The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One-Shot #133 The North Strong and Free

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Demiher0
Demiher0's picture
Playtester
Weekly One-Shot #133 The North Strong and Free

Citizen Dawn vs Expatriate, Rouge Agent Knife, PW Captain Cosmic, Setting Sun Ra in the Mobile Defence Platform. 

So I lost my first game. It was fun but I know there were some misplays in there but also so little ongoing destruction with all those ongoings how is one to chose what to kill. 

I realized I had lost when the Sky Deck took Citizen Truth and Dare, Summer and Sweat and put them all on the bottom of the deck for me to have fun with again next turn. I also blew up Ra's flip side a little too early. Talk about live fast die young. 

Anyway, This felt really close till I got 'greedy' at the end so guess I go back in and try again later today. 

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Mint. Three tips:

1) Cosmic Crest so Cosmic soaks the damage is much more use as a firsr play than the swords (although they make good plays on other people so Cos can keep the constructs healed up)

2) Drawn to the Flame really takes the sting out of having huge number of villain ongoings. “5 damage to everyone without killing myself? Don’t mind if I do.”

3) Dawn has back to back Auroras. Be aware and be prepared.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Mint, never saw an Aurora. Use your sole ongoing destruction to get rid of Channel the Eclipse and try not to let Ra destroy the engines, and you'll be fine. :) I got her to flip-flip, and the whole thing was cake.

Blackfang108
Playtester

Minted, even with B2B Auroras.  I took out RwtD, as I felt putting DOWN the citizens was more critical.

starkenburg_ale...
starkenburg_alexander's picture

Lost my first game, going to try again later.
Dunno why, but just seemed to slip through my fingers. With so little ongoing destruction and never seeing a Drawn to the Flame, I just got overwhelmed with Citizens and card plays.
Managed to flip-flip and Wrecking Uppercut her second Devastating Aurora, but by then everyone was around 10 hp and dropping slowly.

~Komori

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Lost my first game, but it was a near thing.  Double Return with the Dawn is rough.  Ra's one-shot incap to remove all the citizens from the game helped a ton, but not quite enough.  Not totally sure what I could have done differently, although I might try focusing fire on Ra and let him wipe six or seven Citizens out of the game before Dawn flips.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Hey you got the name wrong in the first post. True North Strong and Free =)

When I initially made this one-shot it was Advanced. You're welcome!

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Advanced would have made this a whole different toboggan. c.c

The PayneTrayne
Playtester

Gah. Took me four tries. Third try she would have self-destructed from Channel the Eclipse with only KNYFE left, but then she pulled a Healing Light to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory angry.

Physicswizzard

Mint thanks to pwatson's excelent advise.  I put out the Cosmic Crest right away and basically used the power on it most turns.  When the first Aurora came out I made sure to wait for the second before putting stuff down except for constructs (since they aren't effected by Auroras) and the staff of Ra which I used for the healing since I had multiple copies in my hand.   On a side note, I made sure to give Ra a Cosmic Weapon early so that he didn't have to blow himself up.  Just gave me options.  I was hopeing to find a Drawn to the Flame, but unfortunatly, I did lose it one time I used his innate power.

Physicswizzard

Griff's Dad

Gah. Took me to my third time to win.

First time, I found myself with Citizens Truth, Anvil, and Hammer up. That's doom when you can't negate damage. I realized it was because the on-goings were too much. So second game, I went digging with K.N.Y.F.E.--used her power on herself looking for the Servo-Gauntlets. Never found them. You're going to get the RPG Launcher once, and that's it.

The first two games, I used the RPG Launcher to destroy Return with the Dawn. The third game, I took out Channel The Eclipse instead. That made a huge difference. I won with Ra incapped and everyone else in single digits because Dawn's cards came out a lot more slowly.

Gus_Smedstad

First turn Cosmic Crest just means that Assault and Winter kill it before it helps much. That’s what I did, and what happened to me.

Tried once and lost once at this point. Dawn just has too many “play more stuff” ongoings, and the heroes only have a single RPG. I did make the mistake of shooting Return with the Dawn instead of Channel the Eclipse. In hindight, they’re both “play 1 extra card” ongoings, only Channel the Eclipse is worse because it can play more ongoings.

Not really sure what the optimal play with KNYFE is. I just used her on Ra, since Ra is always dealing damage.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

The thing about Return With the Dawn is, even when she gets two out (which she had against me for at least two rounds at the end), it's not that bad. She doesn't have any really nasty Citizens in this game, and you've got some solid AoE from Ra, if nothing else. They're easy to take out again and again.

Gus_Smedstad

Managed it the second time. Near mint.

Key differences:

Assault must die on turn 1 if Cosmic Crest is to live. Cosmic Crest ends up negating a ridiculous amount of damage if it sticks around, probably enough to turn the tide of the game by itself, considering that several heroes were near death at the end.

The RPG, when it shows up, must take out Channel the Eclipse. It’s much worse than Return with the Dawn.

Citizen Dawn will play Auroras back to back, since there’s nothing that reshuffles her draw deck. Which isn’t too bad, though the first one hurts.

Constructs are immune to Blazing Aurora, so KNYFE’s plays should all go to Captain Cosmic, helping him get stuff out. The constructs are, however, vulnerable to the area-effect minions (Winter, Hammer, Assault), so they’re high priority targets.

Wounding Buffer is a good way to zap AoE minions before they can hurt more than 1 target. Particularly if the Wounding Buffer is augmented by Imbued with Fire.

Dynamic Syphon on Ra is good once he has an AoE power, particularly Drawn to the Flame.

SMG and assault rifle are ways of pinging off Dynamic Syphon on Ra to get better AoE damage.

Citizen Hammer can one-shot constructs if Imbued Fire is out. Fortunately, Wounding Buffer took him out before he could smash all the constructs.

Reverend Pete

Near Mint.

First game was close, but the team didn’t have enough juice to hang on.

Second game, the team made better use of Cosmic Crest to avoid damage, and made it through.

Expatriette 3HP, KNYFE 4HP, Captain Cosmic 11HP and Ra 2HP.

FearLord

Mint. Slightly dicey turn where she flipped back and desastating Aura for the first time and her ongoings popped Assault and Winter back into play (while Battery was out) threatening to wipe my army of constructs out as well, but luckily Dynamic Syphon and Conduit Blade allowed Ra to take out Winter before she could do anything.

With a lot of my set up gone, it took a little longer to finish her, but it was manageable and enough people had Swords from Captain Cosmic that I could keep some damage on until she went down. Everyone in the teens apart from Ra who was lower due to using his base power a few times (and having a Wounding Buffer that meant he hit himself twice...)

Quite satisfying absorbing damage from Dawn and Battery though...

Gus_Smedstad

I was afraid to put Wounding Buffer on Ra or KNYFE because they’re prone to self-harm. When it’s triggered, it’s Wounding Buffer doing the damage, so it doesn’t get boosts from things like the Staff of Ra.