The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Sentinel Tactics league in Indianapolis

104 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Sentinel Tactics league in Indianapolis

Next MEETINGs: 

• Sat, May 7, 10am
  • CANCELED Sat, May 28, 10am
  • Sat, July 9, 10am
  • Sat, August 20, 10am

Take the poll to let us know you're interested and when you'd be available:

We meet at City Market

BRING YOUR COPY OF THE GAME. I'd rather have too many than not enough.

Stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rS3MH6bRVsU_2KL80f6kqUxyj78UNen45gPo_C2Mc-o/edit?usp=sharing

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is anyone interested in forming a Sentinel Tactics league in Indianapolis?

The league would hold unofficial tournaments and use an ongoing ranking system.

I'm thinking that we would hold 3 on 3 skirmishes and that we would have a single person control all three characters. The reason that we'd have just one person control all of the characters for a side is mostly for practical purposes -- I think it unlikely that we'll have enough interest to form enough teams for a league.

I think the games would need to be self-judged. We'd have to come up with some way to settle disputes, if the rules and Spiff's FAQ were not enough. Perhaps a coin toss.

If there's at least half a dozen people who express interest, I'll move on to determining when and where we'll play and how we'll do rankings. If interested, please respond and please also note how often you think you might like to play. I'm thinking once a month would be good.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

arenson9 wrote:

We'd have to come up with some way to settle disputes, if the rules and Spiff's FAQ were not enough. 

You could have each game require three participants: Two players and one judge. The three positions could rotate, so you get in three games and each person plays two and judges one. 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

I'd be game, at least for the spring and summer. 

"To such simple minds, my advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic!"

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

I'm up for it, as long as I can make the times and locations.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Bharryn
Bharryn's picture

I'd definitely be interested, and I might be able to recruit a couple others.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I envision meeting on a Saturday, starting late morning and going to late afternoon. 

Players would be matched at random at first and by ranking later on. We'd simply play as many games as we have time for. We'd have to figure out what map to play on.

Ideally, we'd find a place with plenty of tables and comfortable chairs, good lighting, free parking, and ready access to food and drink where we could play without being disturbed by others or disturbing others. For myself, I'd also like to be able to bike there from downtown.

Best place I can think of is the Lockerbie Pub, where we used to meet for Sentinels. It only scores moderately well on some of those criteria. It opens at 11am.

How about Sat May 16th, Lockerbie Pub at 11am?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

Count me in. I'll bring my copy of Tactics.

Bharryn
Bharryn's picture

I could not do the 16th.  That is my weekend with my son, but I could do the Saturday before or the Saturday after.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Bharryn wrote:

I could not do the 16th.  That is my weekend with my son, but I could do the Saturday before or the Saturday after.

OK. Who else can/cannot make Sat May 23rd?

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

23rd is good for me.  I think, in general, a first or fourth Saturday would do well for me.  It also puts me close to my friends so I can meet him for Saturday night gaming.  I'll just have to figure out how this will affect Race Day for me.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Cropcircles
Cropcircles's picture

I could make the 16th, but I'll have to see about the 23rd, I'm not sure.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Welcome to the forums!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Cropcircles
Cropcircles's picture

laugh Thanks! I'm really hoping that I can come down for these.

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

I can do either the 23rd or the 16th. 

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Executive decision time. We're going to meet on May 23rd at Lockerbie Pub at 11am. Everybody who's got a game, please bring it. I'd rather have more than we need than fewer.

Expected attendees at this point:

Me, Bharyn (and friends?), TheJayMan, Metlarcturus, Cropcircles (maybe)

The more the merrier. Please give a shout if you're planning to join us.

wh17m4n
Playtester

Andy, sounds like fun. I am free the 23rd, and will be there.

Also, kudos at getting me to post in the forum!

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Whoa! Look at that stranger!

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

wh17m4n wrote:

Andy, sounds like fun. I am free the 23rd, and will be there.Also, kudos at getting me to post in the forum!

Yay!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

When we meet, what board should we use for our matches?

I'm thinking it would be fun if we settled on a particular configuration that all matches that day used, though I'm open to doing it differently.

I figure we'll change the board we use for each meetup.

If we want to simply assign someone the task of coming up with an arrangement of tiles for a particular meetup, I don't mind having the responsibility, but am also happy to defer to others.

Bharryn
Bharryn's picture

Do we want to come up with a custom arrangement or use a set up from the comic books?

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Bharryn wrote:

Do we want to come up with a custom arrangement or use a set up from the comic books?

Doesn't matter to me. I suppose a setup from the comic book has the advantage that we can easily refer to it when doing our setup.

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

It makes sense for everyone to use the same map each time, but I thought it would be neat to have it as part of the drafting process. Before bans and drafts, players could take turns setting hexes into a predefined map shape. 

But going with "everyone plays the same map," maybe players could each submit a map design, then have the group choose one randomly each session. 

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Or have everyone involved in building one map, then replicate it for all matches? (I'm not going to be there - just throwing out thoughts for consideration, so feel free to ignore. smiley)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Bharryn
Bharryn's picture

Given that the official tournaments are leaning towards less cover, if we use a comic book map, I would suggest that we us a map with minimal cover.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Bharryn wrote:

Given that the official tournaments are leaning towards less cover, if we use a comic book map, I would suggest that we us a map with minimal cover.

I don't think we can count on what we've seen in previous tournaments necessarilly being what we see in future tournaments.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

metlarcturus wrote:

It makes sense for everyone to use the same map each time, but I thought it would be neat to have it as part of the drafting process. Before bans and drafts, players could take turns setting hexes into a predefined map shape.

This sounds fun. Perhaps each team places a tile until one person chooses not to place a tile, then the other team can either place one more tile or stop. We'd have to figure out how to determine who places first and who chooses which tile to start on in what order.

Another idea: We take turns designing a map for the day. Keep a record of who has designed maps most often. Whoever's done it the least gets to design today's map. For ties, roll dice! 

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I'd like to devise a text-based way to record what map we're using. How about:

* All tiles are oriented so there is a flat edge facing north.

* The tiles will be described in a series of rows. Each tile will have a position (1, 2, 3, etc representing the order, left to right, in the row), an identifier (ME3, IP6, etc. where ME is Megalopolis, IP is Insula Primalis, and the number identifies which tile of that set is being used), and an orientation (A-F, where A means the arrow for the tile is pointing north, B means north east, C means south east, D means south, E means south west, and F means north west).

* Position 1 of the second row of tiles will be the tile that is between positions 1 and 2 of the first row of tiles. Position 1 of the third row of tiles will be due south of position 1 of the first row of tiles.

* If there is no tile in a position, use NONE

For example, an all insula primalis board arranged as seven tiles forming a circle might be:

Row1: 1NONE, 2IP7A, 3IP4C; Row2: 1IP3F,2IP5A,3IP2D; Row3: 1NONE, 1IP8E, 2IP1B

(NOTE: I don't have the actual tiles in front of me, so don't know what this map would actually look like)

Not entirely sure how useful this would be. I was thinking it would be interesting for stats purposes to see what kinds of results we get on different maps, but given the difficulty in envisioning what these maps look like, I'm not sure how useful it would actually be.

Bharryn
Bharryn's picture

arenson9 wrote:

metlarcturus wrote:

This sounds fun. Perhaps each team places a tile until one person chooses not to place a tile, then the other team can either place one more tile or stop. We'd have to figure out how to determine who places first and who chooses which tile to start on in what order. Another idea: We take turns designing a map for the day. Keep a record of who has designed maps most often. Whoever's done it the least gets to design today's map. For ties, roll dice! 

I like this idea, but I feel like there should be a minimum map size.  The alternative would be a possibility that a map could end up being 1 or two tiles.  I don't think it is necessary for maps to be huge, but I think at least a 4 tile minimum.

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

I like the idea of a text-based map notation, but I'd write it a little differently. I like "Pr" for Insula Primalis and "Me" for Megalopolis, and a two letter abbreviation for the facing. So your theoretical map would look like this:

Row1: - -  Pr7No Pr4Se

Row2: Pr3Nw Pr5No Pr2So

Row3: - -  Pr8Sw Pr1Ne

Also, while a one-tile map would be an interesting strategic conundrum, I agree with Bharryn that a minimum map size is a good idea. 

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

New notation: Like

Minimum map: Not sure .... I mean, have you tried playing on a one tile map? Maybe it's boring, but ... maybe it's interesting? It will certainly inform which characters are chosen. Imagine getting out Champion bot on a one tile map. Imagine if that tile is the volcano and you have Absolute Zero's ability to ignore hazard spaces.

As for how to determine starting tiles, current tournament rules are 1st ban & choose starting locations <OR> 1st draft & 1st move. I think we should expand/alter the definition of 'choose starting location' to mean that you get to chose _BOTH_ of the tiles that the teams start on, as well as placing the first tile.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Not sure these are better, but I was wondering if there were ASCII characters we could use for the six facings that LOOK like those six facings. Here's the best I came up with. If you can't tell which is which, they fail:

/\ \/ \. /^ ./ ^\  

Row1: - -  Pr7/\ Pr4\.

Row2: Pr3^\ Pr5/\ Pr2\/

Row3: - -  Pr8./ Pr1/^

Nah. Don't think I like those better

Bharryn
Bharryn's picture

I know it is a lot of numbers, but we could aslso use notation by the number pad.

so it woud look like:

1. Me1-1   2. Ip3-7    3. Ip7-9

4. none     5. Me5-2  6. Ip6-3

etc...

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Please let me know if you'd prefer to play at Lockerbie Pub, as we've currently planned, or in the Factulty/Staff lounge of my building (Informatics/IT - ICTC) on the IUPUI campus (SW corner of West & Michigan St.).

Advantages of Lockerbie: Free parking. You can buy food and drink. You all can be there and play whether I'm there or not. I don't have to reserve the space.

Advantages of of the Faculty/Staff loung of my building at IUPUI: Good lighting. Quiet. Good tables and chairs. Won't be sharing the space with anyone. You won't be _expected_ to buy any food/drink.

Parking on the IUPUI campus costs money and may be a bit of a hike. I actually don't know much about where you can park w/out a permit. Looking at http://www.parking.iupui.edu/Visitors/VisitorHome.aspx, it looks like there are no meters anywhere near the IT, which is unfortunate as the meter rate is $0.75/hour, while the garages are $4 for the first hour. Visitors can apparently park in the garage on the north side of Michigan St. closest to the IT/ICTC building. I think you might also be able to find some free street parking along Indiana Ave.

EDIT: There is a special rate of $6 listed for the Law School, which has parking in an underground garage and is located due south of the IT/ICTC building. Not sure if that is per hour or per day or what.

Bharryn
Bharryn's picture

I'm fine with either location.  Unless they removed them since I graduated, there are metered spaces in front of the Law School.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Bharryn wrote:

I'm fine with either location.  Unless they removed them since I graduated, there are metered spaces in front of the Law School.

Indeed. Just checked. Four metered spaces next to ICTC. Six spaces next to the Law school. Eleven more spaces on the far side of the lot next to ICTC. Hopefully there won't be many other people using them on a Saturday. People would have to deal with bringing a bunch of change and worrying about feeding the meter.

Bharryn
Bharryn's picture

arenson9 wrote:

Bharryn wrote:

Indeed. Just checked. Four metered spaces next to ICTC. Six spaces next to the Law school. Eleven more spaces on the far side of the lot next to ICTC. Hopefully there won't be many other people using them on a Saturday. People would have to deal with bringing a bunch of change and worrying about feeding the meter.

The same is probably true of Lockerbie.  The meters are not free on Saturdays anymore.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Bharryn wrote:

The same is probably true of Lockerbie.  The meters are not free on Saturdays anymore.

Are you saying you think it costs money to park at Lockerbie Pub? It does not. They have a modest-sized parking lot. Just in case, please note that I'm talking about the pub at the corner of College and Michigan, not the apartments near the IUPUI campus.

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

I''d cast my vote for the pub, though I'd be fine with either location. Just as long as you think the noise level and table space wouldn't keep us from playing.

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

I may come as well. Either place is fine for me, I also have a parking pass for IUPUI since my brother is a student there.

Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe

Bharryn
Bharryn's picture

arenson9 wrote:

They have a modest-sized parking lot. 

I did not know that.  I learned something today :)

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Friendly reminder that we're meeting next Sat. I will put logistics in the first post.

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

Spectacular! I'm looking forward to trying some different teams, maybe testing some characters that don't see regular play. 

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Final reminder. Sat 11am. Details in 1st post.

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

Lockerbie pub is closed, so we have moved a few blocks West to the Rathskellar. Join us! 

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Good meetup! More later when I have some time.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I've created a Google spreadsheet to record results of games and calculate both a leaderboard (currently by player record, but eventually by player ranking) and a ranking of which characters are chosen most often during ban/draft.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rS3MH6bRVsU_2KL80f6kqUxyj78UNen45gPo_C2Mc-o/edit?usp=sharing

Opinions on what should/shouldn't be recorded for each game? Shown on the leaderboard? Let me know. 

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

We decided for our next meet up that we would take polls of which Saturdays people are available, so for now I'll be sending out a poll covering about three months at a time.

PLEASE FILL OUT this poll so I know when to schedule the next meetup: http://doodle.com/pekdb8d5icszgdhu

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

We want to gather our league rules that differ from official tournaments and then make a handy reference guide of them.

Rules:

• The board - The player that chooses to ban first gets to place a tile first. Players take turns placing contiguous tiles. After one player decides to stop placing tiles, the other player may place one tile. There must be at least four tiles.
  • Starting locations - The player that drafts first chooses which two tiles will be used for starting locations. There must be at least one other tile between these two tiles. The other player chooses which of the two tiles their characters will start and places those characters anywhere on that tile. The other player than places their characters anywhere on their own starting tile.
  • Choosing which player gets to decide whether to ban first or draft first - Instead of a coin flip, each player rolls a die. High roll gets the choice. If there's a tie, roll again.

Resulting order of ban/draft/starting locations:

• Roll off to determine 1st ban/1st tile vs 1st draft/1st move
  • Place tiles
  • Ban and Draft
  • Choose starting tiles
  • Hand out turn tokens
  • Choose hidden starting powers and place characters
  • Reveal power cards
  • Roll movement
  • Turn 1

These are all open to discussion. In particular we're not sure what the best way to determine starting locations is and when that should occur in the order above.

(NOTE: Edited to change when movement is rolled, per Spiff's Tactics FAQ)

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

We had five in attendance for our first meetup. Having a small group was actually quite nice, as we could come to consensus pretty easily about such things as figuring out who places characters first, or what to do about the fact that the Pub we planned to play in was closed.

Yup, that's right, it's advertised hours weren't very accurate. We solved the problem by walking a couple of blocks to The Rathskellar and then playing in their beer garden. Not an ideal spot (loud, crowded, wind occassionally blowing cards, worrying about chits falling through the slats of the tables, unrelenting sun), but it was actually pretty great overall. When not distracting, the music and crowds were fun. I enjoyed the sunshine and great temps. The wind was only rarely a problem. The beer was great.

Still, we decided to try the City Market for our next meetup. It has the potential to be fantastic. We're hoping there will be lots of free tables on a Saturday afternoon. It's indoor. There's lots of great food options. Parking will cost money and might on some dates be problematic. I doubt there's any alcohol to be purchased, though I'm not sure I care. We'll see. 

Anyway, a small group was nice. Having an odd number was, I imagine, annoying for those who had to wait to play. I got lucky and didn't have that occur, though I think that the occassional break might be welcome, and the person who had to sit out the first game took advantage of that to get some food.

I can't speak to the games the others played. With no spectators watching everything and the game not being recorded, it's a bit hard to get a sense of the games as a whole. I know Proletariat came out in a couple of games and I gather was effective, but I was not in either of those games. I got to see Visionary (combined with Legacy) cause me a great deal of trouble in my first game 1-3 loss. I had chosen Operative as my last pick thinking that I would pull Visionary to the other side of the board, away from Legacy's support and away from Omnitron's reach, but after I realized that Legacy could just take Visionary's place, I wasn't as keen to try that. A fizzled Fission Blast and not-so-focused Focused Blast certainly didn't help my team's cause, but I think I lost that game primarily in the ban/draft.

I was much more keen about my 13.5 min, single round, 3-0 win. Tachyon did all the things, Bunker fired all the guns, and The Operative got off a 7-die attack to get three successive incaps. It was after that game that we collectively decided to add the rule about starting tiles not being adjacent. I also really enjoyed using Blood, Sweat, and Tears in my middle game. They weren't exceptionally effective (though they did just fine, inflicting some damage and drawing fire), but it was just great to get them on the table.

Bharryn
Bharryn's picture

arenson9 wrote:

Rules:Starting locations - The player that drafts first chooses which two tiles will be used for starting locations. There must be at least one other tile between these two tiles.

With only four tiles, there is a possibility this would not be possible.  How do we want to address that?  Should placement resume until this is possible or should it be permissible to have adjacent starting tiles if it is not possible to have one intervening tile?

Bharryn
Bharryn's picture

I played in two very tight games, and finished 1-1 on the day.  Both games were 3-2 and likely would have swung the other direction if they had continued to another turn.

In my first game, Operative, Omnitron, and Wraith squared off against my team of Beacon, Unity, and Proletariat.  Proletariat was my MVP, relying heavily on Beacon's Bolstering Team-up to get an extra action, he incapped Omnitron twice.  Omnitron may have a lot of life he does not last long when four proletariats unleash upon him. However, a beserking Operative snatched a come from behind victory for my opponent.

My second match up pitted Dawn, Ra, and Ambuscade versus my team of Beacon, Proletariat, and Operative.  I fell behind 2-0 when hack and slash managed to get off a strong attack against three proletarians.  However, I made a very strong comeback when Operative scored a double incap taking out Ambuscade and Ra in a single turn and a newly revived Proletariat stood up moved to Dawn, split and then double attacked her for a come from behind win.

Pages