The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Sentinel Tactics league in Indianapolis

104 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Bharryn wrote:

arenson9 wrote:
Rules:Starting locations - The player that drafts first chooses which two tiles will be used for starting locations. There must be at least one other tile between these two tiles.

With only four tiles, there is a possibility this would not be possible.  How do we want to address that?  Should placement resume until this is possible or should it be permissible to have adjacent starting tiles if it is not possible to have one intervening tile?

Hmm ... I think it's always possible actually. I don't see a way for four tiles to all be touching each other.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Bharryn
Bharryn's picture

arenson9 wrote:

Bharryn wrote:
 arenson9 wrote:
Rules:Starting locations - The player that drafts first chooses which two tiles will be used for starting locations. There must be at least one other tile between these two tiles. 

With only four tiles, there is a possibility this would not be possible.  How do we want to address that?  Should placement resume until this is possible or should it be permissible to have adjacent starting tiles if it is not possible to have one intervening tile?

Hmm ... I think it's always possible actually. I don't see a way for four tiles to all be touching each other.

I played around with it, and you are correct.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Haven't seen anyone but me take the poll yet. Link is in the first post on this thread.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Blossercubbles
Blossercubbles's picture

I've only played the game half of a time, but I'd be interested in playing more. I also now live in Indianapolis, which could make this easier! While I'm likely not the most fearsome target when it would come to tournaments, I suppose it doesn't hurt to throw in a hat.

I fall up the stairs.

"Right, Left, Right, Left! Chu! Chu! Chu!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Blossercubbles wrote:

I've only played the game half of a time, but I'd be interested in playing more. I also now live in Indianapolis, which could make this easier! While I'm likely not the most fearsome target when it would come to tournaments, I suppose it doesn't hurt to throw in a hat.

Great! If you haven't already, please go to the first post and follow the link to let us know when you're available.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I've picked Sat, June 20th for our next meetup.

We'll be at City Market

10am sound like a good start time? (City Market opens at 8am on Saturdays)

City Market is kinda a big place. Let's look for each other on the balcony area overlooking the food stalls.

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

Spectacular! Are we sticking with the build-as-you-go maps, or do we want to come up with a flavor of the month? I wouldn't mind the latter, especially if we means we can use printed 3D terrain.

Also, Blosser, we're not really tournament caliber (yet...), but it is fun to try new things!

"To such simple minds, my advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic!"

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

If someone wants to design a map, I'm happy to support trying out a flavor of the month this time.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

I put my vote in for the 27th. I apologize for not responding sooner, but this is the first time in a while that I'm not incredibly busy. However, if it must be the 20th, I believe I can try to make it work.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

TheJayMann wrote:

I put my vote in for the 27th. I apologize for not responding sooner, but this is the first time in a while that I'm not incredibly busy. However, if it must be the 20th, I believe I can try to make it work.

20th was the only day that all three of the first three to respond could make it, so I think we'll leave it to 20th. Hope you can make it.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

In the course of evens that transpired last night, now both the 20th and 27th are just as open for me. So I can make the 20th with no problem.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

I'll submit a map for consideration!

DANGER VALLEY!

Row1:      Me2Sw Pr5No

Row2: Me4No Me8Ne Me3No

Row:        Pr6So Me1Sw

Here's a topograph!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sure. It has interesting corridors.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Friendly reminder. Game this Sat at 10am at City Market. See first post for links.

ALSO, I encourage people to continue using the Doodle poll in the first post. If you've already filled it out, I think you can return to make updates. That will help as I figure out future dates.

Blossercubbles
Blossercubbles's picture

My availability can be erratic, as I might be needed at my store with little prior notice, so it's a toughie to tell weeks in advance what and when works for me, but, I'm happy to try and accomodate any dates that do come up!

It's even possible I could crash this upcoming tomorrow land!

I fall up the stairs.

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

(I enjoyed that movie a lot.)

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

I believe it's obvious now that I won't make it at 10am, as it is 10am now. However, I still plan to make it within the next couple hours.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

NEXT meetup will be Aug 15, 10am at City Market. (Details are also in first post).

We had a good time, though a small turnout -- three at first with TheJayMann joining us later. So, only got a total of three matches in, but still a good time. City Market turned out to be a great place to meet. Plenty of tables and quiet and food and drink for those interested.

We are hoping to get the word out at GenCon and generate some more interest. Still, even with a small group I'm having a great time with these.

I'll put a link to the stats in the first post. Dawn is the only character to have been banned or picked in every match.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ian, GtG say that while a flyer at the booth probably wouldn't work out, one at the side room, where the actual Tactics tournament probably would. Want to create a draft?

How many? How expensive will printing be?

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I've created a FB group to help spread the word about the league. Please come join it. I will continue to post announcements here as well:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/379144565607884/

I am also going to add something to Meetup.com

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

I likely will not attend August 15th, as that collides with Indy Table Top Saturdays (occuring the third Saturday of the month), unless it gets rescheduled (sometimes other events cause it to occur on the second or forth Saturday of the month).

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Just fyi, Ian's working on a flyer we hope to hand out at Gencon to spread the word about our Aug 15th meetup.

I've also gotten a couple of RSVPs from the Indy Tabletop meetup group, which graciously allowed me to post our event.

So, I'm hopeful that we'll end up getting a few more people in attendance who might not have heard of us before.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Friendly reminder that we're still doing this thing starting at 10am. Hoping to get some new players coming off of GenCon. Who's planning to join us?

I will actually probably not be there until after noon, due to a conflict, but Ian will be there at 10am.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I was thinking I would be out of town on the 15th, but now that I look, my flight is at 2:20 PM. Maybe I could get in a game or two before my flight.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

dpt wrote:

I was thinking I would be out of town on the 15th, but now that I look, my flight is at 2:20 PM. Maybe I could get in a game or two before my flight.

Come on down! We do timed games, so you don't have to worry about a game lasting too long.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I was pleased to welcome three new players this past Saturday to the league. Our group is still quite small, so we had just two regular games before I showed up as the sixth person, and then we decided to break from the normal plan and actually run a 3 vs 3 game. 

The volcano played a _huge_ role in that game. Blade, after being pumped up by Legacy, charged across the board to the lip of the volcano in order to one-shot Omnitron with a Fission Blast, but Omnitron stood up the next turn and dragged Blade through the lava, incapacitating him back. Ambuscade set off a stack of traps that caught both Dawn and Legacy. Dawn and Legacy had their chances for retribution, but made poor choices, in retrospect about whether or not to aim.

Updated stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rS3MH6bRVsU_2KL80f6kqUxyj78UNen4...

NEW POLL. Very important -- please put in which dates you are available for Sep through Dec: http://doodle.com/y4zyfagrb7y2b4eh

I will try to pick about one a month.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Upcoming dates chosen: 

Sat Oct 10

Sat Nov 7

Sat Dec 5

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

I won't be able to make the December meetup.  I will be on vacation that weekend.  Also, I just noticed that I accidentally confirmed in in the poll.  I have updated the poll.  Honestly, though, I'm not sure if I can make it any day in December, so I may just have to skip that month, no matter which day you wish to make it.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hey, folks!

Just a reminder that we've got a meetup this coming Saturday. Please give a shout if you plan to make it. Walkups also welcome.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

We had such a good time today!

There were only two of us, but with the new maps and minions figures and particulary with the playtest characters (thanks again, Russ!) we just had a really great time reading through all the characters and powers together and playing a couple of ridiculous skirmishes on Mars and in Dawn's Base.

Don't want to say anything about the new characters that I'm not supposed to share, so I'll just say that it was super fun and we both are now really, really stoked to get the official versions of the new characters. There were lots of cool abilities and really cool combinations.

No additional official stats from this meetup, as we didn't actually ban/draft, just picked characters we thought would be fun.

Hope to see folks next time. Next event is Nov 7th.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Just a friendly reminder that there's a meetup this Sat at 10am at City Market. Who's planning to be there?

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I'll be able to make it! I'll be coming up from Bloomington. Looking forward to it!

How big is the City Market? Will it be obvious where to meet? I know I'll recognize Andy, at least.

EDIT: I'll be a little more than half an hour late.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Only three of us yesterday , but we had a great time.

With just three of us, we decided to focus on checking out the playtest characters rather than doing ban/draft games. Dylan had brought maps from the GenCon 2015 Tactics tournament. Bharyn had his awesome buildings. I'd brought my dice trays. We had the playtest characters that Russ printed and prepped. It was great!

It was a bit odd working out how to have three of us playing a single game. We settled on Ian controlling a side of three characters and Dylan and I on the other team with Dylan controlling two and me controlling one. Then, for our second game Ian and I switched places, so, we played two games and collectively managed four characters each. 

I'm not sure if I enjoyed it more in the game where I controlled one character or the game where I controlled three! Controlling all three characters oneself is a really great way to come up with tactics that involve multiple characters, but it's a lot to juggle at once, particularly when playing new characters, and particularly with the three I was managing.

After Ian took off, Dylan and I had time for another game. Dylan was keen to play a scenario and I couldn't resist the siren call of getting to see the Underboss minis in play, so we played the Operative scenario. I had the advantage, having played it once before, and was able to lead my thugs to victory, despite three of my Underbosses being incapacitated.

We discussed a little bit the future of the league. Obviously, interest is low, but Ian and I agreed that as long as we were enjoying getting together to play there was no reason to stop. We also talked about what we might do for Who's Yer Con. More about that in its own thread.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

New poll available for Jan-Apr, 2016

http://doodle.com/poll/dn23wbfv8xqh4yx6

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

arenson9 wrote:

New poll available for Jan-Apr, 2016 http://doodle.com/poll/dn23wbfv8xqh4yx6

Friendly reminders:

• Please fill out the poll
  • Meetup this coming Saturday, Dec 5th. Who's planning to be there?

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Just Ian and I at the last meetup. Had a good time playtesting a scenario for one of the Minions Maps.

This 'league' has devolved into mostly Ian and I showing up and playing whatever we feel like -- scenarios lately. We keep having fun so we plan to keep doing it. Y'all are welcome to join us.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Friendly reminder: Meet up this Sat, 10am at City Market.

Who's coming?

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ian can't make it, so if anyone else plans to attend, please let me know ASAP.

Please PM me or send email:

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Who's in this coming weekend?

It's probably the last meetup before the tournament at Who's Yer Con and I'd love to get in some practice.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Hmm, it's tempting, but transport from Bloomington might be an issue. (I'm carless this weekend.) I'll investigate.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

dpt wrote:

Hmm, it's tempting, but transport from Bloomington might be an issue. (I'm carless this weekend.) I'll investigate.

Ok. Please let me know! Ian can't make it.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

OK, I'm canceling this. At least, I'm not going to make it. With Ian also out, there will likely be no one else there. JUST TOO BUSY this weekend.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Too bad! Confluence of bad timing here.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

New poll is up. Please let us know when you can make it.

http://doodle.com/poll/5gtfcee9dbise328

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Meetings set for May-Aug. Next one is Sat, May 7, 10am at City Market

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I won't be able to make the one in May, but hope to make some of the other summer meetings.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Meetup this Saturday the 7th!

Blossercubbles
Blossercubbles's picture

I'll see if I can convince the fiance to play Tactics for our last weekend in Indy. Somehow I've managed to pretty much never play any games this whole year with new people.

I fall up the stairs.

Blossercubbles
Blossercubbles's picture

We're in! The two of us will be down in the morning!

I fall up the stairs.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

We had a fun today. Just four of us. We played through the first two Omintron scenarios. I managed to always be on the losing team ...

Pages