The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Villians of the Multiverse

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Elcarp
Villians of the Multiverse

I have been searching the forum and GTG website for almost an hour, trying to find the release date for VotM. Can anyone help me out, please?

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

There is no release date as of right now.

MarioFanaticXV
MarioFanaticXV's picture

They've said that Villains of the Multiverse and Sentinel Tactics: Broken City and For Profit should be out by the end of the year, though they've not said anything beyond that.

Elcarp

Thanks for letting me know. Glad I got my pre-order in, though I hope I don't have to wait several months

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Playtesting takes time. I'd rather we do the job thoroughly and make the best game(s) possible rather than rushing to get the product out quickly.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

Not to mention, Convention Season has started.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Elcarp wrote:

Thanks for letting me know. Glad I got my pre-order in, though I hope I don't have to wait several months

you will have to wait several months. We are all in the same boat though. 

MarioFanaticXV
MarioFanaticXV's picture

Foote wrote:
Elcarp wrote:

I don't know; you guys who are playtesters kind of sort of aren't- you don't get the finished versions until we do, but you do get to see a lot of what's coming and play via prototypes.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

MarioFanaticXV wrote:

Foote wrote:

Elcarp wrote:

I don't know; you guys who are playtesters kind of sort of aren't- you don't get the finished versions until we do, but you do get to see a lot of what's coming and play via prototypes.

Yes, but we have paid for (and work for) that privilege.

Damn it, Ronway!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

And - honestly - sometimes that playtesting is kinda painful. Keep in mind early versions of some of this stuff is really tough. (I still have issues playing in Omnitron IV, as I was pretty traumatized by the early versions...)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Azqa
Azqa's picture
Playtester

I imagine there are still some people who'd be interested in joining those ranks despite the painful early versions :P  Perhaps someday the price for it will not be $40,000 again!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

EdgeDS wrote:

I imagine there are still some people who'd be interested in joining those ranks despite the painful early versions :P  Perhaps someday the price for it will not be $40,000 again!

Of course. It's awesome and I don't regret buying playtester status in the slightest, but it's not all fluffy bunnies and rainbows all the time. It's hard work before you even start (physically building cards/boards/tokens/etc., not to mention all the actual playtesting work.

It's possible to contribute nothing and just look at the files as they are released, but that's not really playtesting, is it?

Damn it, Ronway!

morph147

A teleporting villian would be fun kinda like night crawler. Maybe have a regular deck with a teleporting side deck to determine if the attack hits or miss or do something special to hit the next damage. Maybe a better character in tactics though.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

MarioFanaticXV
MarioFanaticXV's picture

Silverleaf wrote:

o_0 Wait, what? Worked for I understand- I realize all the work that goes into playtesting, but paid for? You had to pay to work for a company?

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture

MarioFanaticXV wrote:

Silverleaf wrote:

o_0 Wait, what? Worked for I understand- I realize all the work that goes into playtesting, but paid for? You had to pay to work for a company?

They had to pay to be a playtester.

"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Rabit wrote:

And - honestly - sometimes that playtesting is kinda painful. Keep in mind early versions of some of this stuff is really tough. (I still have issues playing in Omnitron IV, as I was pretty traumatized by the early versions...)

Me, too. Also it was a long while before I could work up the nerve to play Vengeance again after the early playtests. Horribly painful beatdowns.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

arenson9 wrote:

Rabit wrote:

Me, too. Also it was a long while before I could work up the nerve to play Vengeance again after the early playtests. Horribly painful beatdowns.

Solidarity, friends.

It's definitely an investment.  The forty bucks is little compared to what goes on in actual playtesting.  I've used the same sleeves and playing cards for all of my playtesting, but you need to print out and/or pen/pencil in changes to your cards with each new build, which takes time, energy, and a lot of ink!  You also need to power through builds that are unharmonious with the game or completely off on the power scale.  I'm not going to paint it up like it's a job or an obligation.  It's a very rewarding experience.  That being said there have been (and still are) moments where I'd much rather play a non-playtest game of Sentinels.  We usually playtest regardless, but there can be some tough builds!

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

The point where you no longer enjoy playing the deck but because you want it to turn out right keep playing it, that is a harsh point in playtesting.  But it is rewarding, and fun to get to take part in the process.

LukeWarmIce

I haven't looked at the sign up to be a tester page for a long time...saw the $40k and lol'd haha.

I thought of signing up when they were accepting why back, $40 to help make something I like as good as it can be sounded great.  But I backed away because I know testing can take enjoyment out of the game.  I have nothing but respect for people that do it for any game.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

If you think some of the arguments on this side are rough, imagine what they are like when you can actually change the card.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Yeah, we get some fun threads.

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

It's really too bad they decided to shut the doors on playtesting, seemingly for good. Missed the boat on this one.

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

Azqa
Azqa's picture
Playtester

Well, the company is growing and producing more content that needs to be reviewed.  It seems possible that they'll need more playtesters in the future.  And if not, well, sometimes that's just how it works - everyone doesn't always get access to everything.  

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Playtesting access WILL open up again at some point in the future. Probably even this year. Probably.

And yes, it's a lot of work. Your involvement level is certainly up to you. I mean, I can understand not wanting to work with me. I'm a pain.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Christopher has single handly destroyed my F5 key.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Christopher wrote:

I mean, I can understand not wanting to work with me. I'm a pain.

This is the truth and the light.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Foote wrote:

Christopher wrote:

I mean, I can understand not wanting to work with me. I'm a pain.

This is the truth and the light.

And the way. Don't forget the way.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture

LukeWarmIce wrote:

I haven't looked at the sign up to be a tester page for a long time...saw the $40k and lol'd haha.I thought of signing up when they were accepting why back, $40 to help make something I like as good as it can be sounded great.  But I backed away because I know testing can take enjoyment out of the game.  I have nothing but respect for people that do it for any game.

Yeah, I haven't signed up mostly because I'd rather wait and get the finished product with all the art and such, playtesting seems almost like spoiling it. Although I have been tempted to get it.

"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

There are definite gains and sacrifices, slogging through games when a deck isn't working is tough, and not fun.  Seeing that deck turn into something awesome is a great experience to be a part of.