The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

SotM Event #13: Villain Beatdown - Part 3

63 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
SotM Event #13: Villain Beatdown - Part 3

The last event went great, but it took just 2 months. I figured something a bit smaller would be better this time. So, we have another "Villain Beatdown." Our goal is to beat as many villains as we can, and score points based on their difficulty. The event will only last next weekend. Here are the rules:

• Pick any team of heroes you want, even some non-official ones, as long as they are balanced.
  • If you beat a villain, we score points based on the difficulty of that villain. Simply write your name in the column underneath that villain.
  • If you play on advanced, you get double the amount of points. Simply write your name twice underneath the villain.
  • If you play against the V5, your difficulty will equal the highest difficulty of a villain present in the game. In other words, if Baron Blade or Fright Train is in the game, you get 3 points, if not, 2. This was the only way I could think of to handle the V5, if somebody has a better idea, please say so.
  • If you are playing against a non-standard villain, simply put your name underneath the "Other" title (at the end of the sheet) with the corrosponding difficuly. So, if you played with a homemade villain that is difficulty 2, simply put your name under "Other" with the 2 difficulty. Please only use villains that are balanced.
  • The event will last from Friday, July 18, 12:00PM CDT - Monday, July, 21, 12:00PM CDT. This should cover everyone's weekend. If not, simply suggest a new time.

Here is the document.

If anybody has any suggestions or advice, please speak up. Let's see if we can beat our score from last time!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I hope everyone is ready to play SotM this weekend, because there has been a new twist on this event. If we get at least 300 points, GtG will reveal some Wrath of the Cosmos information. If we blow that score out of the water, even more information will be revealed.

Let's take down some villains!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

IT

IS

ON.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Pydro wrote:

I hope everyone is ready to play SotM this weekend, because there has been a new twist on this event. If we get at least 300 points, GtG will reveal some Wrath of the Cosmos information. If we blow that score out of the water, even more information will be revealed.Let's take down some villains!

Great, now I have to decide between playtesting or helping reveal information...

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Correct me if I'm wrong, Pydro, but you COULD playtest and just use the "Other" columns, right?

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bas

Or you combine it with a lot of censorship, part of which can be revealed by GtG when we blow the score out of the water wink

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Oh man.  There are not enough hours in the weekend.

I need to get a lot of work done this week.

LevelUpLeo
LevelUpLeo's picture

Question: I am assuming solo games count?

Question 2: If a game is played with another member of the forum, can both of them put their name for one game?

Rabk
Rabk's picture
Playtester

Can I make a suggestion that, in the spirit of good sportsmanship, we agree that nobody repeatedly beats up the same villain to spam points? My wife pointed out that someone could assemble an ideal team and just spam Advanced Gloomy for a solid (and super easy) ~10(?) points per hour. That feels against the spirit of the game to me (and sounds like no fun at all). no

...yeah, me too.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I just realized that I am busy when the events starts. Therefore, I am expecting someone (ok, everyone) to start the event strong with lots of fanfare. Good luck, everyone!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

LevelUpLeo wrote:

Question: I am assuming solo games count?

Yes.

LevelUpLeo wrote:

Question 2: If a game is played with another member of the forum, can both of them put their name for one game?

I will be honest, I am a little torn about this one. The idea is to see how many times each villain can be beaten, regardless of who is playing. If you were to put down a game for each person, an advance Gloomy game with 5 people gets 30 points. I can see this being a problem.

On the other hand, if you can't put down multiple names, then we are encouraging people to play solo games, and I am not sure if that is the right approach either.

In other words, I don't know. If anyone has an idea, please speak up.

Bas

In my opinion, since this event is all about the villain, it should count as one game / villain.

Furthermore, I wouldn't worry about encouraging solo-games, as games with multiple people are simply more fun. smiley

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

If its one game, you shouldn't score more points just because there were more forum members in the game. 1 set of points per game. That makes the most sense to me to keep the spirit of the event

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I created a second sheet that grabs all of the different names from the first sheet, and displays their individual stats. Just a heads up, this is case sensitive, so if you write your name different ways, it won't be kept together. Also, try to keep your name as one word. Thanks! Happy Hunting!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Foote wrote:

If its one game, you shouldn't score more points just because there were more forum members in the game. 1 set of points per game. That makes the most sense to me to keep the spirit of the event

I disagree on this one, 2 solo games shouldn't trump a group game.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Psst, it can't be edited yet.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Thanks! Fixed!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Excellent! Now I can get G+ and Ronway added on there!

Edit: Nevermind! I see what it is doing now.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Did I mess something up?

LevelUpLeo
LevelUpLeo's picture

Awesome, I just finished a game against Omnitron for the first point (I believe this has started). I had a diverse team of damage inflictors (Haka, Young Legacy, and Rook City Wraith) and Team Leader Tachyon to keep them drawing cards. After a couple of turns, every component and droid that was sent out was smashed right away, and even with adaptive subroutine, we had melee, energy and projectile damage thrown at him constantly.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Woohoo! It started! I won't be able to fix the sheet until tomorrow night. So, if there is anything wrong, and somebody knows how to fix it, please do.

LevelUpLeo
LevelUpLeo's picture

Just played a quick solo 4 hero game against the Dreamer. Considering Legacy was first and played Inspiring Presence (which along with Galvanize gave every hero +2 on attacks) and Haka (the last in hero order) was lucky enough to get the Taiaha first turn, the projections were easily taken down. Omnitron-X was after Legacy, providing general support (mostly healing and chip damage) followed by Tempest, who mostly healed as not to damage the Dreamer. The Final Wasteland provided some fodder for Omnitron-X's Bio-Engineering Beam, dealt some damage to projects and that's pretty much it. I don't know if I was lucky, if the set up was just that easy (90% according to the randomizer) or if it was both (felt like both), but that was really easy.

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

The TLT-Tempest-Nightmist combo got some tune-up games in.  Baron Blade game was a squeaker for getting him flipped, but once flipped finished up easily.  Omnitron not a big challenge since TLT was able to deal with both EPEs when they came out, plus Nightmist did some deck manipulation work.  Voss went down hard, with Tempest doing great execution.

LevelUpLeo
LevelUpLeo's picture

Man, I finally won against Mad Bomber Blade after trying like 3 times. Wagner Mars Base vs Greatest Legacy, G.I. Bunker and Dark Visionary.

First time I tried on advance. I was just overwhelmed with damage too quickly.

Second time I had a good rhythm going with the base doing Fire/Toxic Damage doing Irriducable damage to Blade (thanks to the G.I. Bunker's basic skill) and Legacy taking all damage from villains, making it Toxic and immune due to Next Evolution and Visionary being able to change the damage type (this also protected Legacy from Oxygen Leak, which protected everyone but Blade from the fires). I don't remember exactly what happened, but I think a backlashfeild activated on Legacy BEFOERE I made him immune. I think if I would have been a little less stupid, I could have won this one.

Third time I added Haka for some extra damage. This was still close, as I could not get ANY of those combos going on again. None the less, first round I had Balde down to 15. By the end of the game most people were at <5 and Legacy was incapacitated, but I squeeked on through.

Bas

Golem Unity, Haka, Dark Visionary and KNYFE were absolutely slaughtered by an Advanced Dreamer that had severe night terrors in Silver Gulch, which itself was loaded with explosive wagons.

After recollecting themselves and approaching the Dreamer more carefully, but after rousing her from her slumber they were again taken down quickly, except for Dark Visionary climbing in her cocoon at 3 hitpoints, who decided to let the citizens of Silver Gulch take on the projections. Using the motivation from her incapacitated teammates to draw cards, she waited patiently to suddenly appear and save the day.

Bolstered by this win, the team then took on a souped-up Baron Blade and Omnitron in Wagner Mars base and Metropolis, respectively. Both of these villains went down relatively smoothly, which gave the team the confidence to take on the ethereal form of Gloomweaver (advanced) in the ruins of Atlantis. This went smoothly, thanks to Unity and KNYFE wailing on Gloomweaver, while Dark Visionary suggested Gloomy to avoid vast followings until Haka was well under way fueling his savage mana with zombies, cultists and pins to finally send Gloomy back to his own realm.

LevelUpLeo
LevelUpLeo's picture

It took me way too long to take down Citizen Dawn. Finall with Team Leader Tachyon, Ra of Two Horizons and America's Greatest Legacy I was table to do it. Krakens took on the Citizens, and I was lucky enough that Dawn double flipped when she did. Ra did most of the heavy lifting in this one honestly, ending up with a hand of 25 or so cards at the end of the game.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Just beat advanced blade with Legs, CR and Wraith in the realm of discord. Went fast with both sides just beating on each other but no one was in danger of dying in the next turn but after that was less certain with CR at 10 HP and a 3 bounty H&H.

Time Flies for the last 2 rounds sped up things tremendously, with CR able to do 22 damage on his turn. 

All in all lucky first draws and a relatively tame villain made this game fairly easy

Azqa
Azqa's picture
Playtester

Mr. Fixer, Chrono-Ranger, K.N.Y.F.E. and the Naturalist encountered an advanced form of Plague Rat in the wilds of Insula Primalis.  Even with two Shadowy Ambushes resulting in three extra card plays, there was an almost disappointing lack of Infections with CR being the only one to start frothing at the mouth (and nearly die.)  Things still only lasted 4 rounds. 

LevelUpLeo
LevelUpLeo's picture

Finally took down Voss. Legacy, Tempest, G.I. Bunker (Irreducable damage MVP!), Rook City Wraith and Dark Visionary (keep that damn forced deployment at bay). Pretty easy, it was mostly all in their base powers honestly. The Insula Primalis actually is what gave me the most trouble.

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Citizen Dawn handled by the TLT Team - including THAT CARD being played twice.  She never flipped.

The team added Chrono-Ranger for a game against The Chairman.  The extra firepower helped, and Toxic Darts were quite helpful in keeping The Operative's retaliation damage in check.

Plague Rat was more of a challenge and the team eventually ended up with both Team Leader Tachyon and Tempest incapacitated.  The latter helped Nightmist appreciably by granting damage immunity to melee, which kept Plague Rat's attacks heavily in check.  From there it was wearing the Rat down and defeating him.

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Game against the Matriarch dragged, and dragged, and dragged.  She flipped, and eventually flipped back.  Her against Nightmist for the most part since TLT and Tempest were incap for most of the fight.  Matriarch beaten down under 10 HP twice and then recovered a pile of points from fowl coming out.  Environment played a role by eventually being a factor in inflicting damage on the Matriarch while Tempest incap protected Nightmist.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

First I beat Advanced Gloomy with Legs, Ra and Wraith, which was interesting if not very difficult. Ra could not find Imbued fire despite having 2/3 his deck in his hand, which meant the powerful setup Wraith and Legacy had was largely wasted, being on minion duty. It was a weird combo of Ra switching between Gloomy and getting rid of the killer minions (including Ronway) who got buffed by triple Entry points covering wraiths arsenal, caspits playground, and Frost's cryo chamber.

Ultimately it ended as most gloomy games do, with all three relics in the trash. I did briefly consider bringing a relic back with training simulator in the last round but ultimately decided that was a bad idea.

The third game I played today was Greatest Legacy, CR, and TLT against the dreamer. I got lucky that I was able to kill the three starting projections by the end of the second round, and none came out during those 2. Legacy did take lots of damage during this time though, and had less than half health by the time she flipped. He was super helpful though, getting more power uses for the other 2, which gave many draws and allowed CR to kill 2 apes before his turn came around, saving the later 2 health.

It became apparent after she flipped that it wasn't a race for the win but instead a race to see if I could win before legacy died. A whipacorn came out as well as another projection in the last round, when she had 5 under her. The whipacorn stunned CR. Legacy played a killer one shot with one  health left, because I forgot that I only needed to kill one of them to win and CR couldn't deal damage. Tachyon killed the whipacorn with a 10 card Light speed, clearing the table, after CR used a grenade to blow up a volcano before it blew up, but doing no damage. A raptor came out on the environment turn which killed legacy, and then I won.

All in all, 2 fun games.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Quick Voss game against Legacy, Tempest and Haka in Freedom Tower. Tempest was a beast; the last 2 rounds he was able to deal at least 30 damage to Voss between all his damage boosts, while killing every minion automatically. The ships were obnoxious and were the only reason the heroes were near single digits at the end. I used a 4 point savage mana to kill the second one, because it was going to hurt if it stuck around.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Did you enter the Voss game into the sheet?

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Gloomy pounded on by the TLT team.  Everyone did their part against the cultists and zombies.  Hypersonic Assaults, Heedless Lashing, plus lots of hailstones flying about.  TLT set Gloomy up for the kill with a 17 point Lightning Barrage.

Need to do a Spite game to finish the Rook City villains, then see about working on the rest of the Infernal Relics crew.

LevelUpLeo
LevelUpLeo's picture

I put together a team to make mincemeat of and Advance Grand Warlord Voss. Tempest, Greatest Legacy, Eternal Haka, Wraith Absolute Zero and Dark Visionary, all on the Mars Base.

Visionary fell pretty quickly, but to my advantage. I used one of her incapacitated abilities to to continuously return Meteorswarm to the top of the environment deck so the villains did no damage, then destroy it once Tempest's turn started. A couple of Dominions in play meant Haka got a couple of cards out of the deal, and Legacy's ability still allowed Tempest to attack.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Pydro wrote:

Did you enter the Voss game into the sheet?

Forgot to last night, it's in now

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

HUmble-knight, I hope you don't mind, but I put a "-" in your name. The space messed up the formula a bit.

DavePel

Looks like Pydro is cleaning up. Wish I wasen't stuck at work. Grumble.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Sadly G+ has been on a string of losses, so haven't been able to contribute nearly as much as we would like to have.

DavePel

Smoke Blade a few times with the Freedom Five, get your Heroes confidence back up and dummy some 1 points :)

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

We have about a third of the time left, and we only need about a third of the points more. So, we are on track to finish this thing.

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Team TLT squished Spite via the usual tactics; build up and then try to stomp him quick once he flipped.  Helped that there were *7* cards under the Safe House at that time.  Only one card breaking them out and the heroes got them all back under right before the 5th drug flipped.  Nightmist sat in Mist-mode for a while in the early game just drawing cards.  TLT stacked up in order to start doing Hypersonic Assault combos (first attack to be blocked by Spite drug to allow the Hypersonic to get through.)  Tempest rolled out cards and then just did Cleansing Rain each turn until the flip - and then started tossing Lightning Slashes and Grevious Hailstorm reinforced by the Shackles.

Also got two two-player games in  (marked as Oaktree+). 

Greatest Legacy, Argent Adept, Tempest: Freedom and The Sentinels beating up The Ennead.  Heroes just wore them down and The Sentinels got a lot of extra power play due to Greatest Legacy or the Adept.

Other game was Nightmist, Absolute Zero: Elemental Wrath, Chrono-Ranger and Ra verses Apostate.  Apostate rolled out relics, relics, and more relics.  Got to the point we simply stopped attacking them and concentrated all attacks on Apostate (who was not getting much support from his cards.)  The game became flipping Apostate back and forth in order to destroy the relics.  And then timing a set of attacks to take out the last two weakened relics followed by Apostate himself.  Chrono-Ranger and Absolute Zero were incap by that point.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

I got some games to upload once I'm not mobile. Quite a few advanced matches too!

Bas

Golem Unity, Freedom Wraith, Dark Visionary and Redeemer Fanatic showed Akash'Bhuta who's the boss in a lengthy catfight at the Tomb of Anubis. With DV controlling the first half of AB's game to be a continuous flow of brambles and carapaces, FW got her utility belt with computer-controlled knifes up and running quickly to mow them down at a decent pace. Meanwhile RF focused her attention on controlling the leftover and the environment, while GU was a bit rusty. Towards the end of a long battle, GU suddenly had a team of raptor bots dealing loads of damage and the game ended only moments after DV mind-spiked Fanatic to prompt her wrathful retribution, after which AB fell into a spike trap and was defeated.

much0gust0
much0gust0's picture
Playtester

Phew! Plague Rat had us up against a cactus in Silver Gulch, but we eventually widdled him down thanks to Omnitron-X's ridiculously helpful Ablative Coating. Two Heroes down and two at 1 HP, but O-X got in the final shot to make Plague Rat crawl back from 'when' he came. Close call...two points!

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Team TLT went on a roll.

Akash'Bhuta went down fairly easily.  Limbs came out in a pattern that let the heroes build up a bit.  And then destroy them in bunches without taking a lot of damage.

The Dreamer was next.  Had five projections in play early on, put they got whittled down; plus one Hypersonic Assault by Tachyon to keep them quelled for a round.  And The Dreamer's deck was Mistbound as she flipped, which allowed the heroes to get some healing from Tempest and a few cards out.  Double Whipacorns were annoying, but they didn't last long and the game ended soon afterwards.  (Non-advanced Dreamer is probably easiest with three heroes.)

Went to Iron Legacy next expecting a struggle.  Match went four rounds with the heroes triumphant.  A 1st round Planar Banishment stripped most of Iron Legacy's starting on-goings, and the heroes had cards for dealing with any that followed.  Tachyon never got a Hypersonic Assault card, but she played out multiple burst cards per round and had a 7 pt Lightning Barrage ready by the later rounds.  Nightmist had the Amulet out and was redirecting damage back to Legacy as well.  Plus a solid Oblivion shot in the last round (3/4 and she redirected her portion of the damage).  Tempest was pounding away with Lightning Slashes, and nemesis bonus was getting some Squall damage past Iron Legacy's flip-side DR.

(Going to see if I can at least finish out the Shattered Timelines villains.)

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Done for the evening (and probably the event.)

Team TLT took down Kismet without undue difficulty.  Their ability to destroy on-going (or environment) cards is useful, especially for nailing Jinx cards and Lady Luck or Inconceivable Obstruction when they turn up.  (Which both did.)

La Capitan was next, and was annoying as usual.  The ship came back out, and most of the crew recycled back out as well.  However, her theft cards never did, and the equipment/ongoing cards popped up early when there was nothing to steal.  So it was a game where she never flipped, just kept peppering away and bringing out more crew.   Star of the game was Nightmist; she tanked quite a bit of damage and also pounded the crew with Oblivion repeatedly.  Tempest got the Gene-bound Shackles out and did a lot of damage to La Capitan as well.

Last game was a run at Advanced Ambuscade.  Some initial difficulties getting past some early equipment, plus a Reactive Shield that came out.  However, once the heroes got some damage capability and cards built up they started mangling equipment and once again the Shackles made life rough on Ambuscade once he could be targeted.

Overall, at least in non-advanced games I'd consider the TLT, Tempest, Nightmist team pretty powerful.  They sometimes need a bit of time to get damage capability established, and DR can cause some concerns.  However, they have very good capability for handling on-going and environment cards, and flexibility to deal with most threats via Hypersonic Assault, Mistbound, etc.  Nightmist can tank damage, and Tempest can deal out good damage in chunks thanks to Electrical Storm, Grevious Hailstorm, and his one-shots.  If he gets the Gene-bound Shackles out as well he can put a hurting on the high HP villain, which is usually the boss.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Chairman lost badly to The Intergalactic Watch (DW Fixer, DW Expat, [REDACTED], [REDACTED]) when he tried to consolidate control of the Realm of Discord.

We were all low health after a really good match, when Prison break put all underbosses and then their Thugs into play, but some reaction fun saved the day, and The Chairman ended up beating himself unconscious from shenanigans.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

I took on Grand Warlord Voss in Insula Primalis with Freedom Six Tachyon, Rook City Wraith, and Dark Visionary. Between Infrared Eyepiece and Visionary, Voss was on a pretty short leash for most of the game. Visionary even had time to wrest the mind of a T-Rex and turn it against Voss. Three heavy lightspeed barrages set Voss up for a final inventory barrage to put him away.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

much0gust0
much0gust0's picture
Playtester

Success!!! Citizen Dawn and her pathetic little friends stood no chance against our team. They tried to break into the Freedom Tower, but Tempest was on to her little game. Fortunately he was wise enough to bring along Fanatic to destroy EVERYTHING! With a little help (and harm) from Setback, and with the tutelage of Mr. Fixer, she was handily defeated. Her 3 points boosted us to exactly 300! Excited for the new info!

That was a ton of fun, why haven't I done this forum stuff before, haha??

Pages