The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Oblivaeon Exploit / Can I Haz Cardz

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Mariner
The Mariner's picture
Oblivaeon Exploit / Can I Haz Cardz

Okay, so I noticed that Oblivaeon deals each non-Scion target 9999 infernal damage on "Impending Doom."  Time for a dumb question- could Visionary Twist the Ether to turn that into fire damage as it hits Absolute Zero in a Fixed Point, thus unleashing 9999 cold damage on Oblivaeon and trivializing the encounter? I assume there's an effect to avoid this situation, or a similar one. But my question- is it a Baron Blade-esque built-in wall on Oblivaeon itself or more of an environmental-style effect, but on a Scion?  Or perhaps is this the secret way that he heroes ACTUALLY beat Oblivaeon?

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

It won’t end the game with just that blow.  I’m not sure what else I can say in regards to it. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Well, we know OblivAeon itself is invincible in the first phase and you have to just bang on his shield.  Then you have to reduce him to 0 HP twice after that.  But I don't personally know why this trick wouldn't end one phase instantly.  Unless, of course, the 9999 damage attack also destroys the environment....

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

This probably does end one phase instantly.  But AZ + Fixed Point + Twist the Ether is already an infinite damage engine, so I don't see how OblivAeon's 9999 damage effect makes it any more powerful than it already was.  

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

In the video game it would be a lot less clicking but on tabletop it wouldn’t matter. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Trajector
Trajector's picture

You could also use Synaptic Interruption, and you wouldn't have to rely on seeing a Fixed Point.

FearLord

Trajector wrote:

You could also use Synaptic Interruption, and you wouldn't have to rely on seeing a Fixed Point.

I am fairly sure I saw something like Immune to damage from himself on OblivAeon’s text when I squinted at it in the rulebook...

rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

Synaptic Interruption wouldn't work.  For reasons.  <smoke bombs>

rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

FearLord wrote:

Trajector wrote:

I am fairly sure I saw something like Immune to damage from himself on OblivAeon’s text when I squinted at it in the rulebook...

Oh, good, I wasn't sure if non-playtesters had seen that.  Hence my smoke bombs.

FearLord

rjc917 wrote:

FearLord wrote:
 Trajector wrote:

Oh, good, I wasn't sure if non-playtesters had seen that.  Hence my smoke bombs.

It isn’t hugely readable, but so think I could make out most of the text (although it’s been a while since I looked, but the ‘No damaging himself’ stuck in my memory).

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

It's been publicly viewed at places like Gen Con, though. ;-)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

You could still use redirection to just avoid dying. Maybe nuke something else instead?

rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

Oh yeah, it would be useful to take out a Scion or something, you just couldn't kill Oblivaeon that way.

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

I knew that Oblivaeon couldn’t self-damage; as the subtitle indicated, I was pretty sure that it wasn’t an issue and just wanted to see some more cards.

And I would have, too, if it weren’t for those blasted meddling playtesters!