The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Episode 4: The Ennead (Advanced)

151 posts / 0 new
Last post
ketigid

How about Tempest plays Reclaim from the Deep and Wraith lets Haka draw Ground Pound, next round? Tempest has 2 Reclaims so we get to shut the Ennead down 2 more times.

ketigid

Discards Into the Stratosphere.

Tempest

HP: 9

Hand:  Reclaim from the Deep x 2, Cleansing Downpour, Electrical Storm, Localized Hurricane, Otherworldly Resilience.

In Play: Gene-Bound Shackles

Trash: Shielding Winds, Ball Lightning, Into the Stratosphere.

Additional Effects: +2 damage dealt by Tempest to highest villain target.

-----------------

Start of Hero Turn: None

Play a Card: Localized Hurricane

Use a Power: Localized Hurricane damages Set and Isis for 3 (Set 10, Isis 13), draws Ball Lightning and Otherworldly Resilience.

Draw a Card: Aquatic Correspondence

End of Hero Turn: None

-----------------

Hand:  Reclaim from the Deep x 2, Cleansing Downpour, Electrical Storm, Otherworldly Resilience x 2, Ball Lightning, Aquatic Correspondence.

In Play: Localized Hurricane

Trash: Shielding Winds, Ball Lightning, Gene-Bound Shackles, Into the Stratosphere.

Additional Effects: +2 damage dealt by Tempest to highest villain target.

Mezike
Mezike's picture

I'll be away for a few days so feel free to automate my turn!

cmschex
Playtester

So do we want to use Wraith's Incap power to take out the Tendrils or have someone draw?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Tendrils isn't bothering us this turn, but haka needs cards. Not only are there 2 Reclaims, but I can use Mental Divurgence to bring it back also. The problem is, Haka will need the cards to discard. If Tempy uses Reclaim, and I use Enlighten, with Wraiths draw, and Hakas, natural draw, we should be able to get him the cards he needs. Even better if he draws the second Ground Pound.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Kharnel
Kharnel's picture

Agreed, give Haka the draw. Seems like chaining Ground Pounds as best we can might be our best chance of making it through this thing.

Iron Legacy did nothing wrong.

cmschex
Playtester

Ok drawing for Haka. Haka of Restoration (aka discard fodder)

Kharnel
Kharnel's picture

Do you guys think I should play Harmony or Overdrive on my next turn? If I Harmony first I can set up for 8 damage to everyone the turn after . . . but I might not make it that long.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Next turn:

Haka - Draws 2

Fixer - Overdrive

Visionary - Precog, Enlighten Haka

Tempy - Reclaim Ground Pound/Overdrive/Precog, Either heals us or does damage

Wraths - Haka Draws

Turn After:

Haka - Ground Pounds

Fixer - Harmony

Visionary - Precog, Enlighten Haka

Tempy - Either heals us or does damage

Wraith - Haka draws

Turn After

Haka - draws 2

Fixer - Overdrive

Visonary - Precog, Enlighten Haka

Tempy - Reclaim Ground Pound/Overdrive/Precog Either heals us or does damage

Wrath - Haka draws.

Etc.

I played Twist this turn, but realized if we get the Ongoing destruction card we might be in trouble. Should I change it to a Precog this turn?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

cmschex
Playtester

We have enough ongoing to scarifice to it (It's H-1) that we could keep both Ground Pound and Twist in Play

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Time Cataclysm

In Play: Tendrils of Madness - 3HP

----------------------------------------------------------------

Start of Turn: 

Play a Card: Charging Triceratops - 8HP

End of Turn: Tendrils of Madness "attack" Geb - no attempt to deal damage and a rather redundant damage boost.

In Play: Tendrils of Madness - 3HP, Charging Triceratops - 8HP

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

Round 4

The Ennead (Advanced) - The Ennead in Force

Nuit [S] - Incapacitated

Tefnut [H] - 23

Geb [H] - 26

Isis [H/A] - 12

Set [S][H] - 9

Osiris [A] - 21

Atum [A] - 22

Nephthys [H][A] - 22

Shu [S/H] - 19

Cards in Play: The Shrine of the Ennead

Trash: Taste of Immortality, The Desert's Wrath, Elemental Storm, Mass Overheating, Death's Grasp, Sun's Fury

Additional Effects: +1 damage dealt by the Ennead.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Start of the Villain Turn: The environment trash is shuffed into the environment deck.

Play a Villain Card: Burst of Flame [S] - Nada.

Set causes a card to be played: Elemental Storm [H] - Zip.

Tefnut growls impotently.

Geb picks himself off the ground and dusts himself off.

Isis curses as a spell of hers fizzles.

Set mutters something foul under his breath.

Nephthys considers the myriad of choices that led to her being here.

Shu heals the Ennead for 1 (slightly smugly).

End of the Villain Turn: The Ennead regain 3HP.

Nuit [S] - Incapacitated

Tefnut [H] - 27

Geb [H] - 30

Isis [H/A] - 16

Set [S][H] - 13

Osiris [A] - 25

Atum [A] - 26

Nephthys [H][A] - 26

Shu [S/H] - 23

Trash: Taste of Immortality, The Desert's Wrath, Elemental Storm x2, Mass Overheating, Death's Grasp, Sun's Fury, Burst of Flame

Additional Effects in Play: +1 damage dealt by the Ennead.

-Reckless

cmschex
Playtester

Haka

HP: 23

Hand:  Rampage, Elbow Smash, Dominion, Haka of Restoration

In Play: Te Moko, Ground Pound

Trash: Haka of Shielding x 2, Taiaha, Punish the Weak (discarded to Osiris)

Additional Effects:

-----------------

Start of Hero Turn: Ground Pound destroyed

Play a Card: Haka of Restoration, draw Ground Pound! and Vitality Surge, discard Dominion to gain 1 HP

Use a Power: Crush Set for 2 (11 HP)

Draw a Card: Mere

End of Hero Turn:

-----------------

HP: 24

Hand:  Rampage, Elbow Smash, Mere, Ground Pound, Vitatlity Surge

In Play: Te Moko

Trash: Haka of Shielding x 2, Haka of Battle, Taiaha, Dominionx2, Punish the Weak, Haka of Restoration, Ground Pound

Additional Effects:

Kharnel
Kharnel's picture

Mr Fixer

HP: 8

Hand: Overdrive, Harmony

In Play: Jack Handle, Grease Monkey Fist, Bloody Knuckles

Trash: Meditation, Pipe Wrench, Riveting Crane, Charge

Additional Effects:

-----------------

Start of Hero Turn: Bloody Knuckles is destroyed

Play a Card: Overdrive

Use a Power: Strike twice for total 6 damage to all (Tefnut 21, Geb 24, Isis 10, Set 5, Osiris 19, Atum 20, Nephthys 20, Shu 17

Draw a Card: Meditation

End of Hero Turn:

-----------------

HP: 8

Hand: Harmony, Meditation

In Play: Jack Handle, Grease Monkey Fist

Trash: Meditation, Pipe Wrench, Riveting Crane, Charge, Overdrive

Additional Effects:

-----------------

I forgot they started healing after the flip. This doesn't look good.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Visionary

Hand:  Telekinetic Cocoon, Mental Divergence, Mass Levitation, Wrest the Mind, Precognition x2, Mind Spike

In Play: Mass Levitation, Twist the Ether

Trash: Prophetic Vision, Cerebral Hemorrhage, Brain Burn, Psychic Maelstrom, Wrest the Mind

Additional Effects: None

-----------------

Play a Card: Precognition

Use a Power: Enlighten Haka

Draw a Card: Wrest the Mind :(

-----------------

Hand:  Telekinetic Cocoon, Mental Divergence, Mass Levitation, Wrest the Mind x2, Precognition, Mind Spike

In Play: Mass Levitation, Twist the Ether

Trash: Prophetic Vision, Cerebral Hemorrhage, Brain Burn, Psychic Maelstrom, Wrest the Mind, Precognition

Additional Effects: None

-----------------

Notes: Great job on the villain turn BHM!

cmschex
Playtester

Draw Haka of Battle, Rampage, discard Mere

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

How many cards do you have now?

cmschex
Playtester

6, including another Ground Pound

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

That's great! With Reclaim and the second GP, you can prevent all damage for the next couple of rounds.

EDIT: Ok thinking out loud here. The 2 Reclaims can constantly be recylced, right? Which means you can bring back GP every round. With Haka's natural card draw, plus Enlighten and Wraith's incap ability, he will always draw GP and have 2 more cards to discard. This means that starting next round we can GP every time. I guess the only issue is will we survive this one. I guess with Precognition we have a chance, at least we will know this turn if we won. Someone please double check this. The only thing that can really hurt us is if we get the Ongoing destruction card a couple of times in a row. I can Precog every turn (with reclaim). The problem is, nobody except me can drop Ongoings, everyone else is busy.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Tempest in fact can reclaim his other reclaim. So pretty much Ground Pound every turn, with a precog every turn, there is almost no chance of losing. It's almost like cheating!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

So it is going to come down to how much damage they do next turn. I did play Precog which should help (unless someone thinks Cocoon would be better). Also, Tempy does have a Cleansing Downpour for 2 extra HP all around. 

ketigid

Tempest

Hand:  Reclaim from the Deep x 2, Cleansing Downpour, Electrical Storm, Otherworldly Resilience x 2, Ball Lightning, Aquatic Correspondence.

In Play: Localized Hurricane

Trash: Shielding Winds, Ball Lightning, Gene-Bound Shackles, Into the Stratosphere.

Additional Effects: none

-----------------

Play a Card: Electrical Storm

Use a Power: Localized Hurricane, dealing 3 damage to Geb and Tefnut. (Tefnut 18, Geb 21, Isis 10, Set 5, Osiris 19, Atum 20, Nephthys 20, Shu 17)

Draw a Card: Grievous Hailstorm

-----------------

Hand: Reclaim from the Deep x 2, Cleansing Downpour, Otherworldly Resilience x 2, Ball Lightning, Aquatic Correspondence, Grievous Hailstorm.

In Play: Localized Hurricane, Electrical Storm.

Trash: Shielding Winds, Ball Lightning, Gene-Bound Shackles, Into the Stratosphere, Localized Hurricane.

Additional Effects: none

-----------------

Cool. Grievous Hailstorm! Next turn, if I play Reclaim, I may want to take back Gene-Bound Shackles to deal more damage to villains with higher HP.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Actually we are still waiting on what Precognition will tell us (unless someone thinks Cocoon would be better), but that would probably be a good play anyways. Depending on Precog, it might be necessary to use Cleansing this round. If we survive this round, the game should essentially be ours.

EDIT: The extra 2 hp to everyone could be worth it compared to the extra damage Tempy takes. Even if Tempy dies, we sould still win. His power will let Visonary use Mental Divergence and Enlighten every turn, which will let Haka use GP every turn.

ketigid

Pydro wrote:

Actually we are still waiting on what Precognition will tell us (unless someone thinks Cocoon would be better), but that would probably be a good play anyways. Depending on Precog, it might be necessary to use Cleansing this round. If we survive this round, the game should essentially be ours.EDIT: The extra 2 hp to everyone could be worth it compared to the extra damage Tempy takes. Even if Tempy dies, we sould still win. His power will let Visonary use Mental Divergence and Enlighten every turn, which will let Haka use GP every turn.

Noted. Actions not confirmed, added note to my turn above.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I was taking a look at the incap abilities, and a few can really mess us over.

Tefnut: At the start of the villain turn, each player discards 1 card.

Geb: At the start of the villain turn, each player puts the top card of their hero deck on the bottom of their deck.

Isis: At the start of the villain turn, discard the top H cards of each hero deck.

There is one that can help us IF it activates first:

Set: At the start of the villain turn, play the top card of each deck in turn order, starting with the villain deck.

This would mean that in order for the combo to work, we can;t do AoE damage, but rather bring everyone down so that everyone can be taken out at once. This would mean it would take A LOT of time to setup (but we could be healing each round). The biggest concern with taking a long time would be to get the Ongoing destruction cards. Precog could push them back, but then they would come back to back at the end of the deck. We would need enough Ongoing to cover both, or a way to shuffle the decks together. Brain Burn wouldn't help because I would never survive the damage. One possibility might be to put out Decoy before Brain Burn, we shall see. Regardless, this will be a VERY long game if we survive, the question is can we declare victory or should we play it out?

EDIT: Also Atum: At the start of the villain turn, shuffle the villain trash into the villain deck. This would make Precog useless, and could devestate us if we can't get enough ongoings out.

ketigid

We should always play it out, SotM has a habit of making awesome endings (both losses and wins).

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I don't mind, but let's run the numbers. Haka can do 2 to 3 damage a turn, Fixer can do 5, and Tempy can do 3 (if he doesn't heal), for a grand total of 11 until we lose Ongoings. The villains will heal at least 3 a turn but could also add 1 or 2. So we have around 8 damage to one target (right now). So it would take around 15 rounds at least. With 6 cards in the villain trash, we have 18 turns left before a shuffle, or 16 turns (whoa barely, if everything works out perfectly) until we need to draw Ancient Magicks, which destroys Ongoings (actually less since some cards draw the top card of the villain deck). If we get lucky and both Ancients Magicks are put on the bottom soon, then we can skip Precog and drop Ongoings to fill them up (I think we can survive one right now). The only Environment card that can hurt us is Crushing Hallway, but we would just have FIxer dump his hand each time it came up. There are many other Environment cards that will help us draw even more cards.

First things first, we need to survive this turn.

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

Right, Precognition! Cards are Rise to Power, Death's Grasp, Taste of Immortality.

-Reckless

cmschex
Playtester

It's gotta be Taste of Immortality, right?  Even with the healing they wont do damage this turn

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yep. It was the only free card, and we got it! Nice drawing BHM!

EDIT: Ok, Tmepy's turn. I wouldn;t kill LH. 1) It provides Ongoing foddor. 2) It is the only way you can do damage without Squall right now. The big question though is what do you do. If you heal until everyone max's out, we could easily survive 2 Ancients Magicks, but the game would take much longer. Precog can make sure that the last 2 cards of the deck are Ancient Magicks. I think we can survive the first one right now, the question is the second. If we had enough HP it wouldn't be a problem. The other option would be, depending on how many Ongiongs we have right now, is to have everyone dump one the turn before (except Haka who needs to GP). I would put out MD and use it to get GP back so we can continue the combo. If the the card align early, and we know AM won't be the next card, I could play an Ongoing that round. So what does everyone think?

EDIT2: The other problem is how to take out everyone at once. I think we need everyone to be right around the same HP then we start hitting everyone every turn. We only need to get them below 10, when everyone hits them at once. Maybe we need to target the highest HPs first until everyone is about even, then we attack AoE. If that won't work, we could let them heal up then start taking them down. EIther way this will be a long game, but we should win.

ketigid

Since we survived this round, I'm going to play Electrical Storm to help deal some damage since it's going to be a long game. As for Power, I'll use Localized Hurricane to wear down the highest HP. How about that?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sounds good. The biggest issue right now is not killing any of them, but ES shouldn't be an issue. All it will do is minimize the healing they get each turn. If it becomes an issue, you can just use Freedom's Tempy's power to get rid of it...oooh and it's another Ongoing.

The question about which power you use will depend on what approach we should take. It might be a good idea to heal up before taking them out, just in case we get a bad draw, or we can start pounding them now. It would be safer to start healing first, but it would be a longer game.

ketigid

I get what you mean about healing. But, I think so long as we're able to pull off the Ground Pound Combo, I'll opt for a more reckless play and pile on the damage.

Done updating. Wraith can continue.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Wraith will have Haka draw I think. Let's give Haka as many cards as we can.

ketigid

Great. Now, environment turn.

Let the Tendrils bite Haka!

cmschex
Playtester

We could use her incap power to put the Ground Pound in my trash on my deck so I could draw it next turn.  Seems like the most effiicent solution

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I was going to say it wasn't needed, because Tempy will Reclaim next turn and Wraith will let you draw GP. However, I just realized that I might need the draw to get Precog back, since I used one this turn. If Wraith moves it now, Haka can naturally draw it on his turn, then I can use Wraith to draw Precog.

ketigid

Haka has Ground Pound plus 5 other cards. Each turn, Haka needs to play Ground Pound and discard 2 cards, then draws 1 card (which usually is the other Ground Pound). If Wraith lets Haka draw 1 card, then each round, Haka will still be losing a net of 1 card. So, we can maintain Ground Pound for 4 more rounds?

And on the 5th round, Haka finishes off with Rampage. Can we do that?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Card drawing isn't a problem, because I can Enlighten Haka, which would give him an extra card every turn. There are also several Environment cards that will help us draw cards. Here is a problem though: I was trying to work it out, and realized that I cannot Precog every turn unless Tempy uses Reclaim this turn and every turn from now on. Someone double check this, but I don't think it will work out if we wait. Of course we can risk it and not play ut next turn (we should be able to survive it).

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Won't be back on until Thursday night, so please don't wait and do my turn for me.

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

Did y'all decide what Wraith was doing?

-Reckless

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Well I would say Tempy should play Reclaim instead. If he does then Haka should draw, if he doesn't then we could bring back GP or have him draw.

EDIT: Ignore that. We can survive the first AM, and just need Precog to prevent the second. In the meantime, I can drop Ongoings to cover us. The worst possible situation is if the last card us AM and us the first card after a shuffle. Even then we should survive it if we start healing before.

ketigid

Shall we continue? Wraith lets Haka draw 1 card?

cmschex
Playtester

Haka draws Enduring Intercession

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

Time Cataclysm

In Play: Tendrils of Madness - 3HP, Charging Triceratops - 8HP

Start of Turn: Tricey deals 3 damage to the Visionary or Tempest. 

Play a Card: Main Computer Room - 9HP

End of Turn: Tendrils of Madness attack Geb dealing one damage and boosting Geb's attack.

Main Computer Room plays Taste of Immortality. The Ennead heal for 4.

In Play: Tendrils of Madness - 3HP, Charging Triceratops - 8HP, Main Computer Room - 9HP

-Reckless

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

Round 5

The Ennead (Advanced) - The Ennead in Force

Nuit [S] - Incapacitated

Tefnut [H] - 29

Geb [H] - 32

Isis [H/A] - 20

Set [S][H] - 17

Osiris [A] - 27

Atum [A] - 30

Nephthys [H][A] - 28

Shu [S/H] - 24

Trash: Taste of Immortality x2, The Desert's Wrath, Elemental Storm x2, Mass Overheating, Death's Grasp, Sun's Fury, Burst of Flame

Additional Effects: +1 damage dealt by the Ennead.

Start of the Villain Turn: The environment trash is shuffed into the environment deck.

Play a Villain Card: Rise To Power leads to The Desert's Wrath [E] - the environment is destroyed. Set hits each hero for 4.

Tefnut deals the lowest HP hero 3 damage.

Geb hits the two highest-HP heroes for 4 damage.

Isis hits someone who isn't Haka for 3 damage.

Set hits each hero for 2 damage.

Nephthys hits each hero for 2 damage.

Shu heals the Ennead for 1.

End of the Villain Turn: The Ennead regain 3HP.

Nuit [S] - Incapacitated

Tefnut [H] - 29

Geb [H] - 32

Isis [H/A] - 24

Set [S][H] - 21

Osiris [A] - 27

Atum [A] - 30

Nephthys [H][A] - 28

Shu [S/H] - 24

Trash: Taste of Immortality x2, The Desert's Wrath x2, Elemental Storm x2, Mass Overheating, Death's Grasp, Sun's Fury, Burst of Flame

Additional Effects in Play: +1 damage dealt by the Ennead.

The best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley... Tempest's Localised Hurricane makes damage calculations a wee bit complicated, but as far as I can see it, no matter how you decide who gets hit by what you end up with Haka on 15HP and everyone else incapacitated.

-Reckless

Kharnel
Kharnel's picture

Ouch.

cmschex
Playtester

Um, yeah, so...That's that, I think

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Agreed...I will not be looking back and seeing if we could have stopped it. GG everyone.

Kharnel
Kharnel's picture

Yeah, I don't know how much we could have done differently. I feel like I got as good of a draw as Fixer could hope for in this fight, but there was just way too much damage flying around . . .

Pages