The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Void Cloak and La Capitan

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
hstein3
hstein3's picture
Void Cloak and La Capitan

Not sure if this has been addressed anywhere, but I had an interaction I didn't understand. 

La Capitan stole the Void Cloak from Writhe and put it under her deck. His turn came up, and i tried to use a card to destroy it. "Void Cloak is not in play" it tells me. Okay, fine. I use his power to retrieve the Void Cloak. "Void Cloak is already in play."

I kind of get what the intended outcome would be, here, since the power lets you search deck or trash. Still, this outcome was a bit odd, at least in the wording of the messages. 

http://mrhalbert.blogspot.com, Wherein I talk about gaming and, um, stuff.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I think the second one was just a "let's not waste time searching for something you KNOW isn't there." Or, the game checks deck-trash-hand and if it isn't in any of those, it assumes it's in play. But it definitely isn't in play for card effect purposes.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Now I'm trying to think of some Guise shenanigan that would let it go into Guise's hand or deck, and see what happens then.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I believe you mean 'Shadow Cloak', right?

I'm guessing it could be a little bit easier to understand if the message read 'Shadow Cloak not found indeck/Trash'.

hstein3
hstein3's picture

Phantom5613 wrote:

I believe you mean 'Shadow Cloak', right?

Wow, I feel silly. At least you understood what I meant!

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

I mean, “void cloak” isn’t inaccurate as to what it is.  It lets you void damage.  Related to voidsoul.  And it’s spooky.

hstein3
hstein3's picture

Looking at other threads, I'm seeing people discuss powers that let you destroy cards (such as Omnitron-U or F6 Tempest) that lets you go after cards under a Villain card because those cards are still considered to be in play.

Yet in this instance, Writhe can't destroy the Shadow Cloak because it's not "in play" when it's under a card.

This seems inconsistent, unless there's some detail about when you can target cards under another card that I'm missing. 

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Cards under cards don’t have any text.   They only retain the type and deck they are with.  This is from the Fireside chats https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/clarifications-and-decisions-from-handelabra-christophers-fireside-chats-6773:

Fireside Chats wrote:

Cards under other cards (like Omni-Cannon) are considered in play (but have no text) unless the card on top says otherwise. For Omni-Cannon in particular, those cards are in play but they did not enter play (because of magic). When they get put under Omni-Cannon, “when a card enters play” triggers do not apply. Cards under other cards count for the hero they belong to when considering “the hero with the most cards in play” because they still belong to the deck they came from. For example, if a Raptor Bot is under Savage Mana, the Raptor Bot is included in Unity's count of cards in play.

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Importantly, having "no text" also applies to the title of the card. The relevant thing here is that, while the card remains a hero card and a Writhe card while under La Capitan, it has no text identifying it as "The Shadow Cloak." So you can't destroy The Shadow Cloak because there is no card anywhere with that name.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

The reason F6 Tempest can destroy cards under La Capitan is that they're his cards. The card text doesn't care about them being Ongoings or Equipment, like, say, Dark Watch Mr. Fixer does.