The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Variant Unlock: Redeemer Fanatic - UNLOCKED

130 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Variant Unlock: Redeemer Fanatic - UNLOCKED

Please only discuss unlocking Redeemer Fanatic in this thread.

Official Hint:

Handelabra wrote:

This is a redemption story. In order to be redeemed, one must have fallen.

Official Unlock Instructions

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Natediggadoggity

A prediction by Foote, a few months ago.

Foote wrote:
-Apostate will likely have to land the killing blow on Fanatic in some way for Redeemer. Her promo is too closely tied to her loss at the hands of Apostate for it not to be close along those lines.
cawshis

It is not:

Have Apostate kill Fanatic with Armor of Resurrection out.  (had this happen twice).  Apostate had ALL relics out.

Nor is it just losing to Apostate with Fanatic in the party.

I had Nightmist, Argent Adept and Fanatic in Tomb of Anubis

GreenFire66
GreenFire66's picture

Just had Apostate land the Killing Blow to Fanatic with the card 'Fallen Angel' and then won, didn't unlock the variant. Debating if it's worth trying the same thing but losing to Apostate afterwards? I'm not sure if there's any specific enviornment to do this on, but I went with Relam of Discord.

"I activate Harp to use Inspiring Supertonic's effect to use a power to activate Lyre to use Inspiring Supertonic's effect to use a power to activate..."

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

I just had Apostate incap Fanatic using Condemnation while Absolution was out.  Then went on to win the fight.  No unlock.  We were fighting in Megaopolis, with Visionary, Nightmist, AA, and Grampa Legacy as backup.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reverend Pete

Tried dealing all three types of Absolution damage to Condemnation.

Destroyed Condemnation with Absolution.

Defeated Apostate using Wrathful Retribution.

All in Realm of Discord. No unlocks.

Going to try dealing all three Absolution damage types to Apostate.

mightyschoop

Tried letting Apostate ko Fanatic with damage redirected by Divine Sacrifice. 

Was in Megalopolis, Absolution and Condemnation both in play. Didn't work. 

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

Does Apostate's deck have equipment destruction?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yep. Imp Pilferers and Apocalypse.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

Perhaps getting an imp pilferer to destroy Absolution?  (Apocolypse can't as Absolution is a relic)

darkroydante
darkroydante's picture

Apostate. Dark Visionary, Wraith, Fanatic. Dinosaur Land.

I was thinking along the same lines, tried to have Imps break Absolution. Went on to win the game. Didn't get the variant. About to try the same thing again and lose. Probably gonna try to break Absolution and lose the game in the same round.

On the plus side, setting up these situations is so much quicker with Dark Visionary.

"Hey team, it's two 4 runes!"

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Absolution got broken in the card Critical Multiplier in Parses's deck.  In it you see Fanatic trying to hit Citizen Truth when it breaks.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Theta_Sigma
Theta_Sigma's picture
Playtester

I tried getting both Absoultion and the Aegis out, then getting Apostate to knock Fanatic to 0 health, followed by her defeating him with Wrathful Retribution, after she was reset to 10 health. No unlock. (I was in Megalopolis and had Legacy and Visionary as my other heroes.

Going to try stopping Apocalypse with End of Days, because why not.

I don't know what makes me different and I don't care. Maybe it's not my problem, but why do they stare? - The Living End, Strange

everlastingtilt

After rereading her bio, I suspect you may need Apostate to defeat her, then have a rematch where she defeats him.  Thus redeeming herself.  Haven't been able to test yet because work and sleep seem to be "requirements" for some reason.  If someone hasn't proven me wrong by this evening, I'll let you all know what happens.

Either way, I suspect this will be a multistage thing.

darkroydante
darkroydante's picture

I just tried having Apostate wipe my team, then pressing try again. Had Fanatic play first turn Prayer of Desperation, because why not? Beat Apostate, no dice. Was at Megalopolis.

"Hey team, it's two 4 runes!"

everlastingtilt

Tried my theory.  Apostate finished of Fanatic, I won that match overall.  Then fought again, had Fanatic take him out using her sword.  No unlock.

Used Fanatic, old Legacy, ss Tachyon, Tempest, and Argent Adept.  Realm of Discord.

Benhimself
Benhimself's picture
Playtester

New idea: Have Apostate incap Fanatic on his flip side?

Edit to add: Just tried it, no dice. (Maybe with Condemnation or some other variable, though?)

mightyschoop

Tried making Apostate discard Condemnation as a result of his flip effect (delivering the hit that flipped him with Absolution. didn't work. 

Haven't tried it with the flip effect back to his front side.

Natediggadoggity

mightyschoop wrote:
  Haven't tried it with the flip effect back to his front side.

I did, and nope. He flipped once and destroyed his periapt of woe, then flipped again and destroyed condemnation, but Ra ended up getting the kill, right before apocalypse would have triggered.

I wondered if having the quit the game with Fanatic would work, since according to the lore, in her first battle with Apostate, she actually left the fight, didn't even finish it until later. I started a game against Apostate with Fanatic in it, didn't use the restart button, I just quit out and went back to the main menu and set it up again, no unlock there either.

Chromium_Man

Here's a few things I've tried (none of which worked, but all of which were fun):

1) Killing Apostate with Wrathful Retribution from 1 HP. 

2) Killing myself with Sacrosanct Martyr, coming back with Aegis, and killing Apostate with the Radiant damage. 

and my personal favorite

3) Killing Apostate by Final Diving Condemnation at him. 

None of those really go with the story. I'm going to try killing him with Wrathful Retribution on the same turn I come back with Aegis. 

Edit:  I tried letting Apostate kill Fanatic on his flipped side. I returned with Aegis then killed him in the same round with Wrathful Retribution but no unlock. 

Natediggadoggity

I went poring through the story challenges forum, looking for everything I could find related to Fanatic, here's what I found:

ALL EYES ON ME: Use Divine Sacrifice on 3 Blade Battalions as Fanatic.
DIVINE EXECUTIONER: Destroy the Seer using Final Dive as Fanatic.
THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT: have Fanatic deal Infernal damage to another hero.
JUDGE AND JURY: Reduce Apostate to 0 or fewer HP using Wrathful Retribution without him every flipping as Fanatic.

Sadly, I don't know who the seer is, he probably isn't in the video game yet.

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

The Seer is Fnatic's mini-Nemsis in Vengeance, so isn't in them game yet.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

the_shed

So there's this from Redeemer Fanatic's bio:

After Fanatic was confronted by the deceiver, Apostate, she had to regroup. She spent three entire days sequestered in the bell tower of a monastery in prayer and meditation, not stopping to eat or sleep. Finally, she emerged from her requiescence, refreshed in the knowledge of her steadfast righteousness.

Fanatic has armed herself against the lies and corruption of Apostate. She stands prepared to fight by faith alone - not allowing herself to be distracted by the clamor and deceit of the world and her enemies!

Maybe she needs to spend a certain number of turns doing nothing after a condition has been met?  I'm thinking probably three turns after Apostate has flipped, then she needs to defeat him.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Got Apostate to flip. Killed him with Wrathful with both Absolution and Aegis in play. No unlock.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Geneticdrift

What hero team in the lore defeated Apostate? Was fanatic even there? I know she fled but did she come back in time?  

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

3 days she prayed/meditated.

mightyschoop

Anybody tried playing Prayer of Desperation multiple turns in a row?

Chromium_Man

I tried four things last night that I thought had some logic, but none of them worked.  They were all against Apostate but in three different environments (so hopefully the environment doesn't matter).

1)  I used Prayer of Desperation when I was truly desperate (i.e., when it was the only card in my hand so I drew the full six cards).

2)  I reduced Apostate to zero HP on his flipped side with the Melee damage of Exorcism.  He ate his last Relic, flipped, and I finished him off with the Radiant damage from Exorcism.

3)  Basically the same thing as above, but I played Smite the Transgressor (since Apostate is in the art) and flipped him with Exorcism, then finished him with Absolution.

4)  I defeated Apostate with a ton of damage from Divine Focus.  I don't think that Fanatic even played a card except for Divine Focus.  Everything else was discard to do probably 40-50 damage with buffs.

Geneticdrift

Handelabra made a facebook post, "This is a redemption story. In order to be redeemed, one must have fallen."

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

The only card with "Fallen" in the title is Apostate's Fallen Angel, which is a one-shot that deals area damage and heals relics.  It has a picture of Apostate holding Absolution, while Fanatic looks distraught in the background.

Maybe incap her with Fallen Angel?  Or at least hit her with it before incapping her?

Chromium_Man

Here's what I just tried with no unlock success:

Fanatic has Aegis out.  Apostate incapped her with Fallen Angel.  On Fanatic's subsequent turn, she played Prayer of Desperation.  On the turn after that, she finished off Apostate who was on his flipped side.  Maybe I'm making it too complicated?

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

Final Dive with her being the only valid target to take out?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

You can't Final Dive character cards.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Mbylsma

I thought that was an Aegis of Resurrection reference, but people have tried that, right? Being res'd then beating Apostate?

Edit: oh yeah, right above me.

everlastingtilt

Just out of curiosity, has anybody heard of ANYBODY unlocking the Redeemer yet?  It's nice that he devs threw us a bone with that hint, but I haven't heard of anybody getting her at all yet, so we don't really have much to start with besides the obvious.

Powerhound_2000

Handelabra has typically posted or announced someone got an unlock.   So far only Agent of Gloom Spite, DW Nightmist, and Dark Visionary have been accomplished.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The Hall of Fame only has Visionary, NightMist, and Spite.

http://sentinelsdigital.com/halloffame.html

saykhia
saykhia's picture

I think Fanatic needs to be incapped in a specific way

Prefers smooth peanut butter, but loves crunchy numbers.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Welcome to the forums!

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

I still think that Absolution and Condemnation both need to be out.  I tried incapping Fanatic with Fallen Angel while both swords were present, but no luck.

eugeneruss

On the other board, speculation right now is -

Apostate flipped

Fanatic killed and revived with Aegis, possibly with Apostate's Fallen Angel attack, possibly with Divine Sacrifice active

Prayer of Desperation for 3 turns (if this is right, you need some help from some combination of Visionary, Argent, and Tempest)

Kill Apostate with Absolution

Killing Apostate w/out Absolution appears to fail, as does an unflipped Apostate. Some speculation you need to requip Aegis, but it seems unlikely, and it's possible that the Prayer duration is either wrong or that just passing turns suffices.

Combinations of the above have unlocked Fanatic.

eugeneruss

Sequence that got it unlocked for me, but I'm convinced there's false steps:

Apostate, Legacy, Argent Adept, Visionary, Fanatic, Tempest,  Megalopolis (no alts)

Location not relevant. Heroes other than Fanatic not relevant.

Play Undaunted, Absolution, Aegis. Order does not matter.

Accumulate Divine Sacrifice and both Prayers

Flip Apostate, dealing the last blow to flip him with Absolution

Manipulate the deck to get Fallen Angel on top and Fanatic sufficiently weak

Play Divine Sacrifice, taking the damage with Fanatic until she runs out of hp and triggers her Aegis

Pass three turns playing Prayer. You'll need to put one back on top of her deck and force a draw off her turn.

Keep Apostate beat up during this process.

When she's done praying, play Aegis and take Apostate down with Absolution

Things I believe to be critical:

Apostate must be flipped
The final blow in the fight must happen with Absolution

Undaunted must be in play.

Be curious what the final conditions turn out to be, and how much of this was just dancing :)

Thanks to the folks on the Handelabra boards for getting me this far...

taron988

No Unlock, but here's how it went

Legacy, Agrent, D. Visonary, Tempest, Fanatic

In Megalopolis

Flipped Apostate then incapped Fanatic with his card damage, resurrected with Aegis.

Did nothing for 3 rounds with Fanatic (the rest of the team fought off the mounds of relics that were showing up)

Killed Apostate with Absolution

Powerhound_2000

eugeneruss wrote:

Sequence that got it unlocked for me

if you got the unlock did you post a picture to Handelabra over Twitter,Facebook, or Google+?

eugeneruss

Wasn't the first or even the second. I know the first didn't want to post, but that makes it not mine.

Powerhound_2000

Fair enough.  You could still try to be the first to nail down the unlock steps.  

Chromium_Man

I haven't found the energy to try to play Prayer of Desperation three times in a row, so I've been trying something a little more simple:

Apostate has to incapacitate Fanatic.  She resurrects with Aegis.  She doesn't deal damage for 3 turns.  She destroys him on the 4th turn.  

I had tried before with no unlock, but then realized that she had been incapacitated by environment damage.  It's possible that Undaunted must be in play or that the source of the damage you destroy Apostate with matters.

Jimeni
Playtester

Chromium_Man wrote:

I haven't found the energy to try to play Prayer of Desperation three times in a row, so I've been trying something a little more simple:Apostate has to incapacitate Fanatic.  She resurrects with Aegis.  She doesn't deal damage for 3 turns.  She destroys him on the 4th turn.  I had tried before with no unlock, but then realized that she had been incapacitated by environment damage.  It's possible that Undaunted must be in play or that the source of the damage you destroy Apostate with matters.

I didn't play Prayer of Desperation three times and unlocked her. I did play it twice, but I don't even think the second time was necessary (though that's just a guess).

I did something very similar to your theory, but I did have Undaunted in play. The source of my final damage was Absolution dealing radiant damage.

Others have said they unlocked her even though the environment took her down originally, so the key difference between what you tried and success may indeed be Undaunted.

EDIT: to add photo in case that helps people.

Attachment(s): 
eugeneruss

Glad to see some of the steps dropping away :) Three failed unlock attempts meant that I was rubbing a lot of magic rocks along the way, just in case they were the difference.

Chromium_Man

Since I'm in no rush, I've been starting with a minimalist approach and I'm adding in more variables as I go in an attempt to find the actual conditions. I tried killing Apostate with Undaunted in play with Absolution in a game in which Aegis has triggered. That didn't work. Next I'll try the same thing with taking a turn to do Prayer of Desperation in between. 

My current theory is something like "Fanatic defeats Apostate with Undaunted in play in a game in which she has been brought back by Aegis of Resurrection. Prayer of Desperation must be played after she has come back to life."

everlastingtilt

For those that got the unlocks:  Was Apostate flipped or not?  HAD he flipped during the game?  Not sure if it matters, just checking for patterns.

Pages