The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

SCUverse Game 4: Gloomweaver in Rook City

111 posts / 0 new
Last post
jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Oh,  yes... I will discard a duplicate Isothermic Transducer to kill the Toxic Sludge before it can do anything else ugly.

Edwin

Alright, I need to get to bed soon but first I owe you a post.

EXT. NIGHT - ROOK CITY SLUMS

A new exodus of zombies fills the alley, and the heroes are clearly hopelessly outnumbered; they have no choice but to retreat through a manhole into the poisonous maintenance tunnels of the Rook City underground.

Rook City

In Play:  Toxic Sludge.

Trash:  Scum and Villainy x2.

Deck:  ? x 9, Dr. Tremata, Tony Taurus, Scum and Villainy.

--------------------------------------------------------

Start of Turn:  Absolute Zero becomes the official plumber of Rook City for a day.

Play a Card: It's very tempting to choose Twisting Back Alleys so that I can stop here, not bothering to figure out hero HP totals, and see whether you want to remove it by playing two replacement cards (protip: I've done this, it goes less than well as a rule).  But I will avoid the copout and instead put out another Toxic Sludge, even though this one is much less dangerous.

End of Turn: Ryan "Mario" Frost takes 2 damage [4]; everyone else is in such awful shape that they don't even bother holding their noses as they go for yet another sewer swim, figuring it can't get any worse after the day they've had.

-------------------------------------------------------

In Play:  Toxic Sludge

Trash:  Scum and Villainy x2, Toxic Sludge.

Deck:  ? x 7, Dr. Tremata, Tony Taurus, Scum and Villainy, Twisting Back Alleys.

Effects:  At SOET, each player may discard a card.  If at least one card is discarded this way, that player may destroy the only Environment card in play (Toxic Sludge).

INT - ROOK CITY SEWERS

From up above, the mocking voice of the mutton-chopped man echoes, as though he's speaking as loudly as he can manage from the broken heap he was left in.

SCRUFFY CULTIST:  "So, you're trying to escape; you still have hope.  Fortunately, I have the cure for that affliction."

Ignited by the last breath of a dying sorcerer, mystic green flames engulf the heroes and set even the sewers' polluted waters ablaze.  The camera focuses on Legacy as he pushes one smaller hero (possibly a de-suited Bunker) against the wall, taking the brunt of the methane explosion but sparing the one he shields with his own body.  Left with only superficial burns, the survivor escapes the scene of the carnage to call for medical aid - or for other heroes to assist in avenging the fallen.

Round Five

Gloomweaver - Not a Target

In Play: god I don't even know anymore.

Trash:  stuff

Deck:  Profane Zealot, 4 x ?, Pouch of Bones, Strength of the Grave, Vast Following, Sable Pin, Indigo Pin, Vast Following, Grimoire of Curses, Profane Zealot, Vast Following.

--------------------------------------------------------

Start of Turn:  A deceptive silence.

Play a Card: Cursed Acolyte enters play; Profane Zealot to the bottom.  (Again, not a typo.  My decks have been shuffled, I promise; they just seem to have organized themselves into consistent patterns.)

End of Turn: Total party kill, if I'm not mistaken.  One other hero of Legacy's choice survives (thanks to LFTF) and is invincible (per the SCUverse rules); we won't bother to play out the rest of the game unless people want to, though, as even an indestructible hero with four incap abilities per round will have a hard time destroying two more 25-HP targets, even if they're prompt in coming up.

-------------------------------------------------------

In Play: Cursed Acolyte [6].

Trash:  stuff.

Deck:  3 x ?, Pouch of Bones, Strength of the Grave, Vast Following, Sable Pin, Indigo Pin, Vast Following, Grimoire of Curses, Profane Zealot, Vast Following, Profane Zealot.

Effects: Cackling maniacal laughter.

Hero HP:  Not much at this point.

"I'm starting to feel comic books lack realism."
"Master of Understatement: Level Up!"
--Two nearly-consecutive (in the other order) quotes from the webcomic "Grrl Power".

Ironic
Ironic's picture

Profane Zealot is the ideal Gloomy play, Vast Following is the worst (since it could drop multiple non-Melee damage types on us).  There's no way the Zealot comes out, but burying Following was the right call.

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

Odin
Odin's picture

I'm all for letting AZ live. Ryan Frost didn't want to be a hero but now he is the only one of the F5. Does he stay in the heroing buisness and join up with others? or does he sulk in his cryo chamber?

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

My point had been that the SCU verse rules involve the character who gets the Deus Ex win gets written out for "bad reception from fans." AZ gets enough flack for being a jerk that he seems to be the best candidate there.

Edwin

That rule was more of a suggestion; we can do it other ways.  I'm thinking we may do more of these 3-hero games; I kinda don't like having the F5 all together all the time, it's a bit boring and verges on overpowered, especially with Legacy always having four teammates.  I'd kind of enjoy seeing Absolute Zero alongside Ra...perhaps have him join up with the B-team after they get done trashing Kismet.

--Two nearly-consecutive (in the other order) quotes from the webcomic "Grrl Power".

Ironic
Ironic's picture

Take out Legacy.

For my money, that's the most dramatic outcome here, which would really shake up what follows.

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Edwin thanks for running the game. Im gonna siy out the next one

Ironic
Ironic's picture

After my absurd disappearance, I think it's only apropriate that I step out, also.

Cheers!

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

Edwin

Well if you change your mind at some point in future, Ironic, you'll be welcome in SCUverse anytime.  You too of course, HK.

Pages