The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One Shot 203 - Simply the Best

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester
Weekly One Shot 203 - Simply the Best

Agent of Gloom Spite vs Guise, Rook City Wraith, Legacy and Action Hero Stuntman in the Celestial Tribunal. Well, this isn’t going to be tedius and painful at all.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Surprisingly, it wasn't! You literally just keep playing your best cards and win! XD

I guess this was related to that survey John made a little while ago. I'm pleased to have repped my boy Stuntman. :)

No, but seriously, Spite flips all his stuff mega-quick and then his advanced rules have no clout. By that point, you should be playing Guise the Barbarian (for maximum punching power) and Uh, Yeah on Legacy (for heals off Inspiring Presence) every round, and just beat the snot out of him. Ignore the victims, they don't matter, make sure you get Combat Stance out so Wraith can get some out-of-turn damage on him, and you'll burn him down right quick. I won on the environment turn, without even getting to play In Medias Res. XD

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

It isn't tedious or painful.  This might be more annoying if it was standard Spite who healed when dealing damage though. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

starkenburg_ale...
starkenburg_alexander's picture

Near Mint after firing off too early on Guise the first game. Got him down to ~20 hp but then couldnt get through his DR consistently enough.

Second game I saved up cards for a bigger round, using I Can Do That Too! on Stuntman to increase damage and play an extra card twice in the same round. By the time Selling Out allowed me to play 3 damaging one-shots, we had Inspiring Presence, Uh, Yeah Im That Guy, Galvanize, 2x All My Own Stunts, and Guise the Barbarian doing a Blatant Reference and just wailed on Spite to death.

Spoilers, I went 1st and 5th drugs first round, 2nd and 4th the second, and left the 3rd for the third. This allowed the environment to be destroyed early and left his DR for last to allow for plinking damage until then.

~Komori

Missingno
Missingno's picture

Man, if this is the best then where's my scholar and his two Don't Dismiss Anythings?

I'll put things in here later.

“Mad Dog”

To paraphrase:
“Spite; why did it have to be Spite?”

Okay, I got a mint, and am very happy with it.  But my game was over on the third round, and it needed to be because at least half the heroes weren't going to survive Spite's next turn.  So my question is, where are other players getting cards like Wraith's "Combat Stance" or Guise's "Guise the Barbarian"?  I was mining Guise's deck like mad, playing two "Where Did I LeaveThat?" cards, looking for "Blatant Reference" (which I got on the final round and made good use of) and "Guise the Barbarian" (which I never saw).  Now, I used Wraith's "Impromptu Invention" on round 1 to get out "Razor Ordinance" (and used it to *great* effect), so maybe using this card to play a different equipment card would shuffle Wraith's deck differently, but I gonna believe "Razor Ordinance" is Wriath's "Best Card" in this case (Wraith put a ton of damage on Spite with it).

I was wondering if Legacy could get his "Next Evolution"/"Lead From the Front" combo going, so the heroes could survive longer, but I never saw "Next Evolution", so this was a damage race, with the heroes sending out just a bit more damage to Spite than they were taking in.

Oh, and I *almost* missed that I could use the effect of Spite's "PL531 Compound Upsilon" power to put Guise's "Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy" card back into Guise's hand so Guise could play it again the next turn.  Thanks, Spite!  That actuallly was very helpful, allowing Guise to duplicate Legacy's "Inspirational Presence" card and increase all the heroes' attacks for 2 rounds rather than just one.

bolnerap

I didn't have nearly the same survival issues as Mad Dog - on round 1, I searched for Stun Bolt with Wraith and played Micro Targeting Computer, and that really helped slow down Spite's damage. Still, this was a damage race that I was mostly able to win off chip damage from Guise, Wraith (who literally never got to do anything but Stun Bolt every round and play a disposable equipment), and Legacy. Stuntman never really got going, but had a couple good hits off L'Embuscade and Coup Vexant.

People's draws are going to be different based on when the discard-from-deck drug comes out. I saw it on turn 2. Sadly, I missed Guise the Barbarian, but I was able to get good use out of recycling Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy to have a persistent double Inspiring Presence, and playing it three times was the only reason Wraith even survived.

Mint at 12, 3, 11, and 7.

“Mad Dog”

D'uh!  I forgot about the Spite "Drug" card that forces discards.  Yeah, that's probably the difference.  Thanks for pointing out my blind spot.

Hmmm, "Stun Bolt".  Maybe I was too hasty jumping on "Razor Ordinance".  Especially if I could get two "Stun Bolt" cards in play and "Utility Belt".  (In my first game, Wraith had "Razor Ordinance"/"Throwing Knives"/"Micro Targetting Computer"/"Utility Belt" in play at the end and used them to devastating effect). I might need to give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

-metablender

Mint with everyone but Stuntman in the single digits, although by that point everyone stayed stable. That was mainly due to me trying to save the victims until I realized it was a fruitless endeavor.

There are good general strategies across the board here, especially how Mad Dog notices that PL531 Compound Upsilon can let Guise recycle his better Ongoings before they are destroyed at the start of his turn, and his place in round order allows this to be utilized for great effect. Legacy was built to tank for the team and keep morale high, Wraith kept Spite on lockdown with Stunbolt and dealt with a Mega Computer on the fritz (as that was the other Hero card I would return to hand with PL531), and Stuntman and Guise had mega turn-plays with cards like L'Embuscade, Cliffhanger, and Selling Out for the latter.

For those struggling to keep damage out prioritize getting Inspiring Presence in play and having Legacy use Galvanize when he has the chance. Stuntman can do All [His] Own Stunts to increase his damage, and Guise can duplicate both their effects to the point I wold regularly hit Guise for 4-6 damage a pop. And both the Wraith and Spite hate each other, so this really is the best team to tackle Spite: Agent of Gloom in this instance.

Physicswizzard

Would have minted but it froze when Spite destroyed the "Repesentative of Earth" which due to some Stuntman... well stunts.... didn't actually have a hero under it.  He was down to 3 HP and would have fallen to combat stance that turn too. :(

Physicswizzard

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

That sounds... weird. o.O Hope you reported it as a bug!