The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

The Scholar and Uncle Iroh (avatar the last airbender)

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Odin
Odin's picture
The Scholar and Uncle Iroh (avatar the last airbender)

Before I start, I do not know if there is another post on this or if anyone else has noticed it. This is the first thread I have posted so if it has already been addressed or I placed it it the wrong section please move it. Thank you!

Before I started playing SOTM, I watched a lot of Avatar and when I recieved the Scholar the connection was instantaneous. Another friend of mine noticed it as well. Here are a couple pictures of Iroh.

First, physical similarities. Both Iroh and The scholar are heavy old men (well iroh was until he went to jail). Second personality similarities, both are laid back humorous guys. Not to mention both are BA. Both are the archetypal wise old men figures that give other characters advice and pick them up when they have been defeated (art on Don't Dismiss Anything).

Card references and clues:

His incapacitated side shows scholar shirtless and seemingly jacked (similar to iroh when he goes to jail). It also shows in the back the symbols for the four elements fire, water, air and earth which play a large part in avatar. Uncle iroh paints almost these exact same symbols in the dirt for Zuko, his nephew. Now I realize that the philosopher's stone gives him power over these but with the other cards I feel it isn't simply a coincidence.

Know When To Hold Fast: Shows the scholar relaxing on a ship. Iroh often does the same in the first book of Avatar. Also his home is a boat, the same as Iroh and Zuko as they search and later chased the avatar.

Expect The Worst: the flavor text states that he was consumed in flames yet not injured. Iroh is a fire bender or someone who can control fire. Also interesting to note, other than in the three elemental cards adam depicts the scholar using fire or lightening.

Alchemical Redirection: The art shows the scholar redirecting lightening. Iroh is well known for rarely using lightening but constantly redirecting it in a similar manner. In fact he refuses to teach Zuko how to make lightening but readily teaches him how to redirect it.

Thank You for the time! Can someone please confirm this since it has been bothering me for awhile!

I also apologize for any spelling errors!

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

A lot of people compare Scholar to the Dude from the Big Lebowski, although I think most people who have seen Avatar recognize the similarity and reference in Alchemical Redirection.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

You are absolutely correct, Odin, especially with Alchemical Redirection. I specifically asked Adam if that was the intention on that card and he confirmed it.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Odin
Odin's picture

Thanks it was really bothering me.

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

Being a big fan of avatar myself I feel ashamed I didn't think of this, especially since I always loved Iroh's character. Thank you for that connection

jmrburgard
Playtester

This was my first thought going through this deck. 

danmarshall14
danmarshall14's picture

I always saw the Scholar as a combination of Uncle Iroh and Hoenheim from Fullmetal Alchemist. 

So much of it adds up; the use of Alchemy, the possession of the Philosopher's Stone, the blonde hair and beard complete with ponytail.  Yet his mannerisms and way of life seem to mimic Iroh.

Zalrus9
Zalrus9's picture

I agree with all of you. I see elements of Uncle Iroh (that Alchemical redirection art makes a whole lot of sense now!) The Dude and I also see a bt of Hoenhiem, although that might just be because of the hair and the Alchemy. Although, perhaps there will be a promo where he has a homunculus or something...

"An artist's responsibility is to be irresponsible. As soon as you start to think about social or political responsibility, you've amputated the best limbs you've got as an artist."

David Cronenberg

taoqi1117

I totally agree Zalrus, 

Especially on his flipped side he reminds me of Hoenhiem, and he is dressed exactly like the dude. I see the Iroh connection now that I read this thread.