The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

What's your most exciting thing about Vengeance?

42 posts / 0 new
Last post
phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester
What's your most exciting thing about Vengeance?

Now that we know the Villains, the Heroes and the Environments, what are all you non-playtesters most excited about?

Playtesters don't get to post spoilers or comments or hints or any of their redacted nonsense here.  We like you, but don't post here.

Is it the Brand-New Villain mechanic?

Is it the endless train puns afforded by a specific new villain?

Is it one of the new heoes?

Is it the first opportunity to play multiple heroes from one deck?

Is it complaining about balance issues for months?

Is it The Freedom Tower?

Is it Mobile Defense Platform?

Or are you just excited to get back to carrying multiple boxes around like the days before they ruined everything with that highly functional and convenient Enhanced Edition box?

Oh, and if you don't know, Now you know.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I'm personally so excited for Mobile Defense Platform I can't stand it.  I could compile a list of 45 cards right now I hope are in that deck.  I understand they won't be there, but so much cool stuff is possible.  Yeah!

That and Fright Train.  I'm a tiny bit sad he won't be a stand alone villain, but more excited to get to play against him.  My favorite villain was always Rhino, there is something pure about a villain that just runs at things and breaks them.  

Drakossozh

Err, I apologize for being not very informed, but where is the new villain mechanic posted? I would very much like to read up on it :D:D Also, The Mobile Defense Platform is just *giddyyyyyy* So much excitement!

I am also very much excited to play as The Sentinels! Medico is love <3

boxwood
Playtester

I'm mainly excited to play The Sentinels and Setback and I'm excited for the game just to come out. Because once that's out we get to start worrying about Tactics.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Drakossozh wrote:

Err, I apologize for being not very informed, but where is the new villain mechanic posted? 

(I know Phanta said not to post. Sorry)

I think he means that there will be multiple villain decks in a single game

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-shattered-timelines/posts/353695

Drakossozh

Oh. I thought there was brand new (and more specific) information released about how the multiple decks thing would work. God knows I missed that post with the new Environments until Phanta posted about it. Thank you so much!

boxwood
Playtester

Foote wrote:

Drakossozh wrote:
Err, I apologize for being not very informed, but where is the new villain mechanic posted? 

(I know Phanta said not to post. Sorry)I think he means that there will be multiple villain decks in a single gamehttp://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-shattered-timelines/posts/353695

I should learn to read things in their entirety.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

I'm mostly excited about having a significant increase in the number of heroes we have at our disposal, and that I've heard that playing against the full force of the Vengeful Five is quite the challenge. And I love a tough villain fight.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

The new stuff is up??

*Looks*

*Frolicks like a schoolgirl*

Awesome :D

As for what I'm most looking forward to, I've been sucked into the story of the multiverse and the challenge of trying to parse (pun not intentional, but approved) out information. So I'm looking forward to the flavor text more than anything. As for actual decks... So many things. Friction and Ermine seem like they will be much tougher than I first thought and the Freedom Tower has the possibility to be an incredibly challenging environment. My guess from the "bio" is that heroes and villains will be able to gain benefits from the various cards, depending on who gets them. This could lead to a race to "grab" the environment cards so that the villains aren't using them against you, which I assume would be quite a devastating outcome.

Mostly I'm just pumped about new stuff heart

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

The Sentinels and Freedom Tower are what interest me the most.  Or, more generally, the art, since that's always what I respond the most strongly to.

I'm curious as to whether the Vengeful Five decks are only playable together, or if you can use them separately.  I'm also curious about how the new Baron Blade will compare to the original (who is looking pretty redundant versus this expansion, to the point where his presence in the EE may become an embarassment over the course of next year).

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"
--David Brin, "Brightness Reef"

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Original Baron Blade is really rather good at what he does; he has Minions, Devices, One-Shots, Ongoings; he does ongoing and equipment destruction, forced discards, damage, damage reduction, redirection, immunity; he has a simple flip mechanic that is really rather simple to explain. I don't think he'll ever become redundant, being as he is pretty much the perfect teaching villain.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

BlueHairedMeerkat wrote:

Original Baron Blade is really rather good at what he does; he has Minions, Devices, One-Shots, Ongoings; he does ongoing and equipment destruction, forced discards, damage, damage reduction, redirection, immunity; he has a simple flip mechanic that is really rather simple to explain. I don't think he'll ever become redundant, being as he is pretty much the perfect teaching villain.

Advanced OG Blade still has a way of making games tense in both of his phases. I doubt he will ever get old 

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

I'm excited to see how these new Heroes will work in tandem with the already existing ones.  On their own, I'm sure they're interesting, but when combined with the already existing heroes and their myriad strategies?  That's when the rubber hits the road for me. 

The first time Argent Adept let Scholar play "Don't Dismiss Anything" out of turn?  That's just pure gold.  I want moments like that, with Setback ricocheting villain damage around, The Naturalist shifting forms, and Parse plinking away with trick arrows...

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I hope the new villain feels organic and not forced.  One of the great things about the original Blade deck (and his promo version) is the feel of the game.  That first side is a rush, just flat out damn the torpedoes we have to stop this madman damage race is awesome.  The follow up fight has that angry mad scientist feel, even if Blade isn't nearly as dangerous as he wishes.

He fixes that next time when he just comes at you with everything he's got, bombs and death rays and all.

In Vengence I'm hoping to see the arrogant posturing of the original deck mixed with the methodical determination of his promo card.

I doubt I'll be disappointed.

I honestly think that as of right now the Baron Blade cards have the best union of story and mechanics behind flipping the hero over.

As for difficulty, the game is so easy to mod to change the difficulty of any villain, with so many cool twists you can do, they never become irrelevant, just due for some scenario rules.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

phantaskippy wrote:

I honestly think that as of right now the Baron Blade cards have the best union of story and mechanics behind flipping the hero over.

+1

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Foote wrote:
Advanced OG Blade still has a way of making games tense in both of his phases. I doubt he will ever get old

Side 1 is somewhat impressive (though at one point I thought he milled H cards each turn - boy would THAT make things serious); I've had games get pretty close to him winning that way, though never actually doing so.  But his B-side is just pathetic, even on advanced...DR 1 is just not enough when you have only 30 HP, especially since he'll never flip to this side in the first place unless the heroes are able to deal significant damage.  He's only managed to beat me once, and even then he was at 2 HP and had a half chance to die on the environment turn before he killed my last hero.

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

I've found that it helps to think of Baron blade as a dark reflection of Legacy.  

As the story has developed, he grows stronger and more and more capable.  He starts as a mad scientist who relies on his minions and gadgets while attempting to keep his own hands clean...and then when that fails he tries again.  Each failure (in terms of the story) just brings him back stronger and more determined.  

Just look at the events we all know of:

Round 1:

Legacy goes after the Baron alone, and does poorly.  BB figures out a serum to deprive Legacy of his strength. (as depicted in the comic)

Round 2:

Legacy comes back with friends (getting stronger).  BB ups his game by attempting to pull the moon into the earth.  He's not ready for the team, though, and is captured.  (Base BB, where any level of team cooperation will lead to victory unless he gets super lucky)

Round 3: 

Blade escapes prison, and sets up bombs across the city- forcing the team to dance to his tune. with no access to his minions, or his fancy gadgets, he cobbles together a death ray and is a force to be reckoned with. (Promo bomber blade, where you NEED teamwork or he'll put the hurt on you!)

It ends in defeat, but the Baron is learning, plotting, planning, and improving each time.

This cycle repeats again and again.

We know that at some point, (a version of) the  Baron goes after Legacy psychologically by targeting his daughter (successfully), setting off the events of Iron Legacy.  this could certainly be considered upping his game- in that he successfully killed young Legacy and broke Iron Legacy's mind.

BB isn't about being a tough fight at first.  He's the most dangerous kind of villain, one who learns from their mistakes. 

Mezike
Mezike's picture

I am most excited about the new heroes. And the new villains. Also, the environments. There are a couple of promo cards that i'm quite keen on too...

The vengeance mechanism might be interesting, but I am just happy to have more variety in the box(es). I also hope that the villains are playable individually rather than being trapped into vengeance only games.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I'm looking forward to learning new heroes! When I first got all the existing expansions I remember being excited to try out the new stuff right away, so a bigger pile of new stuff will be even better.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Having played the game already I am most excited about the box. No, I am not being sarcastic, I was told there was interesting things about the box itself but I have no idea what.

Also, a British hero is very exciting!

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Mezike wrote:

I also hope that the villains are playable individually rather than being trapped into vengeance only games.

I am sure there will be a lot of homebrew varients that will try and do just this

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

I'm excited to hopefully learn what the heck happens to Fright Train's head when he puts that cowcatcher on his chest.  It just disappears!  Where does it go?

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

[Not true in any way]The cowcatcher, or EVA to give it its correct title, is really an extradimensional portal to a world of trains. It's why Fright Train is as he is.[/Not true in any way]

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Whenever a new expansion comes out, the heroes are always the most exciting thing to me, followed by the villains. The environments are usually not as impressive; 15 cards compared with 27 and 41 with which to wow me, not to mention the degree of interactivity involved, but I'm always pleasantly surprised. I'm still amazed at how thematically AWESOME the Time Cataclysm is.

As for this one, Setback and the Sentinels are in my top 5 favorite heroes OF ALL TIME (kthnxKanye), the villains are a fun challenge with a surprising amount of variety to to them from game to game, and AT LEAST one of the environments is pretty cool.

I know, you said no playtesters, but I don't care.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Ax_kidson
Playtester

Braithwhite wrote:

I've found that it helps to think of Baron blade as a dark reflection of Legacy.  As the story has developed, he grows stronger and more and more capable.  He starts as a mad scientist who relies on his minions and gadgets while attempting to keep his own hands clean...and then when that fails he tries again.  Each failure (in terms of the story) just brings him back stronger and more determined.  Just look at the events we all know of:Round 1:Legacy goes after the Baron alone, and does poorly.  BB figures out a serum to deprive Legacy of his strength. (as depicted in the comic)Round 2:Legacy comes back with friends (getting stronger).  BB ups his game by attempting to pull the moon into the earth.  He's not ready for the team, though, and is captured.  (Base BB, where any level of team cooperation will lead to victory unless he gets super lucky)Round 3: Blade escapes prison, and sets up bombs across the city- forcing the team to dance to his tune. with no access to his minions, or his fancy gadgets, he cobbles together a death ray and is a force to be reckoned with. (Promo bomber blade, where you NEED teamwork or he'll put the hurt on you!)It ends in defeat, but the Baron is learning, plotting, planning, and improving each time. This cycle repeats again and again.We know that at some point, (a version of) the  Baron goes after Legacy psychologically by targeting his daughter (successfully), setting off the events of Iron Legacy.  this could certainly be considered upping his game- in that he successfully killed young Legacy and broke Iron Legacy's mind.BB isn't about being a tough fight at first.  He's the most dangerous kind of villain, one who learns from their mistakes. 

as I undestand it ... in the "main" timeline BB actually manages to kill Legacy and young Legacy has to take over
NAL0781
NAL0781's picture
Playtester

I am definitely looking forward to the heroes the most.  Five new choices is more than we've gotten at once since the original set.  And we haven't even seen their character cards yet...

I am a little nervous about the villains as everything that I've heard has pointed to them increasing the time of the game, which is the only complaint that my friends have about the game (sometimes it takes too long, I am the only gamer of the bunch).  I will have to see what they look like to see how I will introduce them to the friends.  I'm sure I'll enjoy them solo, but it's more fun with a group of others.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

I agree with Silverleaf that getting a bunch of new stuff all at once will be an experience for me; it last happened about 9 or 16 games into my SOTM career, when my order of product arrived, and I laid eyes on Shattered Timelines and the mini-expansions for the first time.  If all the Vengeful Five are counted as one, Vengeance will contain the same eight decks that you get with any one expansion, but in actuality there's 12 decks, which is how many I got in that order.  And this time, I won't spend all the novelty at once, but will carefully ration it out over a minimum of eight games.

Mezike wrote:
I also hope that the villains are playable individually rather than being trapped into vengeance only games.

Actually, what I find myself hoping now is that you can combine the four non-Blade villains with any other villain...I think Proletariat would fit right in among the Citizens of the Sun, and we already know that Ermine isn't above working with Spite and others to take down their common nemesis (incap side of Rook City Wraith).  Fright Train could be a bodyguard to anyone of course...Friction is the one I'm most interested in playing by herself, not least because I think she'll probably end up the most appropriate villain for my "sexy heroes/villains" theme game (which I have decided I do not want to try to do for my immediately-upcoming game #69, so I'll try aiming for #169 instead, assuming I can wait until February to play 100 more games).  Being that SOTM is a family-friendly product, it's unsurprising that there aren't really any overtly sexual villains, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try to make this work, and Friction might require less squinting to fit the idea than anyone we currently have (all of which are very squinty indeed...if I actually had to pick from what we have now, I'd probably go with Citizen Dawn, but it only really works if you leave certain less-sexy Citizens out of the deck for that match).

Drakossozh

Also: Playing regular Baron Blade on the Mobile Defense Platform.

I heard you like Mobile Defense Platforms, so I played a Mobile Defense Platform while we play on a Mobile Defense Platform, so you can play on a mobile defense platform while playing on a mobile defense platform!

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

It's the Haka pants party! Everyone's in the MDP, which is in Haka's pants, while Haka is on the MDP!

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

Katsue
Katsue's picture

I'm looking forward to Parse, Proletariat and the Mobile Defence Platform, which I really hope is an ultra-difficult Environment.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Proletariat is probably my favorite of the V5 villains.

Also, the Freedom Tower has one of the best art pieces in the game, as does Fright Train. A lot of the art in this expansion is awesome, but there are 2 cards in particular that are especially breathtaking and/or hilarious.

-- Trajector

Zalrus9
Zalrus9's picture

So Proletariot has a freaking hammer to go with the sickle what's on his chest? That's so dumb in the best way possible! Ooh, February cannot come soon enough!

Honestly, I'm always up for more interatcions, more variety, and more ways to save/ get defeated by the multiverse!

"An artist's responsibility is to be irresponsible. As soon as you start to think about social or political responsibility, you've amputated the best limbs you've got as an artist."

David Cronenberg

Alex
Alex's picture
Playtester

I can't wait to play Setback. I actually got really behind in the playtests and haven't played him since he first appeared there.

I make games! Here's one of them! http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/626169

BoardGameGeek interviewed me about my contribution to Shattered Timelines, Kismet! http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/17671/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-shat...

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Wait, really? You're REALLY in for a treat, then.

-- Trajector

dragon2439
dragon2439's picture

This is why he didnt want play testers in here. You get to lord your shiny secrets over us. 

Like:

I love how [redacted] gets to [redacted] in the [redacted] during the [redacted] with the [redacted] [redacted] [redacted].

now you know how we feel. 

youperguy

I am just excited to play again. 

My daughter and I have been playing other games, but yesterday she asked to see the webpages of the new heroes, and she got excited about the Multiverse again. She is most excited about the Sentinels.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

How old is your daughter? Idealist seems like she might be really easily relatable. She has that adorableness too her similar to unity. 

youperguy

My daughter is almost 8. She has been a great gaming partner. 

We have greatly enjoyed:

Mice and Mystics

Sentinels of the Multiverse

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

She is very excited about Idealist.

I feel that Idealist is a great present to all of the gaming Dad's out there, especially the ones like me with daughters.  

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

My daughter is 5 now, and learning to read.  She isn't close to gaming with me on Sentinels but she already loves Unity.  She always runs by and asks if the pink dinosaurs have eaten the bad guy.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

phantaskippy wrote:

My daughter is 5 now, and learning to read.  She isn't close to gaming with me on Sentinels but she already loves Unity.  She always runs by and asks if the pink dinosaurs have eaten the bad guy.

Man you must have been so excited to see the Chomps plushie!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I love Unity too. And I'm a bit older than 5 now!

I'm not one of those girls gamers that feel they have to play female characters all the time in board games, but I'm absolutely glad to see so many awesome female heroes (and villains) in Sentinels.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

The Grasshopper (age 8) is also a big fan of Unity, although he still has a little bit of trouble playing her effectively if he gets a draw that has no bots and no equipment. I think Unity just appeals to the kid in lots of us.

The Munchkin (age 3.5) wants cards to play with when the Grasshopper and I sit down to play, but she makes a major mess of things.