The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Completist question: Oversized Villain Cards

79 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rabit
Rabit's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: Aug 08, 2011

grysqrl wrote:

When you say "oversized" cards, I assume we're talking about all dimensions here, right? I would like my oversized cards to be 20mm thick. Do they come with a pallet jack?

Buy enough packs and a case of high-quality paper glue, and you should be set (although some assembly is required).

No pallet jack, though. This is 2015 - we get hoverboards.


"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 1 month ago
Playtester
Joined: Aug 05, 2014

Craig wrote:
arenson9 wrote:
Will there be cards in the oversize villain pack that are for decks that have not yet been released?

Yes.

VERY interesting...


Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

Mezike
Mezike's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 months ago
Joined: Nov 18, 2012

xThe Killswitch wrote:

 

Craig wrote:
arenson9 wrote:
Will there be cards in the oversize villain pack that are for decks that have not yet been released?

 

Yes.

VERY interesting...

... or maybe not, as there is the Villain mini expansion that comes with the pre-order and which has not yet been released. Oh, the ambiguity...

Craig
Craig's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 6 months ago
Admin
Joined: Apr 18, 2012

arenson9 wrote:

Apologies, my questions were not precise.

Will there be NEW promo villains in the new oversize villain pack?

What is the list of errata changes for the new oversize villain pack? Is it a couple of sentences on a couple of cards, or lots of sentences on lots of cards? How many cards are affected by the errata changes? So far I've decided not to buy the oversized villain cards. I mostly don't use them, the errata seem to be few and well known, and there won't be very many new cards. But I'm on the cusp, as it would be nice to have a complete set and to not have to worry about remembering the errata. Perhaps the best way to ask my questions are:

How many cards will be in the new villain pack?

How many of those cards are analogous to previous cards, but with errata changes?

How many of those cards are completely new cards?

Ok, we've reached the limit of what I can answer, as these are things in Christopher's mind. Unfortunately for me (and by extension, the forum), he is headed out to sail the seven seas currently. Once he gets back, hopefully he can shed some light.


Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

He joined the Navy?


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Rabit
Rabit's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: Aug 08, 2011

Pydro wrote:

He joined the Navy?

He got caught up in an annual geek migration. Luckily it's a short migration - they just loop right back again a week later...


"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Foote
Foote's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 3 months ago
PlaytesterHarmony
Joined: Apr 09, 2013

Guess that means there won't be any preorder updates any time soon. 

Craig
Craig's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 6 months ago
Admin
Joined: Apr 18, 2012

Foote wrote:

Guess that means there won't be any preorder updates any time soon. 

Or will there...


Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

mcnamara.bryan
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 4 months ago
Joined: Jun 11, 2013

Now that Craig, whom I presume is the community manager, has joined the conversation I am even more confused than before.  Can we get a more in depth reply to what a lot of customers are frustrated about?

 

Why have those whom have purchased every single bit of Sentinels been left to repurchase oversized villain cards?  Perhaps a clear explanation of the benefits of the new oversized pack will sell me and many others on it, instead of leaving us upset that we have cards that we purchased that are now worthless.

 

I'm not looking for forum members to answer this.  I'm interested in GtG staff.  Thanks!

Craig
Craig's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 6 months ago
Admin
Joined: Apr 18, 2012

The description of the oversized cards has been given multiple times now. Updated errata, a graphical update, and every villain ever to be produced. They are not a requirement to play the game, so the decision to purchase them remains with the purchaser.


Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

mcnamara.bryan
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 4 months ago
Joined: Jun 11, 2013

Craig, I invite you to read this thread.  I'll link you to where it becomes most relevant to this post on GTG forums.

 

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/18159588#18159588

 

What we want you to understand, is that there is something odd going on here.  A LOT of fans, who have created GTG with our money, if you don't mind me saying so, were under the impression that the oversized villain cards would be part of the release of new villains.  Once you purchased the original base set, new villains would include oversized cards.

 

At some point, GTG decided this wouldn't happen.  I am not alone here.  There are many fans who thought this was the case.  I, and others, would like clarification from someone who has more information on the topic.  We feel like we're getting burned in some capacity.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: May 22, 2012

Where did you get that impression?


Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Joined: Sep 14, 2013

It would be helpful if you had something from GtG specifically that states or gives the impression that they would give out Oversized villain cards for all releases.  I imagine they haven't said anything like that.


Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

 
Rabit
Rabit's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: Aug 08, 2011

mcnamara.bryan wrote:

Craig, I invite you to read this thread.  I'll link you to where it becomes most relevant to this post on GTG forums. http://boardgamegeek.com/article/18159588#18159588 What we want you to understand, is that there is something odd going on here.  

A LOT of fans, who have created GTG with our money, if you don't mind me saying so, were under the impression that the oversized villain cards would be part of the release of new villains.  Once you purchased the original base set, new villains would include oversized cards. 

At some point, GTG decided this wouldn't happen.  I am not alone here.  There are many fans who thought this was the case.  I, and others, would like clarification from someone who has more information on the topic.  We feel like we're getting burned in some capacity.

GTG has never said anything of the sort. If that assumption was put out there, it was just that: an assumption. GTG did say they originally wanted to do that, but that it wasn't cost effective to include it with the original set so once the game was successful enough, they decided to make them available.

I'm usually not one to put out strongly-worded posts, but - honestly - this pisses me off. I'm going to stop there, but because saying anything else is not going to be productive.

Short version: Just because we as a community makes an assumption, doesn't make it fact. GTG has never said anything of the sort. And if we hold something against them that we made up, it's our own fault.


"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

mcnamara.bryan
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 4 months ago
Joined: Jun 11, 2013

You know what?  Forget it.  It's fine.  I'm trying to reach out to the Publisher of this awesome game, and tell them that quite a few people don't understand what is going on.  It is up to them to either reply, try to build a bridge, or simply ignore it.  I'm not interested in battling with an obviously passionate fan base.  That is an argument we all know who will win.  I'm simply going to withhold ordering this pre order.  I'm happy with the collection up to this point, and I'll move on.

waedens
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 months ago
Playtester
Joined: Dec 01, 2012

Hmmmm.  A lot of strong emotions here. All I can say is that speaks to the strong bond that people have built with the game.  My personal experience has been that GtG has always delivered on my expectations. I know that in the past they offered an expansion of oversized cards that just had newly released villains. I know because I bought it. They may have lost money on that. I don't know. I do know that there is a lot of balls in the air right now. They may just not have time to do everything they want to.  At the end of the day I trust them to make something that I will enjoy. The oversized cards cost the price of an iMax movie ticket (at least where I live they do). If you don't think that you will get 2 hours of enjoyment out of them then don't buy them. If it costs as much as 2 tickets where you live then think of four hours and make the decision. I have already put my money down. Will I have some duplicate cards? Yes, but I am sure I will figure out how to put them to good use as prizes or gifts or even as decorations. 

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 1 month ago
PlaytesterBolster Allies
Joined: Apr 10, 2013

Wow. All this fuss over something you don't even need to play the game, which has been perfectly well explained by multiple people multiple times.

Sound a little bit to me like complaining that you bought a Ford AwesomeMegaCar two years ago but now Ford's selling the AwesomeUltraMegaCar which has go-faster stripes, and they should totally send you a brand-new AwesomeUltraMegaCar because your older model doesn't have them.

Flouncequitting over something so trivial that I've managed to play perfectly well without for years seems somewhat childish, especially over something that someone who isn't a >G employee said. It reads very much like "The forum doesn't agree with me, so I'm not going to buy any more >G things! So there!"


Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

jediunter12
jediunter12's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 4 months ago
Playtester
Joined: Feb 06, 2014

Silverleaf wrote:

Wow. All this fuss over something you don't even need to play the game, which has been perfectly well explained by multiple people multiple times.Sound a little bit to me like complaining that you bought a Ford AwesomeMegaCar two years ago but now Ford's selling the AwesomeUltraMegaCar which has go-faster stripes, and they should totally send you a brand-new AwesomeUltraMegaCar because your older model doesn't have them.Flouncequitting over something so trivial that I've managed to play perfectly well without for years seems somewhat childish, especially over something that someone who isn't a >G employee said. It reads very much like "The forum doesn't agree with me, so I'm not going to buy any more >G things! So there!"

I agree with you. I dont understand why people are getting mad over this. when a game gets a second edition or revised edition are they supposed to send you a copy of new version since you bought the first edition?

mcnamara.bryan
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 4 months ago
Joined: Jun 11, 2013

You know, sometimes you won't understand other peoples perspectives.  That's ok.  My point all along was that more than a few people were operating under a certain premise.

 

I have all my Sentinels stuff next to my office desk here at home.  I was browsing through it in the last hour or so, and I decided that I had to continue the collection.  GTG has made a beautiful product, and I'm not going to allow confusion over $15 ruin that.  So I preordered the Villains expansion and a pack of the oversized Villain cards.

 

I'm glad that's over.

Koga
Koga's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Playtester
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

I just realised what they could mean by the pack having cards for decks that have not yet been released. The villain mini expansion we get for pre-ordering VotM hasn't been released so it could very well be the one that meant, them being all cryptic about things.


Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Playtester
Joined: Nov 25, 2012

Or we're going to playtest the NEXT expansion just after this one and get the villain cards to the place they need to be. Which is ridiculous, but HUGELY EXCITING if so.


“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Playtester
Joined: Apr 10, 2012

You know what would be awesome, if you could buy the oversized cards individually through the replacement SotM card page in the store.


Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 1 month ago
PlaytesterBolster Allies
Joined: Apr 10, 2013

Matchstickman wrote:

You know what would be awesome, if you could buy the oversized cards individually through the replacement SotM card page in the store.

That is an excellent idea. That would entirely solve the problem people seem to be having.


Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

cmschex
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 3 months ago
Playtester
Joined: Feb 02, 2013

I wonder how much they would have to charge for them, though.  I'd imagine shipping would be more than a single card because of the size/bendability.  Essentially, I would imagine the cost would approach just buying the pack

Rabit
Rabit's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: Aug 08, 2011

First, I'm very sorry that I posted emotionally. My sincerest apologies. (Probably doesn't help I've been sick for the past week. )

I have a feeling selling them individually (which I would LOVE ) would be cost prohibitive from a manufacturing standpoint. They'd probably have to handle it as they have in the past: By breaking open a full set (or using a defective/damaged set, if one was available) and pulling the card(s). If they're lucky, they'll have already broken open a set and someone would need a card that was still available, but that's even less likely with something like this where there are fewer cards available.

I'd be willing to bet manufacturing a small set of these cards to fill the gaps (i.e., cards that haven't been published yet and cards that have errata) is not going to be cost effective, given that they also have to print all the old ones, anyway, for new folks who didn't acquire the old print run. This is just a more cost-effective way to manage the need.

From a business standpoint, this makes sense; from a customer standpoint, it's frustrating.

mcnamara.bryan wrote:

You know, sometimes you won't understand other peoples perspectives.  That's ok.  My point all along was that more than a few people were operating under a certain premise. 

I definitely understood your point, Bryan, and my response wasn't meant to be personal. My fundamental point was where that premise came from, that's all. I wish folks would think these things through instead of just assuming everything that's rumored is fact.

 

As a mod, my thanks to everyone for keeping this civil and honest.


"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Reckless
Reckless's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 6 months ago
PlaytesterInspiring Presence
Joined: May 17, 2012

While I'm with you on the subject, Rabit, I think this forum does have a tendency to run wild with rumor and can state something as fact when it hasn't been confirmed. It's always someone's own responsibility to check their sources, granted, but this isn't the first time there has been confusion in the ranks over "he said/she said," and I doubt it will be the last! XD

Check your sources, folks! It's just the neighborly thing to do!


Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

morph147
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 7 months ago
Joined: Jan 22, 2015

I will just throw this out there as food for thought. I used to play magic the gathering. yes getting a bunch of duplicates of something is frustrating. but its nice to have when you need them. For example I had already bought infernal relics but since i was missing rook city I ended up buying rook city/infernal relics bundle. I just took all the old infernal relics cards and put them in their box and held on to them incase something ever happens to one of my regular ones I have an replacement. So just do that with the old oversized cards. If something gets damaged on the new one and the old one is the same just pull out the old one and dont have to worry about replacing it.


My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

morph147
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 7 months ago
Joined: Jan 22, 2015

Craig wrote:

 

arenson9 wrote:
Apologies, my questions were not precise.Will there be NEW promo villains in the new oversize villain pack?What is the list of errata changes for the new oversize villain pack? Is it a couple of sentences on a couple of cards, or lots of sentences on lots of cards? How many cards are affected by the errata changes? So far I've decided not to buy the oversized villain cards. I mostly don't use them, the errata seem to be few and well known, and there won't be very many new cards. But I'm on the cusp, as it would be nice to have a complete set and to not have to worry about remembering the errata. Perhaps the best way to ask my questions are:How many cards will be in the new villain pack?How many of those cards are analogous to previous cards, but with errata changes?How many of those cards are completely new cards?

 

Ok, we've reached the limit of what I can answer, as these are things in Christopher's mind. Unfortunately for me (and by extension, the forum), he is headed out to sail the seven seas currently. Once he gets back, hopefully he can shed some light.

 

This gave me an interesting idea for a timed challenge.... everyone should go check out my idea.


My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Pages