The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

WotC villains

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
trudge
trudge's picture
WotC villains

Has there been any news about the villains in Wrath of the Cosmos?  There was another thread where someone mentioned Scholar-like mechanics for one of the villains, but it's not on the web site.  I wonder if that came from a forum post or something.

boxwood
Playtester

There hasn't been any talk of them on the site officially, however in the last GIANT FIRE BREATHING ROBOT! podcast there was mention of three of the four villains Kaargra Warfang, whom Christopher mentioned but didn't go into details about because he said we would find out about her soon, presumably on the site whenever the next update is. Then there was Deadline, Christopher mentions he's trying to send us back to the dark ages essentially so we don't wind up like his people, he's apparently the last of his kind, he sounded really cool. Then Progeny was brought up I don't really remember mechanics being brought up beer fir you since I like you I'll listen to it again to make sure I haven't missed anything. Then there's the mysterious forth villain, so could they be, no one knows, but popular theory is Hugh or Nigel, I can't really keep them straight.

trudge
trudge's picture

Well, thank you!  I should probably listen to this podcast...

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

He did mention a very brief stackable forms mechanic for Progeny and clearly identified an Ice form. He also stated that the forms changed the way progeny played radically. But stackable elemental (well at least Ice is...) made me think of an hero with stackable elemental forms: The Scholar. The fact that we see the alchemical symbol from reveal the flaws on WotC box also reinforced my impression of Progeny being the scholar's Nemisis. The subject then kinda got derailed cause mainly playtesters posted and were clearly warned not to do spoilers since they know what nemesis villains have thus the subject didn't get much water to the mill, but I'd be glad to get you impressions Trudge.

trudge
trudge's picture

I wonder if Scholar's philosopher's stone is alien in origin.  Then it would make sense for him to have an alien nemesis.  And, I figure he'll get a nemesis sooner or later.

I think it's reasonable to assume that a couple of the six heroes without a unique nemesis will get one in Wrath. Of those six, the ones most likely to have alien nemesis seem to be Scholar (if the stone is alien), KNYFE (if FILTER has alien enemies), or maybe Naturalist (as a defender of the Earth).

Naturalist would make an interesting nemesis for Deadline, since Deadline might view Naturalist as a sort of kindred spirit, while Naturalist would just see a weird alien terrorist.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

trudge wrote:

if FILTER has alien enemies

Just pointing out what FILTER stands for, as seen in Tempest's Bio.

Federal Initiative to Limit Terrorism by Extraterrestrial Races

Unsafe_Bet
Unsafe_Bet's picture

We're pretty sure Deadline is Natch's nemesis, based on his incapacitated side (Christopher explicitly identified Deadline as the guy on the lower-right of the Wrath box).

Progeny may not be from space; perhaps it has lain dormant on Earth until awakened by a falling star or something.  It'd be a little boring if all four Wrath villains fell out of the sky.

I for one am curious what's going to make Kaargra different from Warlord Voss.  We already have one alien conqueror who invades Earth with an army.

Chromium_Man

I wouldn't be surprised if the Scholar created Progeny somehow. That is what the word progeny means after all. Also, GFBR posted a few pieces of art from WotC and they showed a character I'm certain is Progeny with that alchemical symbol on his forehead, which is further evidence that a) the being from Parse's deck is some form of Progeny and b) that Progeny is Scholar's nemesis. 

trudge
trudge's picture

Unsafe_Bet wrote:

I for one am curious what's going to make Kaargra different from Warlord Voss.  We already have one alien conqueror who invades Earth with an army.

Yeah, I'm curious about that too, though marvel/DC gives us plenty of precedence for different alien invaders with different styles.  (On the Marvel side of things, compare Annhilus, Warbird, the Kree Intelligence, and Super Skrull, who all have different styles and types of threats.  DC wise, Darkseid is pretty different from the various Lantern Core villains, or the Invaders from the Legion comics)

Her name could fit a space pirate or trophy hunter just as easily as an invader, but that would step on Capitans and Ambuscade's assorted toes, respectively.

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

Knowing that one of the environnments is Dok'Thorath and the other closely related to Deadline (if a guy wants to send us back to the dark ages I don't see him make an arena of it). Maybe the arena we saw on some art isn't environnment related but could be part of Kaarga's theme. JUst a really long shot but what if Kaarga thing is to organise travelling arena fights kidnapping the champions of a place and pitting them against challenges and each other?

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Medic-Tank wrote:

Knowing that one of the environnments is Dok'Thorath and the other closely related to Deadline (if a guy wants to send us back to the dark ages I don't see him make an arena of it). Maybe the arena we saw on some art isn't environnment related but could be part of Kaarga's theme. JUst a really long shot but what if Kaarga thing is to organise travelling arena fights kidnapping the champions of a place and pitting them against challenges and each other?

That's a very Mongol (DC villain) thing to say.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Unsafe_Bet
Unsafe_Bet's picture

trudge wrote:
(On the Marvel side of things, compare Annhilus, Warbird, the Kree Intelligence, and Super Skrull, who all have different styles and types of threats.  DC wise, Darkseid is pretty different from the various Lantern Core villains, or the Invaders from the Legion comics)

Of these, the only ones I consider at all distinctive are the Skrulls (because they shapeshift) and the Yellow, Red, and Black Lantern Corps (because they nail the "fear"/"rage"/"death" angles hard, plus they're all different species and many are really creative), and arguably Darkseid (he doesn't really count since he's a god, but he is a space-god so we'll say he half-counts).  Everything else is pretty much random generic sci-fi nonsense, not significantly different from the content of 100 different public domain alien-invaders movies from the 50s thru 70s.  I admit I don't know the Kree Intelligence, but the Kree in general are just blue humanoids; not much stands out there.  I couldn't possibly guess from a glance at some random space-ork grunt whether it was a servant of Annihilus, Thanos, the Dominators, or the dudes who ruled the Vega system before it was re-canoned as belonging to the Orange Lantern, rather than whatever the previous explaination for why the Greens weren't allowed in there.

Quote:
Her name could fit a space pirate or trophy hunter just as easily as an invader, but that would step on Capitans and Ambuscade's assorted toes, respectively.

My hope is that "Warfang" is just a hereditary name handed down from the barbarian ages of her species, and that she's actually from a Crystal Spires and Togas planet which hopes to purify humanity's violent impulses with harp music and sexual promiscuity.  (Disclaimer: I do not actually hope this, but if it turns out to be true I'll laugh once.)

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Unsafe_Bet wrote:
Quote:

My hope is that "Warfang" is just a hereditary name handed down from the barbarian ages of her species, and that she's actually from a Crystal Spires and Togas planet which hopes to purify humanity's violent impulses with harp music and sexual promiscuity.  (Disclaimer: I do not actually hope this, but if it turns out to be true I'll laugh once.)

Way to ruin the new promo for Warfang dude.

Unsafe_Bet
Unsafe_Bet's picture

phantaskippy wrote:

Way to ruin the new promo for Warfang dude.

As long as she's still topless, it's not completely ruined....