The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

TV Tropes?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester
TV Tropes?

Now, I don't know if anyone knows about TV Tropes, but here goes.

Basically, it is a database/wiki/thing that is used to categorize things in the media -- as well as certain "building blocks," or tropes -- by identifying characteristics that allow it to be compared and contrasted with other media.

I'm creating a Sentinels TVTropes page, but I need help. If any of you feel like helping, take a little while to familiarize yourself with the site (tvtropes.org) and then help me make the page better. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SentinelsOfTheMultiverse

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

I'm an avid reader of TV Tropes, but I don't know how good I am about identifying tropes.  I'll try to recruit my Sentinels group to identify a few more.  At first glance, the only recommendation I have is to provide a more distinct explanation for the various Sentinels than "s/he is basically this other established character."  That may not paint the game in a very positive light to outside viewers.  Plus, I would like to think that the characters are distinct enough to be described beyond famous heroes that have come before them.

The point is, I'll try to look it over when it isn't almost two in the morning!

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

well, I haven't made any of the character-specific ones yet, and of course I'm planning on doing a lot of editing for formatting and phrasing. Right now I'm just putting everything as I think of them, with vague descriptions so as not to confuse anyone.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

McBehrer wrote:
well, I haven't made any of the character-specific ones yet, and of course I'm planning on doing a lot of editing for formatting and phrasing. Right now I'm just putting everything as I think of them, with vague descriptions so as not to confuse anyone.

I could tell a lot of work was put into it considering all of the folders!  Don't get me wrong, I think this is awesome!  I wanna help as much as I can and I'll definitely try to post some stuff to the forums so that we can all discuss it.  This will be a fantastic way to get word out on Sentinels across the interwebs.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Vyolynce
Vyolynce's picture

The best way to identify tropes would probably be to check out the list of Comic Book Tropes and check off the ones that apply. I'm thinking that will be "most of them." :P

AnachronismAxe
AnachronismAxe's picture
Playtester

I remember being sad when I couldn't find anything for the game on TVTropes (which is quite possibly my favorite site on the net due to its sheer amount of stuff to read). That said, I'm more of a lurker there since I'm not familiar with actually writing/editing pages there, and there tend to be a lot of easy ways to incorrectly cite a trope for a work. I'm on major crunch time at work right now, but if there's still a need to expand the page in a week, I'll give It a shot.

Alex
Alex's picture
Playtester

I wouldn't mind helping out with this, if I have time!

I make games! Here's one of them! http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/626169

BoardGameGeek interviewed me about my contribution to Shattered Timelines, Kismet! http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/17671/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-shat...

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

I would change the 5 man band to this:

I would Make Absolute Zero the SMart guy and Tachyon the Chick

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Well, but they don't really fit the archetypes.
I already kind of have AZ as the smart guy (in the smart-ass sense) but Tachyon is a billionaire scientist, a la Mr. Fantastic. She's the smart one, no question.

-- Trajector