The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Times when a hero is straight-up useless?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Girl With N...
Times when a hero is straight-up useless?

It's a testament to >G Game's skill as developers that I almost never feel like a hero is completely useless in a fight. They can always do *something*.

However, there are those exceptions to the rule, where you just think, "This hero is dead weight in this fight."

My personal go-to example for this is Freedom Six Bunker against the Chairman. There are no ongoings to destroy, and without the extra rollout speed of the other Bunker variants (except Panzer-Buster, who has an excellent power regardless), he never actually seems to do anything. 

Does anyone else know of any situations like this?

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Expatriette with all guns and no ammo or vice-versa. Unity with all bots and no equipment or vice-versa. The Adept if he (somehow) ends up with all instruments and no songs. Any heroes who can only deal Melée and Projectile damage (eg Legacy, or Haka in a no-target environment) versus Shu.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Expat with all guns and no ammo is a fine start.  Play a gun and start shooting.  It’s when you start with all ammo in hand that you don’t have much to do since Ammo can’t be played for any benefit in advance of having a gun.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I often don't even bother playing ammo. They're basically like one-shots that add a little bit of damage or damage reduction, far weaker than other heroes' comparable one-shots and mostly worse than her own other cards. But I fail to draw any guns with her pretty often. Slightly less often, BoT Chrono-Ranger with no useful bounties or guns (who is rubbish), AZ with no modules (even worse), or Mr. Fixer with only tools or only styles (not useless but really weak). I rarely get AA with a useless card combination, but it does happen. I've never had a problem with Unity given the amount of card draw she gets.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000

AZ with no modules or a way to get his modules at start of game is a bummer but he can still contribute through hs card plays.  It moreso means that unless you’re F6/F5 AZ you won’t be using the base power.  Mostly it means you aren’t getting the maximum potential out of his damaging one shots. He also has ways to contribute through his Ongoings.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Oh yeah, bit of a derpy moment there - of course Expatriette is useful with guns. Derp. But the rest was right ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Trajector
Trajector's picture

All-projectile and -melee damage heroes can also run into trouble against Omnitron and Grand Warlord Voss.

You can easily put together a team with no Ongoing destruction, which is problems against some villains.

Blackfang108
Playtester

My friend ended up seeing no damaging cards once Spite filpped.  Just deck manipuliation.

That was not fun for him.

Ensign53
Ensign53's picture
Playtester

MindWanderer wrote:

I often don't even bother playing ammo. They're basically like one-shots that add a little bit of damage or damage reduction, far weaker than other heroes' comparable one-shots and mostly worse than her own other cards. But I fail to draw any guns with her pretty often.

I respectfully disagree here. If you play and use her ammo one at a time, then yes, they are like very weak oneshots. 

A lot of Expat's strategy comes from building up to a big turn. (Think a more serious Guise).  You are going to want to keep playing guns and loading ammo until you can get an unload. Speed loading helps you to replay ammo if you either need an immediate effect or dont have much else to do, but you shouldnt hit a standstill and only play then use ammo unless you are not drawing anything else, and at that point pleanty of other heroes would feel useless , so it's unfair to think of that as a uniquely Expat problem.

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

All I know is that Hollow Points + Submachinegun + Aim (with a timely Reveal The Flaws) turned an overwhelming Infinitor board into paste for us last time we played against him and made the rest of the game much easier.

steveothemocker

Nearly every hero against the front side of Miss Information...

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Mr. Fixer with 0 tools in hand to start, and not seeing at least a tool box for 4 rounds.

I think the video game put me into that hell recently in a one-shot. Never occured to me on my inevitable second attempt to shuffle his deck early. Anywho, back on topic.

Thats probably the worst situation I've ever been in playing a hero.

doppelgangerung
doppelgangerung's picture

Tachyon in the recent Heretic one-shot - 1hp damage attacks when every villain target has 2 our more points reduction makes for a very frustrated Tachyon!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Mr FIxer isn't useless without Tools...he still has Styles and can still punch stuff via Strike and erm...the One-Shot that deals two damage whose name I've just gone blank on...

I am the Wordweaver...

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Charge!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Is it just called "Charge"? I figured it had that word in the name somewhere but kept coming up with "Charged Attacks" which is Ambuscade's :P. Apparently I was thinking the name was longer than it actually was :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Legacy, Parse, and Wraith vs the Ennead in Rook City.  Better hope that Shu doesn't come out...

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Powerhound_2000

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

Legacy, Parse, and Wraith vs the Ennead in Rook City.  Better hope that Shu doesn't come out...

Or Megaopolis