The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

What are your favorite cards?

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Hero cards, villain cards, environment cards: take your pick.

Gameplay reasons, art reasons, flavor text reasons: doesn't matter.

If you want to pick cards from a different game or choose birthday cards: It's all good.

But my question is this:

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I really like [redacted]

Of what's available in the game it should come as no surprise my favorite card for art and gameplay reason is Best Card Ever! After that I find the incap  art of the Foil version for Dr Medico to be amusing.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Impromptu Invention. It is by far the best equipment-searching card in the game. Whether I have a good game or a mediocre game with the Wraith largetly depends on whether I draw this at some point.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

FOOLISH CREATURE! STAND NOT BEFORE RA!

Yeah, the card itself is probably Ra's least often used card, but I really love the flavor and the art of Wrathful Gaze.  It's so much fun watching Ra be a ham.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Hands down, Don't Dismiss Anything. ALL THE RANDOM PLAYS

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

¿Quando? ¡Ahora! By far.
I demand explanation of this card. Is that Nightmist as a Freedom 5 member. Does the pan pipe next to her have the elder sign? I must to know about her! I feel the same with the other people on the card but Nightmist is a must answer for me.

I like many other cards other cards but they escape me. Mostly form villain cards or incaps. This game tell such great story I love it all.

Breaking the rules, Unknowable answer, What do you Really Know, Unwise Wager. I love when heroes have to fight their identity. Would you be happier if you get everything you want? Would you be happy if your curse would be removed?
Erime's Slight of Hand. Sneaky little thief.

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star

Powerhound_2000

That La Capitan VotM deck has a few cards I hope we get more information about.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I've always liked the art on Mystical Divergence. I agree that Impromptu Invention is a pretty uber card for all the stuff it can do. I also agree on liking Don't Dismiss Anything and for the same reason - Slamara, incapped Set, and the Atlantean Font of Power (and any others I've missed out) are similarly cool even if they do let the villains play one as well :D. I also like the cards that can chain - Reset, Summon Staff, Fleet of Foot, Team Communication, all those kinds of cards. And Arcane Cadence. If I can chain that four times in a row I feel a bit sorry for the other players having to wait for me to finish sorting it all out :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

My favorite non redacted card is the incap where Scholar uses the philosopher stone towtabilise guise accelarating his own doom.That duo would have made epic "Cable and Deapool moments".

Trajector
Trajector's picture

I second the vote for Impromptu Invention as the best (gameplay) card in the whole game. Draw, search, AND play? Wraith gets two critical equipments out instantly.

jesse_garcia_87
jesse_garcia_87's picture

Art/Storyline adder: Iron Legacy's Former Allies card. There's so much said in just that artwork, a broken picture frame of happier times, rain splashing down as mud covers the edges... I mean, a lot of Iron Legacie's deck goes through his rising to power, taking over the world, beating down the heros, it's just so deliciously filled with gooey tales of sorrow and confusion.

as far as abilities go? Twist the Aether. i've seen so much use out of that either on friend or foe. and Omnitron (original flavor or with Cosmic Flakes) and his Adaptive Subroutines can't stop an ally with that on them :D

In the effort of doing stupid things, I'm a FLIPPIN' Genius!
-Me.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Enduring Intercesion. 

it's so useless I feel bad for it and it has a special place in my heart (and the trash pile)

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Foote wrote:

Enduring Intercesion. it's so useless I feel bad for it and it has a special place in my heart (and the trash pile)

Until Negative energy field shows up.

Actually since Captain Cosmic came out and Bracer gan get Haka to -2 taken pretty easily I have used intercession a decent bit.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Favorite Cards:

ZEALOUS OFFENSE!!!  Best card in the game.  It shuts down EPE, T-Rex, The Conqueror and The Stalwart, Mystical Defenses, Sonic Mine, Treacherous Ape and so many more.  And the only cost is you have to hurt things.  Yeah.  Best Card Ever.  (sorry Guise, you got the second best)

[REDACTED], [REDACTED], and [REDACTED].  I'm sorry to be that guy, but Stuntman.  You guys have to wait, but there are so many great cards in his deck.  The art, text, effects, it's glorious.  I'm sorry you all have to wait to see them.

Final Dive.  Yep, more Fanatic.  Such an amazingly powerful card, and so thematically awesome.  Love it.

Bloogo.  He's the best.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Bloogo will always have a special place in my heart for being part of my favorite Video Game bug. (Namely that for awhile if Bloogo was attached to a Vitality Conduit that was attached to Bloogo, the game couldn't decide what play area they belonged in so they went and hid in the center behind the art. )

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

The artwork on Temporal Event in Silver Gulch makes me giggle every time I look at it. The combo of Wraith's cartoony bug-eyed face and Argent's dejected staring contest with a lizard is delightfully absurd.

Construct Cataclysm, for being Badass Hilarious and showing how British Captain Cosmic is.

Haka of Shielding is another card with delightfully absurd art.  It's the balloon that really makes it.

Everything with Idealist on it. Especially her foil incap for her original version.

Setback's entire deck is great, but I especially like the flavor text for High Risk Behavior. "Oh, hello there! Have you considered, say, not hitting me?"

Aquatic Correspondence. :D That poor eel...

I am sad Unity won't have any more canon bots, because I want to see what her quips would be for all the other heroes' expies.

Tactics has a lot of funny cards, too. Bunker complaining that Wraith stole his foam grenades, Citizen Spring being all a-gosh at how violent Beacon is, Wraith complaining that AZ got her making cheesy ice puns...

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I have a fondness for Amulet of the Elder Gods. It was the key to my understanding of NightMist after a fair amount of frustration, and I really enjoy denying attacks and even hitting people with their own damage.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Throwing in a second for Final Dive. Picking up Minions and throwing them at each other never gets old. :D (There's nothing quite like taking out Omnitron by throwing a cactus at him!)

bolnerap

My favorite card to use is probably Suggestion. Nice and simple, and against most villains, can get you a known breather for the next round. 

I also have a special place in my heart for Wrest the Mind, which I've had a couple of, shall we say, animated discussions about with SOTM-playing coworkers. Sure, I don't always find a way to use it, but there have been times where WTM has literally won me the game.

(Yes, Visionary is my most played character, why do you ask)

bolnerap

Oh, and if we're talking flavor text, Unity's Brainstorm gets me every time in light of recent events (#alternativefacts).

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Omg I forgot Mr Chomps. I like Mr Chomps because Mr Chomps :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Flavor text:

"HI, MAIA! Are we gonna fight crime?!"

Makes me giggle every time I read it. Though, in my head, it comes out in squeaky overeager cartoon voice. The wheezy hairdryer voice is just....yegggh!

Blossercubbles
Blossercubbles's picture

Mental Divergance is the one card I'm always squealing about when I draw it. When playing The Visionary (which is often), this is THE CARD, referred to only in caps and always with a fond smile.

Yes, please, destroy an Ongoing or revive an Ongoing. I'd like that very much, yes. Please, do go on! And a scary beforehand to ensure safety? All the better!

I fall up the stairs.

"Right, Left, Right, Left! Chu! Chu! Chu!

saykhia
saykhia's picture

Insanity.

We all love Infinitor's deck so much it'd be great if we could see all the cards in one turn.

Prefers smooth peanut butter, but loves crunchy numbers.

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

saykhia wrote:

Insanity.We all love Infinitor's deck so much it'd be great if we could see all the cards in one turn.

I guess you've never been on a Surprise Shopping Trip with him yet. He kept bringing out card after card. We went though most of his deck in a single turn. Think we went from nearly full health down to single digits that turn.

Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture

My current favorite is Scorched Earth because every time I play it, it shifts the balance in the heroes' favor.

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Speaking of Ra one of my favorites cards is Flesh of the Sun God. I love playing it along with Imbuded Fire turning Ra into a support hero focused on preventing Hero self damage.

Environmental Allies is another favorite, as it let's the heroes essentially weaponize the environment, which I find quite fun. I also really enjoy selectively allowing certain hits though since the immunity is optional.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Okay, but Driving Mantis. 1's and 2's are pretty common area damage levels, so it turns Mr. Fixer into both a defensive and offensive powerhouse. I mean, yeah, you could do more damage with Grease Monkey Fist and Dual Crowbars, but that's just on your turn! Driving Mantis is for messing with the villains, making them beat up on Greazer's hair so he beats them back. (It's so much more satisfying than just having a villain target hit itself!)

To illustrate the point, starting with that card made games against Agent of Gloom Spite and Miss Information super-easy today. He almost single-handedly tore them apart with their own retaliation damage. (With a major assist from Visionary in Spite's case!)

bolnerap

Driving Mantis is amazing against a couple of villains, especially Spite. Also, Pipe Wrench / Driving Mantis is basically the only reason I was able to beat the "Ridiculous Challenge Time" one-shot.

The Burning Stickman

Belle Sorciere wrote:

My current favorite is Scorched Earth because every time I play it, it shifts the balance in the heroes' favor.

The first time we played Vengeance in Freedom Tower, it wasn't going well. Then Ra plays that and does a whopping 8 damage to everything, wiping out all the minions and hammering the villain characters. It was a definite turning point and we won handily from there.
jesse_garcia_87
jesse_garcia_87's picture

dude, I'd been usually (for the last year or so) ignoring Driving Mantis, Riviting Crane, or the other Style, almost always focusing on Grease Monkey Style thinking that just pumping out more damage was necessary, especially since his base power is kinda Meh. but fought Plague Rat the other night with a friend (mostly to show the craziness with the Jack Handle and being infected) and Mr. Fixer almost took no damage from anything. wasn't hurting himself and was re-directing all the little pings and pongs that bloody Rat did. 

TL:DR i have newfound respect for Driving Mantis. 

In the effort of doing stupid things, I'm a FLIPPIN' Genius!
-Me.

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture

Dandolo wrote:

Speaking of Ra one of my favorites cards is Flesh of the Sun God. I love playing it along with Imbuded Fire turning Ra into a support hero focused on preventing Hero self damage.

I love these cards too, although the last time I played Ra we had Absolute Zero on the team and we weren't really set up for him to power himself up with imbued fire, rather it would have nerfed him lots.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I love Driving Mantis. Very often when I have that out, Fixer will end the game with 10-15 hp more than the other heroes. And, yes, I consider the redirected damage as damage from Mr. Fixer, so he also does a tremendous amount of damage that game too.

However, my favorite use is to make the other heroes much more powerful. It allows you to stack many effects that hit multiple targets onto one target.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

saykhia
saykhia's picture

Koga wrote:

saykhia wrote:
Insanity.We all love Infinitor's deck so much it'd be great if we could see all the cards in one turn.

I guess you've never been on a Surprise Shopping Trip with him yet. He kept bringing out card after card. We went though most of his deck in a single turn. Think we went from nearly full health down to single digits that turn.

In my last game with Infinitor we got him down to single digits and then he just cracked. Insanity came out, played half his deck and then revealed another Insanity (Ra must have said something that REALLY pushed his buttons) which played the rest of his Manifestations. We did not survive the end of villain turn.

(no Surprise Shopping Trip though)

Prefers smooth peanut butter, but loves crunchy numbers.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Arcanist Lupus wrote:
Bloogo will always have a special place in my heart for being part of my favorite Video Game bug. (Namely that for awhile if Bloogo was attached to a Vitality Conduit that was attached to Bloogo, the game couldn't decide what play area they belonged in so they went and hid in the center behind the art. )
That's amazing.  I'm sorry I missed it.
Jeysie wrote:
I am sad Unity won't have any more canon bots, because I want to see what her quips would be for all the other heroes' expies.
She might still!  We haven't seen a variant of Unity as an ally in OblivAeon, and those crossover variants are so much fun that I wouldn't be surprised if Adam finds some more ways of sneaking them into future products.  I'd love to see an alternate version of her that joined Dark Watch or the Prime Wardens and made bots for all of them.  We wouldn't get flavor text, of course, though.

I really need to pay closer attention to art and flavor text when I play.  I get so focused on the mechanics, I miss out.  I mostly enjoy combos more than single cards, but I'm always happiest to see The Ultimate Target, Buffer Overflow, and Twist the Ether.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Remember what Christopher said in the first Letters Page interlude: everything is canon!

Natediggadoggity

I realized one of my favorite cards today is Wrecking Uppercut, from KNYFE's deck. It just fits the theme so well, and feels so satisfying, (especially with the actual cards) that she hits a villain so hard they lose the top card of their deck.

And then the flavor text is hilarious too, because she's getting fed up with Fright Train's pun train! (About Trains)

It's also very satisfying to use her Focusing Conduit power if it destroys a target. It's like: "I killed that thing so hard I broke the blade off in his chest!"

The Burning Stickman

For art, Haka of Shielding. Especially taken juxtaposed with Ambuscade's Personal Cloaking Device, because that card is set up to have Ambuscade as a Predator-esque merciless hunter stalking unsuspecting prey, then Haka of Shielding shows the prey is still unsuspecting because he didn't even notice the actual attack.

I just imagine muttered French cussing in the background as Haka wonders what's going on.

steveothemocker

My favorite is Extremist Skyscraper's Huge card. I love how the power mechnically represents her either picking up someone/something and hurling it at a foe. Or She's going rapage and flipping the whole table(ground) hurting everyone. Plus it led to one of my favorite momments ever in this game, where I knocked out all the gods of Ennead Advanced at the same time by chucking Explosive Wagon at Atum.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

I was just thinking about how some cards manage to get the perfect combination of mechanics + theme.

Like the Shinobi Assassin: ninjas are more dangerous when you CAN'T see them than when you can!

Or the power on the Staff of Ra: chuck a priceless artifact at your foes!

Best of all, though, is Consider the Price of Victory. Baron Blade starts monologuing ("He starts MONOLOGUING!") and the heroes take Sonic damage.

Powerhound_2000

I like how Grenade Launcher follows the trope of not looking back at the explosion.  Retcon akways makes me chuckle having with Guise just inserting himself into Wraith's history.  

darkroydante
darkroydante's picture

I just want to play the Harpy's deck very badly.

Until then, my single favorite card is probably High Risk Behvaiour. The art, flavor text, and game text are all great. Adjusting one token at the start of the turn can really set up some impressive plays, but more often than not I just add another token to fuel the High Risk-Looking Up combo. 

My favorite villain card is Losing To The Odds. I think it's fantastic that one of the longest player discussions I've ever been a part of in SotM was figuring out exactly how to get Ra to hit Nightmist and Fixer to exact HP values to win the game, which involved Nightmist redirecting damage to Fixer and other silliness.  

"Hey team, it's two 4 runes!"

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

It surprises me that, in a thread about peoples favorite cards/flavor texts, that the OG godfather of great flavor texts has not been mentioned a single time in this thread.

Lets take a second to remember the card that set the tone in SotM for great art/flavor text combos.

Turret Mode