The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One-Shot #154, "Changing of the Guard"

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
bolnerap
Weekly One-Shot #154, "Changing of the Guard"

Plague Rat in Magmaria vs. The Sentinels, Void Guard Dr. Medico, Void Guard Idealist, Void Guard Mainstay, and Void Guard Writhe.

Final HP for me was 8/14/0/8, 23, 21, 22, 19. Idealist should have been up and back at 'em at the end but I misplayed the Sentinels' final card.

Both Writhes were instrumental in the ease of victory, as Caliginous Form kept regular Writhe healthy, while VG Writhe had the Cloak and Umbral Siphon for the entire game.

Afflicted Frenzy only had the chance to go off once, hitting Medico in the middle of a Regeneration cycle, so he just shrugged it off.

QuirkyDM
QuirkyDM's picture

Heh, I took too long between starting my thread on this and posting. Ninja'd by bolnerap.

Fairly easy mint with everyone except Void Guard Dr. Medico near full health. There is way too much healing for Plague Rat's 1 damage per round to do much of anything. Two Dr. Medico's provided all the healing needed and then some while Writhe kept Plague Rat's deck full of ongoing cards that VG Idealist destroyed while delivering some beatdowns of her own. Writhe was the only one who was infected and Caliginous Form redirected his start of turn damage to Plague Rat. Writhe even kept trying to grab a magma hot crystal from the lava, but Plague Rat kept jumping in the way of that. :) VG Mainstay focused on damage, but Plague Rat ended up KO'd before he could even bother playing most of his decent cards.

Tyrsis
Playtester

Mint like the others. A fun trick is to let regular medico get infected with his hippocratic oath out. That's just a bit more icing on the cake of easiness. 

Missingno
Missingno's picture

Nothing like a relaxing game of plauge rat, eh?  Mint at 13/14/11/14, 24, 23, 26, 19.  Had a lot of turns where Mainstay sat around doing nothing but swing his belter, and Writhe did a lot of stabbing with the syphon, but aside from that and infecting Medico I pretty much played everyone normally.

I'll put things in here later.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

A fun and easy Mint. Magmaria wasn't a big problem -- only saw one Behemoth, which was nice -- and I unlocked Cosmic Writhe by the end! :D

I think my favorite thing was leaving the Magma Crystal in play and letting Sentinels Writhe redirect a free 1 fire damage to Plague Rat every round.

Reverend Pete

Mint.

Didn't really focus on healing in this damage race (though some certainly happened)--mainly tried to do as much damage as possible. Mainstay went Mano a Mano for a while, I liked the image in my head of Mainstay and the Rat trading clobbers at the edge of a pool of lava. Finished at the end of round 4, with the Ember Shaman allowing Writhe to Siphon the last Umbral out of Plague Rat.

Sentinels 5/12/3/4 HP, Doctor Medico 18HP, Idealist 12 HP, Mainstay 10HP, Writhe 13HP.

Missingno
Missingno's picture

Reverend Pete wrote:

Didn't really focus on healing in this damage race (though some certainly happened)--mainly tried to do as much damage as possible.

Honestly Normal Plague Rat is one the damage race fights that you can just stall out after you kill the locus.  Even with his damage being irriducable one cleansing downpour is enough to completely negate his base damage + Infection.  Once you get two or three of those in a turn you can probably sit on this guy as long as you want to.

Now I'm wondering what damage races in this game are stallable without the Ra/Visonary combo.

I'll put things in here later.

Gus_Smedstad

Mint here. I was feeling rather alarmed at first, given how everyone’s HP dropped in the early game due to Plague Rat AoE attacks, but ultimately two Dr. Medicos makes up for a lot of damage. Particularly once Void Guard Dr. Medico gets Healing Pulse out.

I don’t really know Plague Rat all that well, and I stupidly used Giant Floaty Head to destroy an Infection card, and was surprised by the massive retaliation damage. I really should have read his card again.

Speaking of not knowing characters, I still don’t understand Void Guard Mainstay. I’ve played enough with Void Guard Idealist and Dr. Medico to have a solid grounding on how they work, and some vague understanding of Void Guard Writhe, but the benefits of Mainstay’s self-inflicted destruction still elude me. Aside from the obvious ones like “does X damage when destroyed.” Headlock looks incredibly dangerous, since all damage gets redirected to Mainstay and it’s all irreducible. Maybe if Mainstay were totally immune to the damage (ala Next Evolution), but that doesn’t seem to be one of Mainstay’s things.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Headlock is indeed dangerous and should be used with care--it's most useful against targets that have serious damage reduction themselves.  I find it most useful for "tiny tanks" like Hugin and Runes of Malediction.  As for voluntarily destroying his own stuff, it's most useful either for a last hurrah or for when you have a replacement waiting in the wings.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Gus_Smedstad

Yeah, I can see how headlock would be extremely useful against a minion or object with high damage reduction that doesn't normally do damage itself. Not really applicable against Plague Rat, but there are cards out there that can be a huge pain. Runes of Malediction probably tops that list.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Mint, and I actually played twice to experiment.  Writhe with Caliginous Form and Infection is pretty funny, but Doctor Medico with Hippocratic Oath, Infection, and two Afflicted Frenzies in play is hilarious.  Somehow I even managed to kill Plague Rat with healing (which I reported).

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

FearLord

Mint. Not too difficult to make the healing outstrip the damage here. If you grab Hypocratic oath and put the first infection on Sentinel Medico it seems pretty easy to keep everyone ahead of what Plague Rat is putting out. 

Gus_Smedstad

Wish I’d thought of the Hippocratic Oath / Infection interaction.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Easy Mint. Everyone was at full except VG Medico, who was at 20.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Kratos13

Gus_Smedstad wrote:

Yeah, I can see how headlock would be extremely useful against a minion or object with high damage reduction that doesn't normally do damage itself. Not really applicable against Plague Rat, but there are cards out there that can be a huge pain. Runes of Malediction probably tops that list.

If you’ve got Void Belter or Sweet Rhonda out, you can destroy Headlock the same turn you play it, essentially turning it into a 3 irreducible damage one-shot with no risk to Mainstay (except possibly enduring irreducible Mano a Mano if it’s in play on the same target).

Griff's Dad

Easy Mint.

Re: Void Guard Mainstay, there are enough equipment cards that you can destroy one and get another to play soon thereafter. I'm particularly fond of using Void Belter to destroy itself when I've got buffs from Inspired Presence or something equivalent. 3+buff, then 2+buff, then 2+buff is easily 10+ points of damage in one strike, and I usually draw another Void Belter card soon thereafter.