The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Visionary and Scholar - Hard to Beat!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Visionary and Scholar - Hard to Beat!

I imagine I'm not the first to notice this combo:

1. Scholar has out two Flesh to Irons and Bring What You Need. This gives him 4DR, plus the three cards he needs to sacrifice two to the Flesh to Irons and play one.
  2. Visionary has out Mental Divergence, which she uses every turn to let Scholar pull an Ongoing out of his trash and put it on the top of his deck. Scholar then cycles two of the card (Alchemical Direction) which redirects all damage dealt to heroes to Scholar.

The two of them are thus providing an indefinite 4DR to the whole team.

Admittedly, this is at the cost of doing very little else. Visionary does get a card play, but Scholar doesn't do anything else. On a three hero team, that means half of the team's play and power phases are devoted to this strategy.

Various villains and environments have ways to disrupt this. Dawn's Devastating Aurora comes to mind. Some villains will do irreducible damage. Miss Information has a card that forces every hero to either destroy all of their cards or discard their entire hand. Apostate's Apocalypse might at least slow this combo down by forcing Visionary to use Mental Divergence to destroy Apocalypse. Some villains have alternate win conditions. Voss might get ten minions in play. Mad bomber Blade might build up to some big attacks. An erupting volcano might get past the DR.

Still, it's a pretty impressive combination, I think.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Nice! I recently realized an offensive combo with Visionary and KNYFE.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Maybe there is a step missing in this or I'm missing some piece in this.  If the Scholar has one Alchemical Redirection in play and one in the trash how is he getting the one from the trash into his hand for his turn?    I know Viz will be putting the one in the trash on top of the deck but unless there is some card draw before the Scholar's turn he won't have the second one in his hand before his turn.    You could play Don't Dismiss Anything on Scholar's turn to get it into play but that can only be done a couple of times without any other assistance that I can think of.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

If the Scholar has one Alchemical Redirection in play and one in the trash how is he getting the one from the trash into his hand for his turn?    I know Viz will be putting the one in the trash on top of the deck but unless there is some card draw before the Scholar's turn he won't have the second one in his hand before his turn.    

Good point!

I was taking advantage of the fact that at the end of Miss Information's turn she was causing one hero to destroy an Ongoing card, and I was having Scholar destroy Alchemical Redirection.

Visionary was before Scholar in the turn order, so would put Alchemical Redirection on top of Scholar's deck.

Then on Scholar's turn he would play the second Alchemical Redirection from hand and draw the first Alchemical Redirection back into his deck.

Hadn't realized that my tactics required Miss Information's help!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I just like cycling both copies of DDA (if they come up) turn after turn and letting everyone else put out loads of random stuff (or retrieve stuff they need) :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Ameena wrote:

I just like cycling both copies of DDA (if they come up) turn after turn and letting everyone else put out loads of random stuff (or retrieve stuff they need) :D.

Adept, Tempest, Scholar and Grandpa Legacy can cycle DDA 3 times each round once Adept gets Lyra, Inventive and Alacritous.

Adept actually gets insanely powerful in that setup, because you can cycle Cadence and Silver Shadow, just be ready for rounds that last forever.  Only a few days away in the video game, will be interesting to see if they are really ready for the ensuing chaos.

For a fifth I can't not use DW Expat.  Unloading three times a round with Aim being used each time is awesome.  I'd suggest facing Akash on Advanced for these games, otherwise you win before you really get going.