The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Episode 26: La Capitan

99 posts / 0 new
Last post
Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Do we want to consider doing Ancient Library draws this turn?  Haka can put out Enduring Intercession and redirect environment damage targetted at heroes to himself - which would combo nicely with Heroic Interception.  That gets us more cards and possibly puts out monsters that chomp on La Capitan, and possibly any crew she pulls the next turn.

Also, Enduring Intercession will be a useful soak ongoing for next turn when LC flips.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

If we do that I would request the draw from Aura of vision because I will be the only one who doesn't benefit.

A couple other thoughts I had, Chrono ranger might want to put kill on sight on one of the environment targets, the sentinels might want to extract and a death worm would be awesome

cmschex
Playtester

Yeah, I was planning on Extracting and MDing Idealist this turn this turn.  Legacy can have Aura of Vision.  You are thinking to extract the environment?

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Haka

HP: 30

Hand: Vitality Surge, Haka of Restoration (x2), Enduring Intercession
In Play: Taiaha
Trash: Elbow Smash, Savage Mana (under La Capitan)
Additional n/a
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Start of Turn: Draw 2 cards; Ground Pound, Rampage; Environment plays Horrid Skunk Ape (Ancient Library)

Play:   Enduring Intercession

Power:  Taiaha; 3+2 damage to Cupacabra [1]; 3+2 (prevented) to La Capitan  (Savage Mana to trash)

Draw: Punish the Weak

End of Turn:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hand: Vitality Surge, Haka of Restoration (x2), Ground Pound, Rampage, Punish the Weak
In Play: Taiaha, Enduring Intercession
Trash: Savage Mana, Elbow Smash
Additional Effects:  Redirect any damage that would be dealt to a hero by an environment target to Haka. (Enduring Intercession)

Comment: Going with Ancient Library draw and playing Enduring Intercession combo since Heroic Interception is in play.  A risk to put a bunch of environment cards in play, but they shouldn't hurt us this turn and might help hurt La Capitan.  Might need to be dealt with next turn however, and also if they take out crew cards we get hit by retribution until LC's ongoing gets removed.

I also think the draw was worth it since Ground Pound and Rampage were acquired.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Environment play on Haka's turn is Horrid Skunk Ape: At the end of the environment turn, this card deals each target other than itself 1 melee damage.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Nope the villain so we can avoid nasty cards. Also you should get 4 powers this round. 2 on your turn (dark delusions probably won't deal damage but it will allow everyone including you to wail on her). So you would use one of the other powers other than jab on your turn and one on the scholars. Unless we aren't playing advanced in which case you only get 3 powers

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Because the sentinels said I could take the draw from aura I drew next evolution. If he decides to rescind that I will shuffle it back into my deck

cmschex
Playtester

The Sentinels

HP: Mainstay 14, Writhe 14, Dr Medico 13, The Idealist 5

Hand: Horrifying Dichotomy, Dark Delusionsx2, Restorative Burst

In Play: Caliginous Form, Aura of Vision, Sentinel Tactics

Trash: Fling Into Darknessx2, Unique Capabilitiesx2

Additional Effects:  , -1 damage taken (Mainstay), first time each turn Writhe would be dealt damage reduce by 2 and redirect to villain with highest HP, start of turn if Idealist is active 1 player may draw a card

Start of Turn: Legacy draws Next Evolution (Aura), Sentinels draw Team Comunication and Coordinated Assault (Library), play top card of Environment deck (Abomidable Snowman)

Play: Team Communication, draw Positive Energy, Good Hero Bad Hero, Coordinated Assault, Second Chance. Play Horrifying Dichotomy dealing 3+3 damage La Capitan (final card). then 3+3 damage to La Capitan, redirected to Haka (immune). 

Power:  Telekenitic Jab La Capitan for 2+2+1 damage (70), Extract to look at bottom card of villain deck, Raiding Party, discard Raiding Party

Draw: Human Shield

End of Turn:

HP: Mainstay 13, Writhe 13, Dr Medico 12, The Idealist 4

Hand: Horrifying Dichotomy, Dark Delusionsx, Restorative Burst, Human Shield, Coordinated Assaultx2, Good Hero Bad Hero, Positive Energy, Second Chance

Trash: Fling Into Darknessx2, Unique Capabilitiesx2, Dark Delusions, Team Communication

Additional Effects:   First time each turn Writhe would be dealt damage reduce by 2 and redirect to villain with highest HP, start of turn if Idealist is active 1 player may draw a card

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Environment play on The Sentinels' turn is Abominable Snowman (immune to cold, at start of environment turn deal non-environment target with second lowest HP 2 cold damage and 2 melee damage).

Extract reveals Raiding Party.

EDIT: I believe with Dark Delusions, Writhe only hits villain targets, no?

cmschex
Playtester

Let's trash the Raiding Party, editing turn to include damage to Snowman

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Not sure you saw this earlier, as we were posting at the same time: According to the text spoilers, Dark Delusions only hits villain targets, not environment targets.

cmschex
Playtester

Ach, I missed that.  In that case, I will save it and use Horrifying Dichotomy instead

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

I am forgoing the Ancient Library draw.  Next round, I can start throwing down Hunter and Hunted, so she can destroy that at the start of her turn, while I reap the sweet sweet damage bonus.

Chrono-Ranger

HP: 28

Hand: , Kill on Sight, Hunter and Hunted; Temporal Grenade

In Play: The Ultimate Target (La Capitan); Jim's Hat; NeuroToxin Dart Thrower

Trash: The Masadah; Eye on the Prize; Displaced Armory

Additional Effects: 

Start of Turn:

Play:  Kill on Sight on the Amphibious Chupacabra

Jim's Hat play:  Temporal Grenade

Power:  NeuroToxin Dart Thrower:  Amphibious Chupacabra [x].  I draw 3 cards (Temporal Grenade; Hunter and Hunted; Compounded Bow)

Draw:  Terrible Tech Strike

End of Turn:

Hand:  Hunter and Hunted (x2); Temporal Grenade; Compounded Bow; Terrible Tech Strike

In Play: The Ultimate Target (La Capitan); Jim's Hat; NeuroToxin Dart Thrower; Temporal Grenade

Trash: The Masadah; Eye on the Prize; Displaced Armory; Kill on Sight

Additional Effects:   Chrono-Ranger deals +1 damage to La Capitan.  The first time each turn that La Capitan deals damage, Chrono-Ranger may use a power (currently NeuroToxin Dart Thrower, for 3 projectile damage and -1 damage dealt)

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Last turn's draws: Flesh to Iron and "Get Out Of The Way!"

The Scholar

HP: 29

Hand: Proverbs and Axioms, Keep Moving, Alchemical Redirection, Transmutative Recovery, Solid to Liquid, Mortal Form to Energy, Flesh to Iron, "Get Out Of The Way!"

In Play:

Trash: Know When To Hold Fast

Additional Effects: 

Start of Turn: Draw Truth Seeker, Transmutative Recovery, play the top card of the environment deck.

Play: Proverbs and Axioms; each player draws (Scholar draws Keep Moving), each hero may regain 2HP or use a power.

Power:  

Draw: Grace Under Fire

End of Turn:

Hand: Keep Moving x2, Alchemical Redirection, Transmutative Recovery x2, Solid to Liquid, Mortal Form to Energy, Flesh to Iron, "Get Out Of The Way!", Truth Seeker, Grace Under Fire

In Play:

Trash: Know When To Hold Fast, Proverbs and Axioms

Additional Effects: 

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Mongolian Death Worm comes out on The Scholar's turn. I'm going to wait to see if anyone uses powers before doing the environment and villain turns.

cmschex
Playtester

Draw Horrifying Dichotomy.  Telekenitc Jab La Capitan (65).  Extract La Capitan's deck again

PlatinumWarlock

Chrono-Ranger draws Ranger's Mark and uses NeuroToxin Dart Thrower on La Capitan (61).  Her damage is reduced by 1 until the start of my next turn.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Legacy draws Lead from the Front and takes the health [27]. I considered galvanizing but it was 4 damage to me and only 3 to her. Also I can lose lead from the Front to destruction in a turn or 2 because I have another. I just want Fortitude down first

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Extract reveals Siege-Breaker. Top of deck or discard?

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Oh man, I've been forgetting about the Nemesis bonus between La Capitan and the Sentinels! It's too late to go back and fix earlier turns, but I'll be taking this into account now.

cmschex
Playtester

Top deck for our bespectacled friend, since he won't hurt us this round and there are certainly worse cards that could come out.  Any thoughts on what we want to lose this turn?  I was thinking Enduring Intercession since it will not be destroyed until after Enviro turn.  Also, Temporal Grenade on Maria Helena's Revenge this turn might be nice

Also, I'll edit Sentinels HP for Nemesis, they are just down 1 each from the first turn

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Oh, I guess that wasn't so bad with the nemeses.

There's no card destruction from La Capitan this turn: she destroys equipment or ongoing at the start of turn from her advanced effect, but flips at the end of the turn. (And you just guaranteed that she won't play a card that causes destruction.)

PlatinumWarlock

cmschex wrote:

Also, Temporal Grenade on Maria Helena's Revenge this turn might be nice 

Got it.  Consider it done. 

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

So we're just waiting on Haka to make his move for P&A then we get the environment

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Haka draws Haka of Battle.

Haka goes with Taiaha and hits La Capitan [56] and the Snowman for 5 each.

I think the environment draws worked in our favor since I think the Skunk Ape and Mongolian Deathworm will damage La Capitan during the environment phase.  Might need to trim some of them out during the next turn though before they start chewing on Sentinels or Haka.

Also, if there if we are going to want Haka to Rampage at some point we'd want to skip Galvanize that turn and/or have Heroic Interception back in effect in order to minimize the damage to heroes.  Something to keep in mind if more crew pile out in a turn or two.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

That's what I was thinking. Just let me know ahead of time and I won't Galvanize.

Also we don't have to worry about the worm because it goes away at the start of the environment turn. That leaves the snow man and the skunk ape. The ape should not be too bad and I think we have enough damage to take care of the snow man

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Humble-Knight wrote:

That's what I was thinking. Just let me know ahead of time and I won't Galvanize.

Also we don't have to worry about the worm because it goes away at the start of the environment turn. That leaves the snow man and the skunk ape. The ape should not be too bad and I think we have enough damage to take care of the snow man

Shieldbreaker is coming out, so he'll draw fire in addition to heaping more damage on LC.  Skunk Ape is 5 HP, and I hit the Snowman already, so it should be at 3 or less.  Have to see what else the environment brings out and what the total target count is at the end of the villain turn.

Might be a useful time for Haka to play Ground Pound and everyone can go full offensive on hitting LC and crew this turn.  Let LC destroy Heroic Interception this turn after she flips, and Enduring Intercession next turn. 

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

She doesn't destroy any thing this turn, because she flips at the end of her turn. Even if she did we would destroy enduring intercession first because we would be hit if we destroy HI in the start of turn. Next round works for killing EI though.

CR said he is using his grenade this turn so we have at least 3 damage from him to 2 secondary targets.

Ground pound sounds great though.

cmschex
Playtester

The Sentinels will be doing a lot of damage.  A whole lot

cmschex
Playtester

The Sentinels will be doing a lot of damage.  A whole lot

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

OK. Group can expect Ground Pound from Haka and plan accordingly.

Players can arguably do library draws as well since more monsters won't hit us this turn.  However, that pretty much guarantees need for Rampaging Haka the turn after.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

The Final Wasteland

In play: Ancient Library
Horrid Skunk Ape 5
Abominable Snowman 4
Mongolian Death Worm 8

Start of environment turn: The Abominable Snowman attempts to deal damage to Medico, but fails.
The Mongolian Death Worm deals 3 melee and 3 toxic damage to La Capitan (50) and Haka (prevented). The Death Worm is shuffled into the environment deck.

Play a card: Rat Beast

End of environment turn: The Horrid Skunk Ape deals 1 melee damage to La Capitan (49), Legacy (redirected to Haka, immune), and all the other heroes (immune).
The Rat Beast attempts to deal 4 melee damage to Haka (immune).

In play: Ancient Library
Horrid Skunk Ape 5
Abominable Snowman 4
Rat Beast 7

Trash: Amphibious Chupacabra

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Turn 4

La Capitán

HP: 49

In play: Maria Helena's Revenge

Start of villain turn: No healing.

Play a card: Siege-Breaker

End of villain turn: La Capitán flips.
La Capitán attempts to deal Haka 4 projectile damage (immune).

HP: 49

In play: Maria Helena's Revenge
Siege-Breaker 10

Under La Capitán:

Trash: Temporal Thief, "Walk the Plank!", La Paradoja Magnifica, Final Breath, Raiding Party

Additional effects: Reduce damage dealt to Siege-Breaker by 1.
(Maria Helena's Revenge) Whenever a villain target is destroyed, La Capitán deals each hero target 4 psychic damage.

HP Status: Legacy 27; Haka 30; Sentinels: Idealist 5, Medico 13, Mainstay 14, Writhe 14; Chrono-Ranger 28; Scholar 29
La Capitán 49; Siege-Breaker 10
Horrid Skunk Ape 5; Abominable Snowman 4; Rat Beast 7

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Legacy 
HP: 26
Hand:  Surge of Strength, Next Evolution, Back-Fist Strike, Fortitude, Next Evolution, Lead from the Front
In Play:Inspiring Presence, Lead from the Front, Heroic Interception
Trash: Inspiring Presence
Underneath LA: 
Additional Effects: All hero damage +2 (Inspiring Presence, Galvanize), All hero targets except Legacy are Immune to Damage
Start of Turn:  Galvanize expires, Heroic Interception is destroyed
Play:  Fortitude
Power: Galvanize
 Draw:  Danger Sense
End of Turn: 
HP: 26
Hand: Surge of Strength, Next Evolution, Back-Fist Strike,  Next Evolution, Lead from the Front, Danger Sense
In Play: Inspiring Presence, Lead from the Front, Fortitude
Trash: Inspiring Presence, Heroic Interception
Underneath LA:  
Additional Effects: All hero damage +2 (Inspiring Presence, Galvanize), Legacy has DR 1
 Standing orders: I will intercept any 1 damage hits to Heros by villain targets and any attacks on the Idealist by villain targets

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Skunk Ape did not hit Legacy - would have targetted Haka due to Enduring Intercession.

Legacy and Haka did a good job last round watching each other's back!

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Haka

Hand: Vitality Surge, Haka of Restoration (x2), Ground Pound, Rampage, Punish the Weak, Haka of Battle
In Play: Taiaha, Enduring Intercession
Trash: Elbow Smash, Savage Mana
Additional n/a

Start of Turn: Draw 2 cards; Mere, Ta Moko; Environment plays ?? (Ancient Library)

Play:   Ground Pound (discard Punish the Weak and Haka of Restoration)
PowerTaiaha; 3+2 damage to La Capitan [44]; Siege Breaker [6] (3+2-1)    
Draw: Punish the Weak

End of Turn:
Hand: Vitality Surge, Haka of Restoration, Rampage, Punish the Weak, Haka of Battle, Ta Moko, Mere
In Play: Taiaha, Enduring Intercession, Ground Pound
Trash: Savage Mana, Elbow Smash, Punish the Weak, Haka of Restoration

Additional Effects: 

a.  Redirect any damage that would be dealt to a hero by an environment target to Haka.  (Enduring Intercession)
b.  Non-hero cards cannot deal damage (Ground Pound)

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Also, does CR get a power use from LC attempting to deal damage, even if she failed to inflict damage due to target being immune?

cmschex
Playtester

I believe HP have to be reduced for damage to have been dealt

cmschex
Playtester

The Sentinels

Hand: Horrifying Dichotomy, Dark Delusionsx, Restorative Burst, Human Shield, Coordinated Assaultx2, Good Hero Bad Hero, Positive Energy, Second Chance

Trash: Fling Into Darknessx2, Unique Capabilitiesx2, Dark Delusions, Team Communication

Additional Effects:   First time each turn Writhe would be dealt damage reduce by 2 and redirect to villain with highest HP, start of turn if Idealist is active 1 player may draw a card

Start of Turn: Chrono Ranger can draw a card, Sentinels draw Team Comunication and Horrifying Dichomtomy (Library), play top card of Environment deck ?

Play: Team Communication, draw Hippocratic Oath, Telekinetic Wallop, Positive Energy, Unique Capabilities.  Play Unique Capabilities, find Durasteel Chains and put it into play.  Draw Good Hero Bad Hero.  Play Horrifying Dichotomy. Dr Medico deals 6 energy damage to La Capitan (38) Writhe deals 6 infernal damage to La Capitan (32).  Writhe extracts La Capitan's deck

Power:  Telekenitic Jab La Capitan for 5 damage (27)

Draw: Restorative Burst

End of Turn:

Hand:  Dark Delusionsx2, Restorative Burstx2, Human Shield, Coordinated Assaultx2, Good Hero Bad Herox2, Positive Energyx2, Second Chance, Hippocratic Oath, Telekinetic Wallop

In Play: Caliginous Form, Aura of Vision, Sentinel Tactics, Durasteel Chains

Trash: Fling Into Darknessx2, Unique Capabilitiesx3, Horrifying Dichotomyx2, Team Communicationx2

Additional Effects:   First time each turn Writhe would be dealt damage reduce by 2 and redirect to villain with highest HP, start of turn if Idealist is active 1 player may draw a card, Mainstay has +1 damage dealt and -1damage taken

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Oaktree wrote:
Skunk Ape did not hit Legacy - would have targetted Haka due to Enduring Intercession.Legacy and Haka did a good job last round watching each other's back!
Thanks, fixed.

Environment plays another Abominable Snowman on Haka's turn and Amphibious Chupacabra on The Sentinels' turn. Extract reveals A Motley Crew; top of deck or discard?

cmschex
Playtester

It doesn't matter either way, trash it

PlatinumWarlock

Given the fact that we have another turn without incoming damage, I'm going to hold off on the Temporal Grenade for a turn.  I can't imagine I'm going to get another turn after this one...

My draw from Aura of Vision nets me Sudden Contract

Chrono-Ranger

Hand: Hunter and Hunted (x2); Temporal Grenade; Compounded Bow; Terrible Tech Strike; Ranger's Mark; Sudden Contract

In Play: The Ultimate Target (La Capitan); Jim's Hat; NeuroToxin Dart Thrower; Temporal Grenade

Trash: The Masadah; Eye on the Prize; Displaced Armory

Additional Effects: 

Start of Turn:

Play:  Sudden Contract: I pull By Any Means on La Capitan.  La Capitan takes net 5 projectile damage (22)

Jim's Hat play:  Terrible Tech Strike:  La Capitan takes net 6 damage, then net 5 damage (11)

Power:  NeuroToxin Dart Thrower:  La Capitan takes net 5 damage (6).

Draw:  Displaced Armory

End of Turn:

Hand:  Hunter and Hunted (x2); Temporal Grenade; Compounded Bow;  Ranger's Mark; Displaced Armory

In Play: The Ultimate Target (La Capitan); Jim's Hat; NeuroToxin Dart Thrower; Temporal Grenade; By Any Means (La Capitan)

Trash: The Masadah; Eye on the Prize; Displaced Armory; Kill on Sight; Sudden Contract; Terrible Tech Strike

Additional Effects:   Chrono-Ranger deals +1 damage to La Capitan.  The first time each turn that La Capitan deals damage, Chrono-Ranger may use a power (currently NeuroToxin Dart Thrower, for 3 projectile damage and -1 damage dealt).  All damage dealt to La Capitan is at +1 (By Any Means)

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

The Scholar

Hand: Keep Moving x2, Alchemical Redirection, Transmutative Recovery x2, Solid to Liquid, Mortal Form to Energy, Flesh to Iron, "Get Out Of The Way!", Truth Seeker, Grace Under Fire

In Play:

Trash: Know When To Hold Fast, Proverbs and Axioms

Additional Effects: 

Start of Turn: Draw Solid to Liquid, Grace Under Fire, play the top card of the environment deck.

Play: Grace Under Fire on the Captain, for the win.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

cmschex
Playtester

That was a lovely bloodbath

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Beautiful. Just beautiful

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

La Capitan mopes off into a corner.

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

An example of La Capitan being less dangerous when she never gets a heavy early crew presence.  And then she got simply overwhelmed once she flipped back.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Last night on G+ we beat her down despite her having all her crew out at one point, and we were only half set up at that point

Pages