The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One-Shot #134: Did They Just Press Random?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
starkenburg_ale...
starkenburg_alexander's picture
Weekly One-Shot #134: Did They Just Press Random?

I think its likely!

La Capitan, Bugbear, The Operative, and Miss Information take on Ho-Ho-Ho Guise, Burn-It-All Ra, Visionary Let Loose, and Plain ol' KNYFE on the Floating Platform of DOOM(TM, Property of Mordengrade)

I have not beaten this one yet, though I have gotten close once with KNYFE being liberal with the Incidental Contacts before a badly timed A World Improved protected the villains for just long enough. First game I focused MI down since she drops really fast if you do, but it wasn't enough countering the chaos she causes to justify letting the others run rampant as they did. Second game I tried to more liberally spread the damage, focusing on Bugbear where I could to keep damage minimum. Got them all down to less than 5 hp when A World Improved neutered the last Ra turn I needed. Bugbear then proceeded to Vicious Slash the MDP engines and blow us all out of the sky :/

~Komori

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Made it the second try with Guise highest at 7. No idea what I did to make the diffeence, though.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Basketkeep
Basketkeep's picture

Mint,

I had all my characters incapped, except KNYFE, who was at 1. I made the mistake of going for Bugbear last, but thanks to Ra’s Incap side, I was able to win. But super close.

FearLord

Failed my one attempt so far. My normal tactic of focusing down Bugbear failed dismally as he kept pulling big damage cards and then Feral Brawn, but ironically I had all the other Villains very low given quite a bit of AOE damage...

Most interesting thing was killing Chiquto early while Sky Deck was out - having him on the bottom of La Captain’s deck made her a fair bit more manageable.

Griff's Dad

Mint with characters between 2 and 6 hp.

I do a lot of team fights, and with Bugbear, I think you have to take him down first. Unfortunately, he's tough unless you can stop him from doing damage with something like Hypersonic Assault. None of those types of cards came up for me, so I had to settle for beating the crap out of him, watching him heal 6+ hp, and then doing it again. By the time I got him down, most of my heroes were in single digits. It looked dicey there for a bit, especially since I needed to use Ra's native ability far more than I like (4x during the game, which throws a ton of his cards away).

I too got lucky killing Chiquito while Sky Deck was out. That helped. I also got lucky with Miss Information. In team games without Bugbear, I generally take her down first because she has too many on-goings that can pop up and completely ruin your day. I held my on-going destruction specifically to deal with the worst of her cards, and that paid off.

I also switched up my Guise tactics. Generally I have him give everybody two cards before I start flipping them, but I needed the damage against Bugbear so I gambled and flipped Ra's single card and got a Flame Spike. That helped a lot.

All in all, I think this is one of those fights were a bad random deal can screw you. I didn't get one that bad.

Reverend Pete

Mint.

A wild ride with lots of damage flying around--just have to hang on. Thankfully, there was a quite a bit of area damage from the heroes, which helped a ton. I also rejoiced when Sky Deck buried Chiquito.

The heoroes focussed on Bugbear first, which took a while, and he did a lot of healing, but I think it was worth it. All of the heroes and villains were in the single digits when Bugbear went down.

Then, Guise opened KNYFE's three presents (he had opened Ra's earlier) and between the gift of Amplified Combatant and For the Greater Good allowing an Energy Burn play and Primed Punch power use, all three other villains were KOed right then and there. Merry Guisemas, Paige!

KNYFE 2HP, Visionary 4HP, Ra 8HP, and Guise 4HP.

scifantasy
scifantasy's picture

Near Mint. First game, I just foundered. Not uncommon, but Bugbear was, well. A bear to deal with.

Second game I got out Mental Divergence thanks to Foresight and was able to destroy Ongoings consistently.

But Sky Deck burying Chiquito was probably the single most important play.

Guise, I found all but useless.

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

I found Guise very useful by stealinf KNYFE's gauntlet and punching things. Also great for sacrifical ongoings.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

QuirkyDM
QuirkyDM's picture

Near Mint. I had trouble with the first game. I got Bugbear and Miss Information down, but I didn't take advantage of Sky Deck to get rid of Chiquito so La Capitan and the Operative were still at full health. A special gift from Guise sent the Mobile Defense Platform crashing down into the sea. So I consider it a tie. :)

Second game Bugbear does too much damage and healing off the bat to focus on, so I beat on Miss Information first and let everyone mostly focus on damage. By the time I got a good damage engine going and focused on Bugbear, Miss Information was almost dead and some global damage took her out. Bugbear wasn't too far behind, but then Ra and KNYFE went down. Guise was sitting at 2 and Visionary at 3 with a Decoy Projection.

Demoralize was out and Visionary had Twist the Ether in her hand. I thought about putting it on La Capitan to give Guise a chance to survive, but I threw it on Visionary instead and focused on La Capitan. Guise went down along with the Decoy Projection. Visionary threw out her Telekinetic Cocoon and slowly started to ping away at everyone's health. La Capitan was down to 9 at this point, so Ra finished her off which only left the Operative. With no ongoing destruction, there was nothing the Operative could do and once she got into single digits, Visionary popped out and finished her off.

Gus_Smedstad

Near mint.

First game I went after Bugbear first, and he kept healing about as fast as I was doing damage. By the time I took him down, everyone was down to single digits, and the game didn’t last much longer after that.

Second game, I decided to copy QuirkyDM, and went after Miss Information first. It worked for him, so maybe it would work for me. Really, though, what made the difference was putting Twist the Aether on Bugbear, and then Flesh of the Sun God on everyone with Ra. If Bugbear can’t do damage, he doesn’t heal, and there’s enough damage here to take him down. KNYFE in particular was doing more than anyone else.

Target order thus was Miss Information -> Bugbear -> The Operative -> La Capitan. Taking out the monkey permanently with the Sky Deck neutralizes much of La Capitan’s threat. I think it’s probably smarter to go The Operative -> Bug Bear -> Miss Information -> La Capitan, since The Operative is really the 2nd biggest damage dealer here. The main thing is not bothering with Bugbear until you either turn off his healing or at least you tone down his damage (and thus healing) somehow. 

FearLord

Near Mint. Got on the second try with a couple of changes - I concentrated on some aoe damage early because of some of the big damage cards that Bu Bear starts with. I too took out Misinformation first, but only just before Bugbear. KNIFE went down shortly after that (I’d played a few of her self damage cards to try and take Misinformation out that turn) but I was able to keep everyone else up and take out La Captain first, then The Operative - they were both at about 12 when Bug Bear went down, so fell fairly quickly at that point with KNIFE’s incap letting me get some more big hits out of Ra or Visionary.