The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One-shot Week 5

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester
Weekly One-shot Week 5

This one was a bit more intense than last week's. Managed to get a mint, but everyone was in single digits. Made a really bad play with Wrest the Mind on a Psyweaver early on, but Legacy managed to keep Vis alive with a combination of Fortitude and Lead From the Front. Not being able to have Legs go first definitely makes things a little difficult for a couple of rounds.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

i could barely hit him! what did you do??!

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Sounds like it's against Advanced Voss with at least one Gene-Bound Guard coming out early?

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Not Gene Bound Guard but Tamar.  I don't think the Guard shows up until much later.  I got Near Mint on this one as I jut had too many mistakes and misplays.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

armadagon
armadagon's picture

Nailed it first try thanks to Oxygen Leak w/12 cards in Wagner's discard.  Getting both Meteor Swarms out early made for some interesting plays.  Including having Legacy's Take Down last an extra turn.  Tempest used Into the Stratosphere to lock up Voss's draws, while Legs and Visionary cleaned up the riff raff.  Once Voss Flipped, I kept cleaing up his new minions so that he couldn't flip back.  On the final turn, Voss had just dropped Forced Deployment with 8 minions in his discard.  Tempest smacked Voss for 15 damage himself via Lightning Storm and Grevious Hail Storm thanks to his Gene-Bound Shackles, Legacy's Galvanize and Inspired Presence, and Visionary's Twist the Ether.  Legs then Thokked Voss, Galvanized, and Motivational Charged him.  Visionary then Demoralized him for another 3 damage, letting the Oxygen Leak finish him for 12 damage.  Amusingly enough, I finished with Tempest at 13, Legacy at 14, and Visionary at 15.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=603921599

My Livestream - Streaming every Thursday from 9 to Midnight

My YouTube Archive - Missed the stream?  Catch up here!

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

So are the decks set in this one, or random?

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

The decks are set, but things like Maintenance level can cause your deck to become randomized.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

RanisTheSlayer

These are not getting any easier. I sat behind the meteor storms and built up an offense revolving around Legacy getting ready to intercept damage he was immune to, and when the time was right, I wiped the board with a Visionary + double Fire in the Biosphere combo. After that it was just a matter of paying attention, letting Tempest hit Voss every turn, and not letting Visionary do anything useful in the second half of the game so the base wouldn't blow up.

I drew almost all of Tempest's deck and never saw a flash flood. Pretty cruel, devs!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=603958084

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Sorry all, this was not meant to be on Advanced. That's a mistake on my part. I've posted up the non-advanced version as well, so you are free to try both.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

matsplat99

I loved the weekly one shot this week. I used Dark Visionary to make sure self destruct sequence never came up then I incapacitated her when legacy had 2 heroic interceptions in his hand and danger sense out and tempest had 1 reclaim. Then I used Dark Visionary incapacitated power to get 3 oxygen leaks out. Then I just watched Voss slowly lose to oxygen leak.

mackcrockett

Double oxygen leak while in TK cocoon with Danger sense and incapped Tempest. Mint. ("Air? We don't need no stinkin' air!")

EDIT: Advanced. 

waedens
Playtester

Advanced - Mint. Crazy game. Made several really bad choices early and was about to call it quits with both Tempest and Visionary in capacitated and Legacy at 2HP, but then I realized that Visionary could put a meteor swarm back on the environment deck. That let Legacy turtle and build up a little with motivational charge. Then oxygen leak came out and I realized it could wipe the board and with the bionaut keeping Vos on his front side Tempest just needed to keep Legacy immune to toxic damage. Legacy just kept healing enough to survive anything that got played. Won the game with only the environment ever dealing Vos damage. 

waedens
Playtester

Looks like the environment was the MVP for most people in this one. 

PeterCHayward
PeterCHayward's picture
Game Designer

Mint! I saw the first comment (about it being ridiculously hard) and played suuuuuuuper cautiously. Then I won with everyone above 20 HP, and came back to learn there was an advanced version (which I wasn't playing!)

Australian living in Toronto. I make a lot of games. http://about.peterchayward.com

stevelabny
stevelabny's picture

i played regular and minted it.  I've been using the environment a lot in the earlier challenges but I didn't use it at all this time.

I sat under the safety of a Meteor Swarm for one round on turn 2or3  and then played Wrest the Mind on the ship to help me wipe the 6 minion build-up clean in 2 turns one of which I was protect by Heroic Interception. (Although I can swear that the first round it only let me redirect the damage 1 out of 3 times.)  After the board was clear, I sat Dark Visionary's base power on the environment deck while she played cards to keep cycling Voss' weakest minions on his deck,  while Legacy did his Galvanize + Motivational Charge every round, and Tempest did Vicious Cyclone for 1+2 from Legacy +2 from Shackles + 1 from Nemesis  = 6 plus Electrical Storm for 1 +2 + 2 + 1 = 6 plus Greivous Hail Storm for 2+2+2+1=7 plus the occasional one-shot for another 6-10.  Everyone was still in their teens when I finished.

Hadn't seen the advanced mode when I started it up. But I'm pretty sure with the way I was setup it wouldn't have mattered much.

Now I have a Good from week 1 (got my Ipad two days before) , a Near-Mint on the Miss Information because I stupidly didn't adjust to let the Krakens eat her, and mints on the rest .Not too shabby.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

MigrantP wrote:

Sorry all, this was not meant to be on Advanced. That's a mistake on my part. I've posted up the non-advanced version as well, so you are free to try both.

I think I still would have lost my first go around even on non advanced.   Though Voss would have been much lower on HP. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Reverend Pete

Regular version mint.

After the initial minions and a few others were in the trash, I used lots of Into the Stratospheres, Take Downs and Suggestions (recycling them with Reclaim from the deeps) to keep Voss playing the same Quark Drive Translocator for 7 or 8 turns in a row.

Voss became a one-trick pony with a trick that didn't even work! 

Each finished with about 10hp -ish.

Now to try the misprint advanced version....I'm guessing this will have different results....

metaphysician

Good lord.  I got Mint, but with Tempest and Legacy incaped, and Visionary at 1 hit point.  And I spent maybe half the game with Legacy at 2 and Visionary at 1.  Everything relied on proper use of Tempest incap ability and Next Evo to prevent essentially all damage, combined with letting the biosphere burn.

Kratos13

Near Mint on Advanced.  Forgot to Turmoil Voss and the Conqueror came out and did too much damage before I could kill it.  For the second game, made sure to Turmoil and put the ships/quark drive on the bottom.  Hid under Meteor storm until Tempest had Hailstorm and Genebound Shackles, Legacy with Fortitude, Danger Sense, Ring, Motivational Charge, Lead from the Front.  Did the Legacy skips for Countdown keeping Heroic Interception in play trick as well.  Suggestion kept Voss trash low so I could handle Forced Deployment. 

So afterwards I tried Regular, beat it first time and only got Near Mint.  I'm 90% sure I didn't rewind.  Although if no one else encounters this problem, maybe I did rewind and forgot about it.

waedens
Playtester

I didn't realize that you could play both. Probably linked together somehow. 

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

We left the Advanced one there as a misprint, so that if people had earned it they wouldn't lose it.

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

Okay, so I tried the advanced version, and lost. Then I tried the regular version, beat it on the first try, and got near-mint. That doesn't seem intentional. I was under the impression that they were two separate achievements. Otherwise I would have gone for the easier first.

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Mint on Advanced

I, too, erroneously used Wrest the Mind on the Psi-Weaver. Since it's immune to its own attacks, it ends up hitting Visionary over and over. Dangerous, dangerous mistake!

After that, though, it was actually a pretty easy game. The key was Dark Visionary controlling Voss' deck so that the ships and Forced Deployments didn't come out, though at one point there was no choice, as two Forced Deployments were revealed. Even then, the trash was pretty light on minions. Between Tempest slowing down the deck with Into the Stratosphere and (I think) Visionary having done one or two Suggestions, there just wasn't much in there.

Got out both Electrical Storm and Demoralization. Combined with Galvanize and Tempest's base power, that was a lot of attacks against anything Voss played, so the field stayed clean every round. Legacy also got out Motivational Charge and the Legacy Ring to keep the heroes reasonably high in HP. Ended the game with all heroes in the low teens. Used Twist the Ether to mostly neuter Voss' attacks.

So, it was a fairly lengthy game as I whittled away at Voss, but I never felt in much danger. If I remember correctly there was not just one, but two early Meteor Storms. It was an interesting decision to decide whether or not to use them, but I elected to get rid of them and focus on keeping Voss pinned down to few/no cards in play.

Dark Visionary for MVP

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

eugeneruss

Near Mint on the advanced, my survivors had 1 hp each and Dark Visionary was an ex-prophet. Mint on the do-over :) 

clintonbradford

For me fell both times to the Self Destruct + Takedown combo, which paralyzes Legacy and near any Villain.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Killswitch wrote:

Okay, so I tried the advanced version, and lost. Then I tried the regular version, beat it on the first try, and got near-mint. That doesn't seem intentional. I was under the impression that they were two separate achievements. Otherwise I would have gone for the easier first.

They are. Are you sure you didn't use Undo?

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

I'm positive.

Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Others are reporting that they could get Mint on the second one after playing the first. So either it was attempted twice, or undo was used, or there's a bug.

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

I attempted advanced mode once, lost, set it aside.

Then I attempted regular mode once, won, got near-mint without undos.

I'm leaning toward bug. Is there a log of the game that I can submit?

Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

I got GOOD for this week on my iPad. Which is not possible, since that is used for previous week's ones. I sent them a ticket already.

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Reverend Pete

UXM266 wrote:

I got GOOD for this week on my iPad. Which is not possible, since that is used for previous week's ones. I sent them a ticket already.

Same happened for me--I got Mint on regular, and then when I beat Advenaced, it showed up as good.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

It looks like this is a problem that can occur in some cases when there are two "current" one-shots, which is not a normal situation. We have now expired the misprint to resolve the problem, so the best anyone can get on it now is Good.

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

This was surprisingly difficult, since I honestly tend to see Voss as easy. Part of it was my fault -- miscalculated the whole Take Down/Meteor Shower thing, and thanks to the Maintenance Room, I didn't get things like Motivational Charge or Inspiring Presence because of the reshuffle.

Ended up with Tempest incapped, Legacy at 6 HP, Visionary at 5 HP and the Oxygen Leak doing most of the work (although Visionary finished him off with Demoralization).

Honolulu Blue

I go away for a couple of weeks and find some controversy over this one-shot.  I had a fairly easy time with it.  I play against Voss a fair amount and I also play with three heroes most of the time.  I'm not sure I've played this particular combo, but I've played very similar ones.  This one was Normal difficulty on my Kindle Fire.

Attachment(s):