The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Wrath of the Cosmos Pre-Order Event

766 posts / 0 new
Last post
Chromium_Man

Papabird24 wrote:

Oh, duh. The incap does hint heavily on a connection. I was just going off of narriatives and research, didn't think to look at the pretty pictures. Though I'm glad my detective work and reasoning lead me to the same connection a simple card flip would have revealed.

You and me both.  I don't always think to look at all the incap sides and I've never been incapacitated while playing the Naturalist so I've never seen his.  I'll have to go check it out.  

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Chromium_Man wrote:

IIRC, Christopher mentioned that it's interesting who brings Skyscraper to Earth.

From the podcast:

"is related specifically to one of the villains, and that villain's name is Kaargra Warfang."

My guess is Kaargra Warfang brought Sky-Scraper to Earth, solely based on the fact Christopher said so.

Chromium_Man

Ronway wrote:

Chromium_Man wrote:
 IIRC, Christopher mentioned that it's interesting who brings Skyscraper to Earth.

From the podcast:"is related specifically to one of the villains, and that villain's name is Kaargra Warfang."My guess is Kaargra Warfang brought Sky-Scraper to Earth, solely based on the fact Christopher said so.   

I was multitasking.  I must have misheard what he said.  Man, I'm 0 for 2 in this thread.

bessyrocks12
bessyrocks12's picture
Playtester

Quote of the podcast, "If you play one of the villain Omnitrons in the environment Omnitron, it's going to be WAY HARD...I've had a lot of the Playtesters be like, "I thought it would be fun to against Omnitron inside of Omnitron. It was fun, but in that "oh my god, where's all my blood" kind of way."

BuddaBuddaBuddaBuddaBuddaBuddaBudda

“Heh, pow. Sound effects are the best.” –The Idealist

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

My favorite line was when we learned IL's true motivation: to steal your lunch money.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I got a kick out of learning about the not-kind, not-gentle side of Tempest.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Ronway wrote:

Also! Captain Cosmic is British.

Ronway really likes a British character! :p

Also, yay, another British character!

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

cmschex
Playtester

It sounded like Kaargra was going to be the next villain spotlight during the pre-order event, which would be fantastic. (Any time now, guys...)

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

There's a decent number of playtesting secrets revealed in hat podcast, which is cool.

People can start to get an idea how insanely cool Sky-Scraper is.  My new favorite hero.

Papabird24

@Chromium_man & Foote: though, in all fairness, if we drew conclusions from incaps alone K.N.Y. F. E.'s would be misleading... But with Naturalists backstory as a direct contrast to Deadlines' point of view + incap + Naturalists' lack of a true nemesis yet: I believe I can safely draw a conclusion.

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Wow, was I ever off in my predictions about Sky-Scraper...so much for hand size = hero size!  That's okay, though.  The mechanism described in that podcast sound really cool too, especially the idea of a tiny-sized hero becoming a Saboteur!

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

The way Christopher described it, she is a saboteur. Her size-changing is secondary.

Ironic Fist

Just out of curiosity, is her name officially Skyscraper or Sky-Scraper? Some of the playtesters are spelling it one way, some the other....?

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Greywind wrote:

The way Christopher described it, she is a saboteur. Her size-changing is secondary.

See, the way I understood it, her mechanical party role changes based on her size.  When tiny, she's a saboteur.  When giant, she's a beat-stick. When normal sized, she's more versatile.  At any size, though, she's a resistance fighter against Voss.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Ironic Fist wrote:

Just out of curiosity, is her name officially Skyscraper or Sky-Scraper? Some of the playtesters are spelling it one way, some the other....?

It's Sky-Scraper.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

PlatinumWarlock wrote:

Greywind wrote:

See, the way I understood it, her mechanical party role changes based on her size.  When tiny, she's a saboteur.  When giant, she's a beat-stick. When normal sized, she's more versatile.  At any size, though, she's a resistance fighter against Voss.

In game mechanics, yes. In character, as Greywind described, she's a saboteur. She also happens to have size-changing abilities. (And really, saboteurs can do their work by smashing things, right? wink)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

If it works by tossing wooden shoes into the machinery, then as long as it gets broke, it works.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

Fine. Fine!! I'll listen to the podcast...

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

She can get her sabo on at any size, but as you can imagine, she is particularly effective at the more subtle sabotages when tiny.

Papabird24

Ah, so what I'm inferring is: it's similar to the naturalist, yet slightly different.

she can play her sabotage cards at any size (and probably her big hit cards as well), so her hand is never useless. But similar (and different) to how the naturalists has additional effects from the card if he is in the particular form, Sky-Scraper instead has increased effects from the card if she is in a certain size.

example: nat one shot, naturalist does X. If nat is in form A then he also does Y.

sky one shot, sky does X. If sky is in size A then she adds N to X.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

Maybe she has something like "sabotage" cards (or whatever keyword) and her different character cards have powers that interact with these keywords differently. For instance, her miniature character card has a power that destroys equipment based on the number of "sabotage" cards that are out (or in the trash, or discarded), whereas her normal size card is more of a scout and allows her to draw cards based on the number of sabotage cards, and then her giant card has her deal damage based on the number of "sabotage" cards out. 

Ha. You guys were right!! Speculation IS fun!!

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I don't want to be too specific, having not heard the podcast yet, but despite the initial similarities, she plays almost NOTHING like the Naturalist. She is actually even more changey and less stagnant than he is, and that's saying something.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Renkenr

I must say I am quite late to the SotM party. Purchased the core set almost 2 weeks ago and have at least 8 solo plays under my belt.

Since purchase and playing, this game has "fired" all other games at my table.

I have only played against Baron Blade and Omnitron. Want to defeat all 4 core villans at all 4 different environments before adding expansions to my options. And yes, I have purchased Vengence, Root City/Relics, The Scholar, and pre-ordered WotC (after having 1 play under my belt, I'm #1692). I have asked my LGS to get me the Unity and Silver Gultch mini expansions, too (buy local).

So, having been written, I can paitently wait for this expansion to be produced. Between now and Dec, I should play a lot more and not run out of options or combinations or permutations. smiley

Looking forward to seeing more stretch goals hit. Happy with what we have now. cheeky

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The only things you will be missing then are Shattered Timeline, Ambuscade, Miss information, and the FInal Wasteland. Almost there!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

McBehrer wrote:

I don't want to be too specific, having not heard the podcast yet, but despite the initial similarities, she plays almost NOTHING like the Naturalist. She is actually even more changey and less stagnant than he is, and that's saying something.

Christopher mentions that she plays very differently than the Naturalist or Bunker (but didn't say how).

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Finally got round to listening to the Podcast thingy. I am guessing that the mention of Captain Cosmic being "British" more speficially means "English"? Because I believe our full name is something like "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", thus "Britain" includes Scotland and Wales as well (so CC isn't the first Brit because Knyfe was there first ;)). Anyway, it's cool hearing all the stuff I didn't know...though having already had sneaky access to the new heroes and villains (don't think the environments were available at the time) via playing with a playtester, some of what was discussed was stuff I was already aware of.

I'm guessing from the references to "zomg Omnitron in Omnitron IV is really hard", coupled with the fact that we know Omni-IV is basically a drone factory, probably means that there are cards which affect everything with the "Drone" keyword or something. Like an ongoing which is a drone upgrade and gives all drones +1 damage and/or +1 soak or something. There has been no mention of any benefits to Omni-10 so I'm guessing that there is no mass component-helping card which he could gain from as well. Oh, eek, what about device-helper cards too. Like, "bring all devices from their respective trashes into play", the round after you manage to narrowly destroy the second EPE before it went off. Nooooo...

Anyway, it's cool hearing Christopher talking about this stuff. It doesn't come across as "I'm a game designer, so this is me talking about the stuff I want you to buy so my company makes money and then I can make more stuff for you to buy", but more like "Omg look at this really cool stuff I made, it's like a really cool story with characters and omg there's all this cool stuff that happens and...what? You like it too? Cool, here, we're making loads more and when you've got all of it you can see all the coolness that we already know about but can't tell you because spoilers and omg isn't this fun?!?!? Oh yeah, and because you like my stuff you can have some free stuff because I like free stuff and it means I get to make more stuff in order to give it you for free and oh by the way please keep telling me all the cool stuff you're doing with the cool stuff I made because I think that's really cool when you do! <explodes with enthusiasm/excitement overload>" :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Careful, Ameena. In my experience, "No true Scotsman" wants to be referred to as British.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

The pre-order announcement for him mentions that his home town is Huntingdon. It's in the eastern part of England, near Cambridge. 

I'd say "British" is a fair cop. 

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

Though I suppose that could be a matter of cultural perception. For me, "British" specifically means "from England". Whereas someone from one of the other parts of the UK would be Welsh, Irish, or Scottish. 

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

I can't wait for Omnitron IV.

In my 6v2 variant games that my group like to play one of our favorite scenarios is playing against Omnitron and Cosmitron in Wagner Base while they are trying assimilate Omnitron-X. So it's basically a race to defeat the two Omnitrons before they fulfill the required steps to Omnitron-X one of their own (he is an incapped NPC in that scenario) I imagine we will have to update it to somehow fit Omnitron-IV into it... without making it TOO hard (it's already pretty damn tough as it is). 

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I'm hoping we get another update this week.  Especially after that podcast I'm even more curious about the backstory for any of the villains.   

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Powerhound_2000

Less then 200 more preorders until another Promo.  I'm still going with Voss as the promo

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

boxwood
Playtester

I really want it to be Voss, but any hero or villain would do. But really I'd prefer to get a WotC update, I'd love to hear more than what was on the giant fire breathing robot podcast.

Powerhound_2000

I'd agree.  More people are likely to see the updates posted on the site not a podcast on a different site. 

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

I don't do podcasts.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I don't like tomatoes.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Then don't do a bad act.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I just had a terrible glimpse of the future. We are going to only reach 2999 pre-orders when it comes to a close.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Ronway wrote:

I just had a terrible glimpse of the future. We are going to only reach 2999 pre-orders when it comes to a close.

Speak not of such things. That's like standing on a mountain during a rainstorm while wearing copper armor and cursing the gods.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

dragon2439
dragon2439's picture

imprimis5 wrote:

Ronway wrote:

Speak not of such things. That's like standing on a mountain during a rainstorm while wearing copper armor and cursing the gods.

Yeah but that guy turned out fine. I think all the damage was done long before he decided to do that. 

And I would hope that the wonderful people would just grant us that last sweet promo, since they are so awesome and everything :D. 

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

Ronway wrote:

Did that vision of the future take into a count the fact that you would post about it here and thus compell me to purchase one more copy?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yes. It was really at 2998, you brought it up to 2999.

Unsafe_Bet
Unsafe_Bet's picture

I'm finally jumping into this thread and saying what I have to say (and haven't already said in comments on posts) about all the information we now have.

1.  Christopher's personality, as demonstrated in the podcast, brings me great joy.  He clearly hasn't "gone corporate" at all; he's a total goober who's absolutely thrilled to have found an audience, not because he loves the attention but because he likes making others happy and creating something that they really like.

2.  I couldn't help but notice that Prime Wardens Fanatic has an extremely prominent, er, pelvic area.  It makes it a bit difficult for me to pay attention to the rest of her art.  (Not in a sex-pervert sense, but just like a what-the-hell-is-she-wearing-with-a-figure-like-that-and-posing-in-such-a-way kind of reaction.)

3.  Omnitron-IV is awesome.  I said that already in comments, and others have said it here, but it bears repeating.

4.  Deadline, Progeny, and Kaargra Warfang.  That's 3 of the 4 villains we have names for, and assuming that Progeny is the guy on Reveal the Flaws (which seems sensible to assume), we've also seen them all.  That means one villain remains who's a complete mystery.  Maybe, just maybe, it's Captain Cosmic's evil brother?

5.  We now know that one environment is Dok'Thorak, while the other is almost certainly that alien arena.  I'm a little dissapointed that we won't have the ability to fight actually in space, with zero gravity and zero air and so forth; I was figuring one environment would probably be an asteroid belt or the wreckage of a destroyed planet or something.  But oh well.

6.  Sky-Scraper is really interesting to think about, given the reveal that she has multiple character cards for her sizes.  Since these all have different Powers, I'm guessing that she'll use cards to change, essentially being the opposite of the Naturalist in that regard.  Thusly, you might have cards like "Sky-Scraper becomes Huge, then deals one target 5 melee damage", or "Prevent the next 3 damage that would be dealt to Sky-Scraper; when damage is prevented this way, she becomes Tiny".  It's also neat that her incap powers will differ depending on what size she was when she fell; I'd imagine that if she dies Huge, she offers large amounts of damage reduction by virtue of the idea that the heroes can literally hide behind her body.  Whereas if she's defeated while Tiny, maybe she's shrunk to microscopic size and hiding in the villain's ear canal, so she can disturb his balance and reduce the damage he deals by 1 per instance, rather than protecting specific heroes from big heavy hits.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I think that is probably Progeny. It has the same forehead symbol, and definitely gives off the impression of a nigh-unbeatable boss.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Unsafe_Bet wrote:

2.  I couldn't help but notice that Prime Wardens Fanatic has an extremely prominent, er, pelvic area.  It makes it a bit difficult for me to pay attention to the rest of her art.  (Not in a sex-pervert sense, but just like a what-the-hell-is-she-wearing-with-a-figure-like-that-and-posing-in-such-a-way kind of reaction.)

Due to her personal morality, her hips are obligated to tell the truth.

dragon2439
dragon2439's picture

Unsafe_Bet wrote:

Great, now thats all i can see. 

eggroll20xd6
eggroll20xd6's picture
Playtester

What I want to know is what the heck happened to Absolution. That sword has seen better days

Go forth noble heroes!

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

eggroll20xd6 wrote:

What I want to know is what the heck happened to Absolution. That sword has seen better days

Critical Multiplier on Truth happened to Absolution, possibly another turning point for Fanatic but that is discussed more thouroughly in Sentinels Comics forum.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

For those of you keeping score at home, we need just over 100 more preorders to get another promo card.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

The counter increased by 1 since Foote last posted (45 minutes).

At that rate we will reach 3000 in a little over 3 days! (105*45=4725 minutes=78.75hours=3.28 days!)

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Pages