The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One-Shot #16 : Time and Again

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
jorgenp
Weekly One-Shot #16 : Time and Again

Chrono Ranger, Greatest Legacy, Omnitron-X, Freedom 6 Bunker and Freedom 6 Unity vs. La Capitán in the Time Cataclysm.

This is another damage fest, and you can take down Maria (Helena Tereas etc.) pretty quicky if you concentrate damage on the ship, then her.  I went in blind and got a Mint without too much worry.

The Environment is kind of nice to you here, and I suggest you let the deck play as many cards as possible.  I made sure to take out The Amazing Mable, but I left Trueshot in play for the whole game as there was not much point in getting rid of her.  Make sure you take out the ship quickly to slow down her plays, and then pile damage onto the captain.

I had Omnitron-X playing Unity's cards for her, which was quite useful, especially with Greatest Legacy giving him 2 chances of freee bots per round.  Bunker's shuffle is pretty poor, so I suggest using Auxilliary Power Source in the first round to speed his deck up a bit.

The captain did flip once for me, as she plays an early Plunder that can take out a few cards, but Chrono Ranger can easily get rid of all her armour if he's played Displaced Armory to get his hat into play beforehand.

Overall, I found this one to be very fun.  Not too difficult, and it's nice to have a mostly friendly environment to play with.

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Free bots, free bots, free bots. Mint.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Kratos13

Mint as well.  I've had bad games against Le Capitan, so I took a more cautious approach.  

No Executions on the Ship (to safeguard against All Together Now)

Unity's first Flash Forge was a Construction Pylon and Volatile Parts (since many things with Le Capitan target lowest HP target).

Mable was down in Round One, Shopping Trip took down the Ship in Round Two, I took out Trueshot in Round 3.

Legacy and Omnitron-X concentrated on Unity who eventually got Swift, 3 Raptors, Cryo and Champion Bot out.

Le Capitan ended up playing lots of Walk the Planks.  Raiding Party brought out Chip, Final Breath, Siege Breaker and Battle Forged who killed a bot and brought out L'Epeiste but at that point the heroes were strong enough to deal with them quickly.

Le Capitan went down in Round 6.

Fun game and glad Le Capitan was not at her worst.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

It was a long fight, but I went down in my first attempt. I credit a lot of small lapses in judgment -- placing plink damage in the wrong spots, concentrating on the wrong targets -- but I also was playing Chrono's cards with Omnitron's power, and that never turned out quite as well as I'd hoped. Next time, Unity.

darkroydante
darkroydante's picture

Mint. 

Chrono-Ranger put out early contracts on Mable and the ship to get rid of them both. Legacy helped with Inspiring Presence. I actually had Omnitron-X and Legacy focus their powers on Chrono-Ranger to increase his damage output. Bunker and Unity got ignored for most of the game, honestly. Unity played bots to tank Final Breath for 2 rounds, Bunker played Foam Grenade and fired Omni-Cannon once. I used Heroic Interception to dodge the damage from Shopping Trip, so it took out most of the Villain targets for me. By the time she brought back out her Timeship, I could do enough damage to her to safely ignore it and end the game. La Capitan never flipped.   

"Hey team, it's two 4 runes!"

Reverend Pete

Mint.

Omnitron X and Legacy allowed for extra plays/bots, Chrono Ranger and Unity did ridiculous amounts of damage, and Bunker was....present to receive a participation ribbon.

I did have an early Plunder and Shopping Trip combine to remove all of my early set-up (ongoings and bots), and I almost used the rewind when I chose Unity as the target of Legacy's power (instead of choosing Omni-X and THEN choosing Unity as the target of the timeshift), so I was a bit concerned in the first couple of rounds, but it didn't take too long for Unity to get set back up anyway. 

Legacy was in single digits at the end, but everyone else in mid-teens.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Mint.  Dealt with Mabel quickly, and the ship in the next round.  Got out Swift Bot and two Platform Bots, only for them to all get wiped out when Maria Helena's Revenge came out.  Left Trueshot there the whole game.  No one died, but Legacy came close.  Bunker's main utility was dealing with Revenge, O-X alternated between helping out Unity (who never really got going again after her bots got wiped) and Chrono-Ranger, who was MVP with a Compound Bow, Ultimate Target, By Any Means, and Hunter & Hunted.  Ship came back once, after which it was put down hard with No Executions.

La Capitan never flipped - the only two cards under her were the two Platform Bots (Swift bot was killed by the Surprise Shopping Trip)

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

emcg575797
emcg575797's picture

Mint.

I took out the ship in turn one and as Chrono-Ranger kept drawing his bounty cards used him to take out La Capitain while the others kept the crew under control. Held onto two Terrible Tech-strikes and two Heroic Interceptions, so when Motley Crew appeared I went full Jeremy and Chrono-Ranger did two rounds of 29 damage (8+7 from TTS then 7+7 from the bow). With no damage coming back, it was all over.

I used Legacy mainly to get Omnitron-X to get Unity to play cards out of turn. Bunker dealt with Helena's Revenge and once he got his grenade launcher going helped Unity handle the crew. There was a flip, but it was dealt with quickly.

Grandpa Legacy ended on 1HP everyone else in the mid teens.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Lesson learned, I Timeshifted Unity every chance I could and it was nearly a rout. Go figure!

LewdDolphin21
LewdDolphin21's picture
Playtester

Victory by Legacy's second turn! It's absolutely hilarious, too.

Round 1:
Chrono-Ranger: Sudden Contract - By Any Means - La Capitan - La Capitan / Quick Shot - La Capitan
Legacy: Inspiring Presence / Gung-Ho - Omnitron-X - Timeshift - Chrono-Ranger - Displaced Armory - Jim's Hat - La Capitan
Omnitron-X: Disruptive Flechettes - Skip / Timeshift - Unity - Flash Forge - Discard all but Platform Bot - Draw Construction Pylon, Cryo Bot, and a third card*
Bunker: Skip / Skip
Unity: Construction Pylon / Construction Pylon - Cryo Bot - Platform Bot

Round 2:
La Capitan ends up playing four cards, Surprise Shopping Trip does her 8 damage, Cryo Bot does her 12 damage
Chrono-Ranger: Sudden Contract - The Ultimate Target - La Capitan - La Capitan; Eye on the Prize - La Capitan; Displaced Armory - Compounded Bow - La Capitan / Compounded Bow - La Capitan
Legacy: Skip / Gung-Ho - Chrono-Ranger - Quick Shot - La Capitan

La Capitan damage tally:
Chrono-Ranger - 30
Cryo Bot - 18
Surprise Shopping Trip - 18
Platform Bot - 5
Omnitron-X - 4

* Drawing a third card from Flash Forge is just to rig La Capitan's start-of-turn shuffle.

Video.

robb8888

Mint, with no hero under 20 HP.  Got lucky on the villain draws -- El Capitan was only able to get out three crew members (Trueshot, Mable, Chip), and never had more than two out at once.  The "reduce all damage by 1" and "reduce all HP recovery by 2" environment cards (I can't remember their names) hurt El Capitan much more than they hurt me.  

Between Grandpa Legacy and Omnitron-X, CR and Unity each got an extra free draw/play each round.  By Round 3, Unity had a couple of bots, Jim was wearing his Hat, and had three bounties out (By Any Means and Ultimate Target on El Capitan) and Hunter/Hunted to add to Grandpa Legacy's Inspiring Presence, so he was doing 12-14 per shot to El Capitan with the Compounded Bow.

At the beginning of Round 4, two Terrible Tech-Strikes (27 pts each) plus the Compounded Bow (another 12) sent El Capitan screaming back to the astral plane.

Bunker....sat and watched.

(Post-Script:  Played it again, and largely the same results -- only saw Trueshot, Mable, and Chip.  Grandpa Legacy took a bit more damage (self-inflicted from Heroic Interceptions), and this time El Capitan got shot (Turret Bot+Champion+Inspiring Presence), zapped (Platform Bot+CB+IP) and chomped to death by two Raptor Bots (6 bots out plus all the above).  This time Bunker.....also sat and watched.)

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

This was by far one of my favorite one-shots. Simply for the reason that everyone did it differently to a certain degree. I've played it three times (ipad, Twice on PC) and each game was a different run. Still, got Mint on all. These games are my favorite because they don't require the same playthrough by each person, and can allow one or two non-perfect plays,

Essentially, games like this are by far one of my most favorite! Keep it up Handelabra and the others who help with it.

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Rabk
Rabk's picture
Playtester

I hit critical mass the round that Fixed Point came out. Unity had 11 bots in play and 2 Powered Shock Waves in hand. Maria etc. was not terribly happy with the little tinker by the time Fixed Point expired.

...yeah, me too.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Huh. I had a much harder go of it than many of you. La Capitan had her whole crew out multiple times, wiped all of my stuff early and often, and I spent a lot of time getting her to flip back after she flipped.

A couple of Heroic Interceptions saved the team during bad times. Legacy giving Chrono-Ranger attacks and O-X time-shifting Unity were the MVPs. Unity eventually overwhelmed La Capitan, though it took Stealth Bot protecting Swift Bot and regular Inspired Repairs on Swift Bot to really get Unity going.

Kicking for myself for not thinking of having Legacy give a power usage to O-X, to timeshift Unity twice each round.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

JimmyTheCannon

This was perhaps the easiest One-Shot (for me) that I've ever played. I mostly used Legacy > Omni-X > Timeshift Unity (I tried timeshifting Chrono-Ranger twice and got a Terrible Tech-Strike and a Sudden Contract while both damage bounties were already out, and while it wasn't a terrible play it seemed using it on Unity was better). Didn't get a single piece of equipment out for Chrono-Ranger, but between Inspiring Presence and his two damage increasing bounties he was still doing 4 damage a pop with Quick Shot.

Did a first-turn Heroic Interception, which allowed Unity to get two bots out without taking any damage. When Surprise Shopping Trip came out I used Legacy > Unity to get Stealth Bot out, which made it a fantastic shopping trip - between that and the Heroic, I took very little damage from that.

Only crew I saw were Mabel, Trueshot, and Final Breath. Mabel died (By Any Means, Chrono-Ranger, and Disruptive Flechettes) first  round and got shuffled back into the deck by the ship, which died second round (Chrono, Shopping Trip, Unity bots); Final Breath died to the shopping trip and the smaller hit on a Tech Strike and Trueshot died to Unity's bots. Of course, they both came back very quickly due to A Motley Crew, at which point I just ignored them and focused La Capitan.

Bunker mostly just used Gatling Gun after using Auxiliary Power Supply to get some cards to feed to it (and modes for his power), and took out the couple of ongoings La Capitan managed to play (Maria Helena's Revenge, would have done the same with Captain's Orders but she died between playing it and Bunker's turn). La Capitan dned up dying with only one card underneath her, to Omni-X's Singularity blowing up everyone else's equipment. Was it necessary? Nah, Bunker's Gatling Gun would have taken her out. But it was fun.

Went ahead and did last week's afterwards since it was so quick, and ended up clearing it in one attempt with a single rewind. Same theme - deal as much damage as possible as quickly as possible.

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

arenson9 wrote:

Huh. I had a much harder go of it than many of you. La Capitan had her whole crew out multiple times, wiped all of my stuff early and often, and I spent a lot of time getting her to flip back after she flipped.  A couple of Heroic Interceptions saved the team during bad times. Legacy giving Chrono-Ranger attacks and O-X time-shifting Unity were the MVPs. Unity eventually overwhelmed La Capitan, though it took Stealth Bot protecting Swift Bot and regular Inspired Repairs on Swift Bot to really get Unity going. Kicking for myself for not thinking of having Legacy give a power usage to O-X, to timeshift Unity twice each round.

I'm guessing you didn't deal with the ship using No Executions? That seems to be the key to an easy fight in this one.
JimmyTheCannon

mwc146 wrote:

arenson9 wrote:
Huh. I had a much harder go of it than many of you. La Capitan had her whole crew out multiple times, wiped all of my stuff early and often, and I spent a lot of time getting her to flip back after she flipped.  A couple of Heroic Interceptions saved the team during bad times. Legacy giving Chrono-Ranger attacks and O-X time-shifting Unity were the MVPs. Unity eventually overwhelmed La Capitan, though it took Stealth Bot protecting Swift Bot and regular Inspired Repairs on Swift Bot to really get Unity going. Kicking for myself for not thinking of having Legacy give a power usage to O-X, to timeshift Unity twice each round.

I'm guessing you didn't deal with the ship using No Executions? That seems to be the key to an easy fight in this one.

I didn't do that, either, and it was a piece of cake. Just happened to kill it after her card that would have fished it from the trash was played.