The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Variant Unlock: Dark Visionary - UNLOCKED

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Variant Unlock: Dark Visionary - UNLOCKED

Please only discuss unlocking Dark Visionary in this thread.

Official Unlock Instructions

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Natediggadoggity

Predictions made by others, a few months ago.

Foote wrote:
Dark Visionary will be unlockable here I'm guessing, and will require a fight against Gloomweaver and Visionary. She will probably need to have her Cocoon in play at the end of the game.

Ronway wrote:
I would think it would be have The Visionary destroy the Telekinetic Cocoon and do the final blow to GloomWeaver.
Benhimself
Benhimself's picture
Playtester

Just tried that (in Silver Gulch, chosen randomly), didn't work. Maybe she needs to be at less than 10 hp, or have mental divergence out, (to represent the "stress" in the variant's bio) or a certain number of cultists in play?

mightyschoop

My guess is to knock herself out with wrest the mind, maybe in discord.

GreenFire66
GreenFire66's picture

*sigh*

Just attempted a game in which Visionary, while in critical state, breaks out of coccon, then kills all 3 cultists and Gloomweaver in one turn. Didn't proc it. Profane Zealot died to Demoralization, while the other 2 cultists, their respective zombies, and Gloomweaver all fell to a Psychic Maelstrom. The enviornment was Realm of Discord, since I wasn't too sure if there was a specfic one.

(Let it be added that this all happened on his front side. Maybe he has to be on his flip side to proc the effect?)

"I activate Harp to use Inspiring Supertonic's effect to use a power to activate Lyre to use Inspiring Supertonic's effect to use a power to activate..."

Natediggadoggity

I think gloomweaver does have to be flipped. Someone had success with that on the steam forums: mental divergence, foresight, all 3 cultists and no relics in play, plus your above conditions.

GreenFire66
GreenFire66's picture

Natediggadoggity wrote:

I think gloomweaver does have to be flipped. Someone had success with that on the steam forums: mental divergence, foresight, all 3 cultists and no relics in play, plus your above conditions.

GOT IT.

I'm pretty sure it's my original comment, but on his flipped side. I had Mental and Foresight out just to be safe, but yeah, that combo will give you Dark Visionary, if you destroy all 3 cultists and Gloom on the same turn you pop Coccon. To be safe, I had Visionary in critical, not sure if needed.

Attachment(s): 

"I activate Harp to use Inspiring Supertonic's effect to use a power to activate Lyre to use Inspiring Supertonic's effect to use a power to activate..."

Natediggadoggity

Cool!

So, Gloomweaver having to flip sounds essential, as does Visionary breaking out of her cocoon, as well as villain death.

Other things to narrow down:

*All 3 cultists dying

*Mental Divergence

*Foresight

*Low health Visionary

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Unlocked her with the following:

Visionary at 9 hp.

No enemies were in play.

Realm of Discord.

Gloomweaver is flipped.

Visionary breaks cocoon and does the last damage to Gloomweaver.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

I just spent like an hour trying to set this up (getting him to flip isn't easy).  I had everything perfect, using an Inventive Preparation to let an Ether Twisted Expatriette play an out of turn Unload, followed by an in turn Unload, followed by a 23 point Tachyon Lightspeed Barrage (all of this boosted by Imbue Fire).  He had flipped, he was at 2 hp, Visionary was ready.......and then I forgot about Demoralization and it killed him before she could leave the Cocoon!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo!

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

mgirman520

Things that have been discussed in the Steam Forum:

Gloom Flipped

Realm of Discord

Mental Divergence, (Foresight not needed)

Leaving Cocoon to kill Gloom (no other kills seem needed)

and the offical unlock tweet seems to say that low HP is needed

darkroydante
darkroydante's picture

Got her.

Gloomweaver flipped. 3 hero game. Vis at 7 HP in cocoon. Realm of Imbued Vitality Sucks.

Gloomweaver had all kinds of cultists (2 of which had both copies out, so 5 cultist targets total) 5 zombies, 3 relics in play. Environment had Bubbles and 2 Portal Fiends.

Visionary had Cocoon, Demoralization, Twist the Ether on herself and Mental Divergence. On her turn, she Demoralized, which killed nothing. Then she used Psychic Maelstrom to kill the Zealot, then both Diciples, then both Ronways, then all 5 zombies, then Gloomweaver. Unlock, game end screen.   

"Hey team, it's two 4 runes!"

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

My Visionary did not have any cards except Cocoon out.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

One other note, I had all 3 relics destroyed before Visionary popped and destroyed him.  They were not destroyed on the same turn.

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Just failed an attempt.  Thought I would try Visionary critical but Gloomy NOT flipped.  No dice.  Man, he takes a long time to flip.

Pulseglazer
Playtester

broccoli wrote:

Just failed an attempt.  Thought I would try Visionary critical but Gloomy NOT flipped.  No dice.  Man, he takes a long time to flip.

Use Wraith to help find the relics.

Benhimself
Benhimself's picture
Playtester

Damn it! Got Gloomweaver flipped, down to 1 hit point, and fully set up... and an imbued vitality came up, followed by a vast following that got TWO cursed acolytes, sweeping the board of all ongoings, equipments, and heroes alike.

Pro tip: Put Visionary last in turn order, so the environment/villain won't get a chance to disrupt your plans when you're almost perfectly setup. (Also next time I'm bringing wraith to just infrared gloomweaver to get his relics out faster.)

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Just got it.  Nightmist and Wraith for deck control, AA and Gramps for shenanigans.  Flipped Gloomy, wiped out his relics, dropped Vis in her cocoon, and waited.  Dropped Gloomy down to 1, then popped out and spiked him and his two remaining voodoo pins with a Cerebral Hemorrhage.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Pulseglazer wrote:

broccoli wrote:

Use Wraith to help find the relics.

Yeah, I did Precog a few times, and I was thinking that next game I'd employ both Wraith and SS Tachyon.  Tachyon can search from the bottom, and if they end up in the trash, you just "Suggestion" them to the top.

Natediggadoggity

I just got the unlock in the tomb of anubis. Mental divergence, demoralization, 9hp visionary, killed gloom with maelstrom, after he'd flipped, no cultists, zombies, or relics in play.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=478699709
And as someone on steam forums already tested to see if maelstrom was required, and it isn't, I think we've nailed it down.

Ashcarr wrote:
Defeat Gloomweaver on his Demon-God Incarnate side with Visionary in the turn you destroy Telekinetic Cocoon.

And as Donner said that mental divergence wasn't in play, and

mgirman520 wrote:
I haven't seen that tweet myself, but it looks like the last constant.
metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

mgirman520 wrote:

Unlocked at Wagner Mars Base, Visionary at 16 HP with Foresight and Twist the Ether and a Mind Spike for the kill,  Gloomy flipped with a bunch of cultists and zombies and relics out. So it seems that Visionary doesn't have to be bloodied. 

"To such simple minds, my advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic!"

Jimeni
Playtester

metlarcturus wrote:

mgirman520 wrote:

Unlocked at Wagner Mars Base, Visionary at 16 HP with Foresight and Twist the Ether and a Mind Spike for the kill,  Gloomy flipped with a bunch of cultists and zombies and relics out. So it seems that Visionary doesn't have to be bloodied. 

yeah. I unlocked her with Visionary at 24 hp (thanks to Gramps Legacy/positive energy field, she ended at near full health despite climbing into her cocoon at near death).

So maybe it's just: Visionary deals the killing blow to demon-God incarnate Gloomweaver on the same turn she breaks out of her cocoon.

Attachment(s): 
mightyschoop

Confirmed - Wagner Mars Base, Break the cocoon and Mind Spike flipped Gloomweaver for the kill.

Visionary was at 23 hp, so low hp is definitely not necessary. One hero was below 10 hp. 

One cultist was in play, but Visionary didn't ko it.

Visionary's only other card in play was a Twist the Ether on Gloomy.

I used Wraith, Haka, Legacy, Visionary (in that order)

Wraith to search Gloomy's deck for Relics (and deliver beatdowns), Haka to clean up cultists and zombies, Legacy to pull out the LffF/Next Evo combo and keep everyone safe from the damage Gloomy throws around while the relics are in play. Visionary helped Legacy draw cards until the right stuff came out, used Precognition to help search the deck, and went into the cocoon once Gloomy flipped.  

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

The conditions have been determined exactly, good work everyone here and in other forums!

Defeat GloomWeaver on his “Demon-God Incarnate” side using The Visionary. Telekinetic Cocoon must have been destroyed at the start of The Visionary’s turn.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Here is my very slowly but guaranteed method of working:

Play with Visionary, Fanatic, and Absolute Zero against Gloomy, I was in Insula Primas but that doesn't.

Reroll until Visionary starts with Cocoon.....that's it.

Keep skipping turns, and let Fanatic and Absolute Zero die, you don't have to destroy or play anything.

Both Fanatic and Absolute Zero have incapped abilities that increase the next damage by 2.

Keep skipping turns until Gloomy flips, and Visionary can come out of the cocoon and destroy Gloomy in one hit.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

cmschex
Playtester

Pydro wrote:

Here is my very slowly but guaranteed method of working:Play with Visionary, Fanatic, and Absolute Zero against Gloomy, I was in Insula Primas but that doesn't.Reroll until Visionary starts with Cocoon.....that's it.Keep skipping turns, and let Fanatic and Absolute Zero die, you don't have to destroy or play anything.Both Fanatic and Absolute Zero have incapped abilities that increase the next damage by 2.Keep skipping turns until Gloomy flips, and Visionary can come out of the cocoon and destroy Gloomy in one hit.

That seems a lot better than the 2 hour game I played that unlocked her last night (though I did unlock DW Nightmist in the same game so I suppose that was worth it)

VisforYoshi
VisforYoshi's picture

I have a theory that the developers just made the unlock conditions this so that they can show off flipped gloomweaver's artwork. Because a lot of us weren't going to see it otherwise

"A delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is bad forever"

-Shigeru Miyamoto

Benhimself
Benhimself's picture
Playtester

I love it when a plan comes together! Rook City Wraith sleuthed in the Ruins of Atlantis to find Pillars of Hercules, between all the extra villain plays from that and searching with Infrared Eyepiece, managed to flip Gloomweaver quickly. Plus the krakens are quite helpful at keeping Gloomy in check. So another voice chiming in for "Visionary comes out of cocoon and kills flipped Gloomweaver".

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

MigrantP wrote:

The conditions have been determined exactly, good work everyone here and in other forums!Defeat GloomWeaver on his “Demon-God Incarnate” side using The Visionary. Telekinetic Cocoon must have been destroyed at the start of The Visionary’s turn.

Okay, so I am now SUPER pissed off.  I just spent another hour+ doing this.  I had Visionary, Gloomy flipped, she was at 6 hp, and on the turn that she destroyed Telekinetic Cocoon, she used Maelstrom to kill him.  NO UNLOCK!  Android version, bug perhaps?

Also, just to clarify, low HP is not (supposed to be) required?

Benhimself
Benhimself's picture
Playtester

Maybe you have to use Mind Spike, specifically?

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

The original first unlock desc. I saw said they used Maelstrom to take out a few cultists and then him.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

broccoli wrote:

MigrantP wrote:
The conditions have been determined exactly, good work everyone here and in other forums!Defeat GloomWeaver on his “Demon-God Incarnate” side using The Visionary. Telekinetic Cocoon must have been destroyed at the start of The Visionary’s turn.

Okay, so I am now SUPER pissed off.  I just spent another hour+ doing this.  I had Visionary, Gloomy flipped, she was at 6 hp, and on the turn that she destroyed Telekinetic Cocoon, she used Maelstrom to kill him.  NO UNLOCK!  Android version, bug perhaps?Also, just to clarify, low HP is not (supposed to be) required?

I posted the exact requirements right there. It's nothing more, nothing less.

If you did that and it didn't unlock, that would be a bug. If you can reproduce it, please send us screenshots of the sequence to .

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

MigrantP wrote:

broccoli wrote:
 MigrantP wrote:

Okay, so I am now SUPER pissed off.  I just spent another hour+ doing this.  I had Visionary, Gloomy flipped, she was at 6 hp, and on the turn that she destroyed Telekinetic Cocoon, she used Maelstrom to kill him.  NO UNLOCK!  Android version, bug perhaps?Also, just to clarify, low HP is not (supposed to be) required?

I posted the exact requirements right there. It's nothing more, nothing less.If you did that and it didn't unlock, that would be a bug. If you can reproduce it, please send us screenshots of the sequence to feedback@handelabra.com.

I did exactly that.  The problem with screenshots is that it moves on to the end screen when you defeat him, so the best I could do is a screenshot before and a screenshot after.  Honestly, I'm still pretty miffed about it, so I'm going to try Pydro's suggestion.  I'll screenshot in case it doesn't work.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

We would need screenshots of the sequence from the beginning of The Visionary's turn.

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Just used Pydro's version, still no unlock, sending screenshots now.

Edit: Email sent.