well.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

eh, I think where it is now is fairly good. Most of the fights are not going to be easy to guess ahead of time, and if pydro doesn't include the rankings in the actual voting forms I think it will be pretty fair and hard to guess ahead of time

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

How about this for the story portion: each person who wants to write the matches will be given a portion of the bracket. When their portion meets someone else's, whoever's character wins that match gets to continue. So, if there are 4 people, we would have the top/bottom of the heroes/villains. When the two halves meet, for a game, the winner gets to keep writing.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I just realized my formula had a little mistake with promos. For example Legacy was counting all Legacy's even if it was a promo. I fixed it, but the seeding changed drastically, in case you have been following it.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Yeah it jumped around, and I was confused because Legacy dropped like 4 spots, Captain cosmic rose 3 spots and Vanilla Tachyon dropped about 30. Then again I was a bit surprised Tachyon was that high to begin with

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

I would be interested in doing write-ups! I'd do whatever's available, but the villains would be more fun.

"To such simple minds, my advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic!"

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

So, I am thinking we will start this in a couple of days. Any more thoughts on placing bets? Anyone interested? Full bracket (is there an easy way to do this)? Just Final Four?

redlife0006
Playtester

I don't know how to do it, because I'm not computer savvy beyond basic word and excell and such, but I know that for things like the actual March Madness and ATP Tournaments and things like that, they do a fillable bracket once the matches are set.  So, each of us would go through and fill in the entire bracket, picking winners for each matchup, and each consecutive round scores more points.  For each match guessed correctly in the round of 32, you get a point.  The round of 16, 2 points, and so on to the championship, which is 5 points.  Its not really "betting" per se, but it does provide a way to keep track of who can guess the entire bracket correctly, so I suppose it could be turned into betting of some sort.  But like I said, I wouldn't know myself how to create something like that.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

It shouldn't be too hard if people want to print out my bracket, or even copy the sheet into their own Google sheet and fill it out. However, anything beyond the honor system mughy be too much work.

redlife0006
Playtester

I suppose that is true, yeah. That would probably be more of a for-fun thing to do while this is going on.

Thalanthalas

Another one of our friends here on campus voted and I think is getting an account on here to post and stuff. So the 4 of us at least can do this among  ourselves.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I would like to stop the seeding round tonight, unless someone has an objection. I would like to have a day or two where the characters are set, before starting the first round of voting. This can allow people who want to make their own prediction to do so before the first round, and get the storytellers setup for their section.

Current Story-Tellers (there is still time to get setup):

phantaskippy

metlarcturus

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

OK, seeding is now done! Voting for the first round will start in a day or two. If you want to make a full bracket or just a Final Four prediction now is the time.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Round 1 hasn't started yet, but I want to check my setup. Can some people, please, use this form to see if everything works. If it does, the numbers next the the characters should change immediately (and make sense). I will delete all data before the round actually starts.

Powerhound_2000

I submitted a response.  I only see it show up on the Round 1 Form tab of the Bracket sheet but the numbers besides the characters still list #DiV/0 even after refreshing a few times. 

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Trying to fix it, thanks!

EDIT: Ok, if I can get a few more reposnes that would be great!

Powerhound_2000

Different people or can I just submit more responses?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

You can do it. Thanks!

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

I put it in and it seemed to work

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I think I got it, thanks everyone. EDIT: I disabled the form, I will re-enable it when the round starts.

In case anyone is curious, or has a similar issue later, here is the problem: For whatever reason, when a form adds data to a sheet, it doesn't add it into the row, but actually adds another row with the data. This then moves all the formulas up one, which makes it really annoying to mess with the form data. Usually, I tr to first copy it somewhere else before manipulating it, but it kept giving me the same problem. To get around it, I included the header row into my formula, then made the necessary adjustments for adding the header row. This should hopefully prevent it from changing the formula.

Powerhound_2000

I submitted another entry and then got blocked by the time I tried to do a second one.  Edit: I understand why now per your post. 

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sorry about that, I disabled it until the round starts. I think I got it fixed, thanks!

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

Battle Commentary! Villains, part 1/4

Citizen Dawn v. Kismet

Citizen Dawn: A natural leader with an array of powerful light-based abilities, Dawn badly outnumbers and outguns Kismet. Even without her battalion of Citizens, Dawn’s sheer firepower could obliterate Gabrielle without difficulty. If it comes to blows, Dawn’s already won.

Kismet: The clear underdog, Kismet has to play it smart to stand a chance. Her ability to shape outcomes and probabilities, the extent of which is unknown, can turn Dawn’s Citizen allies into obstacles or even opponents; Kismet loves a crowd of enemies. Even Dawn herself has weaknesses to take advantage of: her pride, her inflexibility, her concern for her Citizens. The odds are against Gabrielle, but that’s never bothered her before.

La Capitan v. Proletariat

La Capitan: With a fearless crew, futuristic weapons, and a time-travelling ship, Maria Helena has the technological edge in this fight. Her unconventional tactics threaten to put Aleksandr badly off-balance, and her time-displaced crew can keep plenty of clones busy. Can she keep him guessing long enough to wear down the will of the Everyman?

Proletariat: This free-booting pirate captain is anathema to the Proletariat. Caring only for adventure and plunder, Maria Helena lacks the discipline and focus that Aleksandr’s personal crusade against oppression gives him. With the two sides roughly matched, power for power, this battle comes down to endurance. Proletariat has nothing worth plundering; how long will the battle keep La Capitan’s interest?

Matriarch v. Baron Blade

Matriarch: Lilian Corvus commands virtually endless hordes of disposable minions, reinforced by the mystic power of her mask and the bolstering presence of Odin’s ravens. Though she can be petty and distractible and lacks the leadership experience of the Baron, the Matriarch and her avian spies have unparalleled battlefield intelligence, seeing everything that goes on around her. With a victory against Blade, Lilian will finally have the fear and respect she deserves.

Baron Blade: Although his Blade minions may be vulnerable to the Matriarch’s swarm tactics, the Baron himself will prove a more difficult target. A genius in weapons design, Ivan also has the experience and killer instinct that Lilian lacks. If he can neutralize her numerical advantage with technology and his own army of minions and battle the Matriarch face-to-face, Baron Blade is almost assured a victory. If.

Skinwalker Gloomweaver v. Vengeful Five Baron Blade

Skinwalker: While the dark god is trapped in the body of Spite, Gloomweaver and his faithful cultists will face an uphill battle against the cutting-edge tech and powerful allies that Blade can bring to bear. However, once the vessel is broken and the Rotting God emerges, the balance will swing in Gloomweaver’s favor. If Blade can’t gain an insurmountable advantage before that happens, he will almost certainly fall before the all-devouring evil.

Vengeance Blade: Boosted by genetic enhancements to superhuman levels, Baron Blade can easily fight toe-to-toe with the Skinwalker while his gadgets make short work of the god’s human cultists. Against the sheer eldritch power of Gloomweaver unchained, however, Blade’s trinkets pale in comparison. But the Baron’s will is strong, and with the aid of Zhu Long, who knows the mystic secrets of life and death, Blade might just stand a chance.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Heroes matchup 1/2.

Ra vs SS Tachyon

Ra enters with confidence, while Tachyon is a force in combat, science doesn't frighten the God of the sun.  Whatever experiments she can cook up, the option of more fire is usually the right one.  

Tachyon knows the odds are against her, but she's solved tougher equations than this one, if only she can find the right ingredients. . .

Omnitron X vs Setback

Pete couldn't wait for the match to start.  The tournament didn't sound that great, but robots were cool, and time travel was really cool, besides, what's the worst that could happen?  

Humans were not easy for Omnitron to figure out, but this human violated standard probability calculations by several standard deviations.  This contest would yield interesting data, and Omnitron calculated that extending his involvement in the tournament would improve his ability to function alongside his human allies.

Sky_scraper vs TL Tachyon

The velocity of one avian beast is no match for the mighty coconut.

This was it.  She had taken over, rebuilt the Freedom V, traded her life's work for the mantle of leadership.  But if she was going to lead her team to victory over her former friend, she had to know if she could stand against him.  She would not fail, she would face Paul and prove to her team that they could win.

Nightmist vs PW Argent Adept

Nightmist put down her book.  His instruments had no power, they were just instruments.  She laughed.  "Have fun playing in the fog bartender."

This wasn't going to be easy.  His magic was great vs giant monstrosities and physical force, but here, with no allies to help him, it would a tough fight.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I really enjoyed those. This is going to be fun.

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

Battle Commentary! Villains, part 2/4

Iron Legacy v. Miss Information

“We’ve known each other for so long, Paul.” Aminia Twain took a few steps toward the throne-like chair in which Paul Parsons sat brooding. “Are you sure you don’t want to tell me what’s wrong?” Those “vigilantes” I threw his way didn’t even faze him!

America’s Final Legacy looked out over the darkened city. There was something out there that threatened the iron order he had so painstakingly imposed. He could feel it. Something… was wrong.

Twain slowly reached into her pocket for the Regression Serum dart she had salvaged from Baron Blade’s ruined lab. She smiled. “Don’t you trust me, Paul?”

Deadline v. Ambuscade

Deadline: It would be difficult to find two villains with more different outlooks and objectives. Deadline operates on the planetary scale, spawning natural disasters and laying waste to entire landscapes with high technology and ancient relics. If forced to confront Ambuscade on the ground in open combat, Tarogath might be hard-pressed, but Deadline has much higher priorities than humoring a psychotic hunter.

Ambuscade: Ahh, now ‘ere is a tough one. Flying around in ‘is spaceship, causing earthquakes and volcanos. But Ambuscade knows, ‘e must land to use ‘is leetle gem. And when ‘e does, Ambuscade will be waiting there for ‘im. Let the planet burn. There are other hunting grounds.

Cosmic Omnitron v. The Dreamer

Cosmitron: “DREAM PROJECTIONS” REPRESENT SIGNIFICANT THREAT.
UTILIZE LETHAL FORCE TO NEUTRALIZE SOURCE OF PROJECTIONS.
SCANNING SUBJECT VANESSA LONG FOR SIGNIFICANT PHYSICAL ENHANCEMENTS.
NONE FOUND.
CALCULATING.
PROJECTED PERCENTAGE OF VICTORY: 96.34%
DEPLOY DISINTEGRATION BEAM.

The Dreamer…
May the merciful gods, if indeed there be such, guard those hours when no power of the will, or drug that the cunning of man devises, can keep me from the chasm of sleep. Death is merciful, for there is no return therefrom, but with him who has come back out of the nethermost chambers of night, haggard and knowing, peace rests nevermore.
-H.P. Lovecraft, Hypnos

Apostate v. Spite: Agent of Gloom

Apostate: Now there was a day when the Fallen One came to present himself before the Nightmare Walker. And the Demon-God said unto Bezaliel, “Hast thou considered my servant Jack, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and a vile killer, one that feareth me, and escheweth no evil?” Then Bezaliel answered the Rotting God, and said, “Doth Jack fear Gloomweaver for nought? Hast not thou made a hedge about him, and about all that he hath on every side? Thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his infamy is increased in the land. But I shall put forth my hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face.”

Spite: The boss wants me to whack some pretty-boy angel, then that’s what’s going to happen. Sure, he’s got his precious little toys and his fire-and-brimstone sermonizing, but it’ll take more than that. I’ve faced the worst that death and hell have to offer; this goth wannabe may talk about “the wrath of god,” but he doesn’t know wrath until he’s shoved a broken bottle so far into someone’s eye that it tickles the back of their skull. The boss and me—we’re the future. This joker and his little demon pals? They’re ancient history.

Pages