The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One-Shot #268: The Floor Is Lava

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
“Mad Dog”
Weekly One-Shot #268: The Floor Is Lava

I'm not a big fan of the Kaargra Warfang/Bloodsworn Colosseum fights.  They tend to be fast, brutal and short.  This fight was no exception.

SPOILERS below

Well, you just gotta figure Kaargra is gonna come out, and you need to be set up to take her down in one round.  I tried oh so hard to defeat all the gladiators on the field so that Kaargra would come out early (giving me a little breathing room) but she didn't.  She came out due to a card she played in round 3, and I knew that I had to put her down before the round ended.  LUCKILY a "Fickle Fans" card came out as well, giving the heroes 5 "favor" points and more importantly taking 5 "favor" points away from the gladiators.  If it weren't for this, the heroes would have lost on Kaargra's turn in round 3.
I then hit Kaargra with everything the heroes had, and the Naturalist KO-ed her on his turn.  Which was good, since Tachyon couldn't do damage thanks to "Ashclaw R'velos".

I hate "Ashclaw R'velos".

The heroes won, 30 favor points to 15.  The heroes also scored a large number of titles, several of which were important to their win. Oh, and the heroes were at a healthy 20/17/18/20/14. Then again, I rarely lose against Kaargra due to hit points.

One key move for me was that Lifeline played "Repair Ley-Line" on his first turn, which among other things played a target card from the environment deck.  I knew Sky-Scraper could "go large" on her turn, and use her "big" innate power to destroy the environment target and then make a big attack on a gladiator.  Teamwork, guys, teamwork.

There are probably many other paths to victory in this fight, and I suspect there are many, many, many more paths to defeat.  I'll take my win, hold the "Title" belt over my head and exit the ring, happy to be still standing.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Yes, Ashclaw is the worst. I thought getting Living Weapon on Tachyon was going to make the game easy, but nooooo! >:V

FrivYeti
FrivYeti's picture

Ultimate Kaargra is the worst.

I almost won, but I made the mistake of having one more point than the Gladiators, so I got killed by Fickle Fans the turn before I would have closed the deal. 

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Yeah, my second attempt was derailed when Kaargra flipped. The pools were even, so everyone hit themselves (Seeker on Sky-Scraper = very bad!), and I didn't have that H buffer to deal with Kaargra over the next turn. Oops. :B

JacobL582

I usually hate Kaargra too... but this one was fun!  I managed a mint on the 2nd environment turn.  Kaargra never flipped for me.  I was really nervous when I made it through Tachyon's second turn with only 19 favor and Kaargra was about to drop the hammer in round 3, but I got really and the 1 environment card came out that could let me win it: Ember Shaman.  Picked up my 20th favor token by taking out the Ember Shaman with Skycraper's power.  I was proud of myself for one unconventional Stuntman move: he won the Indiscriminate title in round two with some friendly fire via Violent Escalation.

Here are the favor splits, to see who really carried the team.  Not really surprising, since Skycraper had lots of in-canon time in the Arena:

Skyscraper: 12, Stuntman: 3, Lifeline: 2, Tachyon: 2, Naturalist: 1

SPOILERS below, here's the detailed breakdown:

Stuntman played and used the Lance-Flammes.

On Lifeline's turn, use Repair Leyline, give the power to Naturalist, who activates Croc and plays The Predator's Eye, targeting Orrim and dealing him 4 damage (1 favor).  Give the extra card draw to Skyscraper.

On Skycrapers turn, play both Colossal Left Hooks against Orrim (now up to 4 favor), then her power destroys the Core Tunneler (5 favor), earns The Living Weapon,  (6 favor), and hits Perth for 4 damage, also earning The Seeker (9 favor).

Naturalist plays Gazelle, activates Rhino, and plays Primal Charge, dealing 3 damage to Perth.

Tachyon plays Supersonic Response.

After surviving the Environment and Kaargra again, Stuntman goes unconventional and plays Violent Escalation, hitting Ashclaw, Tachyon, and Skycraper for 1, not getting hit by Tachyon (style points!), then destroying Perth, which earns him Indiscriminate.  Then he uses Tireur Incroyable to his Ashclaw for 2 and bring the Hero Favor count up to 12.

Lifeline plays Harrow to earn Reckless and hit Ashclaw and Behemoth for 3 each (14 favor).

Skycraper uses Upheaval to destroy the Behemoth (keeping it for herself) and earn Death Caller, then hits Ashclaw for 5 (17 favor).

Naturalist plays Natural-Born Vigor, activates Croc, plays Natural Forms Power, and hits Ashclaw for 3.

Skyscraper plays Lightning Reflexes, Sucker Punch, and Research Grant to destroy Ashclaw and earn Chaos Lord (19 favor).

Then when the Shaman came out, Skyscaper used her Behemoth Crystal to activate Upheaval a third time.  Seems like raw treatment of the Shaman, but it got the heroes the favor they needed!

-Jacob

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Wow, holy crap! :O That's so simple, but it requires a couple unexpected plays to pull off. Nicely done!