The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Your favorite card sequences or interactions?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
sindyr
Your favorite card sequences or interactions?

This is one of my favorite SotM sequences:

• You have America’s Greatest Legacy (AGL) and Argent Adept(AA) in play.
  • In AGL’s hand you have
  • Motivational Charge (power: 1 target 2 melee dmg and heal all heroes for 1 health)
  • The Legacy Ring (AGL may use an additional power)
  • AA has:
  • In play: Alacritous Subdominant (Harmony perform: 1 player may play 1 card now)
  • In play: Telamon’s Lyra (Power: Activate 1 Harmony perform and 1 Rhythm accompany)
  • In hand: Inventive Preparation (Rhythm accompany: 1 player (not AA) may play 1 card now)

It is AGL’s turn. The sequence:

• AGL plays Legacy’s Ring
  • AGL uses his own innate power to heal AA for 1 health and then let AA use a power
  • AA uses the Lyra’s power to
  • Use Alac’s perform to play a card himself, playing InventPrep.
  • The use the accompany of the newly player InventPrep to let Legacy play a card
  • Legacy chooses to play Motivational Charge
  • …and since the ring is still saying he can use another power, he now activates Motiv.Charge

Love that sequence.

Also love this one:

• AGL in play with Takedown out from his last turn.
  • Dark Visionary(DV) in play with Mental Divergence also in play.
  • AA is also in play in sequence after AGL. (AGL plays before AA every round.)
  • AA currently has the ability to let another hero play a card, either through
  • AlacSubdom
  • Or InventPrep and the Lyra/Xu’s Bell/SilverShadow

Here is the sequence:

• Start of AGL’s turn. Takedown gets moved to Trash
  • AGL plays any card
  • For AGL’s power, he uses his innate to let DV use a power
  • She uses Mental Divergence to put the Takedown from the Trash back onto the top of his deck.
  • AGL’s turn end, therefore he draws a card – Takedown!
  • During AA’s turn, AA uses one of his methods to have Legacy play a card – Takedown!
  • Repeat each round

Using this method, AGL can prevent most villains from ever playing a card! Ever! And since Takedown is being played out of turn, it’s cost (2 energy damage) never has to be paid.

What especially super awesome is playing in the Ruins of Atlantis when the Atlantean Font of Power or Pillars of Hercules comes up – which usually means that the heroes gets LOTS of extra card plays while the villain typically gets NONE. Good times.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I don't have a specific one to mention, but ...

... based on what folks were writing in another thread, I played a game w/ Greatest Legacy, Team Leader Tachyon, Scholar, Argent Adept, and Santa Guise.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! That was silly.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

AA and Scholar

Vernal Sonata to let everyone stack the top of their deck, then use Subdominant or Inventive Preparation to have Scholar play Don't Dismiss Anything. Up to five planned card-plays all at once.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Multiple Don't Dismiss Anythings in one turn, or playing a card that lets you play a card off an out of turn card play.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

mwc146 wrote:

AA and ScholarVernal Sonata to let everyone stack the top of their deck, then use Subdominant or Inventive Preparation to have Scholar play Don't Dismiss Anything. Up to five planned card-plays all at once.

oooOOOooo!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

arenson9 wrote:

I don't have a specific one to mention, but ... ... based on what folks were writing in another thread, I played a game w/ Greatest Legacy, Team Leader Tachyon, Scholar, Argent Adept, and Santa Guise. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! That was silly.

Tonight four of us played GI Legacy, Scholar, Prime Wardens AA, and Santa Guise. At one point I had out all six instruments and had used five powers on the same turn. We were in the Enclave of the Endlings and Slamara came out, causing the villain and each hero to play the top card of their deck.

Scholar played Proverbs and Axioms. Santa Guise gave us all presents. GI Legacy gave Santa Guise an HP and a power user, so Santa Guise had AA flip his presents. That led to a whole series of cards, including multiple Instrumental Conjurations, Polyphoric Flares, Silver Shadows, and Arcane Cadence. I was able to use Arcane Cadence to put Silver Shadow on the bottom of the deck so that a later Polyphoric Flare present allowed AA to use his base power to play Silver Shadow off the bottom of the deck and use Silver Shadow to play another Polyphoric Flare out of AA's hand. After all that resolved, AA then took his turn with Proverbs and Axioms and set off the Lyre/Harp/Inspring Supertonic Chain.

All on the environment turn.

I thought those shenanigans were fun in the digital version, but they were even better with the visceral play of feeling and seeing all the cards and powers get played and used.

JimB
JimB's picture

Probably my favorite interaction is Plague Rat's "Infection" + Mister Fixer's "Jack Handle;" watching Fixer channel his chi into pushing rabies onto the end of a long stick and beat the crap out of all the bad guys with it never stops being funny to me. Seriously, it always makes me laugh. I'm laughing right now.

In a related vein, Plague Rat's "Infection" + Ra's "Imbued Flame" and "Flesh of the Sun God." It seriously limits the amount of harm Plague Rat can do, and is objectively better for the party than the Mister Fixer combo I mentioned, but it's just less fun to pull off.

Mister Fixer's "Driving Mantis Style" or Guise's "Total Beefcake" + Baron Blade's "Backlash Field" can make me smile, because under theoretical conditions, Baron Blade could attack the hero(es), become the target of his own attack, take damage from his attack, and have his own counterattack hit himself.

If Sky-scraper uses her "Micro-Assembler" on Legacy, he can use his power phase to pull out "'the Legacy Ring'" and put it into play, thereby immediately gaining a second power use, which makes my heart smile even if it's only useful once; maybe twice, if something destroys the ring.

Kupo.

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

JimB wrote:

In a related vein, Plague Rat's "Infection" + Ra's "Imbued Flame" and "Flesh of the Sun God." It seriously limits the amount of harm Plague Rat can do, and is objectively better for the party than the Mister Fixer combo I mentioned, but it's just less fun to pull off.

Put a Twist the Ether on the Rat, too, and you've basically already won.

And for 'make the villain hit himself' shenanigans, Sky-Scraper's Compulsion Cannister is the best. Particularly for villains that like to buff themselves, like Iron Legacy.

Honestly, Compulsion Cannister might be my favorite card in her deck. For added fun, put it on the villain's nemesis for the extra damage, or hit Mr. Fixer with it with either the Jackhandle (two global, irreducible attacks? Yes please) or Dual Crowbars (First shot will hurt a little, but again, irreducible damage to up to three villain targets, with boosts).

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I once got halfway through trying to figure out how much DDA shananigans was possible in a round, making sure the round was repeatable, and eventually quit around the 7th DDA because I had a headache, it really wasn't that far in, but I can't be sure I didn't miss something.

Key heroes:

Adept  (Vernal and massive out of turn stuff)

Tempest  (Reclaim is better than Vernal)

Scholar  (DDA)

Captain Cosmic (Dynamic Syphon is super important)

AG/FV Legacy (card play or power use)

Guise:  can replace Legacy if base Adept is used and you make sure to feed him "I can do that too".

Using your melody cards to give you extra powers with syphon, lots of silver shadows and careful timing of when to play cards and keeping track of all cards currently in play during the massive shenanigans is not something my brain is good at, esp. when I needed to return the game state to an exploitable state every time Adept finished a ridiculous chain.

Fixed point ads about 175 layers of ridiculousness (since you don't need to recover and play Syphon or worry about Alacritous destruction) but that isn't sustainable so no.

Also remember if anyone wants to figure it our to make sure take down is involved so the villain can't destroy things.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

I've always been fond of the Isothermic Transducer + Twist The Ether + Fixed Point combo, which is pretty much the only way to deal an arbitrarily large amount of damage in the game.  

But my true favorite combination is the one I used in the Max Damage thread.  Isothermic Transducer + Coolant Blast x2 + Dynamic Syphon  + Fixed Point + Elemental Redistributor.  

Every time AZ uses Coolant Blast on Baron Blade the damage is redirected back at himself, doubling the amount of fire damage AZ has taken this round.  This means that the amount of damage AZ takes increases expontentially, that is A * 2^n, where A is the amount of damage you started with, and n is the number of times you use the power.  Two power uses each turn gets you an n of up to 13 before your last use, which is a cool A*8192.  Or you can do what I did and reflect the damage a few more times with Isothermic Transducer.  3 extra reflections per Coolant Blast effectively doubles n, giving you damage around A*67,108,864.  If A is around 50 (pretty easy with Legacy and AA in play), then that is more than enough to break the app's ability to track how much damage AZ has taken.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Someone on Reddit posted a new way of getting any amount of damage with F5 Wraith, Parse, and Guise.   Parse needs Critical Multiplier out, F5 Wraith uses her power, Guise copies Parse through Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy!, and then uses F5 Wraith's power with I Can Do That Too!    When Guise draws a card he discards a card and then has Wraith draw a card then discarding to let Guise draw.   Now Guise can get any amount of damage setup for the next damaging attack for any hero.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Someone on Reddit posted a new way of getting any amount of damage with F5 Wraith, Parse, and Guise.   Parse needs Critical Multiplier out, F5 Wraith uses her power, Guise copies Parse through Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy!, and then uses F5 Wraith's power with I Can Do That Too!    When Guise draws a card he discards a card and then has Wraith draw a card then discarding to let Guise draw.   Now Guise can get any amount of damage setup for the next damaging attack for any hero.  

Wow that's a potent combo, I had thought about Guise and Wraith using this combo to build up optimal hands but the Parse piece never occurred to me.