The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Trash timing verification

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
smafdi
Playtester
Trash timing verification

So playing last night against ambuscade I ran into something that i'm not sure i did correctly. He pops stim packs, which heals him then shuffles the trash into the deck then he plays another card. (i think it's stim packs, but the base problem is there no matter what the darned card is called) when does the card his the trash? does it go before the shuffle, right after it's played, or does it wait until all text has been resolved before it hits, causing the shuffle then entering the trash afterwords?

Jhuntin1
Playtester

You have to resolve all the text on the card before it goes to the trash, so your last scenario is correct.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Cards only go to the trash once they've been fully resolved, so it has to be at the end, after the shuffle and the second play.  In fact, others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it wouldn't hit the trash until the second card has been fully resolved too, because once an effect on a card triggers another effect, that second effect gets fully resolved before continuing with the first card.  Do I have that correct?

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

smafdi
Playtester

Thanks guys, we've been playing it correctly.

Spiff, I would assume that would also be the case since the first card hasn't fully resolved until after the second card has fully resolved.

flamethrower49
Playtester

Interesting.  I had been playing more or less that way, but never followed it to its natural conclusion.  I think that's how to solve Ambuscade's "Infinite Card Combo".

The combo in question relies on Quick Stim Patch, Run and Gun, or Armed and Dangerous to keep drawing each other.  If the card doesn't go into the trash until each part of the card is done, all of those cards could theoretically play themselves in order, but none of them would go to the trash until they are all done, thus indicating that Ambuscade can't just keep playing cards until everyone dies.

So, I think you're right, Spiff, but I never considered exactly what that meant. 

You can really see this principle in full effect with Akash'Bhuta's Disrupt the Field.  That one really causes headaches.