The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

online play?

64 posts / 0 new
Last post
kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester
online play?

while I love tactics, it has unfortunately fallen into the dangerous hole of not going over well with my game group (I put the blame on one of the players picking prolitariat twice and a mistake rulling on Aim and automisses from the Omnitron scenario) so I'm looking for other venues to play.  Do people play online and what mediums do they use for it?  I imagine using a site like roll20.net could be for the board.   I'm anxiously looking forward to playing it more.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I've been thinking that it would work on roll20. The only problem might be the map tiles.

But yeah, I'd definitely play it online.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Mistakenly picking Proletariat?  Proletariat is awesome!  Just remember to clone often (start with Share the Burden and the other auto-clone one) and get rid of Share the Burden once you have 3 clones (swap for Overwhelm).  And keep one clone safe at all times.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester

Yes, but he is not a good pick for a first time play, since he lacked mobility and was stuck at melee range, leaving the player feeling like he couldn't do anything. 

I've thrown together some basic tiles, using color for elevation/cover the other day, I'll post them when I'm off work. 

EDIT:

A bit later than intended, but attached now is a quick screencap of Insula Primalis Tile set in super simple tiles.  The worst was getting them to line up on the grid, I'll admit.  I tried scanning, but it looked really bad.  The colored lines corispond to elevation, with thicker lines for boarders between tiles and different elevations. Black is height 1, Gold is Height 2, brown is height 3 and Grey is Height 4.  Filled tiles are either cover, with green, or lava, with red.  Also, the tiles are transparent, so they can be updated to have the actual tile scans/images placed beneith them.

Attachments: 
lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

i wonder if this is something we could adapt into Tabletop Simulator (on Steam)

Lynkfox.
http://sentinelswiki.com/ The Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

http://mindwanderer.net/sotm/ - SoTM Statistics! Updated DAILY!

PM me if you're interested in playing with the Statistics Data!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

lynkfox wrote:

i wonder if this is something we could adapt into Tabletop Simulator (on Steam)

Probably, it looks ideal for this kind of thing. But that's less accessible, since it's kinda expensive. I can't really afford it anyway...

Damn it, Ronway!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Sounds like we should totally get it setup for Tabletop Simulator! Yay, no Silverleaf!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

:(

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Libre los Pantalones!

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester

So before a derailment occurs due to a lack of pants... again... here's a quick and dirty render of the tiles I just modeled tonight for future use in tabletop simulator, for those who have it.  http://youtu.be/kwa4flnpJQw  the texture is just the same as the tiles I made for roll20 thrown on for a guide and for simple looks.

I'm favoring roll20 right now though, as it's easier to work in 2d plus it's free to use.

morph147

I rather have the guys at Handelabra make us an iPad app. That would be super fun. Especially since they probably can use the same engine for multiplayer as SotM.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

morph147 wrote:

I rather have the guys at Handelabra make us an iPad app. That would be super fun. Especially since they probably can use the same engine for multiplayer as SotM.

That would be awesome, but it would be a while before they get to that. I'd like something to play in the meantime!

Damn it, Ronway!

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Definitely feel free to tell Handelabra that they should make a Tactics app and that you all would pay for it. :)

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Handelabra, you should make a Tactics app and we would all pay for it.

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Paul wrote:

Definitely feel free to tell Handelabra that they should make a Tactics app and that you all would pay for it. :)

This!

Yes!

(Rook City first though)

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

I would totally pay for a Tactics App!

Krayden006
Krayden006's picture

Quote:

Handelabra, you should make a Tactics app and we would all pay for it.

morph147

If Handelabra made a Tactics app I would buy it day 1. Especially since I hope by that point they can use the same engine for multiplayer as SoTM (once its done) and we can do day one multiplayer

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

We should make a Tactics app and you all should buy it.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

MigrantP wrote:

Tease.

wink

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Lateralis
Lateralis's picture

You know what would be awesome - if Handelabra made a tactics app, and you all paid for it.

One of the makers of Sentinels Sidekick and Sentinels Digital
http://sentinelsdigital.com
http://handelabra.com

Krayden006
Krayden006's picture

Lateralis wrote:

You know what would be awesome - if Handelabra made a tactics app, and you all paid for it.

Deal.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I have some money.

What screen should I throw it at?

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I would totally do that.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

dshields
dshields's picture
Playtester

MigrantP wrote:

Put me Down for a Tactics Game, DLC Miniture Artwork Packs, Season Pass for DLC, DLC Uprisings, DLC Profit and Broken City. DLC Serneros (You caould make alot of these), DLC Music, DLC Turnament mode, DLC Multiplayer.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

dshields wrote:

MigrantP wrote:

Put me Down for a Tactics Game, DLC Miniture Artwork Packs, Season Pass for DLC, DLC Uprisings, DLC Profit and Broken City. DLC Serneros (You caould make alot of these), DLC Music, DLC Turnament mode, DLC Multiplayer.

DLC Ronway's Pants

Rabk
Rabk's picture
Playtester

Ooohh, ooohh... I have an idea!

.  .  .

How about if Handelabra made a Tactics app and we all bought it? Wouldn't that be cool? [I would definitely buy it.]

...yeah, me too.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I'm all for Sentinel Tactics: The Video Game! Sounds like you folks will need to brush up on programming some AI.

lutherbellhendricksv
lutherbellhendricksv's picture
Game Designer

Ronway wrote:

I'm all for Sentinel Tactics: The Video Game! Sounds like you folks will need to brush up on programming some AI.

Nah, me and Christopher will play the other side. Response times might be a little long though.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

lutherbellhendricksv wrote:

Ronway wrote:

Nah, me and Christopher will play the other side. Response times might be a little long though.

They just need to learn to translate human thought patterns into AI and put you guys in that way.  May need to upgrade the iPads a bit first.

Paptimus

I would totally pay for a Tactics app made by Handelabra. And by the way (derail alert!!), I'd pay double for a GSF app...

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Donner wrote:
lutherbellhendricksv wrote:
 Ronway wrote:

They just need to learn to translate human thought patterns into AI and put you guys in that way.  May need to upgrade the iPads a bit first.

Christopher has human thought patterns?

Damn it, Ronway!

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:

Donner wrote:

Christopher is CON?

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

kitmehsu wrote:

Silverleaf wrote:
 Donner wrote:

Christopher is CON?

They were right!  That provides both the connection to the Freedom V and Haka!  And it means Unity IS a part of CON.  Why did we never think of this before?

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

Paptimus wrote:

I would totally pay for a Tactics app made by Handelabra. And by the way (derail alert!!), I'd pay double for a GSF app...

That would definitely be worth some looking into.  Most of my frustrations with GSF is the excessive amount of tokens, the long set-up time, cards (with tokens on them) moving around the board constantly, and how much crap you have to put on the board when the opposition (quite consistently) gains a lot more ships.

95% of my frustrations with the game would disappear if it was all handled by an app.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester

I too would love to have an offical app for Tactics, particularly with online, infact, I would be fine without AI as it would both expand my options for teammates and opponents and allow for more ease of play.

But until that day arrives, I have finished the inital work on a virtual table via roll20, as seen in my attachment.  Eventually I plan on making a kit that contains the images and intructions on how to set it up but before that, I need to run things through their paces and make sure that my ideas are not the fever fueled delerium.  My prototype playtest plans on using the same skirmish scenario from PAX south, and I need volunteers to play.  I run off Eastern time, but other than monday and saturday nights, am free most afternoons/evenings, and I can accept up to 6 players for the playtest (I will play if their is an odd number of players, but otherwise I will just supervise and run the games for the test)

Attachments: 
Rabk
Rabk's picture
Playtester

I'm willing to help out - looks great so far!

...yeah, me too.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I'll volunteer! This looks awesome!

I can totally run on US time(s).

Damn it, Ronway!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Happy to play. Available this Thu (probably), Fri,  and possibly tonight

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

You guys will have to excuse me making stupid haven't-played-for-a-while mistakes... ;)

Damn it, Ronway!

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester

Okay, just sent links to my board to the test subjects volunteers.  I haven't added anything for the power cards since I'm a bit parinoid about this ending up as a complete replacement for actually owning the game.  Plus, that means a lot more scanning if I wanted to do that.  So it's just the board, tokens and dice rolling being handled in the page.

godzilla999666

I would suggest Vassel as the place of choice. Several miniatures games have been adapted to this quite successfully as well as many board games. Plus it is free to use.

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester

Okay, first off, I checked out Vassal, and even played around with it's module making tools.  Honestly, I find it a pain to work with, as it's one of those oddly assembled messes.  As a programer, I shudder anytime some drops the phrase "No programing required."  Other than making any work more shareable than what I'm attempting in roll20, their really isn't any feature there that, to me, make it worth losing the web-based client from roll20.

As for roll20, I've started adding a few character panels and cards, based upon the shared in Luther's behind the scenes thread on BBG, as my scanner is not the best.  When all is said and done, Unity, Ra, Legacy, Baron Blade, Bunker, and Absolute Zero will have built in cards/panels.

No testing has occured yet, and their is still openings.  If you already volunteered, I have sent you all links to the roll20 page via PM on the forum.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Any update? If I was sent a link via PM, I missed it.

Edit: Belay that. Found the link. Looks great. When are we playing?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester

okay, just got the last of the cards/panels uploaded today, as I've been a bit busy of late with getting my first physical prototype for my first board game.  But now I have a streach of four days off so I'm completely free.  You're also the first one to actually follow the link i've sent at this point, sothere is still plenty more room for people who want to join up to test this out.

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

Ooh, ooh! Pick me!

"To such simple minds, my advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic!"

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester

Link sent, wellcome to the group

cmschex
Playtester

I'll have an extended block of time next week starting Sunday and have some time in the evenings this week if you're willing to pm me the invite.  

dshields
dshields's picture
Playtester

I would love to help, Lots of time free

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

Sadly as much as I would like to participate my schedule would be quite a constraint

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester

more links sent out.  Also, don't worry about it, this is manly just a few games to run this set up through it's paces before I start compiling a file kit for people to build their own.

Pages