The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

The Potential Scions of OblivAeon

149 posts / 0 new
Last post
Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony
The Potential Scions of OblivAeon

Confirmed as of [Editing] this post: Aeon Master (new), "Super Sonic" Progeny, Voidsoul (Writhe's shadowy symbiote thing), Sanction (celestial tribunal) 

Speculative:

Galactra - It's a no brainer that we will see Galactra as one of the scions. She references having knowledge that Captain Cosmic and his brother got their powers from Oblivion Shards and seems to weild an almost identical power as them in a different shade of color. Given all three have strong ties to OblivAeon and Galactra calling Cap Cos an "imposter", I'm betting the farm that we will see her in the final battle to come.

Empyreon - As a cosmic powered individual with EON at the end of its name, Empyreon makes a lot of sense as being a scion. What sells me more on this idea however is that Empyreon shows up in Cosmic Concurrence #15. Cosmic Concurrence #1 is all about Omnitron II. Cosmic Concurrence is also the book that gives us the comic Scions Aid. It seems to me that the Cosmic Concurrence book has a ton of OblivAeon related material so his apperance in the book certainly catches my eye. We see OblivAeon's hand on Cap Cos's incap art, so having two minor nemesis targets for Cap be Scions of OblivAeon doesn't seem to far fetched either as they are all pretty closely related.

• It's worth mentioning that Greezer is in Cosmic Concurrence for a few issues from #13-18 as well but I am not keen on him being a scion as I am Empyreon. I really feel Greezer is a "B Storyline" in the comic, a side piece of comedy while bigger stuff is going on. Consider that Deadline is also quoted in Cosmic Concurrence #13-18 as well. What do you suppose is the main storyline between those two right? But the Cosmic Concurrence book does bring us some other good guessing material. For instance, we have...

Rahazar - Who is this guy? No idea. But he has two big things going for him to put him in the potential scion catagory. The first is his apperance in Cosmic Concurrence #14. The second one that ties this together is that, somehow for some reason, his nemesis is Parse. Recall that Parse got her powers basically from OblivAeon when it created Omnitron II, and that the same exact thing happened to her a 2nd time to send her into the Fuge State promo territory. Both are direct connections to OblivAeon. Rahazar, given that context, really interests me as a scion.

Ruin - Now that we sorta know a little bit more about The Void, it's importance to the OblivAeon story, and it's connection to Argent Adept, I think a second look needs to be given to Ruin. I don't really have a convincing argument for why Ruin could be a scion other than his possible connection to the Void and Adept though. His quote from V5 Barons deck seems pretty rad though. He could be a being of The Void though which would give him more speculative scion clout then a lot of other guesses.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

We don't know what fully happened with Chokepoint and her deck has flavor text from Cosmic Concurrence #19 which appears to be her attack on the Sentinels and Ft Adamant.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

cmschex
Playtester

Four letters: V-O-S-S

ChronoRanger_101
ChronoRanger_101's picture

I guess when I heard scion initially I was thinking of the scions in progenys deck; a pain and hard to get rid of. Now that we know they're character cards, I figured they were still to the likeness of progenys scions but with hp. But they're actually probably villains on the side of Oblivean? That's neat too. It means various things to look at rather than different colored blobs. And I think it opens the opportunity for the scions to have nemesis symbols since I imagine Oblivean will not. 

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Yeah, the names of the Scion cards are descriptors of Progeny: it is the Scion of Blight, the Scion of the Storm, et cetera, as one of OblivAeon's scions. So Progeny is back as one such Scion and we're getting nine others.

Voss seems likely, as does the thing on Scion's Aid; whether the two are the same remains to be seen...

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Chrono
Chrono's picture
Playtester

If there is a Super Sonic Progeny, could there be other scions that are Progeny clones of other heroes? Like "America's Greatest" Scion or "The Price of Freedom" Scion?

Anyone can game alone, but it is much more fun to game with friends.

Chrono

much0gust0
much0gust0's picture
Playtester

I think Super Sonic Progeny was a play on Sonic the Hedgehog, not Tachyon, lol. After collecting all the chaos emeralds, Sonic becomes all golden and invincible (like Progeny now is!). Hilarious analogy!

MrLeRobot
MrLeRobot's picture
Playtester

Yeah, Voss and Galactra for sure. I really think that the dark passenger that left Visionary (see Unleashed Visionary promo) is another scion, probably he one seens in Scion's Aid.

MrLeRobot...

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

much0gust0 wrote:

I think Super Sonic Progeny was a play on Sonic the Hedgehog, not Tachyon, lol. After collecting all the chaos emeralds, Sonic becomes all golden and invincible (like Progeny now is!). Hilarious analogy!

Ok im glad someone got what I was doing there.

Fun Fact! There is 1 card in SotM that is a clear reference to Sonic the Hedgehog. Can you find it?

ChronoRanger_101

BlueHairedMeerkat wrote:

Yeah, the names of the Scion cards are descriptors of Progeny: it is the Scion of Blight, the Scion of the Storm, et cetera, as one of OblivAeon's scions. So Progeny is back as one such Scion and we're getting nine others.Voss seems likely, as does the thing on Scion's Aid; whether the two are the same remains to be seen...

scion means part of the same family doesn't it? Hmmm interesting. 

Raccoonoo
Raccoonoo's picture

Foote wrote:

much0gust0 wrote:

Ok im glad someone got what I was doing there.Fun Fact! There is 1 card in SotM that is a clear reference to Sonic the Hedgehog. Can you find it?

I believe that would be Friction's supersonic streak.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Correct!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I've just noticed "sonic" is an anagram of "scion" as well :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Tails would be an awesome Scion.

Ironic
Ironic's picture

Truly, it is those who fly above us (on physically-impossible organic helicopters) who have the furthest to fall.

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

Voss is high on my list.

Another on my list is Kaagra Warfang, she made a deal with some "cosmic entity" and gained the Bloodsworn Colleseum and the ability to move it thru reality.

It is also interesting to note, Wrath of the Cosmos came with Infinitor, Kaagra, Deadline, and Progeny.

Infinitor was directly tied to OblivAeon and was killed saving his brother. Progeny is a Scion for OblivAeon. Deadline is now fighting with the heroes against OblivAeon. Kaagra is not mentioned, and that would make her the only one not connected in some manner

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

I give Voss a 10% chance to be in OblivAeon. I'm reasonably sure that Voss isn't slated to be seen again until Tactics IIRC. I know folks have been itching for Voss, but I think that payoff is a ways away.

I'm totally on board with Kaagra

ChronoRanger_101

Just so I fully understand scion is synonymous with minion? It would be cool if some of the mini nemeses return as scions as is being suggested here. It'll cool to hear the ties between the scions and the new heroes, because I'm sure those are where the nemesis match ups happen. 

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture

Scion is not synonymous with minion. More like lieutenant.

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

Foote wrote:

I give Voss a 10% chance to be in OblivAeon. I'm reasonably sure that Voss isn't slated to be seen again until Tactics IIRC. I know folks have been itching for Voss, but I think that payoff is a ways away.I'm totally on board with Kaagra

I can't be certain, but didn't we get some sort of confirmation that the art on O-X's Reset is from around the time of OblivAeon? I've never had much doubt that the shadowy figure getting punched in Reset is Voss, and if that art is from a time when the Scion's were active I'd say the percentages rise sharply.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Belle Sorciere wrote:

Scion is not synonymous with minion. More like lieutenant.

Viktor, Tamar and Tyler Vance confirmed as Scions.

Ironic
Ironic's picture

phantaskippy wrote:
Viktor, Tamar and Tyler Vance confirmed as Scions.
Dammit, Lowsley, we can't have any more stunts like what you just pulled!  Get out of here, before I bust you down to Scion."

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

Powerhound_2000

Chaosmancer wrote:

Foote wrote:
I give Voss a 10% chance to be in OblivAeon. I'm reasonably sure that Voss isn't slated to be seen again until Tactics IIRC. I know folks have been itching for Voss, but I think that payoff is a ways away.I'm totally on board with Kaagra

I can't be certain, but didn't we get some sort of confirmation that the art on O-X's Reset is from around the time of OblivAeon? I've never had much doubt that the shadowy figure getting punched in Reset is Voss, and if that art is from a time when the Scion's were active I'd say the percentages rise sharply.

The flavor text is from Freedom Five Annual #30 but I'm not sure the artwork matches with the text especially since we see the normal Omnitron in the card and not Omnitron-U

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Chaosmancer wrote:
 Foote wrote:

The flavor text is from Freedom Five Annual #30 but I'm not sure the artwork matches with the text especially since we see the normal Omnitron in the card and not Omnitron-U

True, but we see the normal Omnitron-X body fighting the Aeon men in Defensive blast. Very likely that O-U reassembled his old body and then rebooted it, hence "Reset"

Powerhound_2000

Chaosmancer wrote:

True, but we see the normal Omnitron-X body fighting the Aeon men in Defensive blast. Very likely that O-U reassembled his old body and then rebooted it, hence "Reset"

I could see that.   I would argue that the figure in the background of Reset is not necessarily Voss.   

RPGFanboy
Playtester

Was that lady with the green fire and armor in the Twitch stream Citizen Dawn as a Scion?

Powerhound_2000

It was Sanction and I doubt it 

cmschex
Playtester

I think it's Celestial Adjudicator as a Scion

ChronoRanger_101

THats two more scions we know of now. Sanction and VoidSoul (?). Also Christopher said about half are new characters and halfish of the scions are familiar villains. 

And they literally have no choice but to help Oblivean. 

skoticus
skoticus's picture

ChronoRanger_101 wrote:

And they literally have no choice but to help Oblivean. 

he said some were compelled and some were volunteers. 

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

He also said they literally had no choice.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Trajector
Trajector's picture

So really the only difference is whether they agreed to be scions the first time OblivAeon asked....or the second.

cmschex
Playtester

I wonder if Voidsoul counts as new given that we've seen him on Writhe's incap but never been officially introduced.  If he's new that would mean that we have 2 new ones (with Aeon Master) and Sanction and Progeny we've seen before (they've been their own decks or targets).

He also confirmed one of the Scions would essentially be a double agent of sorts, working for his/her/its own means against OblivAeon

Powerhound_2000

Voidsoul shows up on Cause and Effect in Setback's deck which was the first time we saw him and it has flavor text from Freedom Five Annual #30.    Where did we see Sanction before?

Raccoonoo
Raccoonoo's picture

I think she's the Celestial Adjudicator from the Celestial Tribunal environment.

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Raccoonoo wrote:

I think she's the Celestial Adjudicator from the Celestial Tribunal environment.

Wow nice catch! Completely missed that but had this feeling Sanction looked familiar.

Powerhound_2000

Even the background is similar to her card in Celestial Tribunal.   Considering where she came from it makes me wonder if she would be the one from Scion's aid.  Only piece that seems off is this her eyes are red in the deck but in that drawing her eyes are yellow.

DerpTheBugbear
DerpTheBugbear's picture

Some more proof that Sanction is definitely Adjudicator... The filename he saved it as was "Corrupted Adjudicator"

Ironic
Ironic's picture

I'd bet a shiny penny that the Scion's Aid one is a character with a little more personal resonance among the players than the Adjudicator.

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

Powerhound_2000

There are still other possibilities sure but the Adjudicator of the known Scions would be my guess currently.  

TheSoundOfTrees

If the "Aiding Scion" is a fixed character (rather than randomly decided by a mission during the game, for instance), it seems too massive and muscular to be Sanction, on the cover we know.

Any view of things that is not strange is false - Neil Gaiman

Raccoonoo
Raccoonoo's picture

Christopher has revealed the traitorous scion's character card will have mechanics that reflect it's duplicitous nature, so I doubt it will be randomly decided.

He also mentioned that the traitor is the only scion powerful enough to resist Oblivaeon's control. Even with what little we know about Big O, that's definitely not a feat to be taken lightly. 

ChronoRanger_101

Raccoonoo wrote:

Christopher has revealed the traitorous scion's character card will have mechanics that reflect it's duplicitous nature, so I doubt it will be randomly decided.He also mentioned that the traitor is the only scion powerful enough to resist Oblivaeon's control. Even with what little we know about Big O, that's definitely not a feat to be taken lightly. 

hmmm this begs the question is this someone we already know? Progeny maybe? 

Ironic
Ironic's picture

It is almost assured to be someone we know already, because there would be no point in hiding their identity otherwise.

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

It will be someone we know. From the livestream:

Mirado28: @gtgchristopher if we guess who the Scion is that's "aiding" the heroes will you confirm it or just deflect it in your usual wonderfully cryptic manner? :P

GTGChristopher: @Mirado28 I will definitely not confirm it. You can guess all you like, but you will find out when you get the game in hand. Even the playtesters will not know.

cmschex: oh this is going to be a fun challenge in playtesting…

cmschex: trying to guess who the double agent is

GTGChristopher: @Cmschex Oh, you'll know the double agent. Just not their true identity.

cmschex: well that isn't mysterious at all :)

GTGChristopher: @Cmschex *juggles smoke bombs*

That certainly sounds like it's a familiar face.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

My guess is that the Cursed Acolyte is a Svion and OblivAeon took his pants.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

TheSoundOfTrees

Pydro wrote:

My guess is that the Cursed Acolyte is a Svion and OblivAeon took his pants.

It's a Fixed Point.

Any view of things that is not strange is false - Neil Gaiman

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I wonder if Ra is a possibility?

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Voidsoul shows up on Cause and Effect in Setback's deck which was the first time we saw him and it has flavor text from Freedom Five Annual #30.    Where did we see Sanction before?

Technically the first apperance of Voidsoul would be base Writhe's incap art from a timeline perspective. But good call on the flavor text of C&E being from Freedom Five Annual #30

Also! From the recent livestream, it was confirmed that Dark Visionary partly resides in the Void. The incap art for Citizen Hammer shows them in the Void as well. This seems rather significant to me. I am fully on the Dark Visionary = Scions Aid bandwagon after that little nugget of knowledge.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

What about The Scholar? This is a complete shot in the dark, and I don't really have any evidence to back it up, except that we see him begin to vanish on his Infinite incap side, and this could be how he returns. That's a huge stretch but I've got no other ideas. Though I'd also enjoy seeing Dark Visionary as the aide as well.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

My guess is Mrs. Parsons.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Pages