The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Wrest the Mind and Telekinetic Cocoon

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
tbfan
Wrest the Mind and Telekinetic Cocoon

The Other day I put Wrest the Mind on Voss's flagship, and on Visionary's next turn, i put Visionary in Telekinetic Cocoon.  Basically I was playing it to where each time i redirected damage via Wrest the Mind, the flagship would take 3 psychic damage, but Visionary wouldn't take any damage because of the cocoon.  Did I play this right?  Telekinetic Cocoon doesn't allow Visionary to use powers, but Wrest the Mind doesn't have the "Power:" text on it.

It seemed a bit too powerful especially since I had Haka hoarding all the minions under Savage Mana so that there was nothing in the villain trash for the flagship to bring back in the game.

Thanks for any replies.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

That is exactly how you use Wrest of Mind. If you really want to make it powerful than also have a Twist of Ether on Visionary and have her deal melee damage, thus Flag Ship wouldn't take any damage what-so-ever! Wrest of Mind is probably one of the best cards in the game, especially if you can hide out in a Cocoon so Visionary doesn't suffer at all! I also like having it on a Kraken or T-Rex if I am in one of those environments!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

tbfan wrote:

It seemed a bit too powerful ...

It's a really powerful combination. You just can't often get the right set of cards at the right time.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

tbfan

Ronway wrote:

That is exactly how you use Wrest of Mind. If you really want to make it powerful than also have a Twist of Ether on Visionary and have her deal melee damage, thus Flag Ship wouldn't take any damage what-so-ever! Wrest of Mind is probably one of the best cards in the game, especially if you can hide out in a Cocoon so Visionary doesn't suffer at all! I also like having it on a Kraken or T-Rex if I am in one of those environments!

I realized I could have done what you said with Twist the Ether when i was typing my last message.  Although, I don't know if Twist the Ether ever came out.  

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Melonball

Visionary for president...future president

Amnachaidh
Playtester

Melonball wrote:

Visionary for president...future president

By 2024, Visionary will have been the Future Perfect Progress President for four years - but it was tense.

(sorry - couldn't help myself)

Can I say somethin' about destiny? Screw destiny!.... 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable, and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say, "You're evitable!" Fred Burkle

j1hopki1

In one ridiculous battle Visionary used Wrest the Mind on the Contract and went into her Cacoon. The other heroes were then eliminated by a jail break. She stayed in the Cacoon and used Wrest the Mind to keep killing the Thiefs. With both Crooked Cops in play the Contract was only getting dinged for one. Once she drew half her deck and regained all her life from the incapacitated heroes she came out kicking, but just couldn't quite put out enough damage. It was a LOOOOOONG fight.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I have a further question on this combo.

We were playing Spite, he got out all of his drugs and flipped and we were dying.

Visionary gets wrest the mind and cacoon, gets them both out with everyone under 5hp.

Spite is doing his 2 damage to everyone three times routine.

1.  Can Visionary redirect an instance of damage that is done to all heroes?

2.  How does it redirect, would it be all heroes to all villains, or all that damage to spite?  Would she redirect each damage individually (4 redirects when he would hit all 4 heroes) or redirect it to one enemy at base damage?

To explain:  If smite was to do 2 damage to all four heroes, and visionary wanted to redirect it, would she redirect 2 damage to spite, or 8 damage, or can she even redirect it back on him?  Also could she redirect all the damage to her, if she was originally included in the targets?

We played it that she could redirect the damage, but not to Spite, so she redirected all the damage to herself, and then dealt herself and Spite 3 damage, of course she was immune to damage.

With everyone else free to go crazy on Spite the game ended quickly.

dypaca
dypaca's picture
Playtester

Wrest the Mind cannot be played on Spite.  He is a character card and Wrest the Mind can (as of enhanced edition) only be played on non-character cards because it was too powerful otherwise.

Ignoring that, if the target of Wrest the Mind deals damage to multiple targets, Visionary can redirect each damage individually.  She deals the target of Wrest the Mind and herself 3 damage after each one.  She can also redirect the damage back to the source of the damage (the target of Wrest the Mind).

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Thanks, I joined the forums to try to find out this answer, and after posting it found the official rulings and the errata for wrest the mind.

Come back here to ammend and find my question answered.

Thank you.