The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Unlucky Losses

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
VisforYoshi
VisforYoshi's picture
Unlucky Losses

So, I'm sure everybody has had unlucky experiences in the digital version, so I figured I would star a thread about losing because of bad luck, because I have the worst luck ever.

I was playing the advanced chairman with haka, dark watch epat, unity, dark visionary, and fanatic in rook city. Everything was going fine, the chairman was dead and all of his underbosses were under savage mana. Everybody was at around 10 HP (exept expat, who was incapacitated), so there wasn't much that could kill anyone. Then Rook city played scum and villiany, which played rook city is mine, which played two more scum and villianys, which played two perfect human specimens. Needless to say, I died at the start of the next environment turn, because nobody could survive the 12 damage.

"A delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is bad forever"

-Shigeru Miyamoto

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

I forget what team it was, but it was Matriarch in Atlantis. Long story short, she had a crapload of birds out and Collapsing Ceiling comes out. Kills all the birds, and the retribution damage just wrecked my already-low-HP party.

Had another loss against Gloomweaver when he played the Cursed Acolyte early, doing 6 damage to everyone. Killed him, then almost immediately he played his other Cursed Acolyte. Killed him, too, then the very next turn is Vast Following. Just the 24 damage from those two jerks alone basically killed me.

Kratos13

Five heroes vs. Akash'Buta.  Doing ok, then she plays Primeval Eruption which brings out 4 limbs.  The end of Primeval Eruption is to play another villain card which is... another Primeval Eruption, bringing out 4 more limbs.  This is pretty devasting but somehow, I manage to survive the ordeal and eventually take them all out.  Everyone's in single digit HP, but I do have healing available, so I feel like I may still be in fine shape.  Then Akash reshuffles her deck and soon enough, she plays Primeval Eruption, bringing out 4 limbs, followed immediately by.... yes, another Primeval Eruption, bringing out 4 more limbs.  Needless to say, I did not survive the second, double Primeval Eruption.

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

My friends first game against Omnitron started with a double EPE play, it didn't get any better after that.

seesome
seesome's picture

bluedarky wrote:

My friends first game against Omnitron started with a double EPE play, it didn't get any better after that.

Of course, that's easily fixed with one Wrest the Mind card.  Now that I think about it, many of my unlucky losses are things that could've been avoided if Visionary had been on the team.

Time for some scientific action!
https://twitter.com/SeeSome

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sorta related -- was playing Ennead in Silver Gulch and wasn't tracking what the environment was doing carefully. Got Lost in the Past!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

eugeneruss

Easily fixed by the roughly 15% chance of having the right card in hand? :)

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

seesome wrote:

bluedarky wrote:

Of course, that's easily fixed with one Wrest the Mind card.  Now that I think about it, many of my unlucky losses are things that could've been avoided if Visionary had been on the team.

Visionary wasn't on the team, IIRC it was Legacy, Wraith, Haka and Ra.

VisforYoshi
VisforYoshi's picture

I just had a game against the Ennead where they managed to chain together Rise to Power and Taste of Immortality two rounds in a row... This games hates me so much

-Shigeru Miyamoto

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

But we love you!

GROUP HUG!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

seesome
seesome's picture

bluedarky wrote:

seesome wrote:
 bluedarky wrote:

Visionary wasn't on the team, IIRC it was Legacy, Wraith, Haka and Ra.

I get that (and that her having Wrest the Mind isn't guaranteed).  My point was more about the realization of just how often Visionary would provide the answer to unlucky loss situations. 

seesome
seesome's picture

Though I do agree that double EPE on the opening draw is pretty freaking rough (even if there are a few cards that could easily deal with it)

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Today I played with Pydro! (that wasn't the bad luck part)

We played a 3 player game against Cosmitron, we lost.

Then we played the same set up again... and encountered a game stopping bug.

Then we added a forth player against Cosmitron... and still lost.

Then Pydro had to leave and we decided to play a Blade game to make us feel better.

Then I encountered a game stopping bug that kicked me out as the battle was loading.

Then I started my own Baron Blade game which filled to 3 players... and lost.

It was not a good day.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Today I played with Matchstickman! (that wasn't the bad luck part)

We played a 3 player game against Cosmitron, we lost.

Then we played the same set up again... and encountered a game stopping bug.

Then we added a forth player against Cosmitron... and still lost.

Then I had to leave.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

I played a game against Cosmitron and we stomped him into tiny little space dusticles.

Earlier we were trying to fight Advanced Ennead but the power went out. So I went and played games and drank beer at a cafe instead.

Not a bad day =)

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Sailboat

I'd recently been on a few pick-up teams that had been smashed by Voss, and felt I owed him a beating. Wound up as Nightmist, teamed with Ra and Absolute Zero.

It was a bad-draw game all around. Nightmist never drew her Starshield Necklace or Master of Magic, and was reduced to 2 hp and driven into Mistform before drawing her reflecting amulet. Ra never drew a staff, nor any of his funky cards that might have turned the tide -- mostly he made do with "1 fire damage to everything" cards while Voss countered with damage-reducing Guards. The environment forced us to throw away entire hands of cards three times. AZ got some equipment into play, but was fighting alone after Ra fell. Eventually I chose my moment to solidify Nightmist and play the amulet, but Voss put into play two minions that targeted me, and I could only reflect one.

It was like one of those comedy movies where the bumbling heroes can't do anything right but somehow pull it off in the end, except we'd wandered into a History Channel World War II documentary instead of a comedy.

We tripped, we quipped, and then we flipped.

aawood

I've been recording videos of the game for my gaming channel. My very first match was Omnitron in the Ruins of Atlantis (I forget the heroes). I was doing OK, about set up... then it happened. Atlantis played the Pillars, Omnitron's card play brought out a Terraforming, which destroyed the Pillars and got it another card out; Technological singularity. Then it's Omnitron's turn; Sedative Fletchettes. The party wiped soon after.

Not so unlucky? Perhaps. But when I finished the first season by having a rematch against Cosmic Omnitron, and much the same thing happened? That's unlucky.

riff.freelance
riff.freelance's picture

A 3 player game with at least one other forum member tonight. Voss started with a ship (the one that destroys ongoings and the city (no, not that one; the other one) played 2 hostage suituations. Suffice to say, it didn't end well.

VisforYoshi
VisforYoshi's picture

Just played a game against Cosmitron where he played every single drone in a row... I didn't live long after that

-Shigeru Miyamoto

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

That is one extremely effective dropship

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Apologies if mentioned already, but I had Atlantis pull an EPE out during the environment turn. Omnitron was only at 5HP, but my whole team got wiped out from the EPE.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

I posted this already, a while back, but it fits the topic.

Twice in one game I was a turn away from killing Dawn when Sustain the Portal ruined everything.  The first time by flipping Dawn, and the second time by blowing up two Explosive Wagons.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal