The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Thematic matches

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
fba827
Thematic matches

Because I am a glutton for thematics, my gaming group and I try and pick heroes-villain-environment based on something thematic or at least with a story that makes sense to us.  Then I noticed in the statistical compilation elsewhere in these forums that there are several other matches listed where people pick their teams-villain-environment thematically as well.

Because of this I figured it might be fun to post some thematic matchups..

Some of the ones we've done include:

Freedom Four: Legacy, Bunker, Tachyon, Wraith vs anyone (but mostly vs Baron Blade), in Megalopolis

Prime Wardens: Argent Adept, Tempest, Haka vs Akash'Bhuta, in anywhere

Rook City residents: Wraith, Expatriette, Mr Fixer vs Plague Rat or Operative, in Rook City or Pike Industrial

Femme Fetale: any female heroes vs anyone, in anywhere

Boy's Club: any male heroes vs anyone, in anywhere

Heavy Metal: Bunker, Absolute Zero, Unity vs anyone, in anywhere

Gods and Magic: Fanatic, Ra, Nightmist, Argent Adept vs Apostate or Ennead or Gloomweaver, in Temple of Anubis

How about others (or variations of ones already listed) that your group did or that you would like to do ?

Is having fun saving the multiverse

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Hairless - Visionary, Absolute Zero, Tempest, and Omnitron X against GloomWeaver, Omnitron, or Voss. Locationcould be anywhere, and Akash'Bhuta may count as she doesn't technically have "hair".

Gunnin' - Expatriette, Bunker, and Chrono Ranger vs. Ambuscade in Megalopolis or Silver Gulch.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

The prime Wardens also has Redeemer Fanatic in it.

One game I want to play is Legacy + Young Legacy + Greatest Legacy vs. Iron Legacy. That'll be fun.

Other than that, I've done Freedom Six vs. Iron Legacy (a VERY narrow win) and a few others I can't think of right now.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Victor Mancha

Who are Omnitron X, Iron Legacy and Chrono Ranger? I'm new to the game but I haven't seen those guys in the game base or expansions available. Are they from Shattered Timelines? Are you playtesters?

Garou
Garou's picture
Playtester

Omnitron-X and Chrono-Ranger are the two new heroes from Shattered Timelines, and Iron Legacy is the primary antagonist. There are quite a few playtesters on these forums, but a lot of general information is available on the kickstarter campaign site.

Victor Mancha

I see. Thanks.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

McBehrer wrote:

One game I want to play is Legacy + Young Legacy + Greatest Legacy vs. Iron Legacy.

I'm not sure that this would be a winnable game.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

We found that the Freedom Six vs. Iron Legacy was a very one-sided battle in favor of the heroes. Maybe it was just an early build of IL that was too easy, but the Freedom Six seemed built to destroy Iron Legacy. We didn't have a single death.

New Posse in Town - Mr. Fixer, Nightmist, Tempest - any villain - Silver Gulch (not really a spoiler, but they are prominently featured together in the art and flavor text of Silver Gulch)

The Final Guardians - Eternal Haka, Argent Adept, Chrono Ranger - Akash'Bhuta or Plague Rat - The Final Wasteland (again, without spoilers, if you haven't already guessed the nature of The Final Wasteland, let me just say that Akash'Bhuta on Wasteland will be hell)

Mystery Team - Rook City Wraith, Nightmist, Mr. Fixer, Expatriette, Visionary - The Organization - Rook City (I tried to base this team off a typical mystery team; Wraith is the detective, Nightmist is the brains, Fixer is the muscle, Expatriette is the interrogator, and Visionary is the communications expert)

You're free to do whatever you want to.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I have done Akash'Bhuta in the final wasteland. Calling it "hell" is... well...

thoroughly accurate. It makes sense thematically, too, since there's no one to stop her from being her normal, destructive self.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

pcgamerpirate
pcgamerpirate's picture

Get off my lawn / Kids these days...: Young Legacy, Unity, Visionary and Mr. Fixer against the Matriarch in Rook City

Who's side are you on?: Omnitron-X, Fright Train Bunker, Last Stand Wraith vs Iron Legacy

Eye for an Eye: Expatriette, Freedom Tempest, Elemental Absolute Zero against Mad Bomber Blade or Akash

"Defeat by Hippocalypse is no shame, Sentinel. For against Hippocalypse even the strong must fall."

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

Why is Last Stand Wraith a part of the second theme?  Wouldn't Expatriette be a bit more appropriate?

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I think the idea is that they are all former villains, against a former hero.

The problem, of course, being that Last Stand Wraith is NOT, in fact, the operative, but Maia, according to Christopher. So the analogy doesn't QUITE work.

Although, you could replace her with Dark Visionary. That could work.

-- Trajector

pcgamerpirate
pcgamerpirate's picture

I was hoping someone would pick up on Last Stand Wraith doesn't really belong in that set (unless you still cling to her being the operative).

Kismet's nemesis might work also (depending on his origin story)

"Defeat by Hippocalypse is no shame, Sentinel. For against Hippocalypse even the strong must fall."