The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Completist question: Oversized Villain Cards

79 posts / 0 new
Last post
mcnamara.bryan
Completist question: Oversized Villain Cards

Hello!

I'm trying to understand the newest Oversized Villain Card product available for pre-order.

I have every card ever released from GTG for Sentinels.  I own the oversized villain cards from before they went out of print.  There are a few villains that do not have the oversized villain treatment.  I have not done an inventory, but I know there is at least one, and probably more, villains without oversized cards.  I loved that Vengeance included the oversized cards, but a promo villain along the way did not.

The listing for the new Villains expansion does not state if it contains oversized cards.  I wonder if GTG can clarify this.

Are any other completists out there ordering the $15 oversized villain pre-order?  I need to do an inventory to understand which villains do not have oversized cards, it might only be a couple promo villains, I do not recall off the top of my head.  I'm glad the pre-order window is rather large, so we can get clarification on subjects such as this.

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

mcnamara.bryan wrote:

Hello! I'm trying to understand the newest Oversized Villain Card product available for pre-order. I have every card ever released from GTG for Sentinels.  I own the oversized villain cards from before they went out of print.  There are a few villains that do not have the oversized villain treatment.  I have not done an inventory, but I know there is at least one, and probably more, villains without oversized cards.  I loved that Vengeance included the oversized cards, but a promo villain along the way did not. The listing for the new Villains expansion does not state if it contains oversized cards.  I wonder if GTG can clarify this. Are any other completists out there ordering the $15 oversized villain pre-order?  I need to do an inventory to understand which villains do not have oversized cards, it might only be a couple promo villains, I do not recall off the top of my head.  I'm glad the pre-order window is rather large, so we can get clarification on subjects such as this.

The only villains without oversized cards atm are the Wrath of the Cosmos villains (Infinitor, Progeny, Deadline, Kagraa Warfang), the promos Agent of Gloom Spite and Skinwalker Gloomweaver and the mini-expansion Wager Master.

Villains is a Vengance style expansion so will have oversized cards.

It's currently unknown what the final expansion will be but it may include oversized villain cards as well.

Personally I'll be getting the new oversized cards and passing off my current ones to my brother who currently only has the base set.

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I ... thought... I heard that there were Oversized cards in the works for Wrath villains, but they had been delayed at the printer and would be shipped out later.

I would too like to know this. If I am going to be getting Wrath Oversized, then there is no reason for me to order the Oversized villain pack.

Lynkfox.
http://sentinelswiki.com/ The Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

http://mindwanderer.net/sotm/ - SoTM Statistics! Updated DAILY!

PM me if you're interested in playing with the Statistics Data!

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

This has been asked and answered a few times. But for those of you who missed it, I'v got you covered.

phantaskippy wrote:

Question from the update:

For anyone who is waiting on oversized cards from previous orders, you don't even need to order the new villain oversized card pack as you'll be getting it for free!

1.  Is this referring to the cards for the Villains Expansion, or the regular oversized pack, or just the content added since the first pack?

2.  Is this coming out to everyone with the new pre-order, or just those who had orders standing?

3.  Do the previous orders need cancelled, or is that automatically being done.

4.  If an order was placed for oversized cards, and the orderer does not pre-order this time, what happens?

Thanks.  

Paul wrote:

1) This is referring to the regular oversized pack.

2) This is coming for free to everyone who had orders standing for the past year plus (there are several dozen people, and they know who they are).

3) This is automatically being done. We'll send out an email to everyone who has a pending order letting them know that they'll be getting stuff.

4) You will get an envelope with the full pack of oversized villain cards once it is in print!

https://greaterthangames.com/comment/94875#comment-94875

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Aren't there also still a couple of open errata on the current oversized cards that are out there? I think that what a lot of people are after is the option to buy just the 'new' oversized cards (wotc, wager master, spite, gloomy, plus whatever the new mini expansion will be), but with a couple of errata replacement on top I doubt that it would be possible to offer them for much cheaper than $15 as >G would have to do a separate run on printing and packing just those cards (and potentially not selling all of that stock). It would be great if it was possible to do a separate extension pack, but if the difference is only going to be a few dollars then it isn't really an issue to buy the whole lot again.

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

My oversize pack has an old Matriarch errata, so beyond that I have no need to get everything else again. But I guess I can have backup copies..

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

Mezike
Mezike's picture

There's an errata on The Dreamer too isn't there?

I guess the point I'm making is that there are eight missing Oversized cards and two (?) errata, so it works $1.50 per card if you only value the ones we don't have already. I don't think it would be appreciably cheaper to buy them separately.

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

Mezike wrote:

There's an errata on The Dreamer too isn't there?

Yes, the oversized card says she deals each hero H-1 psychic damage on her flipped side where the regular card gives it as H-2.

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Actually, something else comes to mind - there could well be some more villain promo cards so for all we know there could be much more than 10 oversized cards that will be new to us!

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

This brings up a good point, though. Has there been confirmation that the typos have been corrected?

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

jsz2 wrote:

This brings up a good point, though. Has there been confirmation that the typos have been corrected?

They wouldn't do another print run with well known typos still intact. I'd hazard to guess those are fixed.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I believe that there were oversized cards with errors for Citizen Dawn & Omnitron, as well - Dawn was missing the keyword Citizen on one side; I believe Omnitron was missing the Device keyword on one side.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Those were fixed on the newer cards. Not sure about La Capitan though.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

OK. Since I got mine not straight from GtG (can't recall off-hand if it was through Noble Knight when I got my base set or from my FLGS later), I'm not sure where in the print run cycle mine come in. 

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

jffdougan wrote:

OK. Since I got mine not straight from GtG (can't recall off-hand if it was through Noble Knight when I got my base set or from my FLGS later), I'm not sure where in the print run cycle mine come in. 

Check Omnitron or Citizen Dawn, if they have Device or Citizen in their keyword then you have the second printing, if they do not have those then you have the first.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I knew that part... I just couldn't recall off-hand which it was, and didn't want to go find the briefcase with the boxes and dig them out to check.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

And don't forget La Capitan! She's supposed to redirect damage once per ROUND, not once per turn, on her flip side Advanced mode.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

mcnamara.bryan

This thread has gone a bit off topic. I read the quoted posts, and I'm not any closer to an answer.

I thought Wrath of the Cosmos owners were being sent oversized villain cards at some point, but the quoted posts do not confirm that.

Is the consensus becoming that we should order the new oversized villain cards?

I wish GTG would answer us. I have been less than impressed with the new community manager.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

That was a misunderstanding. People who are getting oversized cards are the people who have had them on order for months. They know who they are, and they've been emailed. If you didn't get an email, you're not getting them, and will need to order as usual if you want them.

>G are at Pax South right now, so it may be a little while before they are able to respond to stuff.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Krayden006
Krayden006's picture

GtG has answered.  Very clearly.  If you look at the blog post in the comments section, the second post down from Paul, it says:

In order to get the new Oversized Villain Pack for free, you have to be one of the several dozen people who ordered the Oversized Villain pack in the past year or so but were never shipped it. If you are in that category, I sent you an email last week :)

If you didn't order the pack in the last year or so, you have to pay for it.  If you don't remember whether you did or not, did you get an email from Paul about it in the last week or so?  If not, you have to pay for it.

mcnamara.bryan

That is not clear at all, in regards to my question. At some point GTG promised to provide oversized villain cards to those of use who already purchased the base set. We got them with Vengeance, and it wasn't until Wrath of the Cosmos and a few promos that the set became inomplete. Now, I am trying to understand why I have to re-purchase 10 or so villain cards in order to complete my set. It is frustrating. I don't need doubles of something and pay for it twice.

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

Hopefully they can be treated as singles replacements or something. I don't want to have to buy another Legacy deck because one card is damaged.

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Some of those 10 need replacing anyway, since they have errata.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

mcnamara.bryan

So it appears the consensus is that we should order the new oversized villain cards, even if we bought the first oversized villain pack and every expansion and promo since release.

Sounds good. Please speak up if anyone hears otherwise!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Well, in addition to the new cards and errata, all of the cards are getting a design update. So, yes, get the pack.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

waedens
Playtester

Wait, what? I didn't see anything about a design update.  What is the update all about? Are we talking new artwork or moving text around or just a new border? Spill the beans!

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

I would imagine it's making them in the same format as the V5 cards, with the picture side by side with the text, rather than the text overlaying it.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

MrLeRobot
MrLeRobot's picture
Playtester

pwatson1974 wrote:

I would imagine it's making them in the same format as the V5 cards, with the picture side by side with the text, rather than the text overlaying it.

I hope not... I kinda like having a big picture of the villain (even though it is partly covered by rule text).

MrLeRobot...

waedens
Playtester

I agree that I like the current format better than the Vengence format. I do like that the Vengence cards look different though as it makes them easy to separated from the other oversized villain cards. 

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Mezike
Mezike's picture

It might just be that Jennifer is giving them a once over, but I do hope we can have a bit more clarity once they are back from Pax South.

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Yeah, 'slight' doesn't make it sound like a huge overhaul, and the difference in orientation will make it a lot easier to tell who's Vengeance-stlye and who isn't when we have fifteen of these guys flying about.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

MrLeRobot
MrLeRobot's picture
Playtester

BlueHairedMeerkat wrote:

Yeah, 'slight' doesn't make it sound like a huge overhaul, and the difference in orientation will make it a lot easier to tell who's Vengeance-stlye and who isn't when we have fifteen of these guys flying about.

Agreed. I like the smaller picture for "smaller" scale villain (Vengeance style) and big picture for big bad guys... Probably a psychological thing...!

MrLeRobot...

VisforYoshi
VisforYoshi's picture

Another thing is on the preorder page, they say it will also include "every villain which will ever be printed (other than those which come with their own oversized cards, such as the Vengeance villains)." Will that mean if more "big" villians appear as promos and future expansion, we get those cards too? That part confused me

"A delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is bad forever"

-Shigeru Miyamoto

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

It either means that there will be large character cards included with all future (standard format) villains, or that there are no future (standard format) villains. We aren't quite sure which it is, yet.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

skoticus
skoticus's picture

Or maybe they already know all the villains they want to publish, and they'll just include them in this pack...and then we'll all just have to guess about their decks and when they'll come out for the next 15 years.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Not likely. You have no idea how much the character cards change over the course of playtesting. They wouldn't release the character cards before we've had a chance to playtest them, with the decks, and we definitely haven't done that.

-- Trajector

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

Though there might be some promos for existing villains that don't have one yet and that don't have small cards yet.

Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe

VisforYoshi
VisforYoshi's picture

Maybe they send it with any of the preordrs they recieve from the people with the oversized bundle thing

"A delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is bad forever"

-Shigeru Miyamoto

mcnamara.bryan

I'm bumping this thread because, although this group has come to some sort of conclusion, Greater than Games needs to give us feedback.

I'm a dissapointed fan, and I'm considering holding back on this preorder.  The community manager should at least talk to us.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Can you specify what you need clarification on? There have been several quotes of Paul in this thread that seemed to answer your question.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

I'm quite curious what you would like clarification on that Paul hasn't already answered.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Craig wrote:

I'm quite curious what you would like clarification on that Paul hasn't already answered.

Will there be promo villains in the new oversize villain pack?

What are the changes to previous oversize villain cards in the new set of cards?

Will there be cards in the oversize villain pack that are for decks that have not yet been released?

The last question is just for my curiousity, but the first two have direct relevance on whether or not I want to buy the oversize villain pack.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

arenson9 wrote:
Craig wrote:

Will there be promo villains in the new oversize villain pack?

What are the changes to previous oversize villain cards in the new set of cards?

Will there be cards in the oversize villain pack that are for decks that have not yet been released?

The last question is just for my curiousity, but the first two have direct relevance on whether or not I want to buy the oversize villain pack. 

Yes, "all" includes the promo cards.

The errata from older cards is being added, and there will be slight graphic design updates.

Yes.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

And there you have it.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Craig wrote:

arenson9 wrote:
Craig wrote:

Will there be promo villains in the new oversize villain pack?What are the changes to previous oversize villain cards in the new set of cards?Will there be cards in the oversize villain pack that are for decks that have not yet been released?The last question is just for my curiousity, but the first two have direct relevance on whether or not I want to buy the oversize villain pack. 

Yes, "all" includes the promo cards.The errata from older cards is being added, and there will be slight graphic design updates.Yes.

Apologies, my questions were not precise.

Will there be NEW promo villains in the new oversize villain pack?

What is the list of errata changes for the new oversize villain pack? Is it a couple of sentences on a couple of cards, or lots of sentences on lots of cards? How many cards are affected by the errata changes?

So far I've decided not to buy the oversized villain cards. I mostly don't use them, the errata seem to be few and well known, and there won't be very many new cards. But I'm on the cusp, as it would be nice to have a complete set and to not have to worry about remembering the errata. 

Perhaps the best way to ask my questions are:

How many cards will be in the new villain pack?

How many of those cards are analogous to previous cards, but with errata changes?

How many of those cards are completely new cards?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

cmschex
Playtester

I'm not the OP, but I would guess he was still asking for a definitive answer on who needs to buy this vs getting a for free.  I understand it, but for crystal clear clarification, ordering Wrath of the Cosmos did not entitle you to the Oversized Villains, correct.?  The only folks who will get this pack without having to order/pay for it are those who had previously ordered it when it was out of stock and have been waiting for it for a long time?  I know it's been answered, but I think that will at least end the questions in the thread.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Craig wrote:

arenson9 wrote:
Craig wrote:

Will there be promo villains in the new oversize villain pack?What are the changes to previous oversize villain cards in the new set of cards?Will there be cards in the oversize villain pack that are for decks that have not yet been released?The last question is just for my curiousity, but the first two have direct relevance on whether or not I want to buy the oversize villain pack. 

Yes, "all" includes the promo cards.The errata from older cards is being added, and there will be slight graphic design updates.Yes.

Man, you can tell you've been hanging around with Christopher a lot recently smiley Please may I ask a couple of precisions on Andy's questions, which I think is closer to what people would actually like to know?

Will there be promo cards included that we have not seen before, in other words totally new and as yet unrevealed villain promos, or are we by default finished with all villain promos with what we have now?

What exactly does the graphic design update entail? Any chance of a sneek peak of what this will look like so that people can make an informed decision on their potential purchase?

When we say "cards for villain decks that have not yet been released" we are specifically talking about expansions (mini, regular, mega, or other) that will not be a part of (and therefore revealed at a later date than) this pre-order for Villains and it's accompanying mini-deck expansion has finished.

Mezike
Mezike's picture

heh, ninja'd, but my precisions are still valid smiley

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

When you say "oversized" cards, I assume we're talking about all dimensions here, right? I would like my oversized cards to be 20mm thick. Do they come with a pallet jack?

Pages