The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

OblivAeon Kickstarter Update #37: Scions and more!

67 posts / 0 new
Last post
corran109
corran109's picture
OblivAeon Kickstarter Update #37: Scions and more!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-oblivaeon/posts/1886773?ref=backer_project_update

Interesting that the Scions have Nemesis. Dark Mind feels like you're fighting Dark Visionary in a way.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Now I'm extremely curious about what it means to flip a Scion, and why they use the template of "this villain turn" rather than "the villain turn". Are there multiple villain turns?

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

ogseamus
ogseamus's picture
Playtester

@ Arcanist Lupus

My guess is that it has to deal with the 2 Battle Zones. If Dark Mind is in Battle Zone 2, it will not act when dealing with Villains in Battle Zone 1.

Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

I just want to comment on the art layout of the Scion panels. This is my first look at the art pannels and I love how they are laid out. They have some flavor text and an extra art bar that adds to the character. I can't wait to see the other Scions and I especially can't wait to see whats on the flip side of the ones shown on the KS.

corran109
corran109's picture

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

Now I'm extremely curious about what it means to flip a Scion, and why they use the template of "this villain turn" rather than "the villain turn". Are there multiple villain turns?

Given how the flip conditions are, I'm assuming it's similar to flipping any villain, but we'll find out soon enough I guess.

As for the villain turn, I wonder if the Scions take their turn separately from OblivAeon himself.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

They explained turn order at some point in the past, although I don't remember when.  Depending on how many players are in the game, it's villain turn 1, then two or three heroes, then villain turn 2, then the remaining heroes, then the environment.  And I believe the villain's two turns aren't the same, depending on zones and whatnot.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Yeah, I noticed a reference to "here", so obviously the two zones are going to necessitate some interesting new rules.

These guys looks great, though. The entire Celestial Tribunal as a character? :D I can't wait for that episode of the Letters Page!

Blackfang108
Playtester

Yeah, this has gotten me really looking forard to OblivAeon

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

TakeWalker wrote:
The entire Celestial Tribunal as a character? :D I can't wait for that episode of the Letters Page!
Yeah, that struck me as weird.  It looks like it's the Celestial Adjudicator, not the whole Tribunal.  Not only is its tagline "Corrupted Adjudicator," but it's clearly a humanoid and not an entire space station.  Although either way it would be odd to face in the actual Celestial Tribunal.

So we now know that there's an entire Aeon Men deck, which consists either in whole or in part of Aeon Men.  Seems like it doesn't just consist of a whole stack of identical cards, or there'd be no point in shuffling it.  But I can't tell from this whether all Aeon Men are the same.  They sure look the same in the picture, but maybe they have different abilities, or maybe that's just the "generic mook" model.

Dark Mind has an interesting mechanic, triggered on ongoings being revealed or destroyed.  I assume "reveal" means through the "reveal" event and not being effectively revealed by being played or even "looked at" (e.g. Inventive Preparation).  But that could stand to be written more clearly.  It's also interesting that she's an "Unhinged Voidform" but doesn't have the Voidform keyword.

I'm dying to know the OblivAeon mechanics.  Not least so lynkfox and I can start working on how to handle the stats pages!  If there's only one Scion per game (perhaps each with their own deck), or it's something like "Choose H-1 Scions" and those are the scions that are in the game, period, that'll be easy.  If they keep coming out, that'll be harder.

Submit your games here!

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

The tribunal is an AI, yes? My guess is that it did something similar to Omnitron's transformation into OX.

And I'm guessing that the Aeon Men are something like the gene bound minions - unique, but all very similar.

ChronoRanger_101
ChronoRanger_101's picture

So each scion has their own deck? O.O I'm still not sure I understand the whole thing yet... really looking forward to more info. 

carnilius
Playtester

ChronoRanger_101 wrote:

So each scion has their own deck? O.O I'm still not sure I understand the whole thing yet... really looking forward to more info. 

From the kickstarter update: 

Kickstarter wrote:

And they even all share a deck, cleverly called the Scion Deck.

So one deck, for all Scions.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

ChronoRanger_101 wrote:

No, I'm pretty sure that there is one deck of Scions.

Ninja'd

corran109
corran109's picture

MindWanderer wrote:

TakeWalker wrote:
The entire Celestial Tribunal as a character? :D I can't wait for that episode of the Letters Page!

Yeah, that struck me as weird.  It looks like it's the Celestial Adjudicator, not the whole Tribunal.  Not only is its tagline "Corrupted Adjudicator," but it's clearly a humanoid and not an entire space station.  Although either way it would be odd to face in the actual Celestial Tribunal.

It also depends on what the other side of Sanction is.

carnilius
Playtester

I'm curious of the canonical explanation, given that all games are canon, of how things are fighting themselves, like Dark Visionary fighting Dark Mind, or Sanction fighting in the Celestial Tribunal, or I guess any of the new heroes fighting the villain versions of themselves.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Time travel/alternate realities.  It's possible all the way up through the end of the OblivAeon fight.

Don't know how they'll explain that short of shenanigan in Tactics, but fortunately that isn't possible yet.

Submit your games here!

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Nightmist became a gate and pulled alternate versions of all the heroes in. This includes alternate versions of Dark Visionary who weren't helped by AA, I guess.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Is the Void also the afterlife of the Multiverse? It seems like we keep getting presumably dead people being reanimated as voidforms.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

You know, the Setback Letters Pages mentioned that the Dark Watch was able to turn one of the Scions back into its uncorrupted form. I wonder if that's what flipping them is about.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I don't think so.  The flip conditions all look like the results of the heroes allowing Bad Things to happen, not some sort of success/reward situation.  I think the flip sides are escalations of some sort.  Redeeming a Scion may be an Objective/Reward card.

Submit your games here!

corran109
corran109's picture

Jeysie wrote:

Is the Void also the afterlife of the Multiverse? It seems like we keep getting presumably dead people being reanimated as voidforms.

I don't think so, but I feel like it might have some quirks with people who are tied to the Void in some way. They might not die like normal people do.

ChronoRanger_101

carnilius wrote:

ChronoRanger_101 wrote:

From the kickstarter update: 

Kickstarter wrote:
And they even all share a deck, cleverly called the Scion Deck.

So one deck, for all Scions.

ah I see. That's neat. Assuming this is still accurate, this is helping me make some sense of it. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/sentinels-of-the-multiverse...

itll still make more sense once I'm actually doing it though. 

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

MindWanderer wrote:

I don't think so.  The flip conditions all look like the results of the heroes allowing Bad Things to happen, not some sort of success/reward situation.  I think the flip sides are escalations of some sort.  Redeeming a Scion may be an Objective/Reward card.

Of course, it's always possible that not all the Scions act the same way upon flip.  Certainly not all the villains do.

saykhia
saykhia's picture

I wonder if the extra art bar for the Scions (where the HP is located) is a clue to what might be on the flipped side?

If so, Sanction's flip side might be bad news. (Also note GtG's tendency to treat trash piles as doomsday countdown timers)

Prefers smooth peanut butter, but loves crunchy numbers.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

MindWanderer wrote:

Yeah, that struck me as weird.  It looks like it's the Celestial Adjudicator, not the whole Tribunal.

Given the way things can change in comic books, not to mention this game, I wouldn't be surprised if Oblivaeon was like, "Hey, giant sword ship robots, you help me now" and smooshed the whole sword into a being that looks like the Celestial Adjudicator. Except instead of being 20 feet high, she's like, 200 feet high. :B

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

MindWanderer wrote:

Dark Mind has an interesting mechanic, triggered on ongoings being revealed or destroyed.  I assume "reveal" means through the "reveal" event and not being effectively revealed by being played or even "looked at" (e.g. Inventive Preparation).  But that could stand to be written more clearly.

I just says "Reveal". So any "reveal" mechanic triggers it (eg. Inventive Preparation). "Being Played" is not "revealing". Since "reveal" is a specific mechanic already widely used throughout the card game, It should be familiar to you and others by the time you play Oblivaeon itself. To me, this is already pretty clear and consistent with other uses of the term "reveal".

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Did anyone else notice that the link to the Celestial Tribunal went to the Wiki? That's pretty awesome. 

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

corran109 wrote:
Jeysie wrote:

I don't think so, but I feel like it might have some quirks with people who are tied to the Void in some way. They might not die like normal people do.

That could be it too... which feels even more creepy in a way, really.

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

corran109
corran109's picture

Jeysie wrote:

corran109 wrote:
Jeysie wrote:

I mean, it is the Void. I feel like it's supposed to be creepy. You should submit questions about it to a relevant character on the Letter's Page. I wonder if they'll do an Interlude for Void questions.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

corran109 wrote:
Jeysie wrote:

I mean, it is the Void. I feel like it's supposed to be creepy. You should submit questions about it to a relevant character on the Letter's Page. I wonder if they'll do an Interlude for Void questions.

Indeed, but there's a certain extra element of creepiness to "You're mine forever now that you have a connection to me, even potentially if you never asked to have one."

I already have buckets of questions for Argent Adept's Letters Page, to be sure. (And I bet Nepycros also does too.)

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I seem to recall them saying there would be a Void Interlude, but [citation needed]. :B

much0gust0
much0gust0's picture
Playtester

Foote wrote:

MindWanderer wrote:
Dark Mind has an interesting mechanic, triggered on ongoings being revealed or destroyed.  I assume "reveal" means through the "reveal" event and not being effectively revealed by being played or even "looked at" (e.g. Inventive Preparation).  But that could stand to be written more clearly.

I just says "Reveal". So any "reveal" mechanic triggers it (eg. Inventive Preparation). "Being Played" is not "revealing". Since "reveal" is a specific mechanic already widely used throughout the card game, It should be familiar to you and others by the time you play Oblivaeon itself. To me, this is already pretty clear and consistent with other uses of the term "reveal".

Uh, sure it is...I have to reveal the card to play the card. I can't hide what card I played, therefore I revealed it =). This is a rare moment where the rules are too counterintuitive for their own good, like the difference between "play a card" and "put a card into play." I see the nuance, but I do not like it, haha. I assume that the Reveal here is any time an Ongoing card is turned face up...

corran109
corran109's picture

Is there actually a rule in Sentinels that states your hand has to be hidden? Sometimes in my group we just play with hands in the open. In that case, there's no revealing when playing a card.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Considering that the video game had both open and closed hand options, I'd say that you can choose whichever option sits your group the best.

I actually don't find the "play" vs "put into play" distiction to be nonintuitive at all, but I come from a background of MtG, where wording is extremely strict, and there are several very similar nuances. I can see how other people would view it differently.

Cards are revealed whenever the rules text says "revealed". No more, no less. Even if you are technically revealing cards while taking other actions, that isn't the same as the game action of "revealing" (just like you wouldn't say that you "walked to the store" if you walked to your car, drove to a parking lot, then walked into the store). The one exception may be that I think there are older cards that say "Look at..." which was later standardized to be the same as revealing. I'd have to check the Fireside Chats.

Also, I'm not a playtester, so the above paragraph is deduction, not fact.

corran109
corran109's picture

I was more making the point that if there's no strict hidden hand rule, reveal cannot ever apply to anything in your hand.

I played MtG for a long time too, but I remember a good number of people new to MtG having the same confusion over "reveal".

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

much0gust0 wrote:

Uh, sure it is...I have to reveal the card to play the card. I can't hide what card I played, therefore I revealed it =). This is a rare moment where the rules are too counterintuitive for their own good, like the difference between "play a card" and "put a card into play." I see the nuance, but I do not like it, haha. I assume that the Reveal here is any time an Ongoing card is turned face up...

Reveal is a specificly mentioned mechanic in SotM. Since it's specificly definined in the game, you have to understand it in the game-sense and not the general sense of the word.

I understand why this is confusing to new players. It's similar to the huge mechanical difference of "playing a card" and "putting a card into play" which are two totally seperate and different things in SotM terms, but should mean the same thing in a general sense.

But this is OblivAeon. I think the assumption here should be that if you playing OblivAeon, it's likely not your first game of SotM and that you are more or less familiar with these fairly common mechanical terms and the rules behind them.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I don't think it's safe to assume anything when it comes to player stupidity.  I've been at conventions where the booth managers are demoing their own games and making significant mistakes in basic mechanics.  I agree that "reveal" certainly means just when a card says "reveal," but I can see how players could easily get it wrong.

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Even so I don't think the wording on Dark Mind will change since this is a standard mechanic.  If people play it wrong on the tabletop it won't be the first nor the last time anyone got it wrong.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Even so I don't think the wording on Dark Mind will change since this is a standard mechanic.  If people play it wrong on the tabletop it won't be the fist nor the last time anyone got it wrong.  

Right. It's a standard SotM mechanic. Given that fact there isn't really a cleaner way to say it, which I think was the original point I wanted to make.

ChronoRanger_101

MindWanderer wrote:

TakeWalker wrote:

I'm dying to know the OblivAeon mechanics.  Not least so lynkfox and I can start working on how to handle the stats pages!  If there's only one Scion per game (perhaps each with their own deck), or it's something like "Choose H-1 Scions" and those are the scions that are in the game, period, that'll be easy.  If they keep coming out, that'll be harder.

heres a quote from a past update. 

The Scion pile is full over oversized villain character cards that will enter the Battle Zones to hinder the heroes and be generally terrifying. They’re very powerful. It will be rare to see more than 2 or 3 over the course of a game, though in Advanced more they come out more quickly. You’ll need to work together and probably even use Mission rewards to take them down on the path to OblivAeon.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

...Oh geez, you're not just fighting one at a time? D: Or do they come out one after the other?

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

It sounds to me like the Scion Deck will have a couple cards that have, as an effect, "Put a Scion into play." Or possibly OblivAeon's deck or character cards will do so.

I could see OblivAeon deploying one after his shields are knocked out, for instance, or if X amount of Aeon Men are destroyed.

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

ChronoRanger_101 wrote:

MindWanderer wrote:
 TakeWalker wrote:

heres a quote from a past update. The Scion pile is full over oversized villain character cards that will enter the Battle Zones to hinder the heroes and be generally terrifying. They’re very powerful. It will be rare to see more than 2 or 3 over the course of a game, though in Advanced more they come out more quickly. You’ll need to work together and probably even use Mission rewards to take them down on the path to OblivAeon. 

Oh bloody hell. I didn't even think of the whole Statistics thing with the Scions... gah... gah... gah.

Lynkfox.
http://sentinelswiki.com/ The Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

http://mindwanderer.net/sotm/ - SoTM Statistics! Updated DAILY!

PM me if you're interested in playing with the Statistics Data!

Comrade Bubbles
Comrade Bubbles's picture

Looking at the pictures of the case in the update, I'm not sure there's enough room for every card to be sleeved. Admittedly, I worry (and get pessimistic) when estimating these things, but from the very hurried maths I just did, it looks too small. Take this all with a pinch of salt though :D

The space/time continuum was broken when I got here. Honest.

corran109
corran109's picture

Comrade Bubbles wrote:

Looking at the pictures of the case in the update, I'm not sure there's enough room for every card to be sleeved. Admittedly, I worry (and get pessimistic) when estimating these things, but from the very hurried maths I just did, it looks too small. Take this all with a pinch of salt though :D

I didn't do the math, but there's a lot of open space and foam blocks in there, and I trust >G to hold up to their promise of it holding sleeved cards.

Comrade Bubbles

My working, so that people can see if I've missed anything.

Using a standard hero deck with just the base character card included and basic Ultra Pro sleeves, I got the following;

At 'standard' compression (i.e. the deck was lightly compressed to make it slightly thinner); 27mm (the deck) x 37 (the number of expected decks by my count) = 999mm / 2 (the number of trays in the case) = 499.5mm needed in each tray for just the decks.

At 'tight' compression (i.e. ramming all the cards together as best I could); 24mm x 37 = 888mm / 2 = 444mm. At this compression, however, getting the cards out was... difficult.

None of the above includes dividers, either the cardstock ones or the ones coming with the case.

Taking out the character cards will create space equal to roughly one hero deck, so that's an option.

Mostly I just want to know if I'm getting worked up over nothing (which is what my partner keeps telling me).

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

If this box can't fit all the decks sleeved GtG may have a riot.

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

You have to understand that "will the box hold all the cards sleeved" is THE number one most frequently asked question for this kickstarter, to the point that is become a running joke. This is not a feature that they're going to just forget about.

I'm not sure where your numbers are coming from, though. By my count there are four drawers for decks, and far more than 37 decks, of several different sizes.

Comrade Bubbles

Sorry for the miscommunication. 37 hero decks divided by the two trays intended for hero decks. I haven't sleeved anything else because of cost at the minute, so that's where my primary interest lies.

Edit: I'm not doing this to troll anyone. I'm just seeking reassurance, as I said, I worry a lot. About stupid things.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

At worst case, some of the hero decks have to migrate into the environment tray.  The sleeves should protect them from the varied and dangerous environments found there.

Comrade Bubbles

A fact I've considered. It would be extremely irritating, but I'm aware it's stupid to feel like that.

Hats off for the sleeves joke though.

Pages