The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Where do Unity's bots go when knocked out?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Flintlock
Flintlock's picture
Where do Unity's bots go when knocked out?

Just wanted to double check if I am understanding this correctly, but my understanding is that Unity has her bots go out of play when they are incapacitated and not returned to her hand. However, when she herself is incapacitated, all the bots will return to her hand and she can then redeploy them as she sees fit. Is that correct? And also, if I understand correctly, the Reclamation card would also force one of her bots out of play in a similar fashion, right?

Aaaaaand Oblivion went off for two points of damage total. :(

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Yep. The token is removed, but not the card. Conversely, at the start of your turn you could switch out one of the power cards, which removes the bot but does not incapacitate it.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester

Her bots being destroyed have no effect on their power cards beyond the fact that the bot isn't in the field anymore until you remove the corisponding power card and then play it again on another turn.  Reconfiguration simplely lets you swap a bot already out in the field instead of it spawning adjacent to unity. 

dragonlordged
dragonlordged's picture

Reconfiguration also incapacitates the bot, so it should trigger her passive attack, yes? Simply swapping the power card out during power up doesn't do that.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

dragonlordged wrote:

Reconfiguration also incapacitates the bot, so it should trigger her passive attack, yes? Simply swapping the power card out during power up doesn't do that.

Yes. Incapping the bot triggers the bot explosion attack. I love sending Swiftbot on Kamikazi missions!

dragonlordged
dragonlordged's picture

Kamikaze missions that end up with an unpleasantly placed Cryobot or Turret Bot...

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Yep. Using that tactic, I've almost never had to have Unity move in any game I've ever played with her. I'm interested in trying a more close-range tactic, though, with Champion Bot, Arcing Shot, and maybe Stealth Bot or Turret Bot.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Flintlock
Flintlock's picture

Sorry for being dense, I'm afraid that the delineation between the token of the bot and the card of the bot is confusing me slightly. You said the card of the bot returns into her hand and the token of bot goes out of play, therefore making it impossible for to play the bot as she needs BOTH, correct? And with my new understanding, this situation is remedied if she withdraws the bot card and plays the card again in the following turn, essentially forcing both the token and the card into play. Right?

Sorry to ask you to explain it twice. I'm being slow today. sad

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Putting the card in play puts the token in play. If the token is destroyed, the card is still in play even though the token is not. But if you pick up the card and replay it on a subsequent turn, the token will come back into play 'cause that's what the card does. 

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Flintlock
Flintlock's picture

Thanks!

lutherbellhendricksv
lutherbellhendricksv's picture
Game Designer

Unity's power cards have the keyword "Companion". Companion means "When this power enters play, place the corresponding token/mini adjacent to your character. When this power leaves play, remove the token/mini from the board." By default, targets that get incapacitated are just removed from the board; only characters are special and get to get back up. If a bot gets incapacitated, remove the bot from the board. This doesn't affect the power card, but the only way the power card makes a bot appear is when you first play the card. If Turret Bot is defeated, you remove it from the board. You can replace Turret Bot's card during your next Power Up phase with another card, and then the next turn replay the Turret Bot card and you'll get to place Turret Bot again.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

My favorite close range Unity:

Swiftbot uses her attack to run behind the target and attack, then arcing shock, then Reconfigure to Turret Bot.  Three attacks and Turret Bot waiting patiently for you to stand back up so he can shoot you.

Pearsecj

In the glossary,under Destroyed, it says that non-character targets reduced to 0 health are removed from the game. Surely this would mean Unity cannot re-summon a destroyed Bot, at least until after she has been incapacitated.

lutherbellhendricksv
lutherbellhendricksv's picture
Game Designer

Pearsecj wrote:

In the glossary,under Destroyed, it says that non-character targets reduced to 0 health are removed from the game. Surely this would mean Unity cannot re-summon a destroyed Bot, at least until after she has been incapacitated.

They are removed from the game, back to the supply. Things that summon them from the supply can get them just fine. If a turret is destroyed, it goes back to Baron Blade's supply; he can re-place that same turret later on.

Flintlock
Flintlock's picture

lutherbellhendricksv wrote:

Pearsecj wrote:

They are removed from the game, back to the supply. Things that summon them from the supply can get them just fine. If a turret is destroyed, it goes back to Baron Blade's supply; he can re-place that same turret later on.

Yeah, the wording on what happened to noncharacter targets when destroyed was tripping me up, but I think I got it now.

SeraAlexandria

Basically if you want to think about it this way, anything not in the game is considered in the "supply". Only a few things can get accessed from the supply though, when a card tells you to. If a Power Card gets removed from the game, you don't have anything that lets you use it from that place. You only use power cards from your hand. As long as you have the Power Card, you have access to the bots, and thus far One-Shots are the only cards that get removed from the game outside of scenario specific situations.

The only downsides to having a bot incapacitated are:

• Having to wait a turn to use that same bot again. (You have to return the power card to your hand on your next turn, and then replace it on the turn after that. Unless you use Reconfigure.)
  • Having to place it back at Unity, which is typically far away from where the combat is. Unless you use reconfigure.
  • Having to use reconfigure to do circumvent 1 & 2, still resulting in a net of 1 bot in the combat.

It may sound like only minor downsides, but they make a big difference. If their power cards were removed from the game when they were incapacitated you could get to a point where Unity can't summon any bots. She literally cannot do anything without bots out. It also makes no sense for her to not be able to recreate bots after they're destroyed, since she kind of just makes them from spare parts sitting around.