The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

XCOM2 Sentinels Character Pool (Screenshot-heavy)

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Garou
Garou's picture
Playtester
XCOM2 Sentinels Character Pool (Screenshot-heavy)

So, I went and combined a two long-standing obsessions of mine and re-created all 36 SotM-Heroes in XCOM 2.

Obviously, I had to be a little creative with some of the more exotic characters, and I used a fair number of generous approximations (e.g. characters not born on Earth have all been relocated to Venezuela). No bios as of yet (mostly because I couldn't copy and paste into the game and typing everything from scratch was a bit too much - yet).

Some of the characters turned out a little blander than I hoped for, but I'm quite happy with the results.

Akash'Thriya

This character pool uses "Capnbubs Accessories Pack", which is in the Steam Workshop - no idea how it looks without the add-on.

For information on importing character pools into the game, see this excellent tutorial (not mine): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo_AlvNvfa8

Edit: Fixed link and screenshot

Attachment(s): 
Trajector
Trajector's picture

This reminds me of my idea that XCOM 2 would be a great platform for a Sentinel Tactics mod...

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture

Awesome, thanks!

I started on a Sentinels character pool but got derailed on Absolute Zero when I couldn't give him blue facepaint.

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture

You know what else would be awesome? If people posted themselves as XCOM 2 characters. :D

cmschex
Playtester

This reminds me of playing the original X-Com in the 90's and naming my ever turning over roster after characters from Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones for those who havent read the book).  Seemed fitting with how apt they were to die in that game :)

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Belle Sorciere wrote:

You know what else would be awesome? If people posted themselves as XCOM 2 characters. :D

I tried to make myself, but none of the faces or hairs really worked!

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

I'm getting a new laptop today (hopefully) and XCOM 2 is going to be one of my first purchases. Looking forward to using these!

I tried making all of the Sentinels back on the XCOM 360 version but there wasn't a lot of customization options. Is XCOM 2 a lot better? I'd love to see more pictures of the ones you made and see how much you can customize.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture

XCOM 2 is much better for customization, and mods improve that even further.

Garou
Garou's picture
Playtester

You're still a bit restricted by the color-schemes and armor layouts, but the addition of props like glasses or bandanas makes a lot of difference. And, as BS noted, mods can make a huge difference (haven't delved too far into that, apart from the additional accessories).

Here's a few more screenshots of characters that work pretty well:

Some of the more non-standard appearances needed a bit of improvisation:

...and there's a few that are hard to get distinct, apart from color scheme:

...and then there's this guy...

Trajector
Trajector's picture

These are fantabulous.

Any psi operatives? (I forget if you can make them in the pool.)

Garou
Garou's picture
Playtester

Aww, thanks!

Here's some psi:

...and somehow i managed to forget to include the possibly best one of them all:

PeterCHayward
PeterCHayward's picture
Game Designer

These are super fun.

Australian living in Toronto. I make a lot of games. http://about.peterchayward.com

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

These look amazing! Gah, I really need to get this game ASAP!

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

It's good. I sunk more time into XCOM than I did Skyrim, and although the sequel isn't quite as fresh as the first game, it is better in a lot of ways.

ViolentSilence

Trajector wrote:

It's good. I sunk more time into XCOM than I did Skyrim, and although the sequel isn't quite as fresh as the first game, it is better in a lot of ways.

I really wish they had done more with the Intel thing - sitting somewhere to collect it feels wonky, and I think I'd prefer a system where you were possibly collecting bad intel too. If I had a clue about modding, I'd be tempted to try and do that, but I'd also like to have the resistance groups more fractured and more diverse (so some groups would give you more soldiers, but limited intel, others would be great at intel, but limited in comabt items, and some groups would not work with others...)

Reflecting on it, they could (and should) have done a lot more with the Geoscape to change the feel. Mechanically, comms relays feel about the same as the satelites, and things that were mentioned in the materials building up to the game (like "contagion") were completely ignored. I really enjoyed the game, but I don't feel like the narrative was as well developed (or as well delivered) as it could have been

The other thing that would make an interesting mod - instead of starting a mission concealed, I'd like to start a mission disguised so I could move through busy areas without being spotted, but soldiers carrying armour and heavy weapons would not be eligible to be disguised.

Sorry, I'll stop waffling now!