The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One Shot 219 Reap What You Sow

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
“Mad Dog”
Weekly One Shot 219 Reap What You Sow

Challenge Edition Akash'Bhuta faces Akash'Thriya, Absolute Zero, KNYFE and Omnitron-X in the Nexus of the Void.

This went down about how I expected.  Challenge Edition Akash'Bhuta doesn't take damage when you destroy its limbs (ack!) so this is gonna be a long slog of a fight.

I expected a key component of my win would be getting Akash'Thriya set up so that her seed pods would take over the environment deck and for her to play "As the Earth Turns" turn after turn as long as she could, and that's just what happened.  Doing this slowed down Akash'Bhuta's card plays and let me finish the game before its really horrible cards could be played.  Oh, and Akash'Flora (along with Omnitron-X) kept everyone healed up.  In fact Akash'Flora ended up the game with over 30 hit points.

Absolute Zero actually got set up relatively quickly and he started putting out low but steady damage round after round.

KNFYE really didn't get great cards but also was able to start putting out small but steady damage as well.

Omnitron-X surprised me in just how incredibly useful its was this game. It was healing a lot and doing a lot of automatic damage every turn.  I kept expecting Omnitron-X to lose all its cards (either due to damage taken or from one of Akash'Bhuta's really bad ongoing- or equipment-destroying cards) but that never happened.  As mentioned above, with Omni's and Flora's healing, the team won with everyone at almost full hit points.

A long game, but really no surprises.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

This was long, but really fun. Bhuta never had any turns that I couldn't deal with, and between Flora, Healing Pollen and Innervation Ray, I never lacked for HP. Omnitron was amazing for helping everyone set up because Thriya needs all the help she can get and both AZ and KNYFE had their good cards buried deep in their decks. If I'd been a little more reckless with the latter, I probably could have shaved a few turns off the overall total, but it was a good time nevertheless.

Though I seethed inwardly every time Akash'Bhuta took no damage from Ember Dunes. >:B

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Should this be 218 or 219? 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

“Mad Dog”

218?  What 218?  I don't see any 218 here.

;-)

Good call.  Apparently a math degree doesn't always mean you can always count sequentially.  Fixed it.  Thanks.

starkenburg_ale...
starkenburg_alexander's picture

Mint after a long slog, with everyone except AZ in the mid 20s at least (including Flora). The only reason AZ was at 3 at the end was I let him redirect a big Thermal Shockwave to end the game rather than healing him back up to full.

Between Healing Pollen, Flora, and O-X, healing was never an issue. I could have played a lot faster and looser with AZ and KNYFE's HP, but I was worried Bhuta would get one of her monster turns and destroy all my setup. However, after the early game I never saw another destruction card (thanks random shuffles). It was a long slog as I was still targeting every Limb that came out to keep them under control, but eventually AZ got 2x Impales, Cold Snap, Focused Apetures, and Thermal Shockwave out and started dealing consistent damage. The others did some damage as well but not as consistently as AZ.

Thriya's manipulation of the environment deck meant I could keep Bhuta on whichever side I wanted and avoided the worst of the enviroment cards. She also had 5-6 seeds out at a given time to be destroyed as needed.

~A-Kat

QuirkyDM
QuirkyDM's picture

Another mint, here. It was a case of slowly overpowering the villain over the course of the entire game: get enough damage out to destroy the limbs reliably, clog the environment deck to control the environment and Akash'bhuta's environment reactions, get enough ongoing and equipments to overcome card destruction, get enough ongoing destruction to ignore Entomb, and then finally plink away until you win.

As was said, lots of healing going around. It was to the point where Akash'Flora was healing enough that 3-4 characters were getting an extra power use every turn. I let Omnitron-X focus on his own deck first and it didn't take long until all his components were out. Then Akash-Thriya and then Absolute Zero. KNYFE really had a quiet game, but had a few good moments along the way.

TheRebelYell

Pretty much the same as above. Long slog for a mint with everyone at almost full health. I went agressive with thriya and scattered almost all her seeds by turn 3. AZ set up and started doing chip damage. Knyfe was slow but had a few decent hits. OX is the MVP with the healing and synergy no primeval limb lasted longer than a turn and I used the gaussian coil to kill healing pollen and continuously cycle it to get the 4 hp. Without lots of limbs out at a time OX will never have his setup torpedoed.

Mark Adler